Cooking Time - Page 19 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > The Trashbin > Spam Zone

Spam Zone Come here to post anything that doesnt fit into the rest of the forum topics.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #271
TheBaron
Danish Chef and gamer

TheBaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Cooking Time

My lunch today, made up while shopping. Turned out perfect.

Ingrdients:
1 onion
1/4 cabbage
1 plum
250 Grams of Cod filet
25 Grams of butter
Teriyaki sauce

Put the butter in a pot, and put the heat at 1/5 power. When the butter is melted, put the cod in the pot (rhymes, yo!) and slowly poach the tender fish. It need 8-10 mins to be done.

On a pan, put a little oil, and fry onion and thinly sliced cabbage. Onion should be ¬Ĺ rings. when somewhat cooked, add Teriyaki, and let it all caramelize.

Now take the fish out of the pot, and keep it warm without making it dry. Add frozen peas to the butter, and stir. When the peas are heated, add filets of plum to the mix, and stir for 30 seconds. Engouh for the plum to be heated, but not enough for it to dissolve. You may now serve your dish.

NOTE: If you are not a big fan of plum, but a huge fan of Bacon, this is a suitable replacement. Just fry it with the onion and cabbage instead.

This is the smal version (for lunch)

And this is the big version (for dinner)
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBaron For This Useful Post:
OG (03-06-2013)

Old 09-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #272
-SassyLady-
Dysfunctional Sweetheart

Thanked 1,398 Times in 877 Posts
-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough

Pretty Much on How to make it..

^Made Chees Blintz in class today. Had to take a pic, everyone ate them all made about 12 of them for class and such. Instructor said it was very good with the cherry sauce tasty treat. I know my camera is pretty shitty but bam their you go.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #273
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Thanked 1,248 Times in 521 Posts
jekyl_hyde is on a distinguished roadjekyl_hyde is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SassyLady- View Post

Pretty Much on How to make it..

^Made Chees Blintz in class today. Had to take a pic, everyone ate them all made about 12 of them for class and such. Instructor said it was very good with the cherry sauce tasty treat. I know my camera is pretty shitty but bam their you go.
Looks yummy... minus the cherries. Not a cherry person, but to each their own.

Are you looking to be more of a gourmet or hearty/comfort chef?
jekyl_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #274
-SassyLady-
Dysfunctional Sweetheart

Thanked 1,398 Times in 877 Posts
-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyl_hyde View Post
Looks yummy... minus the cherries. Not a cherry person, but to each their own.

Are you looking to be more of a gourmet or hearty/comfort chef?
Hmm I think I might become a mix of all types. All depends I guess you could say.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #275
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SassyLady- View Post
Hmm I think I might become a mix of all types. All depends I guess you could say.
I'm more of a comfort/southern/hearty cook myself. And that's mainly due to my love of grilling/smoking and tailgating. I don't know what tailgating is like in Nebraska, but down South, it's an event to behold. Every tailgater should visit Baton Rouge, LA (LSU), Oxford, MS (Ole Miss) and Tuscaloosa (Alabama) for some awesome tailgating experiences.

Last edited by jekyl_hyde; 09-30-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #276
Tabris
Sexy Lady

Thanked 4,329 Times in 1,961 Posts
Tabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really nice

As Sassy clearly recognises already, there is no point in limiting yourself in anyway in your types of cooking. I don't evenbother to label myself when it comes to the style I usually make.

Jekyl, I've been learning alot about smoking meat at work recently (I work for Cabela's) and I must say I am excited to get into that next summer.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tabris For This Useful Post:
-SassyLady- (10-03-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #277
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
As Sassy clearly recognises already, there is no point in limiting yourself in anyway in your types of cooking. I don't evenbother to label myself when it comes to the style I usually make.
True. Good food is good food, regardless of plating (which is the main difference in styles I've learned... also differing in price by $20-$1000 per plate, depending on what city you are in).

Quote:
Jekyl, I've been learning alot about smoking meat at work recently (I work for Cabela's) and I must say I am excited to get into that next summer.
I came across a "stumbling" block this past month with smoking... my wife hates hickory smoke... and I love it. So now I know, when I'm smoking for her, I'm working with either a fruit wood or mesquite wood. I haven't used cherry, I'm more of an apple guy myself (the only apple I use, because I'm not that fond of Apple); but I've been told cherry is great to work with as well. A great cut of meat to start out with when it comes to smoking... a good ole Boston Butt (shoulder). I enjoy a good 1/2" to 1" thick smoke ring on my butts when I smoke them. But seriously, they're hard to overcook, and if you do undercook them, putting it on some direct heat won't spoil the meat.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #278
TheBaron
Danish Chef and gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyl_hyde View Post
True. Good food is good food, regardless of plating (which is the main difference in styles I've learned... also differing in price by $20-$1000 per plate, depending on what city you are in)

The plating is quite universal: Do what you feel like looks best. That has nothing to do with style, aside from japanese (mostly Sushi, though).

Styles of cooking differs in the foods that you use: Do you follow what the season has to offer, do you buy national foods, or imported foods. Then comes the manner in which you prepare your food. French food is all about the sauce, for instance, while Italian food is all about the pasta, or the tomato. Danish food is mostly about potatoes in some way (we have a fuckload of differnt kinds of way to prepare potatoes), German food is about sausages, pork and flesh in general.

For example: Take asparagus, chicken, cream, butter and spices. In Denmark, we would make something, locally known as "tarteletter". Tarteletter is basically Sugarless Puff Pastry, shaped into some kind of eadible bowl, in which we fill a stew of chicken, asparagus, and a sauce made from the chicken stock and cream. In France, using the same ingredients, they would pan-roast the chicken, give it a crunchy skin, Grill the asparagus, make a sauce using butter and cream, and probably some kind of carbon-garnish, usually some sort of potato. Same ingredients, different styles of food.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #279
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaron View Post
The plating is quite universal: Do what you feel like looks best. That has nothing to do with style, aside from japanese (mostly Sushi, though).

Styles of cooking differs in the foods that you use: Do you follow what the season has to offer, do you buy national foods, or imported foods. Then comes the manner in which you prepare your food. French food is all about the sauce, for instance, while Italian food is all about the pasta, or the tomato. Danish food is mostly about potatoes in some way (we have a fuckload of differnt kinds of way to prepare potatoes), German food is about sausages, pork and flesh in general.

For example: Take asparagus, chicken, cream, butter and spices. In Denmark, we would make something, locally known as "tarteletter". Tarteletter is basically Sugarless Puff Pastry, shaped into some kind of eadible bowl, in which we fill a stew of chicken, asparagus, and a sauce made from the chicken stock and cream. In France, using the same ingredients, they would pan-roast the chicken, give it a crunchy skin, Grill the asparagus, make a sauce using butter and cream, and probably some kind of carbon-garnish, usually some sort of potato. Same ingredients, different styles of food.
I'm at fault for not clarifying my point. Stateside regardless of the cultural discipline that the food preparation is from, each and every one has two styles... comfort/hearty and gourmet. We're seeing more and more of it here because of fusion-style restaurants. And the difference is plating. Take for instance the city of New Orleans (Nawhlins to locals). You can go to an upscale restaurant and grab some great beignets, jambalaya, or fried river cats. And you know how the plating will be. Or you can go to several "hole in the walls", and get the same food, same quality (sometimes better IMO), messier plating, and definitely much cheaper.

I don't know how to scientifically support this, but to me, food from the local "hole in the walls" is better than the upscales and chains, because it seems like the local chef puts a little "love" in whatever they cook. I mean, I've literally seen a barbeque competition where two neighbors claim to use the same spice rub on some baby-back ribs, same sauce recipe, cooked at same temp for the same amount of time, and one tasted better than the other. Now I know we could go the temp. variation route, but in a competition like that, it's extremely hard to prove with the correlation to the carmelization of the rub and sauce on the ribs. Sometimes it is what it is... that little bit of love.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #280
TheBaron
Danish Chef and gamer

Truly, it is. I cook with that little bit of love (Well, more like a shitload of love) and I know what difference it makes. I just wanted to explain in detail, what styles of different countries mean for a dish, compared to the way you plate it. Plating is the easiest part, getting the local style of food right is far more complicated.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #281
Darth-Nero
Victory!

Thanked 1,674 Times in 676 Posts
Darth-Nero is on a distinguished roadDarth-Nero is on a distinguished road

So my mom loves kitchen machines as gifts in whatever occasion, I asked her if there is something in particular she wants this year in motherís day and she chose a waffle maker, I was happy with her choice since I never had a waffle before and wanted to try. So i got her the best waffle maker I found which was a Kenwood and looked up recipes on the internet.

I was too excited about it that I couldnít think of a proper topping, So I just grabbed a pack of ice cream and candy and some Marcona Almonds from the store..came home to find out that mom already made some caramel..Fuck yeah, justice. Long story short, That shit was so fuckiní tasty..I could barely take some time out for pics.

Recently I found out that they sell maple syrup in a hyper market near by (I think itís Russian or Turkey) so my next try would most likely be with that.

How about you guys? What do you like on your waffles?
Darth-Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:13 AM   #282
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,817 Times in 3,843 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Dude what the fuck candy on a waffle that shit's insane mother fucker get that maple syrup on that shit Tab and I can send you some more sometime, the good Canadian shit. Eventually. And the fuck you mean you'd never had waffles? Access to waffles should be a fucking human right. Fuck bro.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Darth-Nero (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 01:39 AM   #283
Darth-Nero
Victory!

Thanked 1,674 Times in 676 Posts
Darth-Nero is on a distinguished roadDarth-Nero is on a distinguished road

Yeah i kinda sucked massive cocks with the toppings, I was so fixated on the batter to get the waffles right and man did i. It was soo guuud mate, pretty sure the maple in the super market is gonna be a porcessed horse piss compared to the Canadian goodness but i'll manage with it till you guys restock me <333

Am sure there are a few places around here that serves good waffles but i never bothered to seek it out, I had no idea it's that fucking delicious. Am not a pancake guy anymore.
Darth-Nero is offline   Reply With Quote