Games and all things related - Page 155 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > The Trashbin > Spam Zone

Spam Zone Come here to post anything that doesnt fit into the rest of the forum topics.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #2311
Trey
Legendary

Trey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to behold
Re: Games and all things related

Next gen consoles are today's PCs.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #2312
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Next gen consoles are yesterday's PCs. My "PC of today" can run Skyrim on Ultra High at 50-60fps and 1080p.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Nerox (01-12-2012), Numinous (01-12-2012), Shrike (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #2313
Trey
Legendary

Trey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Next gen consoles are yesterday's PCs. My "PC of today" can run Skyrim on Ultra High at 50-60fps and 1080p.
Sounds expensive. I have no idea of Skyrim's requirements, or your monitor resolution, but when you say all that my brain thinks "+1000 dollar rig".

When I said PC of today, I was thinking of something more affordable to the masses. I know budget rigs are more expensive than consoles will ever be, but it's where the "average gamer" is, and whom devs target. So those PCs will be what next gen consoles will be comparable to, but top flight 2500+ behemoths that can play Crysis on high with 60 fps on two 1080p monitors while Firefox and iTunes run in the background with music playing, without breaking a sweat, do exist today. But those are more like PCs of the future's future.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #2314
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

One wonders if the console manufacturers are going to allow for system rebuilds so users can upgrade as the games get larger and more complex, because by starting low and then within two years putting out games that require you to buy a new drive for your console is just the kind of forward thinking business sense that billionaires are looking for.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #2315
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Sounds expensive. I have no idea of Skyrim's requirements, or your monitor resolution, but when you say all that my brain thinks "+1000 dollar rig".

When I said PC of today, I was thinking of something more affordable to the masses. I know budget rigs are more expensive than consoles will ever be, but it's where the "average gamer" is, and whom devs target. So those PCs will be what next gen consoles will be comparable to, but top flight 2500+ behemoths that can play Crysis on high with 60 fps on two 1080p monitors while Firefox and iTunes run in the background with music playing, without breaking a sweat, do exist today. But those are more like PCs of the future's future.
Not really. I have an average PC and it can run a new game (like Skyrim) on maximum definition with no problems, it only starts to hiccup if I use any other demanding program. It's just a matter of keeping your PC memory clean and spend a few bucks on hardware for better performance (even a new cooling system does wonders and it's cheap).

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
Axiom (01-12-2012), kael03 (01-12-2012), Mal (01-12-2012), Nerox (01-12-2012), Shrike (01-12-2012), Spiegel (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #2316
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Thanked 12,475 Times in 3,664 Posts
Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold

You're underestimating today's PCs, Trey.

My PC is a Dell from 2008. All I've done to it is put in a GT9400, a graphics card from 2008 that I got for free (thanks Artan), and upgraded the RAM from 2GB to 4GB. I can run stuff like Fallout: New Vegas above 720p, at high settings, with a better framerate than consoles. Might not be the best example, since Gamebryo games look like shit, but my point remains.

Anyone that built a half-decent PC today would outclass the proposed "base specs" of next-gen consoles easily. I'm a big believer in 60fps as standard during videogames. Devs are not, since there's a huge misguided movement towards making games look like movies, and since movies run at sub 30fps, that's apparently good enough. No. That's okay for films since the frame rate acts somewhat as a barrier between the viewer and the film, and it makes a noticeable difference to the way we interpret cinema. With videogames, you either want responsiveness or immersion.

Call of Duty is the biggest selling videogame of the modern era, and it runs at 60fps even on consoles. Take that as you will.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaxon For This Useful Post:
Axiom (01-12-2012), Mal (01-12-2012), Nerox (01-12-2012), Numinous (01-12-2012), Shrike (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #2317
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,774 Times in 930 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 video card with 1 GB GDDR5 of onboard memory, 8GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, an AMD Phenom II Quadcore 3.2GHz CPU. I'm basically going to buy Skyrim today but I also have a PS3. Would you guys recommend PC or PS3 for the better experience?
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #2318
Axiom
[something clever]

Axiom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say PC for sure. Higher graphic quality to start, but the big sell is the modding capabilities. The inventory management mod is fucking light years better then that obtrusive stock version.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post

You can easily build rig that'll surpass a console if you shop smart. I can hit pricewatch.com right now and mock up relatively competitive computer for under the launch price of a PS3.

Last edited by Axiom; 01-12-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Axiom For This Useful Post:
Mal (01-12-2012), Numinous (01-12-2012), Shrike (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #2319
Shrike
█▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

Thanked 9,850 Times in 2,943 Posts
Shrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant future

Whatever happens, I will always stick with the PC. The only thing I like about the consoles is the controller (PS to be exact), but I use it for PC anyway. There is nothing a good PC can't do.

I am not sure though that I hate going from 60fps to 30fps. I am not that much of a gamer as you guys are, and my PC sucks ass (I hope to buy a new one soon), but I am hanging on my roommates PC often, and I can see the difference, but that's far from being the main thing in the game for me. There are exceptions, not gonna bullshit though. For example, new DMC will be 30 whereas the DMC4 was 60, because the environment will change a lot, and I am sure that it won't be a bad game at all, I just wonder if you can make the game that requires as much skill from the player as you can make the one which runs on 60fps. You know, with the timing and all.

Last edited by Shrike; 01-12-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #2320
Demi-God
BEST

Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,312 Posts
Demi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to all

That graphics card I gave to James I used to run games like Darksiders and Borderlands on, and even after I got a new one I didn't have to go to the top end to get good results, I bought a graphics card for about £60 and can run most of my games on pretty high settings.

The PC I have now I bought for about £600 back in 2009 and it still runs amazingly well.

When you keep in mind the price of the games you can get on PC these days, the sheer amount of stuff you can do on it that you can't on consoles, the usual minimal cost of repair or upgrade compared to the price of a console, attachments (granted you also have to get some for the PC, a monitor comes to mind), price of new games, the actual hardware you get for the price, the repair costs sometimes costing as much as a new bloody console (gone through this before myself), there's just no doubt that even cost wise a PC is a lot better.

The next gen consoles will most likely do what my 2009 PC does but with a few gimmicks to help polish the turd.

Though I still want a PS Vita.
Demi-God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #2321
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,264 Posts
Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

Got a better PC than Artan and paid 600€, bought just recently:

Raedon HD6870

Phenom II X4 3,4GB (some black edition thing)

4GB Ram and a decent Motherboard

So it is quite affordable and you can always power-up your CPU or GPU or RAM if needed.
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nerox For This Useful Post:
manta (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #2322
manta
No Leaf Clover

Thanked 1,356 Times in 702 Posts
manta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enough

This is the best time to buy/build a gaming PC IMO, ram is cheap, there isn't that much of a leap in graphics and most games are very well optimized.

I still rock out the old games more though. Fable is awesome thanks Mal.

Last edited by manta; 01-12-2012 at 07:00 PM.
manta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manta For This Useful Post:
Mal (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #2323
Axiom
[something clever]

Axiom is an unknown quantity at this point

RAM, has for the longest time had the best price to improved performance ratio. But nowadays it doesn't really matter. There shouldn't be any appreciable difference from say 8gigs to 16gigs.

The biggest thing pigeon holding computers is the Hard drive. Even before SSD was really around much, in the mid-late 90's. I always thought of magnetic HDD's as primitive and ridiculous. Especially when adjacent to processors with billions of stifle transistors, it makes no sense. Why we would be using this ridiculous spinning disks with a magnetic flying head hovering above it with gforce sensors to haphazardly reposition the pin. I don't know... When you start looking at all the devices that are required to make it function. There are so many things that had to be engineered around make it work. It's backwards engineering, is what it is.

I'd put off my dream of owning a jetpack for a couple of years if I could get cheap 2TB SSD in all my devices.
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Axiom For This Useful Post:
Mal (01-12-2012), manta (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #2324
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Thanked 12,475 Times in 3,664 Posts
Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold

PC makes good games better. That's the main reason I prefer them. I mean, I play a lot of games on console. Let's take Fallout: New Vegas again, since it's one of my favourite games of the last 10 years. I played the shit out of it on console. Must be 200-odd hours or something. I bought all of the DLC, on top of the game itself which was full price, the day before it actually came out. Didn't regret it.

I bought the same game, again, with all the DLC, on PC a few weeks ago. It cost £13-ish for exactly the same stuff.

Except now I have massively reduced loading times, better framerate and graphics, and the crowning jewel, mods. Mods can make a bad game playable (Oblivion), and a good game even better. The first thing I did before I booted up New Vegas on PC was download a mod that adds eyepatches. I mean, holy shit. Game automatically even better. After playing vanilla for a few hours, I modded it with Project Nevada. Now I'm replaying a game I've already played the shit out of, and it's a much different experience. It's awesome.

tl;dr mods are awesome, and PC is superior.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaxon For This Useful Post:
Axiom (01-12-2012), Mal (01-12-2012), manta (01-12-2012), Spiegel (01-13-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #2325
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,264 Posts
Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

What's also holding CPUs in general back, is the cooling. Most of the newst chips work on full capacity only in -200°C or something.

Also, agreed, PC > consoles.
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nerox For This Useful Post:
manta (01-12-2012)