The Age problem ? - Page 3 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Anime & Manga > Naruto Series > Naruto Manga

Naruto Manga Talk about the manga series Naruto here! Remember, this is manga only. No anime!

Old 09-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #31
Amuro
Genin

Amuro is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The Age problem ?

I'm a funny person. I agree that Kishi fcked up and I agree that homer and kish can't b compared. I understand people are human and make mistakes. Idk how to put it but mistakes arent excusable but they are forgivable. If kish planned pt 1 & 2 frm the beginning, then I say he slipped up....he should know better. I was under the impression (correct me if im wrong) that Kishi didnt plan on making this manga this long to begin with...so he prolly (actually he did) pull shit out his ass to stretch the story. Does that make it ok? No. It should b pointed out but to ME....I cn let him pass. Idk y but it's not serious to ME. Ages...ok. I haven't looked into it myself but if ages were stated n pt 1, and here we are w/tobi and obito, imma assume (prolly shouldn't) that kish b.s'd and did wat he thought would b cool (evn if it's not cool it's his manga. Like if I made something imma do wat I think is best n cool fr me) not excusing his fck ups....but
Lke I said, if it wasn't planned to b this lng I let it slide...but future Kishi mangas can't have that or I'd label him a "wack" author. I kno mst ppl dnt agree with me but that's hw I feel...
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #32
Kakkakuzu
Chuunin

Kakkakuzu is a jewel in the roughKakkakuzu is a jewel in the roughKakkakuzu is a jewel in the roughKakkakuzu is a jewel in the roughKakkakuzu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael03 View Post
^The databooks are written by Kishi himself, so they are part of the story. They just give more information than Kishi can put in the manga itself.

Canon, maybe, but I wouldn't use the word "story" there. Then again, I haven't read them, but I'd assume it's just a bunch of data, not "storytelling"...

Not that it matters much. Just wanted to clarify my own personal feelings towards the databooks, not to use it as an argument.

They are probably something ordered by the publisher anyway, and Kishi most likely half-assed the work and hasn't given it a second thought since. Not saying it's not unprofessional, just explaining why I don't really care. I can see why others would, though.

Last edited by Kakkakuzu; 09-22-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Kakkakuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #33
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Read the entire post you quoted next time. I said that the databooks give more information than the manga has room to provide. Regardless of your own personal feelings they are just as much of the story as the manga itself, since Kishi is the one that pens them.

As for being something ordered by the publisher, Kishi isn't the only mangaka creating databooks. Kubo has the "Masked" databooks, Oda has databooks as well for One Piece. All are used simply for background information (I'll keep repeating that point until it sinks in, fyi) that the author doesn't have time to convey in the manga.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #34
Kakkakuzu
Chuunin

Kakkakuzu is a jewel in the roughKakkakuzu is a jewel in the roughKakkakuzu is a jewel in the roughKakkakuzu is a jewel in the roughKakkakuzu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Read the entire post you quoted next time.
I did. Although it was pretty elaborate, I still managed.

Maybe you should focus more on comprehending what you read instead of jumping to conclusions and arguing.

Quote:
I said that the databooks give more information than the manga has room to provide.
You said, I didn't argue.

Despite the fact that I haven't read them, I have an idea of what the function of a databook is. Maybe it's semantics, but I don't consider it a part of the story when it's not in story form. If it's a list of data, it's just that. A list of data. Additional information. I don't argue against the validity of the data, I just don't consider it a part of the story.

Quote:
Regardless of your own personal feelings they are just as much of the story as the manga itself, since Kishi is the one that pens them.
And my whole post was to explain my personal feelings, not to argue against the validity of the databooks. I was just trying to explain why I haven't read them, nor do I care to. I wasn't saying others shouldn't read them, or that people shouldn't trust what they say. Or that people should even care about my "personal feelings", I just don't like to be misunderstood.

And I also, at no point, have questioned the use of databooks as background information. My original question was whether all the timeline related plot holes originated from the databook, or if I had perhaps missed something in the manga. It was not intended as an attack against the databooks. Which is also why I wanted to explain my comment about them.

Quote:
As for being something ordered by the publisher, Kishi isn't the only mangaka creating databooks.
And the fact that others release them as well, rules out the possibility of the publisher wanting it, instead of Kishi actually wanting/deciding to provide it himself?

Last edited by Kakkakuzu; 09-22-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Kakkakuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #35
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkakuzu View Post
Despite the fact that I haven't read them, I have an idea of what the function of a databook is. Maybe it's semantics, but I don't consider it a part of the story when it's not in story form. If it's a list of data, it's just that. A list of data. Additional information. I don't argue against the validity of the data, I just don't consider it a part of the story.
They are a part of the story. Deal with it.

Quote:
And I also, at no point, have questioned the use of databooks as background information. My original question was whether all the timeline related plot holes originated from the databook, or if I had perhaps missed something in the manga.
I'll answer this. Yes, the timeline plot holes originate from the databook. They also originate from the story itself. It's because of the databooks that we know when Obito/Rin/etc graduated and became Chuunin and their ages. The manga had Kakashi state that he became a Chuunin at 6.

Quote:
It was not intended as an attack against the databooks. Which is also why I wanted to explain my comment about them.
You dismissed the databooks completely because you haven't read them, even when they provide information that is pertinent to the story.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #36
Kakkakuzu
Chuunin

Quote:
They are a part of the story. Deal with it.
Still semantics.

Quote:
I'll answer this. Yes, the timeline plot holes originate from the databook. They also originate from the story itself. It's because of the databooks that we know when Obito/Rin/etc graduated and became Chuunin and their ages. The manga had Kakashi state that he became a Chuunin at 6.
Thanks for answering my question.

Quote:
You dismissed the databooks completely because you haven't read them, even when they provide information that is pertinent to the story.
Pertinent? Exactly how pertinent to the story is the data contained in the databooks? I assume it's mostly minor details about characters (nothing that's actually required to understand and enjoy the story itself), and if it hadn't created these plot holes none of you who have read the books would give them much more value than I do.