Citizens from 15 states have filed petitions to secede from the United States - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold
Citizens from 15 states have filed petitions to secede from the United States

http://www.examiner.com/article/15-s...nited-states-1

Quote:
As of Saturday November 10, 2012, 15 States have petitioned the Obama Administration for withdrawal from the United States of America in order to create its own government.

States following this action include: Louisiana, Texas, Montana, North Dakota, Indiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, North Carolina, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, New Jersey, Colorado, Oregon and New York. These States have requested that the Obama Administration grant a peaceful withdrawal from the United States.

These citizen generated petitions were filed just days after the 2012 presidential election.

Louisiana was the first State to file a petition a day after the election by a Michael E. from Slidell, Louisiana. Texas was the next State to follow by a Micah H. from Arlington, Texas.

The government allows one month from the day the petition is submitted to obtain 25,000 signatures in order for the Obama administration to consider the request.

The Texas petition reads as follows:

The US continues to suffer economic difficulties stemming from the federal government’s neglect to reform domestic and foreign spending. The citizens of the US suffer from blatant abuses of their rights such as the NDAA, the TSA, etc. Given that the state of Texas maintains a balanced budget and is the 15th largest economy in the world, it is practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union, and to do so would protect it’s citizens’ standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers which are no longer being reflected by the federal government.

As of 12:46 am, Sunday, signatures obtained by Louisiana, 7,358; Texas, 3,771; Florida, 636; Georgia, 475; Alabama, 834; North Carolina, 792; Kentucky, 467; Mississippi, 475; Indiana, 449; North Dakota, 162; Montana, 440; Colorado, 324; Oregon, 328; New Jersey, 301 and New York, 169. Many more States are expected to follow.

A petition is not searchable at whitehouse.gov until 150 signatures have been obtained. It is the originator's responsibility to obtain these signatures.
My suggestion. Keep new York and Florida. get rid of the others

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Citizens from 15 states have filed petitions to secede from the United States

They can try, it won't happen.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
jericho Uzimaki (11-20-2012), Numinous (11-12-2012), TheBaron (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Re: Citizens from 15 states have filed petitions to secede from the United States

Only morons would want to secede a country in a time of financial turmoil. The chances of ending up poorer if not broke are too high for any reasonable person wanting to secede.

Also, so what if Texas would be the 15th largest economy in the world? Italy is the 8th and Spain the 12th and that doesn't help their situation in the least and they at least have the Euro. Texas would need a new currency that could be similar to the dollar at the start but then things like inflation, exports/imports balance and the fact that stock exchange markets are as fickle as a teenager could make or break Texas' economy. If I were Texas, I'd wait for global economy to get back on its feet before even thinking of secession.

If you're wandering why I only talk about Texas it's because it's the only state with any chance of actually seceding. All the other states would only have any chance if Texas seceded first.

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
jericho Uzimaki (11-20-2012), Mal (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Re: Citizens from 15 states have filed petitions to secede from the United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
Only morons would want to secede a country in a time of financial turmoil...
Yeah... we call them Quebecers.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Mal (11-12-2012), Numinous (11-12-2012), stubborn_d0nkey (11-14-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
manta
No Leaf Clover

Thanked 1,356 Times in 702 Posts
manta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enough

Confederates... lol

manta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manta For This Useful Post:
jericho Uzimaki (11-20-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Thanked 1,248 Times in 521 Posts
jekyl_hyde is on a distinguished roadjekyl_hyde is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluang View Post
http://www.examiner.com/article/15-s...nited-states-1

My suggestion. Keep new York and Florida. get rid of the others

That's actually a really bad idea kluang. If you look at it economically, and which states contribute to the GDP through manufacturing means and not through the financial sector (investing and big banks), you would want to keep the rest of the states and get rid of New York and Florida.

Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Georiga, Alabama, and Kentucky have the largest non-union workforces in the manufacturing sector (95% of all of your foreign car manufacturers are located in these states as well as their suppliers).

I've always heard rumors about the Cascadia states (including the northern part of Idaho and part of Montana) threatening to file petition to secede. What baffles me is that New Jersey and New York are in this list. What doesn't surprise me is that this happens after every election. I remember during 2004 after the Bush/Kerry election, there were petitions going through the colleges in MS to have the state secede by the local Democrat student groups. Don't know to which states this notion expanded to, but it's not surprising.
jekyl_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Reading more... they need 25,000 signatures for the petition to be looked at by the government. The population of Texas is 25 and half million. So less than 0.1% of the population can try and push for a decision on separating from the nation? That seems... wrong.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Mal (11-12-2012), T9F (11-13-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...nment/BmdWCP8B

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Numinous

Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
That's actually a really bad idea kluang. If you look at it economically, and which states contribute to the GDP through manufacturing means and not through the financial sector (investing and big banks), you would want to keep the rest of the states and get rid of New York and Florida.

Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Georiga, Alabama, and Kentucky have the largest non-union workforces in the manufacturing sector (95% of all of your foreign car manufacturers are located in these states as well as their suppliers)
Hold your horses there, j_h, it's not because they have a good labor power than it'll suddenly make those states more desirable for the US than the others. Let's take this case by case.

Alabama:
  • Public debt of 60.4 billions
  • Tax net revenue of -23.7 billions
  • GDP of 174.4 billions
Colorado:
  • Public debt of 80.4 billions
  • Tax net revenue of +10.5 billions
  • GDP of 259.7 billions
Florida:
  • Public debt of 139.1 billions
  • Tax net revenue of -10.6 billions
  • GDP of 754.0 billions
Georgia:
  • Public debt of 97.5 billions
  • Tax net revenue of +4.1 billions
  • GDP of 403.1 billions
Indiana:
  • Public debt of 38.7 billions
  • Tax net revenue of -4.6 billions
  • GDP of 267.6 billions
Kentucky:
  • Public debt of 63.2 billions
  • Tax net revenue of -12.8 billions
  • GDP of 161.4 billions
Louisiana:
  • Public debt of 63.0 billions
  • Tax net revenue of -0.9 billions
  • GDP of 213.6 billions
Mississippi:
  • Public debt of 38.2 billions
  • Tax net revenue of -19.8 billions
  • GDP of 98.9 billions
Montana:
  • Public debt of 9.5 billions
  • Tax net revenue of -4.0 billions
  • GDP of 37.2 billions
New Jersey:
  • Public debt of 281.5 billions
  • Tax net revenue of +57.8 billions
  • GDP of 497.0 billions
New York:
  • Public debt of 305.3 billions
  • Tax net revenue of +86.8 billions
  • GDP of 1156.5 billions
North Carolina:
  • Public debt of 97.4 billions
  • Tax net revenue of +10.0 billions
  • GDP of 407.4 billions
North Dakota:
  • Public debt of 6.3 billions
  • Tax net revenue of -3.1 billions
  • GDP of 33.4 billions
Oregon:
  • Public debt of 58.0 billions
  • Tax net revenue of -1.8 billions
  • GDP of 168.9 billions
Texas:
  • Public debt of 282.6 billions
  • Tax net revenue of 53.4 billions
  • GDP of 1307.4 billions
If the US needed to get rid of states to balance finances, Alabama, Kentucky and Mississippi would be on the top of the list, while New York, North Carolina and Texas would be on the bottom.

Quote:
What doesn't surprise me is that this happens after every election. I remember during 2004 after the Bush/Kerry election, there were petitions going through the colleges in MS to have the state secede by the local Democrat student groups. Don't know to which states this notion expanded to, but it's not surprising.

Considering secession petitions are barking since the Civil War, I'm not surprised either.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
kael03 (11-12-2012), Mal (11-12-2012), Playa (11-13-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Quote:
Hold your horses there, j_h, it's not because they have a good labor power than it'll suddenly make those states more desirable for the US than the others.
I understand what you're saying about the different states and their related debts and the contributions they make to the GDP. Take this into acct. Two of the three states you mentioned are the hardest hit states during the hurricane seasons, which over 75% of that debt comes from. Also, the majority of each state's contribution to the national GDP is not based on the financial sector nor real estate. It comes from industry, which is what put the U.S.A. as the number 1 economy way back when, and is the leading reason why China is about to overtake the U.S.A., if they haven't already.

Without going into a diatribe about the fallacies of the great country that I live in and am proud to be a citizen in, our leaders (not just the political ones) have decided to place the vast majority of their eggs into the information and intelligence proprieties. There is still a small sector of industry, hugely comprised of the auto, air, and defense sectors. Meanwhile, China has industry as being a huge factor of it's GDP, while India has a high information and intellgence sector, but also has an outlandish (customer) service sector. I also know that India has a growing industry sector, but to my knowledge, it is nowhere near the level of China or the U.S.

@ACt
Also, something is not adding up about that list. I just scrolled up and down and noticed that all of the states listed were on the same petition. The majority of the names that I actually read (not glanced at) where from TX, but I did notice that a few were from Alabama and Louisiana that I actually read.

This looks like a load of "crock" to put it nicely.

Last edited by jekyl_hyde; 11-12-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
Numinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyl_hyde View Post
I understand what you're saying about the different states and their related debts and the contributions they make to the GDP. Take this into acct. Two of the three states you mentioned are the hardest hit states during the hurricane seasons, which over 75% of that debt comes from.
First of all, blaming the hurricane season for the debt is skewed at best considering the three less desirable states I mentioned have debts related to hurricanes which represent 3% of Alabama's debt, 9% of Kentucky's and 8% of Mississippi's. The real debt from those states come from pensions (72% of Alabama's, 62% of Kentucky's and 56% of Mississippi's). You could say some of that pension debt is a byproduct of the hurricanes, but it's nigh impossible to trace the exact effect.

Second, how is the source of debt of any relevancy when we're dealing with hard, cold numbers? No matter the source, the reality is that Alabama, Kentucky and Mississippi are the least desirable of the states wanting to secede and would probably fuck themselves if they were successful.

Quote:
Also, the majority of each state's contribution to the national GDP is not based on the financial sector nor real estate. It comes from industry, which is what put the U.S.A. as the number 1 economy way back when, and is the leading reason why China is about to overtake the U.S.A., if they haven't already.
Sorry if this question sounds similar to the previous, but how's the source of GDP of any relevancy to what's being said? Again with actual facts, Alabama, Kentucky and Mississippi represent 2.99% of the US' GDP while Florida and New York, states you said would be preferable to kick off, represent 12.88% of the national GDP.

Quote:
Without going into a diatribe about the fallacies of the great country that I live in and am proud to be a citizen in, our leaders (not just the political ones) have decided to place the vast majority of their eggs into the information and intelligence proprieties. There is still a small sector of industry, hugely comprised of the auto, air, and defense sectors. Meanwhile, China has industry as being a huge factor of it's GDP, while India has a high information and intellgence sector, but also has an outlandish (customer) service sector. I also know that India has a growing industry sector, but to my knowledge, it is nowhere near the level of China or the U.S.
Actually, US' economy slip and China's rise is NOT about which sector is being favored in the GDP, is from what measures the governments made. 40% of China's GDP comes from public investments and 45% from savings vs the US' 15% and 12% respectively. India also has similar figures to China, 36% on investments and 33% on savings.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
kael03 (11-12-2012), Playa (11-13-2012), stubborn_d0nkey (11-14-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

@Num
I started to respond, and realized that my response was over the allotted 10,000 characters, so I'm simply going to say this. The source of the debts is relevant, because it shows which states do a better job of handling their budgets.

As far as the GDP is concerned, it pertains to tangibleness. The manufacturing sector is tangible to the layman (in a democratic, capitalistic state), even if it is only minuscale. Real estate is tangible usually to the uber-rich. Meanwhile, intellectual property is never tangible.

Look at Greece, and then look at the U.S. In the past, real estate was a huge factor with the U.S.'s GDP. It has been decreasing ever since the housing bubble burst. Why? During the housing bubble, real estate became tangible to the layman. So much so, that many laymen over-exerted themselves and bought 2nd homes and investment properties. Once the housing bubble popped, that tangibleness was gone, and those that over-exerted themselves... well, we all know how they fared.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The source of the debts is relevant, because it shows which states do a better job of handling their budgets.
Then Michigan should be one of the first states to go. We are horrible at budget balancing to the point the state government actually shut the state down for a day.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
Playa (11-13-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
Numinous

Quote:
@Num
I started to respond, and realized that my response was over the allotted 10,000 characters, so I'm simply going to say this. The source of the debts is relevant, because it shows which states do a better job of handling their budgets.
And that includes preventive measures against natural disasters. It may sound cold-hearted, but crying over debt due to natural disasters isn't above crying for any other kind of debt, considering Japan is a prime example of a country who does proper prevention and very rarely needs help to patch things up. On the other hand, states like Alabama and Mississippi could do WAY better at hurricane damage prevention, like promoting better house foundations, city planning to better manage flood damage, make state-wise plans to make people live in the interior while having a job in the coastline by making highroads and public transportation more dynamic, among many other possible measures. So yes, even if the debt was from natural disasters, it could be managed in the same manner other states manage traffic jams.

Quote:
As far as the GDP is concerned, it pertains to tangibleness. The manufacturing sector is tangible to the layman (in a democratic, capitalistic state), even if it is only minuscale. Real estate is tangible usually to the uber-rich. Meanwhile, intellectual property is never tangible.
You sound like only industry, real estate and intelligence exist. What about agriculture, tourism, restaurants and local commerce, are they not tangible to the layman? And they do not belong to the industry sector, but to the agriculture and services sectors. Again, the problem with the US isn't in what sector it's betting on, it's the lack of significant investment and savings by the government.

Quote:
Look at Greece, and then look at the U.S. In the past, real estate was a huge factor with the U.S.'s GDP. It has been decreasing ever since the housing bubble burst. Why? During the housing bubble, real estate became tangible to the layman. So much so, that many laymen over-exerted themselves and bought 2nd homes and investment properties. Once the housing bubble popped, that tangibleness was gone, and those that over-exerted themselves... well, we all know how they fared.
While that's true, the problem is bigger than that: the US relies far too much on the consumption revenue (30% vs China's 15%). And the stock markets are living proof of how stable the consumption revenue is, which is not much. I'm not saying that the US should penalize their capitalist habits, only that it should make sure that more stable incomes for GDP are prioritized.

The Following User Says Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
Playa (11-13-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Quote:
And that includes preventive measures against natural disasters. It may sound cold-hearted, but crying over debt due to natural disasters isn't above crying for any other kind of debt, considering Japan is a prime example of a country who does proper prevention and very rarely needs help to patch things up. On the other hand, states like Alabama and Mississippi could do WAY better at hurricane damage prevention, like promoting better house foundations, city planning to better manage flood damage, make state-wise plans to make people live in the interior while having a job in the coastline by making highroads and public transportation more dynamic, among many other possible measures. So yes, even if the debt was from natural disasters, it could be managed in the same manner other states manage traffic jams.
It's not cold-hearted at all. However relating traffic jams to natural disasters as such is a bit inept. In a perfect world, I know of several civil engineers that have met with local and state gov't officials in both LA and MS about the measures that you hinted at as far as possible preventive measures for hurricanes go. The big problem there is insurance and costs. A small (land-wise) country like Japan is able to afford those measures because of their dense population. States like AL, LA, and MS are not that heavily populated, not even on the coast.

Quote:
You sound like only industry, real estate and intelligence exist. What about agriculture, tourism, restaurants and local commerce, are they not tangible to the layman? And they do not belong to the industry sector, but to the agriculture and services sectors. Again, the problem with the US isn't in what sector it's betting on, it's the lack of significant investment and savings by the government.
These factors were a huge part of my response, which in summing it up... somewhere between the Korean and Vietnam wars, the U.S. stopped relying so heavily on agriculture as an export, which is what made ag such a viable commodity towards the GDP before then. I'm guessing that just like manufacturing, cheaper labor is where the farms went. Tourism has been on the decline prior to 9/11 for obvious reasons as well as economic reasons (restaurants and local commerce fall under tourism in the tax code).

Quote:
While that's true, the problem is bigger than that: the US relies far too much on the consumption revenue (30% vs China's 15%). And the stock markets are living proof of how stable the consumption revenue is, which is not much. I'm not saying that the US should penalize their capitalist habits, only that it should make sure that more stable incomes for GDP are prioritized.
Completely agree on the bolded. It's safe money. Among investors, during the time leading up to the TARP funds, many investors were looking to close out their low risk investments and put it in low-return savings and CDs (I worked for a military bank). They were leaving returns of 4-6% to accounts that got only 2% APY, just to eliminate the risk. I remember one guy (retired colonel... colonels are always the worst attitude guys) cussing me out because of the low interest rate, but when I told him there was no way he would lose any money, he finally shut up. The guy opened up about 20 CDs that day totaling almost 1.5 million.

Anyways, my point is, tangibleness has a strong correlation to stability. Tourism is tangible, but not as strong as manufacturing and distribution.

And also, to clear this up for anyone, intellectual property has proven to be wonderful and magnificent on the micro level when in regards to a nation's GDP. Not so much on the macro level.