Jilted ex-boyfriend puts up abortion billboard - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 06-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Jilted ex-boyfriend puts up abortion billboard

Since we've had a few short discussions of personal freedoms and the like, I give you this gem:

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/jilted-ex...194142831.html

Quote:
ALAMOGORDO, N.M. (AP) — A New Mexico man's decision to lash out with a billboard ad saying his ex-girlfriend had an abortion against his wishes has touched off a legal debate over free speech and privacy rights.

The sign on Alamogordo's main thoroughfare shows 35-year-old Greg Fultz holding the outline of an infant. The text reads, "This Would Have Been A Picture Of My 2-Month Old Baby If The Mother Had Decided To Not KILL Our Child!"

Fultz's ex-girlfriend has taken him to court for harassment and violation of privacy. A domestic court official has recommended the billboard be removed.

But Fultz's attorney argues the order violates his client's free speech rights.

"As distasteful and offensive as the sign may be to some, for over 200 years in this country the First Amendment protects distasteful and offensive speech," Todd Holmes said.

The woman's friends say she had a miscarriage, not an abortion, according to a report in the Albuquerque Journal.

Holmes disputes that, saying his case is based on the accuracy of his client's statement.

"My argument is: What Fultz said is the truth," Holmes said.

The woman's lawyer said she had not discussed the pregnancy with her client. But for Ellen Jessen, whether her client had a miscarriage or an abortion is not the point. The central issue is her client's privacy and the fact that the billboard has caused severe emotional distress, Jessen said.

"Her private life is not a matter of public interest," she told the Alamogordo Daily News.

Jessen says her client's ex-boyfriend has crossed the line.

"Nobody is stopping him from talking about father's rights. ... but a person can't invade someone's private life."

For his part, Holmes invoked the U.S. Supreme Court decision from earlier this year concerning the Westboro Baptist Church, which is known for its anti-gay protests at military funerals and other high-profile events. He believes the high court's decision to allow the protests, as hurtful as they are, is grounds for his client to put up the abortion billboard.

"Very unpopular offensive speech," he told the Alamogordo Daily News. "The Supreme Court, in an 8 to 1 decision, said that is protected speech."

Holmes says he is going to fight the order to remove the billboard through a District Court appeal.
OK, ignoring the abortion debate entirely (because she may have just miscarried and the general breakdown will be the "it's wrong" and "it's her choice" and that's a lame discussion these days) and that fact that the fat ugly guy who did this with the Pro-Lifers is an utter douche and should learn to deal, is what he has done within his rights or a violation of his exes rights - or both?

Although he didn't use her name, anyone who knows him probably knows who the woman is, which should be enough to violate her right to privacy and I would argue could be a case of libel - particularly if it wasn't an abortion in the first place, even though it makes me wonder how this man could be that stupid... perhaps it was an induced early delivery due to complications that was killing the child anyway, who knows.

Seems overly suspect and in the end is a good lesson to know the person you are having sex with, just in case. Also, archaic man opinion of having any rights over a woman's body, but it is New Mexico... who knows what they believe down there.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (06-08-2011), Miburo (06-08-2011), Sensei-Q (06-11-2011)

Old 06-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
stubborn_d0nkey
Kage

Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,129 Posts
stubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the rough
Re: Jilted ex-boyfriend puts up abortion billboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkamaruChewtoy View Post

Although he didn't use her name, anyone who knows him probably knows who the woman is, which should be enough to violate her right to privacy and I would argue could be a case of libel - particularly if it wasn't an abortion in the first place, even though it makes me wonder how this man could be that stupid... perhaps it was an induced early delivery due to complications that was killing the child anyway, who knows.
To add to the bolded, anybody who knows him well enough to know her and care about whats going on in her life probably already knows about the pregnancy and abortion and shit

Quote:
archaic man opinion of having any rights over a woman's body
I thought you said you didnt want an abortion debate, yet you add this.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quotes for noobs (learn how to break up a quote)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future
So you can post the second bit and i shouldnt be allowed to if i dont tell you? Why be so rude?

Anyways, here is a quotes for noobs guide

1. A basic quote

[*QUOTE][*/QUOTE]

(the * need to be removed for it to work, I put them in so you can see the text) is a basic quote that just wraps something in a quote without saying who quoted it who quoted so

[*QUOTE]this is a quote[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
this is a quote

Edit: there is a button for this, it looks like a speech bubble. If you select text and then press the button the selected text will automatically be wrapped with the quote tag

2. A quote that says who said it

[*QUOTE=who said it][*/QUOTE] this adds who said the post, manually putting that there can be useful when quoting something external. Example:

[*QUOTE=Mangastream]Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangastream
Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us
3. A quote that says who said it and links to the post where it was said

[*QUOTE=who said it;X][*/QUOTE]

Where X is the post number.

For the post that i originally quoted it would look like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]

That is what you get when you press the quote button.

4. Breaking up a quote

Now that you know how quotes work it all boils down to preference, how you want it to look like and how you want to do it.

One way of doing it is copying the latter part of the original quote [*/QUOTE] and then pasting it after each section you break up, write your reply, choose the text you want then paste it after that portion, repeat till you finish the go back and copy then paste the first part of the text at the beginning of each portion of text. Of course you can immediately copy and paste both parts of a poste so that you dont forget one in the end.

The end result would be something like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which without any * would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4

Another way of doing it would be to cut and paste the second part of the quote tag after the first section of text you want to seperate then write your reply select the second part and hit he quote button (it looks like a text bubble),if you do that without anything else the end result would be

My reply 1
[*QUOTE] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
my reply 2
Quote:
my reply 3
Quote:
my reply 4

To make it like the previous example (which wpuld be preferred, though not necessary ) copy the part that says who posted with the link to the post and paste it accordingly to the proper part in each first half of each quote tag. In my I would copy =minato uchiha;2118164 and paste it where the # is
[*QUOTE#] to get [*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] (of course with the * removed)

Of course you can use any other method you like to get to the end result, but now that you know what the end rwsult looks like I think there shouldnt be any problems
stubborn_d0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubborn_d0nkey View Post
I thought you said you didnt want an abortion debate, yet you add this.
Slightly different in my mind. The billboard isn't bringing up just the "right or wrong" argument of abortion, but by publicly stating that it happen, he is announcing that the pregnancy was part his, i.e. rights over the woman's body because he put his semen in there. I would bring up the same thing about men who advertise pregnancy with "we're pregnant". She was pregnant, all decisions about it are hers, including publicity of it. This billboard seems to announce that he had say on it. A much broader topic than abortion.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Miburo (06-08-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
stubborn_d0nkey
Kage

Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,129 Posts
stubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Slightly different in my mind. The billboard isn't bringing up just the "right or wrong" argument of abortion, but by publicly stating that it happen, he is announcing that the pregnancy was part his, i.e. rights over the woman's body because he put his semen in there. I would bring up the same thing about men who advertise pregnancy with "we're pregnant". She was pregnant, all decisions about it are hers, including publicity of it. This billboard seems to announce that he had say on it. A much broader topic than abortion.
Well, for me "is abortion right or wrong" isn't the exclusive topic that would be called an abortion debate. It seems that you give it exclusivity, since however you word it, it pretty much boils down to whether or not the future husband has a say in stopping an abortion. That would be the abortion issue/debate concerning this article, not if its right or wrond

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quotes for noobs (learn how to break up a quote)
Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future
So you can post the second bit and i shouldnt be allowed to if i dont tell you? Why be so rude?

Anyways, here is a quotes for noobs guide

1. A basic quote

[*QUOTE][*/QUOTE]

(the * need to be removed for it to work, I put them in so you can see the text) is a basic quote that just wraps something in a quote without saying who quoted it who quoted so

[*QUOTE]this is a quote[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
this is a quote

Edit: there is a button for this, it looks like a speech bubble. If you select text and then press the button the selected text will automatically be wrapped with the quote tag

2. A quote that says who said it

[*QUOTE=who said it][*/QUOTE] this adds who said the post, manually putting that there can be useful when quoting something external. Example:

[*QUOTE=Mangastream]Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangastream
Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us
3. A quote that says who said it and links to the post where it was said

[*QUOTE=who said it;X][*/QUOTE]

Where X is the post number.

For the post that i originally quoted it would look like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]

That is what you get when you press the quote button.

4. Breaking up a quote

Now that you know how quotes work it all boils down to preference, how you want it to look like and how you want to do it.

One way of doing it is copying the latter part of the original quote [*/QUOTE] and then pasting it after each section you break up, write your reply, choose the text you want then paste it after that portion, repeat till you finish the go back and copy then paste the first part of the text at the beginning of each portion of text. Of course you can immediately copy and paste both parts of a poste so that you dont forget one in the end.

The end result would be something like this

My reply 1
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which without any * would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
my reply 2
Quote:
my reply 3
Quote:
my reply 4

Another way of doing it would be to cut and paste the second part of the quote tag after the first section of text you want to seperate then write your reply select the second part and hit he quote button (it looks like a text bubble),if you do that without anything else the end result would be

My reply 1
[*QUOTE] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
my reply 2
Quote:
my reply 3
Quote:
my reply 4

To make it like the previous example (which wpuld be preferred, though not necessary ) copy the part that says who posted with the link to the post and paste it accordingly to the proper part in each first half of each quote tag. In my I would copy =minato uchiha;2118164 and paste it where the # is
[*QUOTE#] to get [*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] (of course with the * removed)

Of course you can use any other method you like to get to the end result, but now that you know what the end rwsult looks like I think there shouldnt be any problems

Last edited by stubborn_d0nkey; 06-08-2011 at 03:38 PM.
stubborn_d0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,657 Times in 1,600 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

Quote:
For his part, Holmes invoked the U.S. Supreme Court decision from earlier this year concerning the Westboro Baptist Church, which is known for its anti-gay protests at military funerals and other high-profile events. He believes the high court's decision to allow the protests, as hurtful as they are, is grounds for his client to put up the abortion billboard.
I just knew that case would have long lasting implications. As pathetic as it is protesting at funerals, I'd say this is worse. This guy is a hardcore douche.

There has to be some way to find the truth behind the matter. If it really was an abortion, she must have went to a clinic or hospital to have it done. Dude should have done a little research, and asked around before just assuming shit. What if she really did have a miscarriage? That would make this guy a super douche.

ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

Could argue it's libel since she didn't kill anything no matter what. She definitely didn't kill a child, even if you view it from a retarded anti-freedom point of view. A doctor did a medical procedure. Even if you believe something was killed, then the doctor was the one who did it. Not her. Though, without naming her or posting her picture or anything that argument would be iffy at best.

The dude's lawyer is an idiot with the "He's being truthful" argument. A better argument would be that he was promoting father rights or it was some anti-freedom ad or some shit. That's what I would assume if I saw a billboard like that anyway. Not that the dude on the billboard was being literal, because holy shit that's extra ridiculous hardcore douchey.

So on the issue of rights, so long as he isn't violating the law (libel, in this case) then he should be able to say whatever he wants. If he had something entirely truthful put on a billboard then that would be fine. The only other thing that would play a factor is the legality of sharing personal information with the public. I would assume there must be some law that prevents someone from sharing medical information, or other sensitive personal info without the consent of whoever the personal information belongs to. For example, you probably can't share someone's social security card info just because you obtained it by some means. I dunno what that would be though, I'd have to look into it. Still, that isn't really relevant since one could argue that he wasn't specific enough for it to matter. For all anyone knows he's talking about some chick he was dating on the side or raped at a party or whatever. He should be in the clear here, legally. Which is fine, he's only really showing everyone how much of a massive pile of shit he is as a person anyway.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,264 Posts
Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

Haven't read all the arguments, I am a little lazy right now, but in german law, there is a clear principle on personal rights: Ones personal freedom ends, when it invades the personal freedom of another. Clearly this ad is a violation against the womans privacy, and should therefore be removed.

Also, goddamn christian fundamentalists...
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nerox For This Useful Post:
Miburo (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
EphemeralStar
Genin

EphemeralStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't really know about "father rights" in a case like this. :O Weird... but makes sense.
But the guy is a prick. He took things too far and should get his assed dumped. Who does that to their girlfriend? o_O
EphemeralStar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EphemeralStar For This Useful Post:
Miburo (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
ninjalostboy95
Moe game on point

Thanked 4,705 Times in 2,857 Posts
ninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really nice

Why would he say she had an abortion with no proof of it to show? The lack of evidence is what makes his lawyer stupid for saying "He's speaking the truth" In my opinion. Don't they have a medical record if it was an abortion or not? If not then this case should be dismissed because it's hard to fight against something the First Amendment protects. If she wins good, but I don't think she will.
ninjalostboy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjalostboy95 View Post
Why would he say she had an abortion with no proof of it to show?
Because he's hurt for them no longer being together, obviously.

Quote:
The lack of evidence is what makes his lawyer stupid for saying "He's speaking the truth" In my opinion. Don't they have a medical record if it was an abortion or not?
If she did have an abortion, her medical records are private between her and her doctor. He would have no legal way to access them outside of her giving permission or a warrant, which he has nothing to use to get a warrant.

Quote:
If not then this case should be dismissed because it's hard to fight against something the First Amendment protects. If she wins good, but I don't think she will.
Chances are it will be dismissed and the city will be forced to take the billboard down. As the billboard doesn't contain her name or image, she doesn't have a case for harassment or libel. The only thing she could use is emotional distress suffered while the billboard is up.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
Mal (06-09-2011), Nerox (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

If this was the whole story, they he'd be fine. Not harassment, not libel, not a violation of privacy.

But looking into it a bit, seems like this isn't the whole story at all. The billboard originally had a thing at the bottom that said "Created for N.A.N.I." which stands for the National Association for Needed Information or some shit. It's an organization he made up himself. Which also happens to be his ex-girlfriend's name (Nani). He changed it after the charges were made against him.

It was also said at numerous different sites that she was only 18, possibly younger at the start of their relationship. Also appears like he has previous history of harassing her. Which will fuck him in court if true. She was also granted a restraining order on him. He supposedly has a twitter account where he posted crazy shit about shooting ex's and shit. But I don't care enough to verify that shit by actually going to the twitter website, because fuck twitter.

Edit:

Here is a link where you can see some of his tweets:

http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.a...81474979425006

Holy shit, this guy.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
ACt (06-09-2011), ask me anything (06-09-2011), kluang (06-11-2011), Mal (06-10-2011), Nerox (06-10-2011), Sensei-Q (06-11-2011), stubborn_d0nkey (06-10-2011), UchihaTaijiya (06-11-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #12
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like two face and poison ivy relationshup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh8qgKoWKAA

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kluang For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (06-11-2011)