Games and all things related - Page 186 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > The Trashbin > Spam Zone

Spam Zone Come here to post anything that doesnt fit into the rest of the forum topics.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #2776
Shrike
█▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

Thanked 9,848 Times in 2,943 Posts
Shrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant future
Re: Games and all things related

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACt View Post
Dude - it's like a fucking Lynx or Bobcat! Those things are vicious.

Anyway, has anyone heard of DayZ? Someone just sent me the link. Basically, it's a survival zombie game that plays out rather closely to how zombie survival would. I'll just post the article.

http://kotaku.com/5908753/this-might...game-ever-made

Seems almost made for OH.
It grips the atmosphere amazingly, we need more of that, but zombies are really retarded as fuck (you know what I mean).

Also:

"From Resident Evil to Left 4 Dead, they don't really capture the essence of a good zombie yarn like Dawn of the Dead or The Walking Dead manage"

:/

Sure, if you only played RE4 + ... Older REs are better then any other zombie game because the zombies are actually zombies.

I finished Operation Raccoon City. What the developers of that game and any other zombie game do not realize is that zombies are not some angry hissing creatures going for a kill. They are pretty strong, mindless shells going for fucking food. If anyone played older REs, like 1, 2, 3, they know what a zombie is like. That sound they let out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3TuxR_HqbU. I mean, goddamn, that's a fucking zombie. It's not demon possessed body trying to rip the throat of anything it seems and continues on. They are not evil. They are just hungry. It's the concept that keeps being mixed up.

The sad thing is, that even the new RE games are going for it. The action has replaced any kind of suspense or fear. The infinite shooting replaced the fear of running out of bullets. Etc.

Btw I preordered D3 after all. Gonna ruin my life I fear.
Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shrike For This Useful Post:
Mal (05-10-2012)

Old 05-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #2777
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,596 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Yeah yeah yeah - so I wasn't linking for the quality of the post but because was where I learned about the game, with videos and such. Geez you guys are critical... but yeah, I was disappointed when I actually saw what DayZ called a zombie. Think that's why people are more interested in fucking with other people in the game.

Trying to get a copy of Resident Evil 1 or 2 to play. Will let you know.

I also agree that the shift in zombie attitude is a bit lamentable. Always perfered the slow moving mindless horde over these quick, spritely, relentless monsters. You're supposed to be able to sit there and shoot a whole pack of zombies as they shuffle towards (Like Hershel in season 2) but you'd then only drawn in more zombies and find yourself running out of supplies/ammo (unlike Hershel in season 2) so it's a bad bad idea.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Shrike (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #2778
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Thanked 12,471 Times in 3,663 Posts
Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold

I think the "rage" zombie type works well for a game like DayZ. Watch the video I posted. Early on, the group kills a couple of zombies on a farm, and they shit bricks. But they survive easily enough. Then, the guy looks over the fields on the left side to see a dozen or so zombies sprinting towards them. I mean, I think that's pretty cool.

Haven't played Operation Raccoon City yet. I know it's not a proper Resi game, it's just a middle-of-the-road third person shooter. Still want to play it, because I'm a RE fanboy and the idea of the game appeals to me. Looks competent enough to have fun playing it.

I think old-style slow zombies worked in Resident Evil not because they were scary, or a threat. They worked because they were bullet sponges. The old games, especially the first, were about working out a strategy from getting from A to Z (heh, Z), while sustaining the least amount of damage and using the least amount of ammo. If you didn't plan correctly, you got overwhelmed. The zombies usually weren't enough to kill you even then, but the addition of enemies like the Hunter that do a lot more damage per hit meant that if the zombies pinned you down, something else would fuck you up. Hell, Hunters even have a one-hit kill attack if you're even slightly damaged, but only when they're behind you. Not having a plan, and getting distracted by other enemies like zombies meant you'd get instantly decapitated.

I don't quite know what point I'm making here. I think I just fucking love Resident Evil.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaxon For This Useful Post:
ACt (05-10-2012), Miburo (07-03-2012), Shrike (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #2779
Shrike
█▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

Shrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Haven't played Operation Raccoon City yet. I know it's not a proper Resi game, it's just a middle-of-the-road third person shooter. Still want to play it, because I'm a RE fanboy and the idea of the game appeals to me. Looks competent enough to have fun playing it.
About ORC, I am sure you will keep cursing the game mechanics until you get used to it. It is bad, and I mean really bad. The AI is absolutely atrocious. It sometimes so happens that a goddamn Hunter turns away and goes somewhere instead of chopping my head off.

Even so, you can't help but love it. I mean, it's Raccoon City man. And seeing all the BOWs feels awesome still no matter how bad they did the AI or whatever. The sad thing is that main threat for me were the humans in the game though, with a few exceptions.

So, even with all the handicaps, I am sure you will be satisfied at least to an extent in the end. Too bad it's such a short game, too.

Quote:
I think old-style slow zombies worked in Resident Evil not because they were scary, or a threat. They worked because they were bullet sponges. The old games, especially the first, were about working out a strategy from getting from A to Z (heh, Z), while sustaining the least amount of damage and using the least amount of ammo. If you didn't plan correctly, you got overwhelmed. The zombies usually weren't enough to kill you even then, but the addition of enemies like the Hunter that do a lot more damage per hit meant that if the zombies pinned you down, something else would fuck you up. Hell, Hunters even have a one-hit kill attack if you're even slightly damaged, but only when they're behind you. Not having a plan, and getting distracted by other enemies like zombies meant you'd get instantly decapitated.
I'll add to that. When playing 2 or 3, for example, saving bullets by running past the zombies was good...unless, that is, you are too scared to try to get past them because you know it's going to be fucking hard to do so unless you have played the game for some time. I've had two friends playing RE 1,2,3, Remake, and Code Veronica at my place this winter. We were chilling, drinking and I only watched them play because they never played before. They are 26, and holy shit were they scared (Nemesis and Crimson Heads in Remake gave them screams). I know that I cannot enjoy RE as much since I am a moron who played every RE game for a hundred times, but I LOVED watching them play.

Then, a few weeks ago, I gave them to try 5. Their reaction was - It was okay :/

When it comes to difficulty though, I would have to disagree with you. You said that the zombies wouldn't overwhelm you that easily usually. Think of playing RE2 for the first time in your life. You have to reach the police station and you don't know how many zombies are between you and the facility, so you start shooting... and realize there is about thirty more zombies to kill and you are out of ammo. And that's only one example. I love RE for the reason of zombies being an actual threat, not a fodder to charge through. Nowadays you just melee five zombies like in ORC :/ I thought knife should be like the last resort, right?

There is one last thing I'd like to mention... fuck, had a 10 min phone call and my thought went to shit. Oh well. Probably wanted to say something along the lines of Fuck yeah, Resident Evil!

Quote:
I don't quite know what point I'm making here. I think I just fucking love Resident Evil.
I know it's old but...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shrike For This Useful Post:
Jaxon (05-10-2012), Mal (05-10-2012), Miburo (07-03-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #2780
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Thanked 12,471 Times in 3,663 Posts
Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold

Your friends are awesome.

I think you're right about the zombies being a threat thing. From our point of view, we know exactly how much damage they're likely to take, their speed, and range of attack. Every time we come across one we have a plan to deal with it. But I know when I was playing the game for the first time when I was like, 10 or whatever, I killed virtually every zombie I came across and ended up having ammo problems on normal mode. I found the original game to be the most difficult of the first three because of that, since RE2 and RE3 do take a slightly more action-friendly approach, RE3 especially. People say RE4 was a big change in direction, I don't think it was. The series was always heading that way. IMO a remake of RE3 with RE4 mechanics would feel all that different.

I seem to be slowly collecting RE games. I'm aiming to get a Saturn copy of the original, Dreamcast copies of 3 and CV, and a copy of REmake. Never finished REmake.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaxon For This Useful Post:
Miburo (07-03-2012), Shrike (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #2781
Shrike
█▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

Quote:
Your friends are awesome.

I think you're right about the zombies being a threat thing. From our point of view, we know exactly how much damage they're likely to take, their speed, and range of attack. Every time we come across one we have a plan to deal with it. But I know when I was playing the game for the first time when I was like, 10 or whatever, I killed virtually every zombie I came across and ended up having ammo problems on normal mode. I found the original game to be the most difficult of the first three because of that, since RE2 and RE3 do take a slightly more action-friendly approach, RE3 especially. People say RE4 was a big change in direction, I don't think it was. The series was always heading that way. IMO a remake of RE3 with RE4 mechanics would feel all that different.

I seem to be slowly collecting RE games. I'm aiming to get a Saturn copy of the original, Dreamcast copies of 3 and CV, and a copy of REmake. Never finished REmake.
Original RE is the hardest one, I wholeheartedly agree. If two zombies got you cornered it's a gg. Your character wouldn't push both of them away like in the other games, so they would take turns gangbanging you.

I would agree that RE3 is more action oriented then 2 and especially 1, but I cannot agree that RE3 isn't a huge difference to RE4 still. My reasons being that in 4 you can, well, buy things. It took away all the gritty feeling of reality every RE before had. Collecting points makes you feel like : hey, I am playing a game and the more of these things I kill the more points I'll get kind of thing.

In RE3 and those before it, you could feel the tragedy and the horror through sheer atmosphere, for example by picking up a shotgun from a dead guy surrounded by zombies knowing he died fighting, while in 4 you can just, well, buy it. Before RE4 there were these files and diaries which made the game SO much more awesome then when in 4 you find a file : There is an American here, take him out. Through those diaries you could just feel the atmosphere. There was more then one diary which concludes in the suicide of the writer, which makes it such a realistic zombie apocalypse kind of thing since you can see how hopeless people felt.

In 4 and 5 and ORC, you run around Ganados (not even zombies), shoot them, kick them and just keep repeating the same without much fuss (not saying about the difficulty, just the feel of the game. the difficulty in 4 was really well done). Even if RE3 took that shooting more heavily then it's predecessors, you had fucking Nemesis there. Even if RE3 had none of the atmosphere 1 and 2 had (and it did), Nemesis would repair it. You just HAD to feel dread from this guy. He kept showing around the corner, never letting go and he is just so challenging that even I who played for so many times have problems with him in certain encounters. So, no matter how much you felt RE3 went for a shooter (and if you ask me, it didn't, it just got a little more noob friendly then what the original did), it still had the survival thing to it. You would never think : hey let's kill Nemesis since I'll get points for him like you would when you faced El Gigante. Even if Nemesis did drop items on Hard difficulty, you would dread the encounter each time since you are dead if you get caught by him even when on Caution.

The point is I CAN'T FUCKING STOP TALKING ABOUT HOW AWESOME THIS GAME IS.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shrike For This Useful Post:
Jaxon (05-10-2012), Miburo (07-03-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #2782
Marlboro
Drop The World <3

Thanked 1,121 Times in 669 Posts
Marlboro is on a distinguished roadMarlboro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post
Also:

"From Resident Evil to Left 4 Dead, they don't really capture the essence of a good zombie yarn like Dawn of the Dead or The Walking Dead manage"
Out of those, L4D is what I like the most. Then again, I haven't really played the others, so..

But L4D 2 is way better than the first...IMO, it really captured the zombie-ish picture, and the graphics weren't bad too. Had a lot of good maps as well.

I am the stone that the builder refused
I am the visual, the inspiration
That makes ladies sing the blues
Marlboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #2783
OG
[잊지 말아요]

Thanked 4,149 Times in 1,809 Posts
OG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these parts

^ i like that 2 has more infected and less open space in most of the maps(better spawn spots for infected), but i think the feel in 1 is better imo. although i liek melee in 2 lol

i love the l4d series but modded servers, normal is too easy now. >.>

recently been trying out l4d maps people made though lol, tried a zelda one, damn dragonz killed me cause bots didnt know where to shoot and just died off XD

also for the people who have played crysis, is the ai really that dumb that they can trip over each other? or did they do it "realistic" to where people would trip and stuff when they scared. i was watching an LP and the ai soldier trip over his friend and the player was like wtf did i just watch?! i just lol

Last edited by OG; 05-11-2012 at 12:08 AM.
OG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OG For This Useful Post:
Demi-God (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #2784
Demi-God
BEST

Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,312 Posts
Demi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to all

I do love L4D1 for its lack of Spitters.

Also, join the Rockstar Community on Steam before the 15th of May and get Midnight Club 2 for free on the 29th, http://steamcommunity.com/games/rock...78427175199696

Free games, yay.
Demi-God is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Demi-God For This Useful Post:
Axiom (05-11-2012), Mal (05-12-2012), OG (05-12-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #2785
OG
[잊지 말아요]

Thanked 4,149 Times in 1,809 Posts
OG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these parts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwNVQ...&feature=g-u-u

gaming related. lol
Old 05-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #2786
AOTKorby
Leaf on the Wind

Thanked 5,580 Times in 2,261 Posts
AOTKorby is a jewel in the roughAOTKorby is a jewel in the roughAOTKorby is a jewel in the roughAOTKorby is a jewel in the roughAOTKorby is a jewel in the roughAOTKorby is a jewel in the rough

Holy fuck the new Borderlands 2 previews from IGN are goddamn epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osejQyVug1o Preview of the new Siren (look at the fucking skill tree holy shit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46GOWOkHySM Preview of the Gunzerker
The Following User Says Thank You to AOTKorby For This Useful Post:
OG (05-12-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #2787
Axiom
[something clever]

Axiom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm probably the odd man out on this one, but I didn't care for Borderlands that much. Though, the sequel does look better.
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #2788
xxMESTxx
EffYouSeeKay

xxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enough

Was thinking of heading out to go pick up Diablo 3 today. Been hearing about crashes all day though. Also kind of worried I'll hate it and waste my money, haha. Anybody here have it or getting it soon?

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -M. K. Gandhi
xxMESTxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #2789
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,817 Times in 3,843 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

No plans at all to get it, probably going with Torchlight 2 instead.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Demi-God (05-16-2012), xxMESTxx (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #2790
xxMESTxx
EffYouSeeKay

xxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enough

Yeah I decided to wait. I'll probably be checking out guild wars 2 though.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -M. K. Gandhi
xxMESTxx is offline   Reply With Quote