SSJ God form. - Page 2 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Anime & Manga > Anime & Manga

Anime & Manga Talk about some other anime and manga series in this section of the forum!

Old 02-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Thanked 1,248 Times in 521 Posts
jekyl_hyde is on a distinguished roadjekyl_hyde is on a distinguished road
Re: SSJ God form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
You are assuming Japanese people act like US people. They are by average much more nationalistic than the US and normally the authors/editors behind pieces of media make decisions based on the Japanese market/fanbase alone, not even acknowledging a worldwide market/fanbase. Heck, many franchises with a good chunk of worldwide following have rushed their endings because they were doing poorly.

Furthermore, the cash cow goalpost of the manga media now is One Piece, which racks up 100~150 million per year on Japan ALONE and outsold Dragonball years ago (and let's not even talk about the absolute batshit insanity around One Piece that has taken Japan by assault). That's what mangakas and manga magazines are after now, and even some have emulated aspects of One Piece to try to steal some thunder (Kishimoto included, with the failure of a humor he has been coming up with since the Armadillo Dick incident). I'd even dare to say most of them have no idea One Piece lacks the punch it has in Japan outside of it borders.

So I'd only find the claim of your friend at least veritable if it was a comic book author from the US/Europe who would want to buy Dragonball and make it a cash cow outside of Japan. Or a mangaka/magazine on the brink of bankruptcy and desperate for a last stand.
Not disagreeing with you one bit. But it's been proven that if a studio/publisher wants to make money, they do it outside of Japan. That's why I'm not including One Piece with Bleach, Naruto, and Dragonball. One Piece basically sucks outside of Japan compared to those three. It arguably has more die-hard fans, but definitely not as many casual fans. Also, if you take into account inflation, considering what Dragonball was pulling in over 10 years ago compared to today... all it is going to take is a decent storyline and someone will try to push it.

Remember Dragonball: Evolution... a promising development with potential that was brutally murdered creatively and acting-wise.... It's happened once already.
jekyl_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #17
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Also, if you take into account inflation, considering what Dragonball was pulling in over 10 years ago compared to today...
The figures you posted earlier already take inflation into account.

Quote:
Remember Dragonball: Evolution... a promising development with potential that was brutally murdered creatively and acting-wise.... It's happened once already.
The hacks behind DB:E only paid the image rights as many doujinshi out there did too, they did NOT buy the rights of Dragonball like your friend claimed someone was trying to do. There's a world of difference there.

Also, shouldn't DB:E be evidence enough that the transition is more probable to fail and make no decent cash than the contrary?

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #18
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Quote:
The figures you posted earlier already take inflation into account.
Actually, those weren't... they were bottom line figures from what I remember reading from a convention by Toyota in Mississippi.

Quote:
The hacks behind DB:E only paid the image rights as many doujinshi out there did too, they did NOT buy the rights of Dragonball like your friend claimed someone was trying to do. There's a world of difference there.

Also, shouldn't DB:E be evidence enough that the transition is more probable to fail and make no decent cash than the contrary?
I agree with you... it was a complete failure. With that said, it made $$$$. That's why I said $$$$ talks and bullsh!t walks. It's an appropriate phrase for this situation. Remember, you have to think of casual fans, not diehards.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #19
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyl_hyde View Post
Actually, those weren't... they were bottom line figures from what I remember reading from a convention by Toyota in Mississippi.
Okay, although the difference is not that big from the numbers I know about.

Quote:
I agree with you... it was a complete failure. With that said, it made $$$$.
No, it didn't. It barely recovered the money that was spent on that travesty. I'll be damned if that's considered making the dollar.

Quote:
That's why I said $$$$ talks and bullsh!t walks. It's an appropriate phrase for this situation. Remember, you have to think of casual fans, not diehards.
And don't underestimate the casual fans. Again, DB:E is proof that they're not the "anything eaters" people paint them to be (although some still are).

In summary, I'm not saying that's impossible for a Dragonball full-front revival in this day and age, but it's not as easy to pull as you seem to think. A lot of tact and sense of timing is crucial, along with needing the right tools to even attempt it.

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #20
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Quote:
Okay, although the difference is not that big from the numbers I know about.
Inflation has at least doubled in the U.S. since 9/11/2001. I remember when the first Dragonball Z Budokai PS1 game cost a measly $29.99 brand new. The new Budokai game is expected to be released @ $59.99 in the U.S. market, with many gaming experts predicting the new gen console games to be an extra $10-$20 brand new.

Quote:
No, it didn't. It barely recovered the money that was spent on that travesty. I'll be damned if that's considered making the dollar.
Depending on who your source is, the figures thrown out about how much it cost to make the movie ranged from $30-$100 Million. I do agree that no producer/studio is going to say that it had to have a higher budget when the movie grossed such a small amount, but at the theater, the movie grossed over $57 Million. That's not including DVD sales, blu-ray sales, and rental rights. The shitty movie made money. Imagine what they will be able to do without the limitations of reality in a manga.

Quote:
And don't underestimate the casual fans. Again, DB:E is proof that they're not the "anything eaters" people paint them to be (although some still are).

In summary, I'm not saying that's impossible for a Dragonball full-front revival in this day and age, but it's not as easy to pull as you seem to think. A lot of tact and sense of timing is crucial, along with needing the right tools to even attempt it.
I bolded that, because I do honestly agree with the vast majority of your statements in regard to this subject. And like I said, some of the info I have isn't concrete, and could be (probably is) speculation, but from what I've been told, there are several top people in the publishing world looking to possibly take on this... venture if Toriyama won't. I'm not saying it will make millions, but remember, Viz Media did try a spin-off graphic novel geared towards kids of the DB:Evolution movie.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #21
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,648 Times in 1,597 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyl_hyde View Post
Inflation has at least doubled in the U.S. since 9/11/2001. I remember when the first Dragonball Z Budokai PS1 game cost a measly $29.99 brand new. The new Budokai game is expected to be released @ $59.99 in the U.S. market, with many gaming experts predicting the new gen console games to be an extra $10-$20 brand new.
The price of those games has little to do to inflation. There are several government websites you can check to find out the rate of inflation. Since 2001 it's gone up by ~30%.

Last edited by ask me anything; 02-24-2013 at 07:43 PM.
ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote