What manga series are you currently reading? - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Anime & Manga > Anime & Manga

Anime & Manga Talk about some other anime and manga series in this section of the forum!

Old 03-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,771 Times in 928 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all
What manga series are you currently reading?

It has been a while since I've read or watched anything Rumiko Takahashi related. She's one of my favorite manga authors and thought I'd give Rin-ne a shot.

I mostly like Rumiko for her work in Ranma 1/2. lulzy series
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*

Last edited by Spiegel; 03-06-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
-SassyLady-
Dysfunctional Sweetheart

Thanked 1,398 Times in 877 Posts
-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough
Re: What manga series are you currently reading?

Currently?

D-gray-man
Kuroshitsuji
One Piece
Naruto
Kuroko no Basket
Soul Eater

The 1st one & last two I am way behind on. Definitely need to catch up on them.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Thanked 1,248 Times in 521 Posts
jekyl_hyde is on a distinguished roadjekyl_hyde is on a distinguished road

I need some help from you serious manga readers. I'm going to take up One Piece a lot sooner than I thought, but which other one should I read between Gantz and Magi?
jekyl_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyl_hyde View Post
I'm going to take up One Piece a lot sooner than I thought, but which other one should I read between Gantz and Magi?
Well...

It depends on what you want to read: Shounen (like Naruto or Bleach) or Seinen (lots of gore, lots of nudity/sex, very adult themes)? Magi is the former and Gantz the later.

And some advice on One Piece: see the anime for the first arcs. Along with being easier to assimilate, the scanlations available of those first arcs are really crappy (not even knowing how to write the main character's name kind of crappy).

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
NeoKakarott023 (09-08-2013), Scientia (03-07-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Dagoro
The surgeon of death

Thanked 7,274 Times in 2,924 Posts
Dagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to all

Give Magi a chance, it's a great series.

As for OP, read it from this site.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/One-Piece

It loads all pages at once, it allows for a much faster read.
Dagoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,657 Times in 1,600 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

Currently reading (in no particular order of favoritism):

Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
One Punch Man
Freezing
Magi
God of High School
Tower of God
Hajime no Ippo
Vinland Saga
Toriko
Berserk. The 3 or 4 times a year we actually get a chapter

Was reading Fairy Tail, Beezlebub and Aiki, but recently quit them due to extreme disappointment in the series. They just got stale and unoriginal.

ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,657 Times in 1,600 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyl_hyde View Post
I need some help from you serious manga readers. I'm going to take up One Piece a lot sooner than I thought, but which other one should I read between Gantz and Magi?
MAGI!!!
I used to read Gantz. It starts off great but it gets extremely horrible around chapter 100 or so. Spoiler:

In the beginning, you got a great mix of people. Many of them die from mission to mission, but you still have a good core group that keeps surviving (mostly). The bonds (or lack of) between them is what really makes the series. The first few hunts are kinda lame, but it starts to take off quickly after that. There's a great sense of pacing in this manga, from the lightning fast fighting scenes, to the slower paced day to day scenes of people just being themselves and living otherwise normal lives. After a while the fights become incredible and other weapons are unlocked after getting 100 points. Including a mecha power armor. Fuck Yeah!!!!!

Then for some reason the plot goes crazy. You find out there's a countdown in place, and that the gantz balls are produced by some mysterious company. The possibilities seem endless as to where things might go from here. Then you find out that the countdown is simply for a lame ass alien invasion. FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU
!!!!!!!!!

When I left off the invasion was in full swing. It really only lasted 5 chapters, and earth lost so fucking hard. Now the gantz players from around the world are in a campaign of guerrilla warfare for various reasons. The main character in trying to find his girfriend on some alien ship, who is by far the dumbest cunt to ever be written in any manga ever. If anybody here has read Bleach and is familiar with Orihime's horribleness as a character, I assure you this chick if 5000% worse. The Ichigo-kun, Ichigo-kun, Ichigo-kun antics from Orihime pale by comparison.

What's worse, nothing ever got explained. Where did all these various monsters, aliens, and vampires even come from. How does the organization fit into all this. What's the purpose of even bringing people back to life to fight in these competitions in the beginning.

Truly one of those "Da' Fuck am I even reading" mangas.

Last edited by ask me anything; 03-06-2013 at 10:44 PM.
ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

Thanked 4,134 Times in 1,402 Posts
LonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura about

Hajime no Ippo (finally got caught up on all 1000+ chapters, holy shit, manly), Berserk (absolutely horrendous when it comes to updates, and I don't like the direction of the narrative now, but still delivers on artwork and manly battles), Soul Eater (fuck yeah, Soul Eater), Vinland Saga (what the fuck happened to this one?), AIKI (needs to update more, but I still find the ridiculous fighting interesting), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (fuck yeah, martial arts!), Grappler Baki (mangahere doesn't have any chapter past 90 which is irritating, but I like the ridiculous violence), Naruto (because I hate myself), and just started Y十M to pass the time. Don't really have an opinion on the very last one at the moment since the scanlations/translators/writers are inconsistent and... not great.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #9
apacolypz
ANBU

apacolypz is on a distinguished road

Magi (yay)
D Gray Man
Claymore
Berserk
Naruto
Bleach
Girls of the Wild (yeah I know)
Fairy Tail (yeah I know lol)
One Piece (YAY)
Soul Eater

Comics,

The Walking Dead (doesn't count)

Novel wise
Game of Thrones Book 2
Can't wait to start on book 3
apacolypz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apacolypz For This Useful Post:
Scientia (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #10
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,771 Times in 928 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

Aiki really needs to update more frequently. Same goes for Hunter x Hunter. The Ant Chimera arc was freaking insane. I was reading this series called Gamaran. Cool series about weapon based martial arts. Put a hold on that for personal reasons but gonna pick it up again soon.
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #11
apacolypz
ANBU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoro View Post
Give Magi a chance, it's a great series.

As for OP, read it from this site.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/One-Piece

It loads all pages at once, it allows for a much faster read.
I love Kissmanga.com totally agreed Dag...and YES PLEASE GIVE MAGI A CHANCE! It is if not my fav manga. Consistent is the key word here...
Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Going to say AMA pretty much has my views on Gantz down. The whole set up was a real "Where's this going" but interesting but when they finally leave the room the whole thing is just hard to read. Don't get it and it's taken a sharp nose dive. I occasionally return to it only to be disappointed again.

Reading:
Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Soul Eater <- so good.
Green Blood <- doing quite well in the set up
Fairy Tail <- honestly, it's getting worse than Bleach

In process of catching up/coming back to from time to time
Magi
Berserk
Claymore
Gantz
Blame!

Other's I've started but really have no intention of finishing lest I'm bedridden:
Elfin Lied
Ubel Blatt
Sun-Ken Rock

One's I've been meaning to read:
Vagabond
Hajime no Ippo

Also: http://www.fandom.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70769
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
Senkradlol
Chuunin

Senkradlol is an unknown quantity at this point

Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Soul Eater
Liar Game
Fairy Tail? Only because I'm not reading a lot and it's so fast to read, I hate every second of it.
Senkradlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
apacolypz
ANBU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senkradlol View Post
Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Soul Eater
Liar Game
Fairy Tail? Only because I'm not reading a lot and it's so fast to read, I hate every second of it.

Pick up Magi...you will mostly love every page of it. Considerably consistent and great characters to boot!
The Following User Says Thank You to apacolypz For This Useful Post:
Senkradlol (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #15
J-man123
Supernova

J-man123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Naruto
One Piece
Fairy Tail
Freezing
Toriko
Magi
Green Blood
Soul eater
1/2 Blood Prince (on hiatus or something)
Shaman King Flowers
Beelzebub
J-man123 is offline   Reply With Quote