US Ambassador in Libya Killed - Page 3 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 09-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #31
emachina
Jounin

emachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura about
Re: US Ambassador in Libya Killed

Murder to politics to religion to gay marriage to swapping nudez.

I love this place.
emachina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emachina For This Useful Post:
Miburo (09-14-2012), Numinous (09-15-2012)

Old 09-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #32
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

@Van- I still need to send you a box of shit first. I meant to do it earlier, but I was way too poor. Should be good now though. What size t-shirt you cool with? They're dude shirts, and mostly M and L, but I might be able to get a S. Gotta look around. And you okay with prepackaged pastries? Can get coffee kakes, candy kakes, pies, whatever. I'm really bad at thinking of awesome things to mail, haha.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
Vanity (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #33
Vanity
Succumb

Thanked 5,991 Times in 2,240 Posts
Vanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really nice

I'm cool with anything, honestly. I PM'd you for e-mail, so geev eet to me.

And it's cute that you think I can squeeze my tits into a small <3 I like large pr extra larges, because then I don't stretch the fabric -_-

Also, there's some serious shit going on in the Egyptian capital like...right now.
Speak to me.
Why do you never speak?
Speak.
What are you thinking of?
What thinking?
What?

I never know what you are thinking.
Think.
Vanity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanity For This Useful Post:
Miburo (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #34
xxMESTxx
EffYouSeeKay

xxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
Also, there's some serious shit going on in the Egyptian capital like...right now.
Like...what?

Edit: The arrival of the Marines in Yemen?

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -M. K. Gandhi

Last edited by xxMESTxx; 09-14-2012 at 05:27 PM.
xxMESTxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #35
Vanity
Succumb

Vanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really nice

I just turned on CCN. There's either a riot, or a protest that's going sour really fast.

Edit: just came back on. It was a protest, and the government is currently tear gassing them, and shooting rubber bullets.

I'm not sure what's causing it, actually. I caught the end of it, and they keep moving on to Libya.
Speak to me.
Why do you never speak?
Speak.
What thinking?
What?

Think.

Last edited by Vanity; 09-14-2012 at 05:39 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vanity For This Useful Post:
Darth-Nero (09-15-2012), Miburo (09-14-2012), xxMESTxx (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #36
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Thanked 1,248 Times in 521 Posts
jekyl_hyde is on a distinguished roadjekyl_hyde is on a distinguished road

Fridays are a "rallying" day for Muslims for some reason. ABC News, CBS News, Fox News, and NBC all ran news reports on the protests that were known of last night. Pretty much everything that is going on today was expected.

@Mest
The Marines were supposed to have arrived early this morning U.S. time with the destroyers that are off the coast in Libya. At least that was what was reported by the aforementioned news providers.

Last edited by jekyl_hyde; 09-14-2012 at 06:00 PM.
jekyl_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #37
xxMESTxx
EffYouSeeKay

xxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enough

Been searching around google, this was all I could find so far though. Can't find the reason either. Maybe it's just a reaction to our Marines touching ground?

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -M. K. Gandhi
xxMESTxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #38
Tzu Men
hostis humani generis

Thanked 2,698 Times in 855 Posts
Tzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the rough

Got to be honest, I only read the first eight posts or so - it's 11pm and I've been reading endless walls of texts all day sorry. From scanning over the others it seems that I mostly agree with you guys anyway though.

I think that the second-most disgusting thing, other than the idiotic mob killing those people, is how Romney jumped on Obama immediately after it happened. It's just ruthless political gain. It is entirely out of Obama's control and any step he took would be wrong in Republican eyes.

I agree with Nero that there should be some control over freedom of speech in America. Everyone should have freedom of speech - but when something you're saying is clearly inflammatory and is going to put peoples' lives at risk it's stupid. The person who made that film endangered national security (actually all Western embassies now) and nothing positive has been accomplished by his actions. The film is a rehash of a film released over the summer, and the most ridiculous thing is that it hardly exists - Roger Ebert was right saying that it's a political statement rather than a film. It existed entirely to provoke a backlash from equally radical Muslims. Religious fanatics abound. Muslims in general do need to develop a thicker skin (and a better sense of humour in this country), no religion can expect pardon from ridicule, but this film was just insulting.

Freedom is 'Merican and all that but it's legally straightforward to make hateful morons like that shut the fuck up. Britain can be a bit Orwellian but nobody felt as if we were in a police state when Captain Hook got detained.

The Muslims who attacked the embassy are the ones who committed the crime, they are the savages. I am not criticising that. But rather than listening to Romney I do fucking wish that Americans would realise that people like those film makers are baiting tragedies. They don't care who they offend because it's not their blood that has to pay the price. They're parasites just as much as the thugs in Benghazi are monsters.

Edit: I do appreciate the American legal system is a mess for conducting anything practical, but I'd still stick to my point. Restricting freedom of speech won't happen in America for all the obvious reasons, but it still should.

Last edited by Tzu Men; 09-14-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Tzu Men is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tzu Men For This Useful Post:
Darth-Nero (09-15-2012), Miburo (09-14-2012), Numinous (09-15-2012), T9F (09-14-2012), Vanity (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #39
Vanity
Succumb

One of the issues with a greater restriction on freedom of speech is how to word such a restriction: What is the baselines limitations [such as inciting a riot, or being the direct cause of harming others]? What is the line between offense and national security? When is it going against our constitution, or when is it too loose, making it nearly impossible to enforce? Is there going to be a screening for everything of this nature? Who's job will it be to filter speech? How is this going to affect taxes?

This would need to be an amendment and those are excruciatingly difficult to attain.
Speak to me.
Why do you never speak?
Speak.
What thinking?
What?

Think.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vanity For This Useful Post:
Darth-Nero (09-15-2012), Miburo (09-14-2012), Numinous (09-15-2012), stubborn_d0nkey (09-14-2012), Tzu Men (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #40
stubborn_d0nkey
Kage

Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,129 Posts
stubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the rough

I didn't watch the movie, don't know that much about all this and I didn't read all the posts here, but this whole restricting freedom of speech thing, really?

I don't know about you guys, but I took this as being a case of an irrational person doing something irrational which irrational people took irrationally and responded to irrationally.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quotes for noobs (learn how to break up a quote)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future
So you can post the second bit and i shouldnt be allowed to if i dont tell you? Why be so rude?

Anyways, here is a quotes for noobs guide

1. A basic quote

[*QUOTE][*/QUOTE]

(the * need to be removed for it to work, I put them in so you can see the text) is a basic quote that just wraps something in a quote without saying who quoted it who quoted so

[*QUOTE]this is a quote[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
this is a quote

Edit: there is a button for this, it looks like a speech bubble. If you select text and then press the button the selected text will automatically be wrapped with the quote tag

2. A quote that says who said it

[*QUOTE=who said it][*/QUOTE] this adds who said the post, manually putting that there can be useful when quoting something external. Example:

[*QUOTE=Mangastream]Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangastream
Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us
3. A quote that says who said it and links to the post where it was said

[*QUOTE=who said it;X][*/QUOTE]

Where X is the post number.

For the post that i originally quoted it would look like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]

That is what you get when you press the quote button.

4. Breaking up a quote

Now that you know how quotes work it all boils down to preference, how you want it to look like and how you want to do it.

One way of doing it is copying the latter part of the original quote [*/QUOTE] and then pasting it after each section you break up, write your reply, choose the text you want then paste it after that portion, repeat till you finish the go back and copy then paste the first part of the text at the beginning of each portion of text. Of course you can immediately copy and paste both parts of a poste so that you dont forget one in the end.

The end result would be something like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which without any * would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4

Another way of doing it would be to cut and paste the second part of the quote tag after the first section of text you want to seperate then write your reply select the second part and hit he quote button (it looks like a text bubble),if you do that without anything else the end result would be

My reply 1
[*QUOTE] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
my reply 2
Quote:
my reply 3
Quote:
my reply 4

To make it like the previous example (which wpuld be preferred, though not necessary ) copy the part that says who posted with the link to the post and paste it accordingly to the proper part in each first half of each quote tag. In my I would copy =minato uchiha;2118164 and paste it where the # is
[*QUOTE#] to get [*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] (of course with the * removed)

Of course you can use any other method you like to get to the end result, but now that you know what the end rwsult looks like I think there shouldnt be any problems
stubborn_d0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stubborn_d0nkey For This Useful Post:
Miburo (09-14-2012), Numinous (09-15-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #41
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno guys. Edit: I agree with this guy^

Should we really make laws against pissing off fucking savages because they conduct themselves like they are rabid chimpanzees or some shit and can't handle a guy making a youtube video that upsets them without going out and murdering innocent people? It's not like the goddamn movie was US government funded or anything. Fuck off, you goddamn savages.

Yeah, the loss of innocent lives is horrible and tragic. It's really, really goddamn upsetting. And it certainly isn't necessary for people to be trying to piss these guys off. But come on. Fuck those guys, seriously. What the fuck are these countries doing about all the goddamn psychopath murderers they have as citizens? If our country is going to do something about it, we should do something that doesn't involve trying to appease monsters at the expense of our own citizens' freedoms. Like get on these guys to clean up their shithole countries to the point where foreign diplomats aren't being murdered and having their corpses dragged through the streets because of some low budget, shitty movie. Which really shouldn't be a lot to ask.

Besides, if the US made pissing off crazy sand savages illegal it would seriously do nothing. Because then someone in holland or some shit would draw a cartoon that displeases these barbarians and they'd go behead some americans anyway if they could get their hands on them. Or brits, or canadians, or sweds, or whoever they can find. Because they don't fucking care. They're seriously goddamn cave men. Cave man mad. Cave man allah ackbar people. That's what they do. It doesn't matter who does it, probably wouldn't matter if anyone even did anything. Get some chinese dude to stroll around over there all by himself and they're probably saw his head off with a jagged rock if they get the chance and say they did it because he was a filthy infidel or some shit. It doesn't matter. They're monsters.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
Darth-Nero (09-15-2012), Numinous (09-15-2012), rokudaime_hokage (09-14-2012), Tzu Men (09-14-2012), Vanity (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #42
Tzu Men
hostis humani generis

Tzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
One of the issues with a greater restriction on freedom of speech is how to word such a restriction: What is the baselines limitations [such as inciting a riot, or being the direct cause of harming others]? What is the line between offense and national security? When is it going against our constitution, or when is it too loose, making it nearly impossible to enforce? Is there going to be a screening for everything of this nature? Who's job will it be to filter speech? How is this going to affect taxes?

This would need to be an amendment and those are excruciatingly difficult to attain.
Yeah, having a constitution makes that difficult.

Our system in the UK certainly has definite flaws, but because law is decided largely by precedent we circumvent shit like that...

(At least as I understand it...)

A written law might have dangerous loopholes or points for exploitation within it, but when the law is enacted in court the judgement decides the precedent of how the law is applied. And the judge's decision is usually affected by the jury and it is decided via legal reasoning.

We've had some very dodgy anti-terrorism laws since Blair and Afghanistan happened but if those laws are challenged successfully in court they'll be crippled from going awry again because the judge will set a precedent on that law's application. And you can challenge laws a ridiculous number of times because of the UK and EU courts.

Furthermore, since the government hasn't got to apply for an amendment it's pretty straightforward for them to add new laws that limit previous ones, or rip old laws out entirely. So anything against public opinion is pretty easy to terminate.

Our system gets shit though because in the last two decades or so governments have been making hundreds of laws which have appendices that are thousands of pages long and full of contradictions. You can twist the meaning of the same law to do two things at once - and the judges are completely overloaded by it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tzu Men For This Useful Post:
Darth-Nero (09-15-2012), Miburo (09-14-2012), Numinous (09-15-2012), Vanity (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #43
stubborn_d0nkey
Kage

Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,129 Posts
stubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the rough

AFAIK US law is also precedent based (perhaps not the best word)

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quotes for noobs (learn how to break up a quote)
Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future
So you can post the second bit and i shouldnt be allowed to if i dont tell you? Why be so rude?

Anyways, here is a quotes for noobs guide

1. A basic quote

[*QUOTE][*/QUOTE]

(the * need to be removed for it to work, I put them in so you can see the text) is a basic quote that just wraps something in a quote without saying who quoted it who quoted so

[*QUOTE]this is a quote[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
this is a quote

Edit: there is a button for this, it looks like a speech bubble. If you select text and then press the button the selected text will automatically be wrapped with the quote tag

2. A quote that says who said it

[*QUOTE=who said it][*/QUOTE] this adds who said the post, manually putting that there can be useful when quoting something external. Example:

[*QUOTE=Mangastream]Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangastream
Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us
3. A quote that says who said it and links to the post where it was said

[*QUOTE=who said it;X][*/QUOTE]

Where X is the post number.

For the post that i originally quoted it would look like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]

That is what you get when you press the quote button.

4. Breaking up a quote

Now that you know how quotes work it all boils down to preference, how you want it to look like and how you want to do it.

One way of doing it is copying the latter part of the original quote [*/QUOTE] and then pasting it after each section you break up, write your reply, choose the text you want then paste it after that portion, repeat till you finish the go back and copy then paste the first part of the text at the beginning of each portion of text. Of course you can immediately copy and paste both parts of a poste so that you dont forget one in the end.

The end result would be something like this

My reply 1
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which without any * would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
my reply 2
Quote:
my reply 3
Quote:
my reply 4

Another way of doing it would be to cut and paste the second part of the quote tag after the first section of text you want to seperate then write your reply select the second part and hit he quote button (it looks like a text bubble),if you do that without anything else the end result would be

My reply 1
[*QUOTE] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
my reply 2
Quote:
my reply 3
Quote:
my reply 4

To make it like the previous example (which wpuld be preferred, though not necessary ) copy the part that says who posted with the link to the post and paste it accordingly to the proper part in each first half of each quote tag. In my I would copy =minato uchiha;2118164 and paste it where the # is
[*QUOTE#] to get [*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] (of course with the * removed)

Of course you can use any other method you like to get to the end result, but now that you know what the end rwsult looks like I think there shouldnt be any problems

Last edited by stubborn_d0nkey; 09-14-2012 at 07:37 PM.
stubborn_d0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #44
Tzu Men
hostis humani generis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
I dunno guys. Edit: I agree with this guy^

Should we really make laws against pissing off fucking savages because they conduct themselves like they are rabid chimpanzees or some shit and can't handle a guy making a youtube video that upsets them without going out and murdering innocent people? It's not like the goddamn movie was US government funded or anything. Fuck off, you goddamn savages.

Yeah, the loss of innocent lives is horrible and tragic. It's really, really goddamn upsetting. And it certainly isn't necessary for people to be trying to piss these guys off. But come on. Fuck those guys, seriously. What the fuck are these countries doing about all the goddamn psychopath murderers they have as citizens? If our country is going to do something about it, we should do something that doesn't involve trying to appease monsters at the expense of our own citizens' freedoms. Like get on these guys to clean up their shithole countries to the point where foreign diplomats aren't being murdered and having their corpses dragged through the streets because of some low budget, shitty movie. Which really shouldn't be a lot to ask.

Besides, if the US made pissing off crazy sand savages illegal it would seriously do nothing. Because then someone in holland or some shit would draw a cartoon that displeases these barbarians and they'd go behead some americans anyway if they could get their hands on them. Or brits, or canadians, or sweds, or whoever they can find. Because they don't fucking care. They're seriously goddamn cave men. Cave man mad. Cave man allah ackbar people. That's what they do. It doesn't matter who does it, probably wouldn't matter if anyone even did anything. Get some chinese dude to stroll around over there all by himself and they're probably saw his head off with a jagged rock if they get the chance and say they did it because he was a filthy infidel or some shit. It doesn't matter. They're monsters.
I do understand where you are coming from, but I still think that having a system in place to try and stop idiotic shit like this from happening is better than not.

So yeah, the Muslims who can't tolerate anything against their religion are ridiculous and there shouldn't be a law limiting others' freedom to protect scrubs like them. But you're right - they are savages, they aren't going to change. In that same way though, there are always going to be people like that. Even if the Middle East magically got its shit together tomorrow it'll only be a matter of time before a similar ethnic or religious group gets wound up over nothing. Putting some limitations on your own people is the crappier thing to do, but it's the only thing that will work. It's the pragmatic solution rather than the ideal.

I'd like for any barbarians like these people not to exist, but that will not ever happen. The very least you can do is stop handing them such easy reasons to go ape shit and kill people. Batshit religious people are a resigned fact of the era we live in. It is sacrificing some freedom to those who don't deserve it, but there's a living cost to extending it to such extremes.

That said, I am implying that there is a line of distinction.

Things like drawing Muhammed are fine - that's so inconsequential as an action, that it causing people to be killed is more or less inevitable. I wouldn't limit that. The savages who go crazy over things like that would have done so anyway. But I think that this film is different because there's nothing to it other than deliberate provocation. There's no humour or insight, or public interest in it. That's kind of behaviour provokes the dumbshits who are near-savages into being savages and it happens meaninglessly. At least making fun of a religion has meaning to it. The embassy workers died for nothing other than the right to outright insult - I'd die for the right to laugh at or mock, or to tell the truth, but not for what is a borderline hate crime.

I do agree with you, but eradicating stupidity is realistically impossible and some limits on freedom of speech are worthy, if regrettable, forms of damage limitation.

Last edited by Tzu Men; 09-14-2012 at 07:55 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tzu Men For This Useful Post:
Darth-Nero (09-15-2012), Miburo (09-14-2012), Numinous (09-15-2012), Vanity (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #45
Vanity
Succumb

Freedom of speech is a difficult beast to deal with even without this incident. As an example: There was a case of a young girl that posted a youtube video that slandered another chick, and she got suspended from her school for it. However, and attorney stepped in and said that she was using her right to free speech and the school had no right to punish her for it, and they ruled in her favour, forcing the school to reverse their suspension. It's understandable that the ruling was reversed, but some people ask "well what about the victim?" Since it was slanderous in nature, and that's not a protected speech.

Freedom of speech exists to protect the people from the force of the government, but the government exists to protect it's people. So when is it time for the government to step in to protect? Where does it begin and where does it end? Any more restrictions on it would be nearly impossible to define in a clear way.

Edit: oh shit. Way to type faster than me while I'm distracted.
Speak to me.
Why do you never speak?
Speak.
What thinking?
What?

Think.

Last edited by Vanity; 09-14-2012 at 08:05 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vanity For This Useful Post:
Darth-Nero (09-15-2012), Miburo (09-14-2012), Numinous (09-15-2012), Tzu Men (09-14-2012)