Games and all things related - Page 156 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > The Trashbin > Spam Zone

Spam Zone Come here to post anything that doesnt fit into the rest of the forum topics.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #2326
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Games and all things related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiegel View Post
I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 video card with 1 GB GDDR5 of onboard memory, 8GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, an AMD Phenom II Quadcore 3.2GHz CPU. I'm basically going to buy Skyrim today but I also have a PS3. Would you guys recommend PC or PS3 for the better experience?
Skipping all posts after this rely immediately:

HOW THE FUCK IS THIS EVEN A QUESTION!? PC MOTHERFUCKER!

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi-God View Post
When you keep in mind the price of the games you can get on PC these days, the sheer amount of stuff you can do on it that you can't on consoles, the usual minimal cost of repair or upgrade compared to the price of a console, attachments (granted you also have to get some for the PC, a monitor comes to mind), price of new games, the actual hardware you get for the price, the repair costs sometimes costing as much as a new bloody console (gone through this before myself), there's just no doubt that even cost wise a PC is a lot better.
Yeah, you need a monitor for your PC, but it's still significantly cheaper than a TV. The only reason I have cable right now is because I get it free for a while, other than that my consoles are the only reason I have a TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
PC makes good games better. That's the main reason I prefer them. I mean, I play a lot of games on console. Let's take Fallout: New Vegas again, since it's one of my favourite games of the last 10 years. I played the shit out of it on console. Must be 200-odd hours or something. I bought all of the DLC, on top of the game itself which was full price, the day before it actually came out. Didn't regret it.

I bought the same game, again, with all the DLC, on PC a few weeks ago. It cost £13-ish for exactly the same stuff.

Except now I have massively reduced loading times, better framerate and graphics, and the crowning jewel, mods. Mods can make a bad game playable (Oblivion), and a good game even better. The first thing I did before I booted up New Vegas on PC was download a mod that adds eyepatches. I mean, holy shit. Game automatically even better. After playing vanilla for a few hours, I modded it with Project Nevada. Now I'm replaying a game I've already played the shit out of, and it's a much different experience. It's awesome.

tl;dr mods are awesome, and PC is superior.
This. Once I'm no longer living with and sharing games with my brother, I'll be buying most of my games on PC. The only reason I will have to own a console is for local multiplayer when friends come over to hang out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerox View Post
What's also holding CPUs in general back, is the cooling. Most of the newst chips work on full capacity only in -200°C or something.
That's because electricity in general is more efficient at lower temperatures. Unfortunately, we are still waiting on practical lidquid nitrogen cooling systems.

Last edited by Mal; 01-12-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Axiom (01-12-2012), Nerox (01-12-2012)

Old 01-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #2327
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,264 Posts
Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
That's because electricity in general is more efficient at lower temperatures. Unfortunately, we are still waiting on practical lidquid nitrogen cooling systems.
Yeah I know, and in hindsight my post reads like I was drunk. Meh 4am though, I blame the time.
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #2328
Trey
Legendary

Trey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Skipping all posts after this rely immediately:

HOW THE FUCK IS THIS EVEN A QUESTION!? PC MOTHERFUCKER!
Even if PCs weren't superior hardware, the PS3 version of Skyrim is broken after a certain point. Literally. They patched it twice but some people are still reporting issues. Buy any other version by default.

et al: The multi-quote function doesn't seem to work, so I can't respond to all of you individually. Anyways, I did use a bit of hyperbole there ("budget PCs will cost more than consoles ever will"), and my main point was deviated from down a path I'm not really trying to go nor debate. PCs and consoles have their roles, and it seems they will stay that way going into the next generation.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:34 AM   #2329
Axiom
[something clever]

Axiom is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The only reason I will have to own a console is for local multiplayer when friends come over to hang out.
Lan party. Not as casual, yes. Less feasible, yes. Infinitely more rewarding, YES.

Quote:
Back when TechTV and The Screensavers were still around. The crew put together a pretty fascinating project (as they did often, fuck, I still want an updated Yoshi's Box for myself) where they had the entirety of a pc's components submerged in iirc it was high quality deionized water. With a pumping system that piped the liquid through dry ice, and back.

Obviously it was a highly convoluted system, but it worked perfectly. Computer engineers, get on the ball, and think outside the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
PCs and consoles have their roles, and it seems they will stay that way going into the next generation.
True. Neither will usurp the others role. While I also prefer PC gaming. It is consoles that is trying to close the competitive gap between the platforms. Every generation of console, attempts to become more pc like in function. The updated 360 interface looks like the alpha version of the shitty windows 8 metro UI. Wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft's next console ships with the full feature windows 8 OS.

Last edited by Axiom; 01-13-2012 at 01:26 AM. Reason: "I" where
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Axiom For This Useful Post:
Mal (01-13-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 02:20 AM   #2330
OG
[잊지 말아요]

Thanked 4,149 Times in 1,809 Posts
OG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these parts

i need more space[in room], i game on a laptop. lol XD it's about 2-3 years old but i can run new games.

i have a pc but i never use it and its old now <.< when i can get enough money and be bothered to clear out space for it, id like to build my own pc.

what i want is better internets for online gameplay but so expensive =[

Last edited by OG; 01-13-2012 at 02:25 AM.
OG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #2331
Axiom
[something clever]

Axiom is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't feel bad. I rock a laptop too. At least half of the time. I prefer the flat keys on the keyboard, they just feel better for me. I need to get rid of some laptops though. I have three. There are three people in this house, only two of which are allowed on them, only one of which is nerd enough to use them extensively.

Probably never will though. All my computer crap just stacks up. Shit, I still have my old commodore +4. My parents didn't love me enough to get the C64 version. Holy shit, just thought of something. I should gut one of my laptops and try to stuff the components into the commodore case.
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:03 AM   #2332
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
Holy shit, just thought of something. I should gut one of my laptops and try to stuff the components into the commodore case.
I did something like that once, except it was stuffing the guts of a VCR into the cardboard packaging box of a portable DVD player.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #2333
Demi-God
BEST

Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,312 Posts
Demi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to all

Send me the motherboard so I can pretend it's a tiny city and I'm a giant God.
Demi-God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #2334
manta
No Leaf Clover

Thanked 1,356 Times in 702 Posts
manta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enough

You want The Grid, the digital frontier.

manta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #2335
Servo
Mega User

Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,045 Posts
Servo will become famous soon enoughServo will become famous soon enough

Was looking through my storage unit earlier today and unearthed this little stash I had forgotten about.

I was all like, http://youtu.be/e539jNE70xg

Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Servo For This Useful Post:
ACt (01-14-2012), Axiom (01-14-2012), Demi-God (01-14-2012), Jaxon (01-14-2012), kael03 (01-14-2012), Mal (01-14-2012), Numinous (01-14-2012), Spiegel (01-14-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #2336
Demi-God
BEST

Demi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to all

I will fight you for that box. Tomorrow, 3pm, outside the school,
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Demi-God For This Useful Post:
ACt (01-14-2012), Axiom (01-14-2012), Jaxon (01-14-2012), kael03 (01-14-2012), Mal (01-14-2012), Servo (01-14-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #2337
Servo
Mega User

Lol, that box is like a foot and a quarter deep, I didn't want to look through it much because I knew it would lead to me bringing it home and hooking up the N64 or Super NES. Not sure where all my NES stuff is, the attic perhaps.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Servo For This Useful Post:
Demi-God (01-14-2012), kael03 (01-14-2012), Mal (01-14-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #2338
Demi-God
BEST

Check through that box and see if you have a copy of Snowboard Kids, please.

Look through it one day and see what else you have. I used to have an Atari (Yes the 2600, Kosovo was a little behind) and a NES in Kosovo but those got lost when I moved over here. Then I wish I still had my N64 with games but my brother gave those away. All I have to show for old stuff is this:

Show us your old stuff people.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Demi-God For This Useful Post:
ACt (01-14-2012), kael03 (01-14-2012), Numinous (01-14-2012), Servo (01-14-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #2339
Servo
Mega User

Nah I know I don't have that game. If I did I would send it to you if you wanted.

Sure enough I looked in the attic and there's my two original NES consoles, and some assorted games.

I swore I had more NES games though, hmm. I need to clean this stuff up and take better care of it. I don't foresee myself getting rid of my old game paraphernalia, it's the only stuff I have a real irrational attachment to. Fuck, I have a whole milk crate full of nothing but old school Nintendo Power mags. Man Nintendo used to be the top dog, wtf happened?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Servo For This Useful Post:
ACt (01-14-2012), Numinous (01-14-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #2340
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Thanked 12,475 Times in 3,664 Posts
Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold

I have a GameBoy Pocket next to my bed, with Pocket Bomberman, Pokemon Red, and Metroid II. I'm slowly collecting games for it.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaxon For This Useful Post:
ACt (01-14-2012), Mal (01-15-2012), Servo (01-14-2012)