Republicans - "Freedom of Religion lolwut?" - Page 2 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #16
RNB
El Topo

Thanked 1,887 Times in 822 Posts
RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough
Re: Republicans - "Freedom of Religion lolwut?"

Dude, Rastafarianism is already banned. I am pretty sure you can't smoke the ganja for religious purposes.

- Heraclitus
RNB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #17
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Imo, the only true religion is that of Pastafarianism. There can be only one true deity, and that is the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
kael03 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
kluang (07-19-2011), Skullbat01 (07-21-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 03:25 AM   #18
Skullbat01
ANBU

Skullbat01 is an unknown quantity at this point

its sad because apparently know one gave him the memo that 'black' demographics (i use the term to refer to both african and african decendent( african american/ cuban/ french/ english /etc groups ) are predominantly muslim hey you dumbass way to shit on your own people!
Skullbat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #19
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,264 Posts
Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullbat01 View Post
its sad because apparently know one gave him the memo that 'black' demographics (i use the term to refer to both african and african decendent( african american/ cuban/ french/ english /etc groups ) are predominantly muslim hey you dumbass way to shit on your own people!
How about no? I am too lazy to google statistics, but I bet, most of the african americans, cubans, mexicans etc. are catholic.
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nerox For This Useful Post:
kael03 (07-21-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #20
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Wait, when did hispanic and white people become African? Other than the theory that anatomically modern humans first appeared in Africa and spread from there. But if you're referring to the current population than you are severely mistaken about your demographics. I'll respond with Nerox's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerox View Post
How about no? I am too lazy to google statistics, but I bet, most of the african americans, cubans, mexicans etc. are catholic.
It's difficult to find a specific site for all ethnicities, as the United States' Census doesn't record religious affiliation. I did a quick google search for African American muslims and the first site given was "blackdemographics.com" so take from that what you will. But here's the layout they gave as of 2008:

Baptist - 45%
Catholic - 6%
Mainline Christian - 7%
Christian Generic - 15%
Pentecostal/Charismatic - 7%
Protestant Denomination - 6%
Mormon/ Latter - 0%
Jewish/Judaism - 0%
Eastern Religions - 0%
Muslim/Islam - 1%
New /Other Religions - 1%
Nones - 11%
Refused to answer - 2%

That's just in the United States. Clearly there is a large majority of African Americans practicing Islam.

This data is taken from http://www.blackdemographics.com/religion.html and is based on data collected by the Leonard T. Greenberg Center for the Study of Religion in Public Life.

I couldn't find exact statistics for Cuban Americans, but as Cuba is predominantly Catholic it's safe to say that Cuban Americans are predominantly Catholic or some denomination of Catholicism. There are some that practice Santeria, but the majority do NOT practice Islam. The same goes for Mexican Americans (minus the practicing of Santeria), as Spanish influenced/colonized countries like Mexico are heavily Catholic. Those parental faiths have a tendency to stick with children.

The main thing I kept seeing is that the Muslim population in general in the United States was less than 7 million, in a country with over 300 million people that's not an overwhelming majority. In fact, most demographics I've seen put the Muslim population at about 0.6 - 0.8% of the nation's population.

Tl;dr: Skullbat needs to do a little research before throwing out blanket statements like "lolcoloredsaremostlymuslim!"
Old 07-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #21
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,264 Posts
Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

You get my point, they believe in the mighty carpenter, his virgin mother and some big ol' chap hovering in the clouds.
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #22
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,657 Times in 1,600 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

LOL, @ all blacks being Muslim. Although in the 50's and 60's the Islamic movement was gaining popularity in America(with people like Malcolm X and Muhammad Ali among them), it later fizzled out. I think that certain Black Islamic figures have made it seem like Islam is more widespread then it is. No doubt Louis Farrakhan (a widely known muslim leader) leading the million man march back in 1995 may have given that impression, even though only a few thousands Muslims were actually involved in it.

That said a large group of Africans are in fact predominantly Muslim. Especially northern African countries where you can find countries with over 90% Muslim populations.

http://www.islamicpopulation.com/afr...a_general.html

ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ask me anything For This Useful Post:
Skullbat01 (07-21-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #23
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Also a fun fact - Northern African countries are predominately Caucasian which, while this group possesses a varied skin tone, is not what we refer to as "black", like we consider the term "African American" to be. I mean, if these people moved to America:

Would you call them African Americans?

EDIT: Also, looking at a historical perspective, the three monotheistic religions, Christianity, Islam and Judaism, are all rooted from Egypt and the rest of the Middle East and, thus, based in Caucasian history. The prevalence of these in religions in the other races, such as those Southern Africa and East Asia and among the American aboriginals, is purely a product of colonialism, as most of these groups had other belief systems (now, pretty much lumped together as some form of Paganism) that were swept aside by European and Persian conquerors.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down

Last edited by ACt; 07-21-2011 at 05:40 PM.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (07-21-2011), Skullbat01 (07-21-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #24
Skullbat01
ANBU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask me anything View Post
LOL, @ all blacks being Muslim. Although in the 50's and 60's the Islamic movement was gaining popularity in America(with people like Malcolm X and Muhammad Ali among them), it later fizzled out. I think that certain Black Islamic figures have made it seem like Islam is more widespread then it is. No doubt Louis Farrakhan (a widely known muslim leader) leading the million man march back in 1995 may have given that impression, even though only a few thousands Muslims were actually involved in it.

That said a large group of Africans are in fact predominantly Muslim. Especially northern African countries where you can find countries with over 90% Muslim populations.

http://www.islamicpopulation.com/afr...a_general.html

woah owoah I was implying a global majority I never said ALL there is a big difference between a generalization and blatantly stating ALL

2nd I was reffereing to the republican candidate and wasn't criticizing any of the posters on the thread I think my previous statement was blown way out proportion here

3rd

@ Act I do actually count North Africans when I made that statement as black may conjure up a skin color image I apologize for confusing everyone with that but in its day to day use it does refer to people of African descent and not only classmates but I have even had a few professors from countries like Libya/ marocco/ eygpt who vehemently identify with being African despite the diff in skin color (an in an ugly case I saw one rag on the black kids for disrespecting their ancestry)

4th I am Mexican/American and can tell you right now not every Latino is Catholic many many are catholic in name only ( just like many American are baptized but do not actively practice)
while there are both Jewish and Islamic minorities in Latin countries dating back to colonialism, as well as asian based immigration like the Chinese to countries like Peru (over a million last I checked) have spread Buddhism

not to mention the enormous amount of religious traditions carried over from indigenous peoples

Last edited by Skullbat01; 07-21-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #25
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Quote:
woah owoah I was implying a global majority I never said ALL there is a big difference between a generalization and blatantly stating ALL
Now you're backpedaling. When you said "african americans and those of african descent" coupled with your clarifying in quotes, are predominantly muslim, you were implying that the majority of the African American population was Muslim, when it's only about 1% of the African American population of the United States. If you had said "muslims are predominantly africans/those of african descent" it would've been more accurate. I even pointed out in my post that those of Hispanic descent (Mexican American, Cuban America) are predominantly Catholic because of the patriarchal beliefs.

Quote:
2nd I was reffereing to the republican candidate and wasn't criticizing any of the posters on the thread I think my previous statement was blown way out proportion here
So by saying a Black Republican wanting to stop the construction of Mosques is shitting on his own demographic, we shouldn't take that as you wrote? Because that's exactly what you wrote.

Quote:
3rd

@ Act I do actually count North Africans when I made that statement as black may conjure up a skin color image I apologize for confusing everyone with that but in its day to day use it does refer to people of African descent and not only classmates but I have even had a few professors from countries like Libya/ marocco/ eygpt who vehemently identify with being African despite the diff in skin color (an in an ugly case I saw one rag on the black kids for disrespecting their ancestry)
Um... why would you count them since they won't be responsible to vote for the position of the Presidency?

Quote:
4th I am Mexican/American and can tell you right now not every Latino is Catholic many many are catholic in name only ( just like many American are baptized but do not actively practice)
while there are both Jewish and Islamic minorities in Latin countries dating back to colonialism, as well as asian based immigration like the Chinese to countries like Peru (over a million last I checked) have spread Buddhism
I believe I mentioned that. Those of Hispanic ancestry are predominantly Catholic due to Catholicism spreading from their ancestral homeland (Spain, mainly). Approximately 64% of Cuban Americans identify themselves as Catholic, and Mexican Americans is a bit higher.

Quote:
not to mention the enormous amount of religious traditions carried over from indigenous peoples
You mean the beliefs that have been oppressed/persecuted by Catholic colonists? Neopaganistic beliefs constitute less of the country's population that Islam.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #26
Skullbat01
ANBU

okay your clearly gonna turn this into something ugly
so I'll keep it brief

your first response to my post sounded like I had directed my statement at you not the candidate that was what my second post was trying to clarify my 2nd statement is not back peddling its trying to diffuse a misunderstanding

that you disagreed with my statement and even elaborated with factual data good for you I read threw it, not alot I disagreed with ( again communication)

but BUT SLOW YOUR ROLL this isn't a debate it is a discussion and in regards to the OP I was in agreement but like I just said my 1st post was misunderstood
take this as you see fit I've said my peace

now anyone else want to throw in their 2 cents in regards to the OP
Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #27
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Wow, you knew what I was thinking even when I wasn't thinking it? Fun fact: I knew your first post was towards the candidate and not me, I'm not an idiot. I was merely pointing out the error in your blanket statement that Cain's personal demographic (African Americans) were predominantly Muslim, when only 1% claim to be Muslim. Some predominance there.