One piece 690 - Page 3 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Anime & Manga > One Piece Series > One Piece Manga

One Piece Manga Talk about the manga series One Piece here! Remember, this is manga only. No anime!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #31
Gamabunta
Chuunin

Gamabunta will become famous soon enoughGamabunta will become famous soon enough
Re: One piece 690

I think Vergo should have DF power unless he is just a daft haki dude.
Gamabunta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #32
apacolypz
ANBU

apacolypz is on a distinguished road

http://kotaku.com/5962747/its-like-o...rton/gallery/1

I found this to be a little interesting....This is one reason why I appreciate OP
apacolypz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #33
Dagoro
The surgeon of death

Thanked 7,274 Times in 2,924 Posts
Dagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to all

First time I've seen an article from that site and most definitely the last. The author is a moron, the site he referenced is filled with retards and he got a thorough ass kicking in the comment section.

Oda doesn't hide the fact that he is a huge fan of western movies, actors and musicians. He pays homage to them here and there, shit just recently in a SBS he said that Sanji was inspired by Steve Buscemi.

Last edited by Dagoro; 11-30-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Dagoro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dagoro For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (11-30-2012), Numinous (11-30-2012), Pritha (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 03:34 AM   #34
apacolypz
ANBU

apacolypz is on a distinguished road

I agree with you but the last line is one of the main reasons I shared it..If I didn't see these picture comparisons I would never have been aware of the similarities...also it makes me appreciate his work even more so.

Edit: Good thing Sanji was inspired by the youthful Steve..if he was inspired by the current face of Steve Buscemi.....he would never get laid....

Last edited by apacolypz; 11-30-2012 at 03:35 AM.
apacolypz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #35
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

By making absolute no mention of Franky being inspired by Ace Ventura, you know the author of that piece is a moron. And who says Franky, says myriads of characters that are shout-outs to Western fiction.

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #36
Gakure
JESUS LOVES YOU

Thanked 1,022 Times in 582 Posts
Gakure will become famous soon enoughGakure will become famous soon enough

Law said Vergo is Dfla's right hand man. Judging by his strength, we can conclude that Dfla crew ain't all that powerful (apart from Dfla himself). Luffy did take down 2 Shichibukais pre time-skip, and I'm guessing he can take all down now except Mihawk. This means we will still have to wait till BigMan fight to actually see the true extent to which the SH strength has risen.

Audio Text More

SALVATION PRAYER
O Lord God, I come to You in the Name of Jesus Christ. Your Word says, "...whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Acts 2:21). I ask Jesus to come into my heart to be the Lord of my life. I receive eternal life into my spirit and according to Romans 10:9, "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved," I declare that I am saved; I am born-again; I am a child of God! I now have Christ dwelling in me, and greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world (1 John 4:4)! I now walk in the consciousness of my new life in Christ Jesus. Hallelujah!"

BEST DECISION EVER!!!

Jesus Loves You!!! He Always Has. He Always WIll
Gakure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #37
Dagoro
The surgeon of death

Dagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to all

Quote:
Law said Vergo is Dfla's right hand man. Judging by his strength, we can conclude that Dfla crew ain't all that powerful (apart from Dfla himself).
Right hand man doesn't necessarily means Vergo was his strongest subordinate. Vergo was essential to Dfla's underground operations due to his position in the navy, losing him is a huge blow to his black market empire.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #38
Gakure
JESUS LOVES YOU

Thanked 1,022 Times in 582 Posts
Gakure will become famous soon enoughGakure will become famous soon enough

^ I dig. and by that Dfla shd be more involved in the fight now. I really wanna know what his abilities are.

Audio Text More

SALVATION PRAYER
O Lord God, I come to You in the Name of Jesus Christ. Your Word says, "...whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Acts 2:21). I ask Jesus to come into my heart to be the Lord of my life. I receive eternal life into my spirit and according to Romans 10:9, "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved," I declare that I am saved; I am born-again; I am a child of God! I now have Christ dwelling in me, and greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world (1 John 4:4)! I now walk in the consciousness of my new life in Christ Jesus. Hallelujah!"

BEST DECISION EVER!!!

Jesus Loves You!!! He Always Has. He Always WIll

Last edited by Gakure; 11-30-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Gakure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #39
Sagensyg
o/a Lawr

Sagensyg is on a distinguished road

I wonder, if Law crumbles the black market does that make him an enemy of Kid's alliance?
Old 11-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #40
CrustaceaN
-

CrustaceaN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoro View Post
First time I've seen an article from that site and most definitely the last. The author is a moron, the site he referenced is filled with retards and he got a thorough ass kicking in the comment section.

Oda doesn't hide the fact that he is a huge fan of western movies, actors and musicians. He pays homage to them here and there, shit just recently in a SBS he said that Sanji was inspired by Steve Buscemi.

Check this out Dagoro
Quote:
Originally Posted by some dude
Oda himself stated that inspiration for the Pirate climate in One Piece was from Vicky the Little Viking.

Further more many characters, arcs and other things in One Piece are based on some real life Pirates or other famous persons, incident, novels etc. Some of them include -->

Bartholomew Roberts---> Bartholomew Kuma
Edward Teach aka Blackbeard ---> Marshall D. Teach aka Blackbeard
William Kidd and Eustace the Monk ---> Eustace Kidd
John Hawkins and Basil Ringrose ---> Basil Hawkins
Edward Low (and his surname is probably referring to the Battle of Trafalgar) ---> Trafalgar Law
Sir Francis Drake ---> X Drake
Anne Bonny --> Bonney
Chui-Apoo ---> Scratchman Apoo
Alphonse "Al" Capone ---> Capone
Jean Lafitte ---> Lafitte (Blackbeard Pirates)
Henry Morgan --> Captain Morgan
Samuel Burgess --> Jesus Burgess (Blackbeard Pirates)
Zheng Zhilong (translation in japan means Tei Shiryu) ---> Shiryu of the Rain (Blackbeard Pirates)
Francisco Pizzaro ---> Avalo Pizarro (Blackbeard Pirates)
Daft Punk --> Killer
Red Legs Greaves ---> Zeff
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer ---> Chopper
Samuel Bellamy ---> Bellamy
Michael Jackson ---> Jango
Jean Bart ---> Jean Bart (Was formerly a slave and then joined Heart Pirates)

*Van Augur (Blackbeard Pirates) --> Van Augur bears a number of similarities to the character Adolphus from Terry Gilliam's film "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen". Adolphus is one of the eponymous Baron's henchmen, and has incredible eyesight and amazing shooting skills, able to detach an apple from a tree about 900 miles away. Van Augur's hat, glasses, hair, cape and rifle all contribute to this resemblance.

*Enel is based on Eminem (most of you must be knowing), an artist that Oda is fond of.

*Donflamingo is based on Jean Michel Polnareff. For some reason this artist is popular in Japan .
http://www.vinylmaniaque.com/pochett...-polnareff.jpg

*Sentomaru is basically lifted from popular depictions of Kintaro.

* The three Admirals Kuzan (Aokiji), Sakazuki (Akainu), Borsilano (Kizaru) are basically based on Yusaku Matsuda, Bunta Sugawara and Kunie Tanaka, all real life famous Japanese actors.

*Hogback from Thriller Bark --> Hogback is based on the Doctor Moro, who turned to genetically experimenting of animals to humans and on Frankenstain. Both of them were betrayed by their creations.

*Thriller Bark --> Oda is influenced by Tim Burton and his films some convincing example are Nin Gyoro and Bao, the servants of Moria very reminiscent of Lock Stock and Barrel on the homonym movie Nightmare before Christmas.

Nightmare before Christmas: Lock Stock and Barrel

Thriller Bark:Nin Gyoro and Bao

*Oars --> The zombie giant Oz is based in Óðr, a god of Norse mythology.The name Óðr, which means "overwhelmed" is probably tied to the same root from which comes the name of the god Odin. In common with Oars is that, like all ancient gods of the vikings, he enjoyed fighting. The significance of his name, "overwhelmed" can indicate the shadow of Luffy who was inside.

*Mariejois and Château de Chambord In Chambrod located in France have a common appearance.

*Crocodile is a mix of John Travolta and Steven Segal, both of who have achieved fame playing the opposing roles of Gangster and Cop

*Nico Robin, who worked with Crocilde, is based on Uma Thurman's character Mia Wallace. Travolta and Thurman both worked together in Pulp Fiction.

*Brook is obviously Jack Skellington, but there are also three famed musicians contributing to his look: Jimi Hendrix (Clothes+Fro) + Slash (Hat) + Ozzy Osbourne (Glasses).

Hope you find this interesting and a nice source of information. Would love if anyone has some more influences to share.
I don't remember any mangaka not referencing their inspirations.
That dude that wrote that shitty article is just being a phag.

*Keyword - Inspiration
CrustaceaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #41
Buck09
S-Rank Mage

Buck09 is on a distinguished road

I was just thinking about the whole island slash.

Do you think it might be possible that Law just used his room and surrounded the whole island ? Using his haki would also allow him to cut Vergo and then he could just ove the buildings around due to being in his room.

I just think Vergo went down a little too fast. Plus it feels too early to be seeing this kinda feats, the whole island cutting. Dont get me wrong I would definately love to see it in the future but.
Simon: My bro is dead. He's gone! But he's there on my back, and here in my heart! He lives on as a part of me! If you're gonna dig, dig to the heavens! No matter what's in my way I won't stop!! Once I've dug through...it means that I've won! Just who the hell do you think I am? I'm Simon. I'm NOT my bro! I'M ME!! SIMON THE DIGGER!

Kamina: Your drill is the drill that will pierce the heavens!

(All quotes from one of my favourite Anime Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
Buck09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #42
Dagoro
The surgeon of death

Law did use room, right before Vergo charged. As for the power levels I've come around after the initial shock caused by Law's awesomeness. It makes sense as long as you don't put it against MF, because Oda himself said that MF was nothing but a side trip.

None of the top tiers fought seriously in that battle. WB did give it his all, but he was basically at death's door at that point and he still put on a good show. It is through BB that we will really see what the Old man was truly capable of which I'm willing to be will be insane.

Let's take Aokiji vs Akainu into account. These two changed the climate around their battle field which several km in diameter for years, the amount of energy required to pull something like that is ridiculous. The SN have risen to challenge that kind of power, so what Law did which is more than likely a high end feat for now makes sense. I won't be surprised if Luffy can do the same, we only saw him injured and under water.