One Piece 688 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Anime & Manga > One Piece Series > One Piece Manga

One Piece Manga Talk about the manga series One Piece here! Remember, this is manga only. No anime!

Old 11-07-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
Tango
Academy Student

Tango is an unknown quantity at this point
One Piece 688

http://www.mangapanda.com/one-piece/688
Enjoy
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
Dagoro
The surgeon of death

Thanked 7,274 Times in 2,924 Posts
Dagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to all
Re: One Piece 688

Non broken link

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/one_p...60/c688/3.html

Hilarious dynamics between Tashigi and Zoro, even though it feels a bit forced. She doesn't seem to mind him carrying her, and checking out his sword... innuendo much ?

The Moccha stuff was good, but it also felt a bit forced. The set up was adequate but it didn't hit me like some of the classic OP emotional moments of yore. The promise highlights the innocence of a child, while the sacrifice displays maturity beyond her years, very similar to Nami during her youth under Arlong's thumb.

I think Chopper's dialog ruined the moment a bit, I would have preferred if the shock of her collapsing on the floor alone would have caused the other children to stop and begin to snap out of it, followed by Chopper doing his best to hide the reality of the situation by putting on a facade promising that he will do his best to cure her knowing that the chances of her surviving are slim.

Oda's approach wasn't bad, but the straight forwardness took some of the tension away. CC needs to die, for real. Caribou is reaping what he sowed in the cover which is great.

Good chapter, not great.

Last edited by Dagoro; 11-07-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Dagoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:45 AM   #3
apacolypz
ANBU

apacolypz is on a distinguished road

meh.................who the fuck cares about Mocha.....for fuck sakes! Anyway...bring it on Luffy...beat CC's ass like your last name was Obama.
apacolypz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:50 AM   #4
Pritha
Chuunin

Pritha is on a distinguished road

ya and no op next week
Pritha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Tango
Academy Student

Tango is an unknown quantity at this point

Mangapanda not working?
Works fine here. Posted exactly like last week's chapter.

Last edited by Tango; 11-07-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by apacolypz View Post
meh.................who the fuck cares about Mocha.....for fuck sakes!
I care more about Mocha than all the people present in the current Naruto fight because at least her characterization isn't a fucking joke.

That said, I agree with Dagoro that this chapter could use more subtlety to intensify its emotional aspect, but I'm satisfied with it and I'm rotting even more for CC vs Chopper. Make it happen, Oda!

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Dagoro
The surgeon of death

Dagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to all

I enjoy this aspect of OP. Oda actually bothers to give the minor players a face so when something happens it doesn't feel like a cheap attempt at wanting sympathy. Besides I don't need constant action to enjoy something.

PS: Moccha/Kid Nami > teen Obito when it comes to maturity.

Last edited by Dagoro; 11-07-2012 at 09:07 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dagoro For This Useful Post:
Gakure (11-08-2012), Numinous (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
apacolypz
ANBU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
I care more about Mocha than all the people present in the current Naruto fight because at least her characterization isn't a fucking joke.

That said, I agree with Dagoro that this chapter could use more subtlety to intensify its emotional aspect, but I'm satisfied with it and I'm rotting even more for CC vs Chopper. Make it happen, Oda!
Good for you buddy!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Numinous

Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

@ Dagoro I think that comparison made me sick. Joking.

But it's not even an issue of characterization or action vs plot, the primordial issue is the payoff to what is being built. Moccha's payoff matched her plot so far and it was paced correctly so it would hook the readers' attention correctly, thus being a decently written character. Her status as a minor character isn't relevant to issue, because Oda has been consistent with his characters from the bottom to the top regarding payoffs.
Kishimoto, on the other hand, pretty much fed the pig with so much hype that, instead of tons of bacon, the pig just shitted on him. Obito's character and the reveal of Tobi, would make more sense much earlier in the manga, on the late 200's-early 300's, when the plot built around him was proportional to what became the payoff. Adding 300 more chapters on Obito simply made it go from proportional to a tasteless joke and Kishi simply didn't know how the handle the shitstorm incoming his way, so the justification to the asshatery was as bad as the asshatery itself.

But enough of that travesty, back to OP. Since I did not comment last week, I'll do it now: I hope there's more development for Monet (although I'm fairly certain there'll be, knowing Oda). Her characterization did not say fighter to me, so I'm not surprised in the least by Zoro slamming her by a large margin.

@apocalypz: not sure if sarcastic or not. If you are... bitch, please, don't belittle Moccha just because she's a minor character.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,597 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

I actually enjoyed this a lot more than the rest seem to. Moccha needed to be given a bit more personality before this, but solid motivation there. I think it may lose impact because I think we all believe Moccha will be saved. It'd be better if she doesn't and Chopper goes nuts/has to deal with guilt. But then, it's a manga where the last major sacrifice apparently wasn't a sacrifice.

You know to what I speak.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Numinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACt View Post
But then, it's a manga where the last major sacrifice apparently wasn't a sacrifice.

You know to what I speak.
It's your fault to not take "Okamas never die!" warning seriously!

Old 11-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
Dagoro
The surgeon of death

The MS translation is out, and I have to say the dialog change made the Mocha/Chopper scenes a lot more sad.

http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/62428538/4
Old 11-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kluang For This Useful Post:
uzumakinagato (11-08-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #14
Pritha
Chuunin

Pritha is on a distinguished road

i know i am repeating myself but can some one ans me this. Did luffy's weakness (turning into a child) after using gear third dispelled after time skip?
Pritha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #15
apacolypz
ANBU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
@ Dagoro I think that comparison made me sick. Joking.

But it's not even an issue of characterization or action vs plot, the primordial issue is the payoff to what is being built. Moccha's payoff matched her plot so far and it was paced correctly so it would hook the readers' attention correctly, thus being a decently written character. Her status as a minor character isn't relevant to issue, because Oda has been consistent with his characters from the bottom to the top regarding payoffs.
Kishimoto, on the other hand, pretty much fed the pig with so much hype that, instead of tons of bacon, the pig just shitted on him. Obito's character and the reveal of Tobi, would make more sense much earlier in the manga, on the late 200's-early 300's, when the plot built around him was proportional to what became the payoff. Adding 300 more chapters on Obito simply made it go from proportional to a tasteless joke and Kishi simply didn't know how the handle the shitstorm incoming his way, so the justification to the asshatery was as bad as the asshatery itself.

But enough of that travesty, back to OP. Since I did not comment last week, I'll do it now: I hope there's more development for Monet (although I'm fairly certain there'll be, knowing Oda). Her characterization did not say fighter to me, so I'm not surprised in the least by Zoro slamming her by a large margin.

@apocalypz: not sure if sarcastic or not. If you are... bitch, please, don't belittle Moccha just because she's a minor character.

No bitch the chapter was MEH to me..that is my own opinion don't be a bitch and target others because you feel Mocha is an outstanding source of entertainment.