Riot in London. We blame GTA - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 08-09-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold
Riot in London. We blame GTA

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...oking-ruins.do

Quote:
Lines of police tape sealed Tottenham High Road today and smoke rose from the worst damaged buildings as residents gathered to see what was left of their high street.

The destroyed Carpetright building, the historic landmark gutted by fire, was surrounded by fire engines amid concern it was at risk of collapse, the remaining support pillars visibly buckling.

The local Two Brewers pub was so thoroughly looted that even its bar pumps had been taken. Bookmakers William Hill and Ladbrokes were boarded up. Even the jobcentre had been attacked - a blow for the 105,000 in the borough on jobseeker allowance.

"Look what these people have done," said Igbu Kehinde, 36, as he surveyed the scene from behind the police lines. "What about those of us who work here? I've already lost a day's wage because I couldn't get to work yesterday because the road was sealed off. I've lost money and there's little enough to go round as there is."

Tottenham is one of London's most deprived areas. Teenage pregnancies are among the highest in Britain, with 53 girls aged 15 to 17 in every 1,000 becoming pregnant annually. It also among the most ethnically diverse - 50 per cent white, a quarter Afro-Caribbean and the rest primarily Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Asian.

For an older generation the riot brought back memories of the Eighties. In 1985 the area erupted after the death of Cynthia Jarrett while police were searching her home. Policeman Keith Blakelock died in rioting on the Broadwater Farm estate.

It was memories of those riots as much as the weekend's violence which fuelled the fear in the area on Sunday night.

As dusk fell people were told to get off the streets for their own safety. "Go home, get a takeaway and watch anything that happens on TV," one constable advised. "These are bad people who did this. Kids out of control. When I was young it was all Pacman and board games. Now they're playing Grand Theft Auto and want to live it for themselves."

By the time it was dark, the roads were empty except for small groups of young men in the shadows of the adjoining roads. On one of the few buses still running, a man in a wheelchair was terrified.

"If they come for us," he shouted at the driver, "just stop and get us off. We don't want to be here if there are bricks coming through the window." Some told how the problems in the Eighties resulted in a flood of government investment to try to improve the area.

"What you have to understand is that no one listens to us unless we make them," said one local. "After the Broadwater Farm riot, they built us a new swimming pool. That's the way it is here."

Many of those at the police line had been needing to use the High Street and now were unsure where to go instead.

"The jobcentre's gone," said one man. "Where do I now go to sign on? Whatever the rights or wrongs over [Mark Duggan's] death this isn't right. This isn't right at all."

Quote:
"These are bad people who did this. Kids out of control. When I was young it was all Pacman and board games. Now they're playing Grand Theft Auto and want to live it for themselves."
And I blame the constant pot breaking, chicken catching on Zelda, walking inside one's home and steal their live savings from RPGs.

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kluang For This Useful Post:
UchihaTaijiya (08-10-2011)

Old 08-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Re: Riot in London. We blame GTA

They probably are just Spurs fans who finally realized they won't be in the Champions League this season.

But the quote has a point, kids playing GTA leads to violence just like their parents playing Pacman made them obese.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
kluang (08-09-2011), Sensei-Q (08-09-2011), stubborn_d0nkey (08-09-2011), UchihaTaijiya (08-10-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
manta
No Leaf Clover

Thanked 1,356 Times in 702 Posts
manta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enough

People always wanting to blame something else other than themselves, pathetic.

manta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to manta For This Useful Post:
kluang (08-09-2011), Sensei-Q (08-09-2011), stubborn_d0nkey (08-09-2011), UchihaTaijiya (08-10-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,657 Times in 1,600 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

Wow! Are they seriously blaming video games for violence. What about the record unemployment, social angst, incompetent government, and most of all the pussy ass police force that lets them get away with this. I mean seriously, if you have enough time to get a tool kit, and dissemble the beer pump out of a bar, it's safe to say the police aren't exactly arriving at the scene quickly.

Not to long ago we had some massive gang problems close to where I live. I'm talking about people getting carjacked as they pulled up to stop signs, drive by shootings, drugs being sold in broad daylight, etc... Fortunately we have such a kick ass governor that he was all like "Oh hell Naw', and mobilized the national guard. When the Humvee's started patrolling the streets, equipped with top mounted .50 caliber machine guns, and soldiers ready to use them, you'd be surprised at how quickly the problems went away. All pussy ass Euro police forces should take note.

ask me anything is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ask me anything For This Useful Post:
kluang (08-09-2011), Sensei-Q (08-09-2011), Skullbat01 (08-09-2011), UchihaTaijiya (08-10-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
EphemeralStar
Genin

EphemeralStar is an unknown quantity at this point

GTA isn't even that popular anymore is it? O_o
I do hope my friend is safe though, she's currently in London xD
EphemeralStar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EphemeralStar For This Useful Post:
kluang (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
stubborn_d0nkey
Kage

Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,129 Posts
stubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask me anything View Post
Wow! Are they seriously blaming video games for violence. What about the record unemployment, social angst, incompetent government, and most of all the pussy ass police force that lets them get away with this. I mean seriously, if you have enough time to get a tool kit, and dissemble the beer pump out of a bar, it's safe to say the police aren't exactly arriving at the scene quickly.

Not to long ago we had some massive gang problems close to where I live. I'm talking about people getting carjacked as they pulled up to stop signs, drive by shootings, drugs being sold in broad daylight, etc... Fortunately we have such a kick ass governor that he was all like "Oh hell Naw', and mobilized the national guard. When the Humvee's started patrolling the streets, equipped with top mounted .50 caliber machine guns, and soldiers ready to use them, you'd be surprised at how quickly the problems went away. All pussy ass Euro police forces should take note.
So condescending considering you don't even know your country that well.

The national guard is military, not police.

P.S. Or maybe the last part was an apples and pears comparison. I guess I could give you the benefit of the doubt (though I'm not entirely sure which is better)

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quotes for noobs (learn how to break up a quote)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future
So you can post the second bit and i shouldnt be allowed to if i dont tell you? Why be so rude?

Anyways, here is a quotes for noobs guide

1. A basic quote

[*QUOTE][*/QUOTE]

(the * need to be removed for it to work, I put them in so you can see the text) is a basic quote that just wraps something in a quote without saying who quoted it who quoted so

[*QUOTE]this is a quote[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
this is a quote

Edit: there is a button for this, it looks like a speech bubble. If you select text and then press the button the selected text will automatically be wrapped with the quote tag

2. A quote that says who said it

[*QUOTE=who said it][*/QUOTE] this adds who said the post, manually putting that there can be useful when quoting something external. Example:

[*QUOTE=Mangastream]Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangastream
Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us
3. A quote that says who said it and links to the post where it was said

[*QUOTE=who said it;X][*/QUOTE]

Where X is the post number.

For the post that i originally quoted it would look like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]

That is what you get when you press the quote button.

4. Breaking up a quote

Now that you know how quotes work it all boils down to preference, how you want it to look like and how you want to do it.

One way of doing it is copying the latter part of the original quote [*/QUOTE] and then pasting it after each section you break up, write your reply, choose the text you want then paste it after that portion, repeat till you finish the go back and copy then paste the first part of the text at the beginning of each portion of text. Of course you can immediately copy and paste both parts of a poste so that you dont forget one in the end.

The end result would be something like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which without any * would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4

Another way of doing it would be to cut and paste the second part of the quote tag after the first section of text you want to seperate then write your reply select the second part and hit he quote button (it looks like a text bubble),if you do that without anything else the end result would be

My reply 1
[*QUOTE] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
my reply 2
Quote:
my reply 3
Quote:
my reply 4

To make it like the previous example (which wpuld be preferred, though not necessary ) copy the part that says who posted with the link to the post and paste it accordingly to the proper part in each first half of each quote tag. In my I would copy =minato uchiha;2118164 and paste it where the # is
[*QUOTE#] to get [*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] (of course with the * removed)

Of course you can use any other method you like to get to the end result, but now that you know what the end rwsult looks like I think there shouldnt be any problems

Last edited by stubborn_d0nkey; 08-09-2011 at 03:47 PM.
stubborn_d0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stubborn_d0nkey For This Useful Post:
Sensei-Q (08-09-2011), Skullbat01 (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
Skullbat01
ANBU

Skullbat01 is an unknown quantity at this point

give him the benfit of the doubt its makes it alot easier to get by lol

anyways my pc froze before I could say that yeah getting tough on crime works but
European police and more specifically british police forces make our cops look like the real bitch asses you'd be amazed how much they get done with good old mister night stick

also they just announced their attempts to call parliament back so they may and I SAY MAY just put troops on the streets to break up rioters
Skullbat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skullbat01 For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubborn_d0nkey View Post
So condescending considering you don't even know your country that well.

The national guard is military, not police.

P.S. Or maybe the last part was an apples and pears comparison. I guess I could give you the benefit of the doubt (though I'm not entirely sure which is better)
No shit Sherlock. I'm well aware that the National Guard is a military force. If you read my post you'll see that I referred to them as Soldiers.

The point was, using simple police forces against massive mobs of angry protesters isn't going to do anything, and that bringing in the Military would get better results. That's what we did here, and the problems (gangs; especially MS13), went away (or just went elsewhere) in mere days.

Back in the 90's, Britain brought in the Army in response the the IRA terrorist attacks, and had actually tanks cruising the streets. Using the same tactic might work out well here. Of course you would have to adjust the tactics for fighting civilians, like having the grenade launchers shoot tear gas canisters and bean bag rounds, guns loaded with rubber bullets, etc.... In any event having some heavy arsenals there would really assist the officers on the ground. Does that clear it up?

The Following User Says Thank You to ask me anything For This Useful Post:
Sensei-Q (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #9
Sensei-Q
✪✪✪✪✪

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,726 Posts
Sensei-Q has a spectacular aura aboutSensei-Q has a spectacular aura aboutSensei-Q has a spectacular aura aboutSensei-Q has a spectacular aura about

So what's the real reason behind all this? The crisis, or just for lulz?

These kids need a massive dose of C.D.F.D., before shit gets out of hand real quick. And I mean them being knuckled down by troops.
kluang (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
stubborn_d0nkey
Kage

stubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
No shit Sherlock. I'm well aware that the National Guard is a military force. If you read my post you'll see that I referred to them as Soldiers.

The point was, using simple police forces against massive mobs of angry protesters isn't going to do anything, and that bringing in the Military would get better results. That's what we did here, and the problems (gangs; especially MS13), went away (or just went elsewhere) in mere days.

Back in the 90's, Britain brought in the Army in response the the IRA terrorist attacks, and had actually tanks cruising the streets. Using the same tactic might work out well here. Of course you would have to adjust the tactics for fighting civilians, like having the grenade launchers shoot tear gas canisters and bean bag rounds, guns loaded with rubber bullets, etc.... In any event having some heavy arsenals there would really assist the officers on the ground. Does that clear it up?
I guess you knew that, however; clear up what? Your shit I bolded in my last post? Well you said nothing to support that at all. Are the euro police pussies because they don't have big guns (is that how you define pussies)? Are they the ones who decide to bring in the military? Is london europe? After posting unfounded/stupid shit it'd be better to not post anything instead of this irrelevant shit than to post it, if you are not man enough (I guess you dont own any tanks) to admit the shit was stupid.

P.S. First death.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future
So you can post the second bit and i shouldnt be allowed to if i dont tell you? Why be so rude?

1. A basic quote

[*QUOTE][*/QUOTE]

(the * need to be removed for it to work, I put them in so you can see the text) is a basic quote that just wraps something in a quote without saying who quoted it who quoted so

Quote:
this is a quote

Edit: there is a button for this, it looks like a speech bubble. If you select text and then press the button the selected text will automatically be wrapped with the quote tag

[*QUOTE=who said it][*/QUOTE] this adds who said the post, manually putting that there can be useful when quoting something external. Example:

[*QUOTE=Mangastream]Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]

4. Breaking up a quote

Now that you know how quotes work it all boils down to preference, how you want it to look like and how you want to do it.

One way of doing it is copying the latter part of the original quote [*/QUOTE] and then pasting it after each section you break up, write your reply, choose the text you want then paste it after that portion, repeat till you finish the go back and copy then paste the first part of the text at the beginning of each portion of text. Of course you can immediately copy and paste both parts of a poste so that you dont forget one in the end.

My reply 1
my reply 2
my reply 3
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
my reply 2
Quote:
my reply 3
Quote:
my reply 4

Another way of doing it would be to cut and paste the second part of the quote tag after the first section of text you want to seperate then write your reply select the second part and hit he quote button (it looks like a text bubble),if you do that without anything else the end result would be

My reply 1
my reply 2
my reply 3
my reply 4

Which would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
my reply 2
Quote:
my reply 3
Quote:
my reply 4

To make it like the previous example (which wpuld be preferred, though not necessary ) copy the part that says who posted with the link to the post and paste it accordingly to the proper part in each first half of each quote tag. In my I would copy =minato uchiha;2118164 and paste it where the # is

Of course you can use any other method you like to get to the end result, but now that you know what the end rwsult looks like I think there shouldnt be any problems
Old 08-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #11
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Oh look! Conservatives blaming a video game for the ineptitude of their society! I am shocked at such a thought process. It's not like they blamed Doom for the Columbine school shoo-owait.

There have been a few (very few) provable cases of video game inspired violence. I don't remember the countries, but off the top of my head there was the kid that killed a cab driver because he did it in GTA and wanted to see what it really felt like, and then there was a kid that killed his mom because she shut off his internet so he couldn't play online shooters.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
kluang (08-09-2011), Sensei-Q (08-16-2011), Skullbat01 (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Quote:
I guess you knew that, however; clear up what? Your shit I bolded in my last post? Well you said nothing to support that at all. Are the euro police pussies because they don't have big guns (is that how you define pussies)? Are they the ones who decide to bring in the military? Is london europe? After posting unfounded/stupid shit it'd be better to not post anything instead of this irrelevant shit than to post it, if you are not man enough (I guess you dont own any tanks) to admit the shit was stupid.

P.S. First death.
Don't be an idiot. There were estimated to be around 400 people involved in the rioting and looting in London. If the police force can't stop a measly 400 people then yeah, they're a bunch of pussies, and clearly aren't up to the task at hand. I never said anything about them being the ones that have authority to call the military in, so where the fuck did you get that from? The government should have enough sense to say "Damn they got that asses kicked hardcore!!! We better do something about this", and consider military action as a option.

I remember the Rodney King riot, and all the thousands of people involved. Now that was a legitimate reason for the LA police to have trouble keeping the peace, but a mere 400 people, don't make me laugh.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #13
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

To this issue, let's be honest: not everyone is blaming video games. Some blame violence on tv, some blame porn, some blame taxation, some blame immigrants, some blame poverty, some blame Hello Kitty!, some blame foods high in hydrogenated oils, some blame politicians, some blame lawyers, some blame teachers, some blame parents, some blame vegemite, some blame society as a whole... but no one blames the true culprit.

THE BLOODY RIOTERS! Whatever the cause, they make the choice to riot, loot and destroy. I say we shoot them.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
kael03 (08-09-2011), kluang (08-09-2011), Mal (08-10-2011), Miburo (08-12-2011), Sensei-Q (08-16-2011), UchihaTaijiya (08-10-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
stubborn_d0nkey
Kage

Quote:
Don't be an idiot. There were estimated to be around 400 people involved in the rioting and looting in London. If the police force can't stop a measly 400 people then yeah, they're a bunch of pussies, and clearly aren't up to the task at hand. I never said anything about them being the ones that have authority to call the military in, so where the fuck did you get that from? The government should have enough sense to say "Damn they got that asses kicked hardcore!!! We better do something about this", and consider military action as a option.

I remember the Rodney King riot, and all the thousands of people involved. Now that was a legitimate reason for the LA police to have trouble keeping the peace, but a mere 400 people, don't make me laugh.
Quote:
All pussy ass Euro police forces should take note
Should take note of what? Having big guns? Calling in the military? What?

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quote:

1. A basic quote

[*QUOTE][*/QUOTE]

Quote:
this is a quote

Quote:

4. Breaking up a quote

My reply 1
my reply 2
my reply 3
my reply 4

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
my reply 2
Quote:
my reply 3
Quote:
my reply 4

My reply 1
my reply 2
my reply 3
my reply 4

Which would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
my reply 2
Quote:
my reply 3
Quote:
my reply 4

Old 08-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #15
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Quote:
Should take note of what? Having big guns? Calling in the military? What?
Of how to successfully suppress social unrest :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ask me anything For This Useful Post:
Sensei-Q (08-16-2011), stubborn_d0nkey (08-10-2011)