Game of Thrones and other TV shenanigans - Page 4 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > The Trashbin > Spam Zone

Spam Zone Come here to post anything that doesnt fit into the rest of the forum topics.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #46
Axiom
[something clever]

Axiom is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Game of Thrones and other TV shenanigans

I actually don't remember them using that particular torture method in the novel. It has been a while since I read it however.

Also:
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Axiom For This Useful Post:
ACt (04-27-2012), Ero-Sage (07-10-2012), Kinako (06-06-2012), kluang (05-30-2012), Mal (05-22-2012), Tzu Men (04-27-2012)

Old 04-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #47
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

oh man... if that list is accurate, the US political field is going to suck by book four.

Anyway, Tzu - I think what Shrike is upset about is that season 1 was a very very good adaptation, the tones, moods and characters were pretty well mapped out as they do in the books and if you put aside the fact that the direwolves are utterly ignored passed the death of Lady, it honours the story quite well. Brings to life just enough to tell the story.

In season 2, it seems like they've decided to go a different route, change the focus and even the motivation of major characters. The having to tell us that Renly is so utterly gay he can't even suffer sex with a woman for the sake of his claim on the throne, and so middling about everything (rather than being carefree like his brother without the ruthless streak) is bad. The portrayal of Stannis is worse. He's supposed to be one of the dominant characters in the book and he's fairly well overshadowed by Melisandre and even Davos. Likewise the overplaying of characters such as the Tyrells (still say Knight of Flowers is completely wrong), Varys, Littlefinger and Melisandre. It just doesn't feel right with what makes the books great - layers on layers. I worry what they'll do with the city of Braavos, Aristan Whitebeard and Strong Belwas and the Reed children (don't google those if you don't want to know)

I agree with Shrike that the Arya storyline is the best executed, but not having problems with the Ironborn (though I had Asha would be prettier), nor Catelyn's roll in it all aside from being a little minor (also supposed to be more major especially in Renly's group) and think her and Brienne will be good. The Northmen have been lacking but right now it's just about battering the Lanisters for a while, so no biggy.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Axiom (04-29-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #48
Tzu Men
hostis humani generis

Thanked 2,697 Times in 854 Posts
Tzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, but the longer any adaptation goes on - the more it will diverge. The Fellowship of the Ring film is a lot closer to the source than The Return of the King. Season 1 was always bound to be more faithful than season 2. I don't think the production has changed in its treatment of the books, it's just that there is a lot more to handle now. Season 1 was a more accurate adaptation, but as television season 2 is its equal so far.

It'll be interesting to see how season 3 differs considering it is supposed to be book 3 split in half.

The Ned/Al Gore combination is brilliant.

Last edited by Tzu Men; 04-27-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Tzu Men is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tzu Men For This Useful Post:
Axiom (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #49
Axiom
[something clever]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACt View Post
oh man... if that list is accurate, the US political field is going to suck by book four.
Plus if that graphic means USA=Westeros, then White Walkers must come from Canada. You guys should get on that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Axiom For This Useful Post:
ACt (05-01-2012), Demi-God (04-29-2012), kael03 (05-01-2012), Mal (05-22-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #50
ACt
Heart Wizard

ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

So, caught up. Still enjoy the show. Couple of points:
The Joffrey Whore scene. OK, we get it - Joffery is a sadistic fuck. Thing is, they went to far with this one. The cruelty he shows to people in court, especially Sansa, and his love of blood sport SHOULD be enough. I guess they need to make the point absolutely clear to the public... as if his production through incest isn't enough to make him the villain. I had felt they were going to go a slightly different route to explain his character - he greatly hated stories of his "father" Robert being unfaithful to his mother and I felt his character shunned the idea of being unfaithful himself. Nearly thought they were going to go that route of him chasing the whores from his room with his belt, which would have made him more of a character. But instead, "HARDER!!" with a twisted face. Boring.

Where the fuck is Pod? You'd think the TV show would realize they need him.

I'm going to revise my statement - I don't think Stanis is the worse cast. Loras. God do I hate staring at his emo, ugly mug. If you haven't read, he's supposed to be beautiful, nobel and devoted to honour above all else. He's supposed to be this paragon of knighthood. Instead, we have this scowling little brat who looks just about as ugly as Asha. No wait... uglier. Cat is prettier. I just don't like him. At. all. Put twenty pounds of muscle on Lancel and you have a better Loras. Of course, then you'd need another scrawny pretty boy.

Gonna miss the Queen of Thorns, but I think Margeary is the key Tyrell in this show.

Loving Brienne. Pretty much as I read her - she seems like a big oaf and a nothing and then the more time she spends in the story, the deeper the character becomes until you realize, hey, she's pretty important. They so far have that one right.

Wife and I are separated on Halfhand. She thinks he should have been a more giant of a man; I always prefered the crafty look of a man who's legend is much bigger than his is. Thoughts on that?

Lately, I've cooled on Stannis. His character is getting better, at least fitting with the Stannis I envisioned. More stern and final in his word. Still not physically as imposing, but it's beginning to work. Still, he's in the background a bit to play the Melisandre and Davos conflict as the central roll of this plotline. That is going well and should work prefectly once Battle of Blackwater is done. Hard to wait that long. However... that birth scene? Wife and I both said "whoa, wait... what happened to her genitalia?" Seems that the pregnant ladies have their vaginas twist underneath them so you can't see them... which I know isn't true because I get to see a naked pregnant woman daily. They stay in the same place.

Breasts get bigger, though.

Should add, a few episodes back when Stannis was lured into sex by Melisandre, for all the wrong reasons, I got a bit hot and bothered by it. I mean, to just wanted so bad to toss a naked woman onto your Westros War Table complete with model armies. Turned to the wife and said, "So are you also thinking about playing risk and then pausing halfway through to have sex on the board, too?" She was not.

Last point - Arya story still rules. Best part of the show.

EDIT: got too used to writing Thrones, cause I mean Queen of Thorns.

Last edited by ACt; 05-02-2012 at 09:54 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Axiom (05-07-2012), Demi-God (05-02-2012), kael03 (05-01-2012), Tzu Men (05-01-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #51
The Madness
Passion Rules

Thanked 4,648 Times in 1,771 Posts
The Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really niceThe Madness is just really nice

Never read the books, will marathon them this summer while I'm living in the woods.

But the show. goddamn goddamn it's pretty good.

Worst for me would probably the lack of nick offerman, but that's probably just because im watching parks and rec now.

But seriously, it makes me rage in a most awesome way how many absolute CUNTS are in this show. Characters, that is. And they seem to have found the most CUNTY looking CUNTS to play these CUNTS. Jaufree, his CUNT mom, his CUNT uncledad, that faggot rose prince who got sprayed with brienne's (waifu) CUNT fury, and his psycho CUNT wife with that funky dress everyone has been talking about. Oh and one more dried up furry pussy of a CUNT, that kid who told tyrion about the wildfire, the one fucking cersei

They are just...perfectly fucking annoying. Shifty, yellow bellied, liars, manipulators and sluts. Don't get me wrong, I love that the character makes me feel the hate for them.

Arya and Brienne are who I'd want with me in a zombie apocalypse.

Arya's story is getting reallly fucking good too dudes, Tywen (girls name) as well as that crazy old iron krakken pirate dude. The mole faced kids dad, the one who fingered his sister on the horse, yah that one.

Yah, he's such a IDGAF pirate king. "WE TAKE IT, WE PAY THE IRON PRICE" Made my dick hard with inspiration. Total Boss.

Stannis...I just sort of don't care about. I want Brienne to pop his head like a grape between her iron thighs. Maybe he'll get better but as of now he just has this gross looking crazy broad who apparently has hexxus hidden in her uterus. dirty dirty girl.

Last edited by The Madness; 05-04-2012 at 11:55 AM.
The Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Madness For This Useful Post:
ACt (05-04-2012), Axiom (05-07-2012), Mal (05-04-2012), Tzu Men (05-07-2012)
Old 05-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #52
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Oh shit, did I just read a FernGully allusion? Good show, sir.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
The Madness (05-04-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #53
Axiom
[something clever]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACt View Post
1-Where the fuck is Pod? You'd think the TV show would realize they need him.
2-God do I hate staring at his emo, ugly mug.
3-Gonna miss the Queen of Thorns, but I think Margeary is the key Tyrell in this show.
4-Wife and I are separated on Halfhand. She thinks he should have been a more giant of a man; I always prefered the crafty look of a man who's legend is much bigger than his is. Thoughts on that?
5-Lately, I've cooled on Stannis.
1-He was mentioned once, and had almost 2 seconds of screen time... What more do you want? But yeah, really, Blackwater is coming up so they should definitely start to develop him some, or they'll miss the chance to show boat the stark contrast in his battle/non-battle personas.

2-Wholeheartedly concur. The only moment I didn't utterly despise him(just regular kind of despising). Was at that "Listen to this bitch" face he made behind Catelyn, when she gave the "If you were my sons speech". My old lady and I made the same face.

3-??? Was it mentioned somewhere that she wont be appearing in the show? Cause yeah... That would suck. Her role may have been minor, but she had a pretty significant impact on the political landscape of Westeros.

4-I wasn't disappointed at Halfhands casting. I pictured him taller, but what can you do. There's only like two or so casted characters that resemble what I had pictured when reading anyway.

5-Not sure what everyone is upset about with the Stannis actor, see above statement. I mean yeah, he doesn't look or sound what I had imagined, but again, few of the characters do. He plays the role well enough for my taste.

One thing in ep 5 I was looking forward too, that was omitted. Was when Stannis told Cat "Lord Eddard was no friend of mine, but only a fool would question his honor". Don't know why I wanted to see it, or why they changed it, but whatever.

Episode 6:
I thought the riot scene in the streets of Kings Landing was overdone. Joffrey taking a poo-ball to the face was good and all, because you know, fuck Joffrey. But the part where they ripped the the holy dude's arm if in under three seconds, then the commoner raises it over his head like a trophy. Also, the would be rapey guy who for some reason was fixated on taking Sansa's shoe's off. Seemed like a stupid way to try and slow the scene down, giving the Hound time to get there.

Tywin is starting to remind me off my father... It's not a good thing. Though, I did like his remarks to Little Finger. "You say that like you are the first man to think it.... Any more brilliant insights you'd like to share".

Little Finger
/sadface

Anyway another episode down. I'm glad they decided to break up the books into 2 seasons starting with Storm of Swords. Way to much is happening in what little time they have.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #54
Tzu Men
hostis humani generis

Thanked 2,697 Times in 854 Posts
Tzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the rough

WARNING EPISODE 6 SPOILERS... (spoiler tags fuck up with links, can't be arsed to fix them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
Episode 6:
I thought the riot scene in the streets of Kings Landing was overdone. Joffrey taking a poo-ball to the face was good and all, because you know, fuck Joffrey. But the part where they ripped the the holy dude's arm if in under three seconds, then the commoner raises it over his head like a trophy. Also, the would be rapey guy who for some reason was fixated on taking Sansa's shoe's off. Seemed like a stupid way to try and slow the scene down, giving the Hound time to get there.
The shoe thing is silly I agree.

Peasants ripping off people's arms and such like is probably based on events in real life though - things like Wat Tyler's rebellion (and the Peasants' Revolt), and the Harrying of the North were really fucking bloody. Some of the peasant uprisings in medieval Europe make the French Revolution look civilised.

I thought the episode was great. Tyrion is risking himself with Joffrey though. Quarth is a little underwhelming - the whole thing seems like filler compared to last season for Dany.

Also I'm pretty convinced that Theon is screwed if the skin flaying family's bastard is being sent to deal with him. The father only had one line before and it was creepy as fuck. Theon is a little bitch but nobody deserves to be flayed alive.
Tzu Men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #55
ACt
Heart Wizard

Queen of Thorns - no, they haven't said she won't be in it, but just with the meddling that the Tyrell Bobsey twins (Margeary and Loras) are up to with Renly, I get the sense that introducing Olenna seems redundent. From the books, I always got the sense that she was running just about everything in House Tyrell on the subtle side, what with Lord Tyrell being a bit of a boar. Perhaps they'll bring it forth that she was mentoring Margaery, but I always got the sense that the girl was left in the dark on a lot of things, due to youth and due to her percarious position of being the one to be wedded off. Can't have her betray the family.

In this vien, I don't mind seeing Ann Boelyn play Margaery... but I had her younger and fairer. Seems an odd choice, again, makes me think that they just won't bother with the meddling old lady.

I hope I'm wrong, but just looking at it from a TV maker's perspective - you don't bring in redundency and by book four there are so many characters... you just can't have them all.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #56
Shino
I'm so happy because today I found my friends- they're in my head

Shino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone else notice the complete lack of the Reed children? How are they gonna play that out later in Bran's story? Just saying "fuck it" and have Osha take their place and have Rickon tag along as dead weight?

A lot of things they leave out could be argued as minor things, but the Reeds I'd say are not one of those. To a lesser extent, the way they showed Renly dying. His throat was supposed to be slit with his metal gorget still protecting it, and not just being stabbed in the back. Which as you know, if you have read the books, is one of the main reasons both Jaime and Loras eventually believe that Brienne did not kill Renly.

Little things, I know, but I'm a bit of a stickler for the details.

Gamertag: ShinoNC
Shino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:04 AM   #57
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shino View Post
Anyone else notice the complete lack of the Reed children? How are they gonna play that out later in Bran's story? Just saying "fuck it" and have Osha take their place and have Rickon tag along as dead weight?

A lot of things they leave out could be argued as minor things, but the Reeds I'd say are not one of those. To a lesser extent, the way they showed Renly dying. His throat was supposed to be slit with his metal gorget still protecting it, and not just being stabbed in the back. Which as you know, if you have read the books, is one of the main reasons both Jaime and Loras eventually believe that Brienne did not kill Renly.

Little things, I know, but I'm a bit of a stickler for the details.
I noticed the lack of the Reeds, since they began Bran's training in warging. I also noticed that they changed Ser Rodrick's death, and the events leading up to that. He was originally swayed from retaking Winterfell because Theon threatened to hang his daughter. His death was really by Ramsey Snow when Rodrick believed he had gained Bolton men to aid in the reclaiming of Winterfell.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 AM   #58
Demi-God
BEST

Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,312 Posts
Demi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to all

I want a spin-off series for Tyrion and Broon and then another for Arya, Tywin and Jaqen. They could all live in an apartment and it would be so much fun.

The episode has been pretty solid, I've started reading the books (half way through the first one) and I can understand some changes they make since the medium is different and they don't have leeway with descriptions and detail like you would have in books so it's all good.

Theon is douche and Dany is getting annoying with the whole mother of dragons stuff, though I guess that's part of her character and she seems to be slowly transforming into a she-Viserys.

Question about the books:

As I said I've only read the first half of the first book, up to the point where Ned wakes up from his sleep and he sits on the throne.

The question is about Jon Snow though, from reading the events that happened in the past and a few little hints they seem to drop it seems to me that he's not Ned's bastard child at all, but Lyannas? With Rhaegar being the father.

With Ned being so reserved in the information that he gives about the mother, and frankly I don't believe be would have bedded another woman, and then the stuff that happens in the Trident and Lyanna making him promise something. Then some other little droplets to his Stark looks and so on.

Is there any weight to this or am I just seeing things?

Last edited by Demi-God; 05-08-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Demi-God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #59
ACt
Heart Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi-God View Post
Question about the books:

As I said I've only read the first half of the first book, up to the point where Ned wakes up from his sleep and he sits on the throne.

The question is about Jon Snow though, from reading the events that happened in the past and a few little hints they seem to drop it seems to me that he's not Ned's bastard child at all, but Lyannas? With Rhaegar being the father.

With Ned being so reserved in the information that he gives about the mother, and frankly I don't believe be would have bedded another woman, and then the stuff that happens in the Trident and Lyanna making him promise something. Then some other little droplets to his Stark looks and so on.

Is there any weight to this or am I just seeing things?
You really should just keep reading to find out.
Heh - couldn't resist could you? It's a very popular theory that is only gaining strength, particularly with the requirements the story is imposing as it grows (I mean, I can't give you all of it because you have four more books). I would say the majority believe it to be true, though nothing has been completely confirmed yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Demi-God (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #60
Demi-God
BEST

Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,312 Posts
Demi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to all

I hit the second spoiler tag before I finished reading the first. I guess by the time I'm finished with the current books, the next one will come out.

I WILL BE READY!

Edit: Also, I want to collect all the Joffrey slap .gifs by the end of this show.

Last edited by Demi-God; 05-08-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Demi-God is offline   Reply With Quote