This is Syria right now - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 11-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
This is Syria right now

No "news," just a video. Warning: YouTube has allowed this video despite its bloody content, so if you're squeamish you may not want to watch.

Any Arabic speakers able to translate some of what is said?
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (11-30-2012), Numinous (11-30-2012), Playa (11-30-2012)

Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

Thanked 4,134 Times in 1,402 Posts
LonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura about
Re: This is Syria right now

The UN needs to quit dragging its feet and actually deploy troops or provide arms and munitions to the freedom fighters. I know they're going to win in the end, but it's not a fair fight. While they have RPGs, AKs, and trucks and motorbikes, the military's using artillery, helicopters, tanks. If the bloodshed's going to end soon, then the UN needs to do more than denounce Syria's actions and impose sanctions on them.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Thanked 1,248 Times in 521 Posts
jekyl_hyde is on a distinguished roadjekyl_hyde is on a distinguished road

As far as "the battle" goes, I agree with you LonelyNinja, but I think you're crazy if you think the UN is going to come out, guns a blazin', and call for action against Syria. History proves the UN is nothing more than a bureaucratic money drain with no real power. Things don't happen until one or a couple of countries stand up and say enough with the crap, it's time to do something.
jekyl_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyl_hyde View Post
History proves the UN is nothing more than a bureaucratic money drain with no real power.
This history of yours is perhaps called the Wacky Guide to Historical Innacuracy? The UN may have many flaws, but that isn't certainly one of them.

That said, I do agree with LN on the issue. The UN should stop being so PC and stop these shameful events.

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Last edited by Numinous; 11-30-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (11-30-2012), kael03 (11-30-2012), Mal (12-01-2012), Playa (11-30-2012), Vanity (12-01-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

LonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
History proves the UN is nothing more than a bureaucratic money drain with no real power.
The Korean War would like to speak with you. The UN was heavily involved in that, and for the same reasons the UN should get involved now. But instead, we have China and Russia and other Middle Eastern nations cockblocking the UN.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

That's not a wacky guide. Look at how many countries contribute financially to the UN... then look at the events that have required international intervention, and look and see which entities acted first.

Depending on how you look at it, the U.S. has put their nose into others' businesses instead of waiting on the final decision from the U.N.

And LN... look back at history... the U.S. was involved in the Korean war long before the U.N. was. Debating on whether the U.S. should have been though... that's a different debate.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
And LN... look back at history... the U.S. was involved in the Korean war long before the U.N. was.
I suggest you look back at history. The U.N first became involved in Korea on June 25, 1950 (the same day North Korea invaded South Korea), when it passed the U.N. Security Counsel Resolution 82 which demanded that North Korea cease its invasion of South Korea. The U.S. and KPA forces didn't fight their first battle until the Battle of Osan, which started on July 5, 1950, a full 10 days after the Resolution passed. The U.N. also passed Resolution 83, which asked for members of the U.N. to send forces to aid South Korea, on June 27, 1950.

So it was, in fact, the U.N. that was involved with Korea before the U.S. Also, it wasn't a "long before" timeframe, there was 10 days between North Korea invading South Korea and the first fight between KPA forces and the U.S. military.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
Numinous (11-30-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael03 View Post
I suggest you look back at history. The U.N first became involved in Korea on June 25, 1950 (the same day North Korea invaded South Korea), when it passed the U.N. Security Counsel Resolution 82 which demanded that North Korea cease its invasion of South Korea. The U.S. and KPA forces didn't fight their first battle until the Battle of Osan, which started on July 5, 1950, a full 10 days after the Resolution passed. The U.N. also passed Resolution 83, which asked for members of the U.N. to send forces to aid South Korea, on June 27, 1950.

So it was, in fact, the U.N. that was involved with Korea before the U.S. Also, it wasn't a "long before" timeframe, there was 10 days between North Korea invading South Korea and the first fight between KPA forces and the U.S. military.
Funny how the U.S. occupied S. Korea during WWII and the Soviet Union occupied N. Korea after WWII. Many war scholars point to the Korean War being the beginning of the Cold War, because they state the Cold War actually started before the Korean War.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Funny how the U.S. occupied S. Korea during WWII and the Soviet Union occupied N. Korea after WWII. Many war scholars point to the Korean War being the beginning of the Cold War, because they state the Cold War actually started before the Korean War.
... what's this, I don't even.

How is a response to what kael said and your argument that the UN does nothing before some countries do?

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
Mal (12-01-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

Quote:
Depending on how you look at it, the U.S. has put their nose into others' businesses instead of waiting on the final decision from the U.N.
You're kidding, right? The US doesn't exactly have the most stellar record for interventionism in the Middle East. Afghanistan? Absolutely needed to happen. Iraq? What a waste of time, lives, and money. Egypt? It was the US's fault that Mubarak was there in the first place, and at least the US didn't commit troops. Syria? The US should provide arms, just like Egypt, but no more. The US cannot afford to deploy troops right now. We're tired of war, and we need to recoup for a good long while. Also, if the US said, "Fuck you, UN!" right now, after the vote to recognize Palestine as a nation, then there will be even less sympathy for the cause. A lot of countries aren't backing the US out of spite, so we just need to calm our tits about engaging in a ground war again.

Quote:
And LN... look back at history... the U.S. was involved in the Korean war long before the U.N. was. Debating on whether the U.S. should have been though... that's a different debate.
Brush up on your history.
Quote:
When hostile North Korean forces crossed the 38th parallel in Korea in June of 1950, the United Nations Security Council called for an immediate end to hostilities. When its further demand that North Korea withdraw forces from the southern half of the Korean peninsula fell on deaf ears, the UN Security Council recommended that members of the United Nations join forces to repel the attack. Twenty-one nations agreed to contribute arms, money, medical supplies, and/or troops to rid South Korea of the Communist aggressor.
Source.
The US just had the most military involvement, but it was acting under UN authority. Huge difference than the US storming in first followed by the UN security forces. Also, there is no debate about US involvement in Korea. Absolutely none.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
...wat? For starters...wat?

Let's break this down:

"We were in South Korea during WWII"
  • Considering Korea didn't become 2 separate governments until after the Potsdam Conference in July-August 1945, after WWII had ended.
  • U.S. forces were only in Korea to keep the Soviets from invading and occupying a devastated Japan (we had just dropped 2 atomic bombs on them, after all)
  • A result of the Potsdam Conference was an agreement that the Soviet forces wouldn't move south of the 38th parallel (which they adhered to).

"Many scholars point to the Korean War as the start of the Cold War"
  • I'd like to see a list of these supposed scholars.
  • "Many scholars" would point out that there is no agreement on when the Cold War started. Some claim it started almost immediately after the end of WWII. Others claim it started during WWI. Some even believe it was a result of tensions with the Russian Empire stemming back to the 19th century.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
Numinous (12-01-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,657 Times in 1,600 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyNinja View Post
You're kidding, right? The US doesn't exactly have the most stellar record for interventionism in the Middle East.
I'd go one step further and say the US doesn't exactly have the most stellar record for intervention anywhere.

Quote:
Egypt? It was the US's fault that Mubarak was there in the first place.
^This. The same could be said for Iraq as well, since we put Saddam Hussein in power there originally.

On that note...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtj1uqXqKok

ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ask me anything For This Useful Post:
Numinous (12-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 01:50 AM   #13
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

The only major problem I have with the UN is veto power. If the vast majority of member states are all "we should do this" but are stopped by mother fucking Russia being all "nope, don't like that plan guys," that is not democracy. That's just bullshit.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (12-01-2012), Numinous (12-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

Yeah, took forever and a day to get Russia to admit that something is amiss in the land of Syria. Plus, there's China always being assholes, too.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
Vanity
Succumb

Thanked 5,991 Times in 2,240 Posts
Vanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyNinja View Post
You're kidding, right? The US doesn't exactly have the most stellar record for interventionism in the Middle East.
This, because it makes me giggle. People always like OHMUHGURD US IN URBODAYZ BIZZ when our record for "intervening" is much more slim than some realize. Plus, just look at fucking Rwanda.

I agree with you, for the most part, that the UN needs to step up their shit and get to gettin', because I don't see this dying down quickly without outside assistance. I feel as though a regime over-throw is inevitable, but with the death count rising, I'd much rather it be soon than later =/
Speak to me.
Why do you never speak?
Speak.
What are you thinking of?
What thinking?
What?

I never know what you are thinking.
Think.
Vanity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanity For This Useful Post:
Mal (12-02-2012)