Freedom of speech: Can it survive? - Page 6 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section

Debates Section Enjoy a good discussion? This is the place for you! Only knowledgeable discussions allowed!

Old 09-12-2006, 10:15 PM   #76
Miburo

Re: Freedom of speech: Can it survive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride
so, if i own privat eland, i can grow marijuana, and when the police come and try and get me i can so "no, i ow this land and i made a rule that said i can grow pot" and there gonna say "oh, alright, thats cool, mind if we match you a blunt?"

i dont think so.
Wow, probably should avoid using analogies in the future. Not your forte, man. ^^;

Let's say I don't like attention whore douche bags who wear face paint in a pathetic attempt to go against the norm, be different, or to just try to hide the fact that they're uninteresting losers, for example. So I don't let these people come over my house. That's not against the law, right? Right. You don't have to let someone on your property if you don't want them there. What law does that break? Hmm?

Now lets say I run a school. I don't want those same kids in there for whatever reason. Dress like a normal person or find a different school, there's other options. Don't like the rules, then go complain about it to the proper authorities or find somewhere else to get an education. Is that against the law? Nope. Will breaking the rules that only apply on school grounds get you arrested? Nope. Again, no contradiction with the law. If they don't want someone on their property for whatever reason then it's within their right to tell you to GTFO. They're not breaking any law.

You growing pot at your house does break the law though, so your analogy isn't very relevant. Schools don't break the law when they issue a fricken dress code. You're being ridiculous, man.

Last edited by Miburo; 09-12-2006 at 10:16 PM.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:37 PM   #77
Optimus Prime
Academy Student

Optimus Prime is an unknown quantity at this point

The fact that a school is a public asstablishment means that if something is defined "distracting" to other students let it be fair or not, it is the schools JOB to get rid of so called "distraction" and institute a safe place to learn,

Although a schools policy can be changed it is not set in stone, if someone at your school dosent like the policy they can summon a hearing at a town meeting, or at the school commety( something along that line) and see if the school could loosen its policies on the dress code
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #78
Assaulter
Symphony of Destruction

Assaulter will become famous soon enoughAssaulter will become famous soon enoughAssaulter will become famous soon enough

Its always been freedom of speech with limits. Your taking the term freedom of speech way to literal. The goverment made that so that people could PROTEST not say what ever they want. That can be done everywhere. Freedom of speech is only about protest. It allows you to disagree in a civial matter about something you feel that is not righteous. The freedom of speech your thinking is the freedom to do whatever the hell you want. That would be a lawless place. We made the constitution so that we could allow more things than the British did and thats all it is. After the constitution comes law. IF you don't know a country is absolute chaos without law. Don't try to say no either. To many psychos that like killing for the sport. Please look at freedoms with a governmental standpoint because that is how they were made. They were not made by ordinary people.

Assaulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:53 PM   #79
White Lotus
Genin

White Lotus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assaulter View Post
Its always been freedom of speech with limits. Your taking the term freedom of speech way to literal. The goverment made that so that people could PROTEST not say what ever they want.
Thats true but the limits are in afect for a good reason to protect other rights of the people, You can say what ever you want no matter what you want, ASLONG as it doesn't offend another person, so tell me one thing you can't say that is not offencive......... i'll be waiting

White Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:39 AM   #80
Miburo

Actually, it can even be offensive. You can tell someone they're a moron or a dipshit and you're not going to get arrested. Tell them that they're horrible people and you hope they die, totally fine. No one has the right to not be offended. : )

The only things you're not allowed to say is if it negatively effects someone or can put someone in danger. If I call up your work and tell everyone you're a thief then I can get into trouble for slander, you could lose your job over stuff like that. Or if you scream 'fire' in a crowded place where it could cause a panic. You can say pretty much whatever you want as long as it doesn't impeed on someone else's rights or harm another person.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:24 AM   #81
Rhi
Genin

Rhi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Actually, it can even be offensive. You can tell someone they're a moron or a dipshit and you're not going to get arrested. Tell them that they're horrible people and you hope they die, totally fine. No one has the right to not be offended. : )

The only things you're not allowed to say is if it negatively effects someone or can put someone in danger. If I call up your work and tell everyone you're a thief then I can get into trouble for slander, you could lose your job over stuff like that. Or if you scream 'fire' in a crowded place where it could cause a panic. You can say pretty much whatever you want as long as it doesn't impeed on someone else's rights or harm another person.
so does that meen instead of screaming 'fire' and causing histeria i could go and pull the fire alarm bell and cause panic? . i haven't said a word and i COULD lay the blame on someone else [if i weren't a christian] but considering the fact that i am a christian i wouldn't do that kind of thing it's just an example

Member Of:
Band Geeks FC
Rhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:51 AM   #82
Miburo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhi View Post
so does that meen instead of screaming 'fire' and causing histeria i could go and pull the fire alarm bell and cause panic? . i haven't said a word and i COULD lay the blame on someone else [if i weren't a christian] but considering the fact that i am a christian i wouldn't do that kind of thing it's just an example
Nope, for the same reason screaming fire isn't allowed. I was just using that as an example as to something free speech doesn't protect due to the obvious negative impact it would cause. Your way just wouldn't involve the right of free speech, that's all. Also, lol. ^^;;;;
Old 09-18-2006, 06:37 PM   #83
White Lotus
Genin

White Lotus is an unknown quantity at this point

You are right miboru, i should have worded it correctly, i should have said harm but where i was going at is like, N***er, C**t, and other slurrs

White Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:37 PM   #84
Assaulter
Symphony of Destruction

Assaulter will become famous soon enoughAssaulter will become famous soon enoughAssaulter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post

Your half right. Sadly if you say something offensive in a cops hearing distance if he feels like calling you on it, slander that is, you can go to jail. When you say something harmful that is also slander true. Just like you can get in trouble for Jay walking. Just like it though saying something offensive is usually not called on. Once again its really not freedom of "speech", it is freedom of protest.

Assaulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:03 AM   #85
Miburo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assaulter View Post
Your half right. Sadly if you say something offensive in a cops hearing distance if he feels like calling you on it, slander that is, you can go to jail. When you say something harmful that is also slander true. Just like you can get in trouble for Jay walking. Just like it though saying something offensive is usually not called on. Once again its really not freedom of "speech", it is freedom of protest.
That's just not true. A police officer won't arrest me if I call the guy next door a douche bag. It has to be untrue, and it has to harm the person's reputation in such a way that it has the possibility of negatively affecting them. Like calling up your work and telling them you stole money from them, or something along those lines. There's no possible way you'd actually get into trouble for saying something that doesn't actually harm the guy you're insulting. (Assuming you're not harassing people or crap like that, then again they wouldn't get you on slander)
Old 09-30-2006, 06:13 PM   #86
jasongotti
Missing-Nin

jasongotti is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah in america freedom of speech is allowed unless someone threathning someone then they going to jail someone could call the president a bitch,slut they wont go to jail , but people take it too far like kanye west dunno if ya heared of him he said he's name should be in bible thats just stupid it makes me laugh
jasongotti is offline   Reply With Quote