Is Yu Yu Hakusho overrated? - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Anime & Manga > Anime & Manga

Anime & Manga Talk about some other anime and manga series in this section of the forum!

View Poll Results: Is Yu Yu Hakusho overrated?
Overrated 3 42.86%
Underrated 0 0%
Properly rated 4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Vengeance
Death Scythe

Thanked 9,331 Times in 4,060 Posts
Vengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud of
Is Yu Yu Hakusho overrated?

I notice allot of people including myself(at times) seem to hold Yu Yu Hakusho in high regard. Now I've come to wonder if this is even warranted. Let's begin with an Arc breakdown.

1. Spirit Detective - Basically were it all started. This covers the death & rebirth of Yusuke, the Three Legendary Artifacts which introduces Hiei & Kurama, & Genkai's Tournament.

2. Saint Beasts - This arc reintroduces Hiei & Kurama as a part of the main cast. It covers the Sarayashiki Plague in the human world as well as the siege on Maze Castle.

3. The Dark Tournament - Primarily revolves around Yukina's Kidnapping & The Dark Tournament. The main antagonist in this arc is Toguro & is really the first villain within the series that initially outlcasses our heroes in every way imaginable.

4. Chapter Black - This involves the House of Four Dimensions, Mushiyori City, & Demon's Door Cave. New superhumans are introduced with unique powers rarely seen during the time this came out. The main antagonist in this arc is Sensui who was a spirit detective before Yusuke.

5. Three Kings - This arc leads our heroes back into the demon world where with supposedly no way of returning to earth. It revolves around 3 super powerful demons with one being the ancestor of Yusuke. The arc ends in Dark Tournament fashion with Yusuke actually losing & mistertiouslly returning to earth with a bullshit explaination. This is probably the second worst arc in the series simply because it was cut short do to conflicts of interest between Togashi & the publishers.

6. We'll call this defuse the bomb. This tries to touch "briefly" on the aftermath of the events of three kings. It ends with our rag tag gang traveling to spirit world to well defuse a bomb. This is without a doubt the worst arc in the entire series.

Anyway the point I'm trying to make here is that although Yu Yu Hakusho has it's high points it is rather overrated since people love to ignore what is actually wrong with the manga.

The Spirit Detective arc was a nice introduction into the series. No real complaints here.

The Saint Beasts arc was also good however I think they should have saved this type of situation for later. Yusuke went from a defender of earth to handling the spirit worlds problems which I feel was a mistake. This was probably done to reintroduce Hiei & Kurama into the series though I think they could have done that without going to the demon realms right away.

The Dark Tournament which is allot of people's favorite arc was good in that it introduced allot of interesting characters while showing interesting & unique ways of fighting. However it seems like a ripoff of Dragon Balls World Tournament which makes the series loss some of it's originality.

The Chapter Black arc was pretty good though I think the concept of gifted humans could have been touched on more earlier in the series. They could have done this arc before Saint Beast & the manga would have been better for it. Sensui's character also contradicts Toguro's wish which was to become the highest class of demon with strength absolute. This creates inconsistencies within the power levels since by that logic Toguro should have been more powerful than Sensui which he wasn't.

Three Kings arc started out with an interesting plotline. Yusuke embraces his demon heritage & goes to the demon world never to return to the human world again. However this created tension between artist & publisher since they did not approve of the idea of Yusuke going demon & leaving his beloved Keiko behind. This lead to a cut of the original script with subpar artwork & a rushed ending. Ultimately this lead to the demise of the series.

The last arc Defuse the Bomb is kind of a joke & a weak attempt to try & please the fans by giving the series some sort of closure. Most people totally ignore this piece of shit when they talk about this series.

Anyway agree? disagree? All comments welcome.

Monster brawl brought to you by Claymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liondemon View Post
Yeah vengeance, if i could giuve rep to your o so epic post too i would, but unfortunately I have already repped your greatness already so i cannot either. Just wanted u to know im on your cock now too
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOTKorby View Post
FOOLS! Time is no obstacle for utter lunacy! Reality is but an illusion that can be ignored if the insane demand it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by batonnoir View Post
1) There may well be some literary or map correlation between the Uzumaki and Ireland.
Check out this awesome manga called Magi.

Wanna join me come and play, but I mite shoot you in your face. Bombs and bullets will do the trick. What we need here is a little bit of panic! ~ Get Jinxed

Last edited by Vengeance; 02-23-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,766 Times in 926 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all
Re: Is Yu Yu Hakusho overrated?

Voted overrated, though I as well hold Yu Yu Hakusho in high regards. I pretty much agree with all the points you covered with each arc. What Yu Yu Hakusho does well is providing a story that drives on its own, that isn't to say it was predictable, but it was written in a manner that maintained your attention, even during the Chapter Black and Three Kings arc.

Chapter Black was the introduction to wacky power ups, though Togashi does a decent job with it by pinning Yuremeshi's demonic power to a demon ancestor (which kinda seemed randomly added), and sketchy plot lines; like the introduction of yet another spirit detective.

The Three Kings arc pretty much picks up after Chapter Black in the same regards of random power ups and sketchy and rushed plots. The ending to this arc was also a "why the fuck did everything end like this?"

Even though I have my complaints about this series it still isn't bad per-say (this includes the Chapter Black and Three King arcs). Togashi still managed to create decent stories with great plots and generating a feeling of all the arcs being well put together. That to me is a good selling point and it is probably the reason why some re-watch/read this series multiple times. Yu Yu Hakusho has a lasting appeal unlike some of the newer series which is probably why we tend to overrate it.
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spiegel For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (02-23-2012), Vengeance (02-23-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,648 Times in 1,597 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

I voted properly rated. I agree some parts could have been done better, but that's true in every manga. The ending really sucked, but almost every fan agrees on that. So it's not as if people saw that part and said "ZOMG that's awesome". So as long as us fans understand that it had some flaws then it's not really overrated.

Now Naruto and Bleach are overrated. There are Narutards right now reading that shit and honestly believe it's one of the best mangas of all time.

Just to respond to a few thing Veng mentioned.

1) The dark tournament was one of my favorite parts. I understand how you could see the Dragonball World Tournament similarities, but that's to be expected. Lot's of mangas have had tournaments in them, and Dragonball was hardly the first. I felt the differences were more then enough to distinguish the 2 mangas apart.

2) I thought the Chapter Black arc took forever to be over with. It just had such a long build up period, that by the end I was ready for it to be over. It was still OK, but I felt the Humans powers were kinda weird and unnecessary. Personally, I'd rather the author left them out of the manga altogether, and substituted a group of "Toguro level" henchmen in their place. I also thought the difference in power levels started to become way too wide at this point. Most of those SDF guys that showed up at the end were high A level fighters, and Yusuke(demon form) was a low S ranked, yet the difference was still big enough that they still practically shit their pants at the sight of him. That's just fucked up. I feel that the power surge of Yusuke's Demon Form was just way too much of a leap. Even if Raizen was controlling him during the fight, he shouldn't have beat Sensui like he did.

3) I felt the 3 Kings arc started great. The after effects of meeting and fighting someone like Sensui, the questions that arose from that of what his own motivations were, and the soul searching trip he went on, were masterfully done. I liked that as much as the main arc that followed. The fact that even after all that training with Raizen, Yusuke still was weak as shit compared to the other 2 Kings, was well done. Would we rather he had gained haxxed out powers and beat everyone down? Hell no. That's the path that Naruto and Bleach have traveled down, and look how shitty those mangas turned out. So Kudos to the author for not taking the easy way out.

Raizens friends showing up out of now where was kinda stupid though. The tournament itself was pretty awesome, even if we only saw a tiny amount of the thousands of fights that supposedly took place. But that's cool though. Sometimes it's the things that aren't shown that make a story good. It leaves room to imagine for yourself. Yusuke actually losing was a pretty ballsy move though. How many mangas do you know where the main character doesn't win in the end. Can you imagine Kubo or Kishi doing the same. LOLOLOL, they don't have the scrotum to pull something like that.

All in all Yu Yu Hakusho is a great manga. Some parts were "Meh", and other parts were "FUCK YEAH", but only the ending was "What the fuck am I reading". For it's time it was one of the pillars of greatness, and even today it's still better then 90% on the shit published.

Last edited by ask me anything; 02-23-2012 at 09:34 PM.
ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ask me anything For This Useful Post:
NeoKakarott023 (02-24-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

yuyu hakusho for me is like bleach

it fought against dbz for dominance and got swat.

it fought against slam dunk for no 2 spot and got swat too.

the same thing happens between naruto, one piece and bleach.

and like bleach it never appeal to me. Until today I have no idea how yu yu beat dragon quest and jojo for the no 3 spot in WSJ in the early 90's days. slam dunk hold no 2 spot during the early till mid 90's

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
Spiegel
Pirate King

Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

Are you talking about Yu Yu Hakusho being similar to Bleach popularity wise or story wise? Because Yu Yu Hakusho isn't anything like Bleach, no way in hell.
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
The Following User Says Thank You to Spiegel For This Useful Post:
NeoKakarott023 (02-23-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
kluang
One Punch Man

kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiegel View Post
Are you talking about Yu Yu Hakusho being similar to Bleach popularity wise or story wise? Because Yu Yu Hakusho isn't anything like Bleach, no way in hell.
popularity wise

and

personal taste because both doesn't apply to me.

believe me I try reading both and both don't stick well to me.

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #7
NeoKakarott023
Tha One to the 23rd Power

Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,057 Posts
NeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of light

Honestly some things should start of in anime then switch to manga, like I did with OP, and thats acutally what I did for Yu-Yu back in the 90's when it was popular, it had its Reign near the top, yes behind DBZ, but during the height of its era, nothing from Japan came close, nothing. I lived there so I know,..... nothing. Stuff shouldn't be judged vs. DBZ, it'll rarely be fair.

Show Me How Much You Have Evolved...(As Tian walks toward an Army he's been waiting eons for).

I speak 4 languages...

English, Profanity, Sarcasm, and Real Shit.
NeoKakarott023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
Vengeance
Death Scythe

Vengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiegel View Post
Actually Bleach borrowed quite a few ideas from Yu Yu Hakusho. In fact Bleach was originally rejected because it was to similar to Yu Yu. You know with the whole Spirit detective/Shinigami similarities.

Quote:
Yeah vengeance, if i could giuve rep to your o so epic post too i would, but unfortunately I have already repped your greatness already so i cannot either. Just wanted u to know im on your cock now too
Quote:
FOOLS! Time is no obstacle for utter lunacy! Reality is but an illusion that can be ignored if the insane demand it!
Quote:
1) There may well be some literary or map correlation between the Uzumaki and Ireland.

Wanna join me come and play, but I mite shoot you in your face. Bombs and bullets will do the trick. What we need here is a little bit of panic! ~ Get Jinxed
The Following User Says Thank You to Vengeance For This Useful Post:
NeoKakarott023 (02-23-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 PM   #9
NeoKakarott023

NeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
Actually Bleach borrowed quite a few ideas from Yu Yu Hakusho. In fact Bleach was originally rejected because it was to similar to Yu Yu. You know with the whole Spirit detective/Shinigami similarities.
I actually said tha first time I watched, 'what is this fake assed Yu-Yu wannabe shit?' Honestly before the first character said 'Bankai' wasn't that interested honestly.

Show Me How Much You Have Evolved...(As Tian walks toward an Army he's been waiting eons for).

I speak 4 languages...

The Following User Says Thank You to NeoKakarott023 For This Useful Post:
Vengeance (02-24-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
Vengeance
Death Scythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoKakarott023 View Post
I actually said tha first time I watched, 'what is this fake assed Yu-Yu wannabe shit?' Honestly before the first character said 'Bankai' wasn't that interested honestly.
Bleach is what ultimately replaced Yu Yu Hakusho. I wonder what manga is going to replace Bleach? Does jump have a new spirit guide/evil spirit vanquisher manga?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 02-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
NeoKakarott023

They have to, its popular, and titles like Hellsing OVA's are coming up short with spirits, souls, Death Gods, etc.

I speak 4 languages...

Old 02-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #12
kluang
One Punch Man

DBZ, Slam Dunk and Yuyu were WSJ Big 3 at the early 90's. Those three plus kodansha's sailor moon pretty much rule the anime and manga for years.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #13
Vengeance
Death Scythe

So what do you think about Nurarihyon No Mago as the replacement for Bleach as the main spirit manga of WSJ? It's relatively new (2008) with only 190 issues released & is slowly gaining popularity. I haven't really read much on it yet though.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 02-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #14
Spiegel
Pirate King

I've only seen like two or three episodes from the first anime season of Nurarihyon. It didn't really peak my interest but I've been noticing a steady growth in popularity in the charts. I should probably give it another shot but I'll be reading the manga first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance
It has never even occurred to me. I've always viewed them (still do) as two separate entities but I can see the resemblance now. Both series, however, have a different sense of pacing and story telling styles which is probably why I never viewed them to be the same. Yu Yu Hakusho is still way better. Way.
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*

Last edited by Spiegel; 02-24-2012 at 12:45 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spiegel For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (02-24-2012), kluang (02-24-2012), Vengeance (02-24-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 03:52 AM   #15
kluang
One Punch Man

I've read the manga of nurahiyon and let me tell you something

the anime didnt give it justice. at all.

nurahiyon is spirit and monsters+ yakuza.

a new arc just started and the last arc is amazing. the existence of youkai and monster are reveal and human are scared shitless.

And one thing I like about nurahiyon is how they explain and use nakama power. There is no nakama bullshit in this. Guarantee

Last edited by kluang; 02-24-2012 at 04:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kluang For This Useful Post:
Vengeance (02-24-2012)