The Longest Thread Ever v28 - Page 1053 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > The Trashbin > Spam Zone

Spam Zone Come here to post anything that doesnt fit into the rest of the forum topics.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #15781
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Re: The Longest Thread Ever v28

Yeah, we definitely have partisanship as well, but I think having more than two parties helps to lessen the effects of it. Ideally I would like to see parties done away with entirely or at least have less "you're in this party, so you have to vote this way." You can't have a real debate when there is force allegiance to a party.

I'd also like to see social media start reducing spending on campaigning. I know this would kind of fuck over old people, but I'd like to see just a single website as a database of candidates. You find your constituency, and it gives you a list of the candidates, information about them, links to their personal website or YouTube account or whatever. The database site could be the only government funded part of campaigning, and the candidates could just use freely available tools to express their platform and ideas.

And yes, the Senate is completely useless and should be abolished.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
ACt (11-09-2012), Miburo (11-09-2012), Numinous (11-09-2012), UchihaTaijiya (11-09-2012)

Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #15782
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Oh yeah, party lines bug the crap out of me especially on issues that you know the party is split on. The Ominbus Budget bills are also a terrible terrible mar on our democracy. Put forth by a guy who complained about them back in the day.

Bloody politicians.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Mal (11-12-2012), Miburo (11-09-2012), UchihaTaijiya (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #15783
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we can't compromise with people about a lot of things. I don't think we should be looking to compromise with people who want to deny people rights and freedoms. Republican social positions are horrible and should be completely abandoned. Those people really, seriously, need to just stop that shit. There is no middle ground there.

Agree that the obstructionists in congress need to fuck off too.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
Mal (11-12-2012), Numinous (11-09-2012), T9F (11-09-2012), UchihaTaijiya (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #15784
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

@ Mibs: If the US started using alternative vote, proportional representation and incentives to bipartisan fragmentation, I think the theocratic loonies of the Republican party would be absent from any relvant seat of power.

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
Mal (11-12-2012), Miburo (11-09-2012), Tabris (11-09-2012), UchihaTaijiya (11-09-2012), Vanity (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #15785
Tabris
Sexy Lady

Thanked 4,329 Times in 1,961 Posts
Tabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really nice

If i wasn't set on marrying doug i would DEFINITELY marry Numinous
I think the Alternative Vote system would work much better. pretty much every where...

Do you know what's great? knowing about Electoral systems and nothing about politics. I lead a happy ignorant life, it's a very simple way to live. (except the ridings in my town, i know shit about that...)
I don't know anything about politics so i make a point of not complaining about most of it. The only thing i do know about is different electoral systems, because i actually really enjoy learning about that stuff.

Onto what's really important:

HEY GUYS! GUESS WHAT!?
My Princess Rosalina costume got third place in the anime division (no game division this year) of the Central Canada Comic Con Cosplay Contest. (MORE C's! C's for everyone!)
When the Con finally posts the gosh darn pictures of the contestants, i will post pictures.
gosh darn it they are slow.

Last edited by Tabris; 11-09-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tabris For This Useful Post:
Darth-Nero (11-09-2012), Jaxon (11-09-2012), Mal (11-12-2012), Miburo (11-09-2012), Numinous (11-09-2012), TheBaron (11-10-2012), UchihaTaijiya (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #15786
Numinous

Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
If i wasn't set on marrying doug i would DEFINITELY marry Numinous

If only I wasn't committed...

To be honest, I've been far more into politics and economics ever since Troika slapped us and the goddamn government is both stupid and stubborn to the max. It's rather sad when someone like me who never took economics, not even in high school, comes up with a plan far better than the travesty that is 2013's national budget.

It's funny in a way in that US politics are shitty due to the system and reluctance of changing it, while Portugal has an awesome political system and politics are even shittier because 99% of politicians are beyond corrupt and no outer entity has the balls to unleash the Interpol in our politicians like Iceland did.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
Mal (11-12-2012), Miburo (11-09-2012), Tabris (11-10-2012), UchihaTaijiya (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #15787
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACt View Post
We even have a Senate (which in our system is a group of individuals who are chosen by the ruling Government to serve pretty much as long as they want and whose job is to sit on money wasting committees and ratify things the House of Commons want passed).
The only difference between this description of the Canadian Senate and the US Senate is how the officials are selected.

Edit: As far as the US economy is concerned, I think the biggest thing that needs to be done is reroute a chunk of the funds aimed at the military (nothing against our soldiers, I'm of the mindset that we don't need to have a military presence in every damn country on the planet, only a military presence that tells other countries to not fuck with us) towards things like cleaner fuel sources, education, and the space program.

Last edited by kael03; 11-09-2012 at 03:59 PM.
kael03 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
Mal (11-12-2012), Miburo (11-09-2012), Tabris (11-10-2012), UchihaTaijiya (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #15788
Vanity
Succumb

Thanked 5,991 Times in 2,240 Posts
Vanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
It's funny in a way in that US politics are shitty due to the system and reluctance of changing it
It's because Madison was crazy afraid of mass-control, along with the ability of the government to do too much to suppress the people. Our system is so fragmented because it forces cohesion to make change, which is what he wanted: a slow moving process so that it would be difficult for both the people, and officials, to exploit it--checks and balances, and such.

Also, I agree with this:
Quote:
If the US started using alternative vote, proportional representation and incentives to bipartisan fragmentation, I think the theocratic loonies of the Republican party would be absent from any relevant seat of power.
As much as I think all the crazies will herd together to attain a decent percentage in a PR-house system, I also think that the majority of voters aren't really far right or far left, but rather dangle somewhere close to the middle, having leanings one way or the other. A PR system would ease the retarded "us vs them" battle that bipartisanship cultivates, and I think it would make for a smoother election process, especially if officials are presented for the party rather than elected. This would cut down on the fucking waste of money in campaigning. PACs, Super PACs, along with bundling, and soft money are easily some of the most corrupt things our election process has spawned.
Speak to me.
Why do you never speak?
Speak.
What are you thinking of?
What thinking?
What?

I never know what you are thinking.
Think.
Vanity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vanity For This Useful Post:
Mal (11-12-2012), Miburo (11-09-2012), Numinous (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #15789
Numinous

Quote:
It's because Madison was crazy afraid of mass-control, along with the ability of the government to do too much to suppress the people. Our system is so fragmented because it forces cohesion to make change, which is what he wanted: a slow moving process so that it would be difficult for both the people, and officials, to exploit it--checks and balances, and such.
Too bad parties thrived on the fragmentation rather than the attempt of cohesion.

Quote:
As much as I think all the crazies will herd together to attain a decent percentage in a PR-house system, I also think that the majority of voters aren't really far right or far left, but rather dangle somewhere close to the middle, having leanings one way or the other.
Well, both are somewhat correct. I'd say 80% of people are centrists or moderates, which leaves room for extremists to vote on a middle-of-the-road party and ensure seats for them, but the thing is I think the true crazies make up for 1% in a given extremity of the wings, so, if they voted on a party that truly expressed their convictions, they'd get at tops 1 seat on the government in some lousy department no one gives a shit about because the other parties wouldn't let that seat be of any relevancy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
Miburo (11-09-2012), Vanity (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #15790
Vanity
Succumb

Thanked 5,991 Times in 2,240 Posts
Vanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
Too bad parties thrived on the fragmentation rather than the attempt of cohesion.

Well, both are somewhat correct. I'd say 80% of people are centrists or moderates, which leaves room for extremists to vote on a middle-of-the-road party and ensure seats for them, but the thing is I think the true crazies make up for 1% in a given extremity of the wings, so, if they voted on a party that truly expressed their convictions, they'd get at tops 1 seat on the government in some lousy department no one gives a shit about because the other parties wouldn't let that seat be of any relevancy.
I'm also trying to take into account those that might vote for a representative due to misinformation. While voting for a party happens a lot now because it's the "lesser evil," it's still a problem that people vote for one because "Well, they agree with me on a few points, so that makes them good, right?" This might happen while either completely ignoring, or just not being fully informed of the full scope of a representatives stance. This happens frequently because people aren't encouraged to fully inform themselves. This isn't always the case, but for one reason or another, while the ability to vote for another might be an option [that would properly represent them], they may not know that. Naw'meen? It might not be enough to have a massive seat [like 25%], but it's still enough.
Speak to me.
Why do you never speak?
Speak.
What are you thinking of?
What thinking?
What?

I never know what you are thinking.
Think.
Vanity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vanity For This Useful Post:
Miburo (11-09-2012), Numinous (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #15791
Numinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
I'm also trying to take into account those that might vote for a representative due to misinformation. While voting for a party happens a lot now because it's the "lesser evil," it's still a problem that people vote for one because "Well, they agree with me on a few points, so that makes them good, right?" This might happen while either completely ignoring, or just not being fully informed of the full scope of a representatives stance. This happens frequently because people aren't encouraged to fully inform themselves. This isn't always the case, but for one reason or another, while the ability to vote for another might be an option [that would properly represent them], they may not know that. Naw'meen? It might not be enough to have a massive seat [like 25%], but it's still enough.
That now is a matter of both the campaigns and the media. I don't know if this happens in the US, but here our public service channel is obliged to air all parties' campaign video, which in turn are obliged to show all their ideologies and propositions for government. That's like 1 hour on prime time every day of campaign time that is divided wisely between 20 parties so everyone has enough time to say their piece. Also, coverage of the campaigns themselves is done without bias in the public service channel, although private channels tend to only focus on the 5 main parties.

That's pretty much it, the parties have to make sure their point gets across with decent campaigns and that the media represents them fairly. Of course, considering Fox News exists, I know that's a very steep mountain to climb.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
Miburo (11-09-2012), Vanity (11-09-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #15792
Eternal Solitude
Traveler
Tetris Champion, Asteroids Champion

Eternal Solitude is on a distinguished road

Mirror, mirror on the wall
Who's the fairest of them all?
The Good, the Bad, the Ugly or the Beautiful

I'm bullet proof, nothing to loose.
Fire away, fire away.

Eternal Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #15793
Demi-God
BEST

Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,312 Posts
Demi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to all

Demi-God is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Demi-God For This Useful Post:
Eternal Solitude (11-10-2012), kluang (11-10-2012), Mal (11-12-2012), manta (11-12-2012), OG (11-11-2012), T9F (11-10-2012), Tabris (11-10-2012), TheBaron (11-10-2012), Tzu Men (11-10-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #15794
Eternal Solitude
Traveler
Tetris Champion, Asteroids Champion

Eternal Solitude is on a distinguished road

^ cool

I'm bullet proof, nothing to loose.
Fire away, fire away.

Eternal Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #15795
Tzu Men
hostis humani generis

Thanked 2,697 Times in 854 Posts
Tzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi-God View Post

I think I've already clarified my opinion.
Tzu Men is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tzu Men For This Useful Post:
Demi-God (11-10-2012), TheBaron (11-10-2012)