An open letter to the Democrats and the Republicans - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 07-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
An open letter to the Democrats and the Republicans

Dear politicians of the great nation of USofA,

We know you guys run a pretty impressive country, full of freedom, liberty and justice. Since freeing the slaves, you're ancestors have dragged a cobbled together nation from an obscure ex-British colony into a world power, who drives with economic and military strength. Nearly every country in the world is in some way beholden to you, either for military protection, economic stability or, at the very least, from some of the great innovations that have been born from your people's labours, both scientifically, socially and politically. (As a Canadian, I feel tied to pretty much everything American many days of my life).

Sure, you're not perfect, but who is? I'm certain that if you give the same sort of power to the Portuguese, they would make similar blunders and errors as well as successes. I don't want to get into the many problems people face because it only opens the door for finger pointing to any countries weakness.

Instead, I want to focus on a little thing we call your debt. And I use little ironically. Because it's over $14 trillion US. I, honestly, can't fathom that number. I googled it to see if I could find something that compared and the first page of hits were all about the US debt, so I am left to conclude that there is nothing we can point to that matches the phenomenal whole you've dug yourself.

And dug it you have, borrowing, spending, building. A cycle of money that has been in one door and out the door. No, you aren't the only country to do this, but the simple fact remains: right now, you are the only country who can hold a debt this large.

Therein lies the problem. All your creditors are poorer than you. None of us can cover such a number, even as a group. We actually live in the world where the US debt is one of the safest investments anyone can take on because how could the richest nation in the world default?

Except that is exactly what you are about to do. Your (self-imposed) debt ceiling stands at $14.3 trillion US. If you pass that, you do default and would trigger an economic collapse that would drag your country into a depression - and, well, pretty much the rest of the world, too.

But don't fear, your President tells us. All you need to do is get together as a group and decide to raise the ceiling so you can keep from defaulting and carry on the trail of spending. You just need to come to an agreement by Aug 2 and all will be well. We accepted now, but now find ourselves three weeks from that date and all we here is two sides, miles apart, pandering over ideologies surrounding this debt, in all their partisan glory.

Problem: This issue doesn't just effect you! We are all being held hostage by your politicking, uncertain if we can move forward. We didn't vote for you, but heed us as good neighbours. Piss off and fix this, now.

Republicans - I understand your utter fear of the word "tax", but when you are spending money, you need to bring money in. Preferable more money than you spend. Cuts won't suffice in this case, particularly because I don't think you're ready to cut the biggest spender in your budget, the US Military. By holding this stance, you put a gun to the head of every middle class American, the very people you supposedly champion, threatening to remove any social assistance in exchange to protect those who benefit most from tax shelters: the rich. Somehow you have gotten enough people to swallow that you care, and good for you, but can you so blatantly be cold and uncaring? Furthermore, can you even say the word negotiation when your very stance is "our way or the highway"? I assure you, you will not like that highway.

Democrats - I understand what a great thing universal medicare and social programs are (I am a Canadian, after all), but surely you saw this coming, right? A ballooning debt and you decide to add trillions to it, thinking A) all will be fine and B) no one will notice that our debt ceiling is approaching. It doesn't make sense that no one took at look at the studdering economy and said, "Hold on, boys. This could turn out bad for us economically and politically." (I'm sure someone did.) You like to claim you are for common sense and the common man. Well, this smacks of ineptness and a lack of foresight. Change takes time to be done right. Stop rushing where you should tread lightly. Fix the financial environment before you start throwing out bonuses to everyone.

Now, I know you will raise the ceiling, you won't default and the world will carry on. Capitalism won't allow you to fail until there is at least a comparable alternative (and China is not even close yet). Those businessmen love their money. So, my plea is probably easily ignored, especially since I don't vote for you - if indeed you do listen to voters. But this situation is deplorable, disgusting and insanity personified. $14+ trillion US and growing. $46,000+ US for every man, woman and child in your nation. Your friends and neighbours are starting to worry about you. It's time to put aside your middle life crisis, stop buying those new ferraris ballistic missiles and get your house in order.

For your future. For our future.

It's time for an intervention.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
01purple (07-08-2011), ask me anything (07-08-2011), Axiom (07-08-2011), gaarasandchick13 (07-10-2011), kael03 (07-08-2011), kluang (07-08-2011), Mal (07-08-2011), Marlboro (07-11-2011), Miburo (07-09-2011), Nerox (07-09-2011), ninjalostboy95 (07-09-2011), Numinous (07-08-2011), Spiegel (07-09-2011), stubborn_d0nkey (07-08-2011), That1CheezyGuy (07-08-2011), UchihaTaijiya (07-10-2011)

Old 07-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light
Re: An open letter to the Democrats and the Republicans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACt View Post
Sure, you're not perfect, but who is? I'm certain that if you give the same sort of power to the Portuguese, they would make similar blunders and errors as well as successes. I don't want to get into the many problems people face because it only opens the door for finger pointing to any countries weakness.
Had to stop here and say: I see what you did there.

But don't worry, we already gave our opinion on that...

*continues to read the rest*

Edit: Now that I've read it, I agree on the taxes and military cuts. For example, I've read news articles that say the state of New York alone could be cashing in almost 40 million dollars a year worth of taxes from churches, synagogues, religious institutes, etc. I know it's not much in the big picture of things, but every bit counts to overcome the global financial crisis.

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Last edited by Numinous; 07-08-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
ACt (07-08-2011), Axiom (07-08-2011), UchihaTaijiya (07-10-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

Thanked 4,134 Times in 1,402 Posts
LonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACt View Post
Problem: This issue doesn't just effect you! We are all being held hostage by your politicking, uncertain if we can move forward. We didn't vote for you, but heed us as good neighbours. Piss off and fix this, now.
As an average, everyday American I do actually forget about this. Now I have to feel even worse about my country's shit political system.

Quote:
Republicans - I understand your utter fear of the word "tax", but when you are spending money, you need to bring money in. Preferable more money than you spend. Cuts won't suffice in this case, particularly because I don't think you're ready to cut the biggest spender in your budget, the US Military. By holding this stance, you put a gun to the head of every middle class American, the very people you supposedly champion, threatening to remove any social assistance in exchange to protect those who benefit most from tax shelters: the rich. Somehow you have gotten enough people to swallow that you care, and good for you, but can you so blatantly be cold and uncaring? Furthermore, can you even say the word negotiation when your very stance is "our way or the highway"? I assure you, you will not like that highway.
This whole thing, holy shit, right on the money. "We need more money, but don't tax me bro!" That's just fucking stupid. "Don't tax the rich because then they won't hire any more people!" News flash: they aren't hiring people anyways. What kills me is the group of billionaires who are petitioning the government to tax them more. For fuck's sake, they're asking the government to take their money! "But nooo, fuck the middle class," the politicians say, "and give ourselves bonuses!" Asinine.

Quote:
Democrats -
Are pussies. They need to man the fuck up.

Would you mind if I e-mailed this to my Congressman? I'd give you props and all that, of course. I just want something to be done.
ACt (07-08-2011), Axiom (07-08-2011), kael03 (07-08-2011), Miburo (07-09-2011), Numinous (07-08-2011), Skullbat01 (07-17-2011), Spiegel (07-09-2011), stubborn_d0nkey (07-08-2011), That1CheezyGuy (07-08-2011), UchihaTaijiya (07-10-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
Axiom
[something clever]

Axiom is an unknown quantity at this point

You pompous, pretentious Canadian fuck. How dare you eloquently, and accurately describe the financial state of affairs of my country. I am disgusted in total agreement.
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Axiom For This Useful Post:
01purple (07-08-2011), ACt (07-08-2011), Mal (07-08-2011), Miburo (07-09-2011), Nerox (07-09-2011), stubborn_d0nkey (07-09-2011), That1CheezyGuy (07-08-2011), UchihaTaijiya (07-10-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyNinja View Post
Would you mind if I e-mailed this to my Congressman? I'd give you props and all that, of course. I just want something to be done.
Go for it. Spread it around, put your name on it. If I was worried about ownership, I wouldn't post stuff on the internet.

(Well, except for AG material, but then, that's only posted for people who aren't douchebags.)
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
LonelyNinja (07-09-2011), Miburo (07-09-2011), Nerox (07-09-2011), UchihaTaijiya (07-10-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 01:50 AM   #6
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

LonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura about

Well, looks like I can't e-mail it to the Republican, Mormon fuck, but I'll print it out and mail it to him. Chances are he won't receive it until August 2nd passes, but oh well.

Edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14070997 Just... fuck, man. This country is broken.

Last edited by LonelyNinja; 07-09-2011 at 02:06 AM.
LonelyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LonelyNinja For This Useful Post:
Mal (07-09-2011), Miburo (07-09-2011), UchihaTaijiya (07-10-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #7
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Not being able to email your congressman is pretty retarded. I was able to email Bob Dole when he won the election for school president when my friends and I campaigned for everyone to add a box and vote for him.

He didn't reply, as I expected, but I was still able to send it.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Miburo (07-09-2011), UchihaTaijiya (07-10-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Thanked 12,472 Times in 3,664 Posts
Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold

Don't worry lads, we've got this.

DOSH DOSH DOSH DOSH DOSH DOSH DOSH DOSH DOSH
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jaxon For This Useful Post:
Azumi (07-25-2011), Demi-God (07-09-2011), Miburo (07-09-2011), Numinous (07-09-2011), RNB (07-09-2011), That1CheezyGuy (07-09-2011), UchihaTaijiya (07-10-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,264 Posts
Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

I can only shake my head at the political/economical system of the USA. It sure worked when we were in the early 1900th, but the time has long passed.

At least "socially save" and democratic states hold the most part of the depts...oh wait...

Basically that is the speech our economics professor gave yesterday, and that guy knows his shit. So I can say I wholeheartedly agree, props old chap.
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nerox For This Useful Post:
Miburo (07-09-2011), UchihaTaijiya (07-10-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

After some more digging I've found his e-mail shit. Good to know he's not completely ass backwards, bad to know that I'm probably going blind. Or maybe it's selective blindness since I'd really rather not let my e-mail into the government database for monitoring, but I must throw caution to the wind!

Lolol, sending the e-mail under the subject "Government Reform."

Last edited by LonelyNinja; 07-09-2011 at 12:22 PM.
LonelyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LonelyNinja For This Useful Post:
Mal (07-09-2011), Miburo (07-09-2011), UchihaTaijiya (07-10-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #11
RNB
El Topo

Thanked 1,887 Times in 822 Posts
RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough

There is a website that will send the email for you, but I can't remember the name of it. I remember sending letters to my congressmen when I was part of the Ron Paul circle jerk. While I am somewhat embarrassed of all of that, I didn't know many other freshmen and sophomores in high school who were writing letters to their congressmen.

Nowadays, I realize that doesn't do shit, so I just worry about taking advantage of the good I do have before it leaves me.

- Heraclitus
RNB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RNB For This Useful Post:
Jaxon (07-09-2011), Miburo (07-09-2011), UchihaTaijiya (07-10-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #12
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Related .
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Miburo (07-09-2011), RNB (07-10-2011), UchihaTaijiya (07-10-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, Ron Paul.

I had a massive as fuck post about all this political shit written out, but computer at work froze and I lost it. So fuck it. Plus, politics suck. I can't do shit about all the ridiculous shit that goes on, because the whole process is retarded as fuck. The whole system needs fixing, and that's not going to happen unless something hardcore drastic happens.

Party system is stupid and only divides people who should be all working together to make shit better for the people of their country. The whole lobbyist bullshit should be illegal. We shouldn't be in any wars now, we shouldn't be spending anywhere near as much on military as we do now, we shouldn't be giving shitholes foreign aid, etc. We should tax the rich more. But we should have a good universal healthcare program, and it's absolutely goddamn horrible that we don't already when pretty much every non-shithole country does. The people who have it worst in america are lower middle class people who are usually pretty decent dudes and work, but can't afford decent healthcare. It's pretty goddamn bad that you're better off being in prison, as far as getting standard healthcare goes, than working at your average service job.

The debt thing, eh. Yeah, it's fucking ridiculous, like pretty much everything political. But the odds of the US actually defaulting are pretty damn low. On the other hand, it's also pretty shameful on the rest of the goddamn world that they're so reliant on the US that if it goes down they all go with it. Seriously, seems to me that everyone is doing shit wrong.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
Nerox (07-10-2011), RNB (07-10-2011), Scientia (07-12-2011), UchihaTaijiya (07-10-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #14
ninjalostboy95
Moe game on point

Thanked 4,704 Times in 2,856 Posts
ninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really niceninjalostboy95 is just really nice

Default date is August 2nd. I want to see if it will happen. Also, I recently found out that the feds stopped printing money. So umm, I just think everything will cost more. Don't really care for politics since they are full of shit.
ninjalostboy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #15
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjalostboy95 View Post
Fuck politics and knowing what I'm talking about, jerk off to naruto hentai

Never letting that die.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
Jaxon (07-14-2011), Mal (07-10-2011), Nerox (07-10-2011), RNB (07-10-2011), UchihaTaijiya (07-10-2011)