Any Death/Doom Metal Fans - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Music Talk

Music Talk Discuss about your favorite songs, battle freestyle, and show off your music videos here!

Old 12-24-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
RNB
El Topo

Thanked 1,887 Times in 822 Posts
RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough
Any Death/Doom Metal Fans

Any Death or Doom metal fans here? I like other kinds of music, but these are probably my favorites.

- Heraclitus
RNB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2006, 05:41 PM   #2
Godspeed
Academy Student

Godspeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Any Death/Doom Metal Fans

Yupp - right here. I'm more into Doom myself though. I believe the Death scene has become way too wide ranged to actually still call it Death Metal. Let's take Opeth as example. These guys have been qualified as Death from the beginning, whilst they are more Progressive then Death in my opinion. Though, people just put them in the Death section because Mikael does those Death Grunts. Those people should realize that there is more needed to qualify a band than just the vocals.

Anyway. Like I said, Doom is more my thing. I like all sorts of Doom actually, not just the Metal kind. Funeral Doom, for example - this is one of the branches of the original Doom. One reason why I like this kind of music is because of the dark, melancholic sound that it brings with it. Another thing is the mostly slow music, with the harse dark grunts (I prefer the grunts to be performed as an instrument more than the actual singing).

But yeah, Doom can also be seen in many different ways. Just take a look at a band like Anathema, which is also Doom Metal - and on the other side we take something like My Dying Bride, which is the heavier side of Doom. Oh, on a side note, My Dying Bride has made the most beautiful song I have ever heard. Just listen to For My Fallen Angel from the Like Gods of the Sun album. You'll love it if you're into the Doom Metal ballads.

One of my fave Doom bands has got to be Novembers Doom though. They could be seen like the Opeth of Doom Metal, mixing heavy with soft sections almost perfectly. I know for a fact that you (Redneckboy) really enjoy Opeth, so I'd recommend Novembers Doom to you if you haven't heard them before. Get the To Welcome the Fade album.

Ok - that's about it for me. If you need any recommendations in the Doom scene, just ask here or contact me via PM (cause I also know you are kinda new to the Doom scene).

P.S.
I don't know if you ever heard of Ambient music? Though, if you haven't - there is also a Doom Ambient genre. If you're into those two kind of music styles, I'd recommend you to take a look at Sun 0))). Weird name, I know. Their real name is actually just Sun, but they added the 0))) to their name, which they use(d) for a logo.

Last edited by Godspeed; 12-24-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Godspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
RNB
El Topo

RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godspeed View Post
Yupp - right here. I'm more into Doom myself though. I believe the Death scene has become way too wide ranged to actually still call it Death Metal. Let's take Opeth as example. These guys have been qualified as Death from the beginning, whilst they are more Progressive then Death in my opinion. Though, people just put them in the Death section because Mikael does those Death Grunts. Those people should realize that there is more needed to qualify a band than just the vocals.

Anyway. Like I said, Doom is more my thing. I like all sorts of Doom actually, not just the Metal kind. Funeral Doom, for example - this is one of the branches of the original Doom. One reason why I like this kind of music is because of the dark, melancholic sound that it brings with it. Another thing is the mostly slow music, with the harse dark grunts (I prefer the grunts to be performed as an instrument more than the actual singing).

But yeah, Doom can also be seen in many different ways. Just take a look at a band like Anathema, which is also Doom Metal - and on the other side we take something like My Dying Bride, which is the heavier side of Doom. Oh, on a side note, My Dying Bride has made the most beautiful song I have ever heard. Just listen to For My Fallen Angel from the Like Gods of the Sun album. You'll love it if you're into the Doom Metal ballads.

One of my fave Doom bands has got to be Novembers Doom though. They could be seen like the Opeth of Doom Metal, mixing heavy with soft sections almost perfectly. I know for a fact that you (Redneckboy) really enjoy Opeth, so I'd recommend Novembers Doom to you if you haven't heard them before. Get the To Welcome the Fade album.

Ok - that's about it for me. If you need any recommendations in the Doom scene, just ask here or contact me via PM (cause I also know you are kinda new to the Doom scene).

P.S.
I don't know if you ever heard of Ambient music? Though, if you haven't - there is also a Doom Ambient genre. If you're into those two kind of music styles, I'd recommend you to take a look at Sun 0))). Weird name, I know. There real name is actually just Sun, but they added the 0))) to their name, which they use(d) for a logo.
Funeral Doom is great. I listen to Candlemass all the time. I have heard of Ambient. Would Isis beconsidered a Ambient band?

- Heraclitus
Old 12-24-2006, 05:55 PM   #4
Godspeed
Academy Student

Nah, Isis isn't even close to Ambient. They are more Doom meets post-rock. People mostly qualify that as post-doom. Isis is a great band though - you have good taste in music. Oh... have you ever seen them live? If not, and ever get the oppertunity to do so, GO! Seriously, they will blow you away. These guys are really convincing on stage.

Candlemass eh? I have heard some of their material, but I can't say I really like their style. Though, alot of people seem to be really into them, so I can't say they suck. And I do have to admit I even liked one or two tunes I heard.

No, Ambient. Hmmm. This is a very unknown genre for alot of people and I honestly can't think of any overall known band that is qualified as Ambient. Like I said, Sunn 0))) (I misspelled Sunn the first time, it's actually with two 'N's) is one of the most well known Doom Ambient bands out there, and some people even consider them to be the founders of this genre. Oh, here's some unexpected info; I heard that David Bowie is the original founder of the Ambient music, but I still doubt that.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:10 PM   #5
RNB
El Topo

Quote:
Nah, Isis isn't even close to Ambient. They are more Doom meets post-rock. People mostly qualify that as post-doom. Isis is a great band though - you have good taste in music. Oh... have you ever seen them live? If not, and ever get the oppertunity to do so, GO! Seriously, they will blow you away. These guys are really convincing on stage.
I haven't seen them live, but I so want to. I also would like to see Dream Theater, but that is another story.

Quote:
That is why Opeth is Prog. Death Metal. I also like Melodic Death Metal like Dark Tranquility, In Flames, etc.

- Heraclitus
Old 12-24-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
Godspeed
Academy Student

Dream Theatre eh? I'm not too fond of them myself. I do own two of their albums, including Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, which I have to praise as a good album. Or... at least it is respectable.

I do not fully agree with your statement about Opeth being Progressive Death though. Of course Mikael uses the Death grunts, but mweh - he uses it way too little to actually give it a real Death Metal feeling. He used to use it a LOT more on their first two, three albums. Although he did again use the Death grunt more on the Deliverance album. But this could, and probably should, be seen as a matter of different opinions.

Furthermore; Melodic Death. Dark Tranquility is definitely high on my list when it comes to Melodic Metal. I do have to compliment you on listening to them. Though, there are just a couple of bands I would rank higher than them. Sentenced for example. Finnish Melodic (Death) Metal band. It totally depends on how you want to qualify them, because they don't actually use the Death grunts. And unfortunately, they quit making music not too long ago.

But yeah - when all is said and done, we can only agree that we both listen to good music.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:43 PM   #7
RNB
El Topo

Quote:
Dream Theatre eh? I'm not too fond of them myself. I do own two of their albums, including Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, which I have to praise as a good album. Or... at least it is respectable.
You need to listen to "Scenes from a Memory." It is their best album in my opinion.

Quote:
I do not fully agree with your statement about Opeth being Progressive Death though. Of course Mikael uses the Death grunts, but mweh - he uses it way too little to actually give it a real Death Metal feeling. He used to use it a LOT more on their first two, three albums. Although he did again use the Death grunt more on the Deliverance album. But this could, and probably should, be seen as a matter of different opinions.
He does do a lot of clean vocals in Ghost Reveries, but either way he is considered to be one of the best grunters and he is considered to be one of the best vocalists in Death Metal. I mean "The Drapery Falls" shows of his talent.

Quote:
But yeah - when all is said and done, we can only agree that we both listen to good music.
Yup, and it saddens me to see all my friends denying my music because of the vocals (only.) I rarely find people who like these types of music these days.

- Heraclitus
Old 12-25-2006, 04:33 AM   #8
Godspeed
Academy Student

Hehe - yeah. People are way too narrow-minded these days to look past the harse vocals. It saddens me when they say that the Death grunts, or Grinding are similar to the Black Metal Scream. Oh man... I find them totally ignorant towards music when they say something like that.

Anyhow - I do own the Scenes of a Memory album, but that was more than disappointing to me. Reason is because everyone, and I really mean everyone told me this was their best work. I just can't get into it like I do with Six Degrees. I guess there is no one to blame for my stubbornness.

Also, to further explain my opinion about the Opeth thing. Like I said, I do admit he does some mean Death grunts, but I also mentioned that you can NOT qualify a band by just the vocals. My last post also explained I did not find the Death vocals that overwhelming in the last couple of albums (except for Deliverance, which used more Death vocals). And in my opinion, the music is more Progressive than anything else. So, if we sum it all up: the vocals arent that Death anymore, the music has become more Progressive than Death and they even evolved to a more mainstream acceptable sounding band. Those are the main reasons I would never label them as Death.

And that thing about Mikael being one of the best Death Metal vocalists? All I have to say about that is; listen to more bands, will ya!
Old 12-25-2006, 07:31 AM   #9
Takumi
Chuunin

Takumi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
And that thing about Mikael being one of the best Death Metal vocalists? All I have to say about that is; listen to more bands, will ya!
I like the vocalists of Vital Remains and Chastisement better.

But I like Death Metal better than Doom Metal, but that may be since I hardly ever listened to Doom Metal.

and Melodic Death Metal is probably the best kind of death metal, Brutal Death Metal is cool to, though the lyrics are a little bit extreme there.

I treat people the same way they treat me......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend of Mine
You're not George's friend?? But I thought all assholes were each others' friends!
Takumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:35 PM   #10
RNB
El Topo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi View Post
I like the vocalists of Vital Remains and Chastisement better.

But I like Death Metal better than Doom Metal, but that may be since I hardly ever listened to Doom Metal.

and Melodic Death Metal is probably the best kind of death metal, Brutal Death Metal is cool to, though the lyrics are a little bit extreme there.
I am going to have to say Progressive is. I like all the progressive groups because they give you that Jazz feel and they still stay heavy.

- Heraclitus
Old 12-27-2006, 09:36 PM   #11
xoRAZORBLADESxo
Chuunin

xoRAZORBLADESxo will become famous soon enoughxoRAZORBLADESxo will become famous soon enough

I consider this type of music an obnoxious, sometimes nihillistic, unrefined aggression. And, a degeneration of true rock music....For one thing "Death/Doom Metal" rarely has a good melody, if it has one at all. Also the lyrics hardly make any sense because they're all about satan and stupid shit like that. Maybe some of you can find meaning in these types of lyrics, but I cannot...However, if you consider Opeth a Death/Doom Metal band, I would probably be able to listen to a few songs..........

(This is just my opinion. I understand that you guys listen to a lot more bands in this genre than I do, but, from what I know about death/doom metal, this is what I can make of it. The death metal band that caused me to come up with this conclusion was Suffocation if you've heard their music you'd probably agree with me...Actually you probably still wouldn't........Sorry.)

Last edited by xoRAZORBLADESxo; 12-28-2006 at 04:10 PM.
xoRAZORBLADESxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:57 AM   #12
Godspeed
Academy Student

Way to NOT read everything that has already been said.

I can clearly state from your post that you're not into this kind of music, and may I add that you are a pretty close-minded person if you actually think this is a 'degeneration of true (?) rock music'. Give me the meaning of true rock music and then we will continue this discussion.

Anyway. What you stated about Death and Doom Metal is not true. Doom is never about satan. I don't know where you find that information, but I can 100% assure you that that information was wrong! Same way goes for Death. That genre isnt actually all based around Satan either. My guess is that you never even heard ANY music at all in those genres.
Though, if you want to complain about music being about Satan, I'd suggest you to take a look at some Black and Gothic Metal bands, because those are mainly the genres that can be qualified as 'Satan's music'. Just try to find something about the famous Black Metal/Satan incident in Italia, a couple of years ago.

Last edited by Godspeed; 12-28-2006 at 08:00 AM.
Godspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:17 AM   #13
Takumi
Chuunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoRAZORBLADESxo View Post
Also the lyrics hardly make any sense because they're all about satan and stupid shit like that.
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, example: In Flames is (Melodic) Death Metal, their lyrics are never about satan or such stuff.
Proof:
Quote:
1. Bullet Ride by In Flames

Do you feel anything at all?
Do you hear steps at the door?
Do you reckon the smell of....?
It's life-the the dark that binds you

Frigthened by your own smell
Bitternes will run you through

Silent screaming
Turning, twisting the alphabet
Frantic eyes
Awaiting the answer
Splinters of a poem
Fragments of what you used to be
Habitual and gullible
Run-down memoirs is all that's left

Do you wish to sleep?
Do you aim for the shadow?
Do you feel infected?

It's the cowardice that puls you under
And takes you to the end, where it begins
Release, the world is waiting on your arrival
Close your eyes, as we witness another bullet ride

Do you know about atrocity?
Do you that everbody's gone?
Do you know that you're on your own?
did you see any satan worshipping in there? I sure as hell didn't.

and it doesn't have melody? then why is there a sub-genre in death metal called MELODIC Death Metal?
If you really wanna act like you know death metal:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_metal

And true rock.........what's that? U2? Metallica? any other way to commercial and mainstream band?

Quote:
You're not George's friend?? But I thought all assholes were each others' friends!
Old 12-28-2006, 07:01 PM   #14
RNB
El Topo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi View Post
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, example: In Flames is (Melodic) Death Metal, their lyrics are never about satan or such stuff.
Proof:

did you see any satan worshipping in there? I sure as hell didn't.

and it doesn't have melody? then why is there a sub-genre in death metal called MELODIC Death Metal?
If you really wanna act like you know death metal:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_metal

And true rock.........what's that? U2? Metallica? any other way to commercial and mainstream band?
i swear you read my mind except I was going to post the lyrics to Dead End, which I will.......

Quote:
4. Dead End

Save all your prayers
I think we lost today
There's no morning after
And no one's around to blame

I'm not afraid to bleed
But I won't do it for you
We'll start among hypocrites
The melody of our time

[Chorus:]
So say goodbye to the world
We are the dead can't walk the earth
Scream your lungs out
Wait for laughter
You don't have to wait forever
It's the next disaster!

What decides when you've lost the war
When the first man falls?
Or when they erase it all?

We're too numb to feel
The downfall starts here
Hold your breath and swim
Swallowed my life's tear

In times of make believe
No one really seems to care
Maybe I should care less
'Cause I will die too

[Chorus]

What will it take for us to realize
The more we provoke
Winter will come twice

Save all your prayers
I think we lost today
There's no morning after
And no one's around to blame

Scream you lungs out
Wait for laughter
You don't have to wait for ever
Here's the next disaster! [2x]
I will pay you 100 bucks if you can find a person off the street that can't understand that.

Quote:
I consider this type of music an obnoxious, sometimes nihillistic, unrefined aggression. And, a degeneration of true rock music....For one thing "Death/Doom Metal" rarely has a good melody, if it has one at all. Also the lyrics hardly make any sense because they're all about satan and stupid shit like that. Maybe some of you can find meaning in these types of lyrics, but I cannot...However, if you consider Opeth a Death/Doom Metal band, I would probably be able to listen to a few songs..........
I will just give you my edit. I did on Myspace.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNB Edit.
Let me start out by saying that if you like rap because you actually like the music than no one can help you. Rap has barely any lyrical talent and absolutely no musical talent (They never make their own beats and when they do they sound like every other rap songs beats.) R@B has singing talent, well sort of, but lets not point any fingers towards untalented R@B singers. The only thing related to rap that I have respect for is Trip-hop because they actually make their own beats and do not reuse much.

Now for the big discussion......Why do people like mainstream rock? Well having expirence of being a "mainstreamer" I decided to right this article to you people who have not yet opened your eyes. Mainstream rock discussed on a forum that I was on is best described as, "Being a mainstream band just depends on how much **** they are willing to suck, and how much they are willing to sell out to make money." Now me being a Christian and everything tried to make it a little more appropriate because well lets say i don't like the use of such colorful language. So I tried tand tried to make it more appropriate, but the truth is that I could not do it. It is a perfect explanation for what mainstream rock really is.

So to tell you what I hate mainstream rock right now because of the talent that could be used, but people choose to sell out and make money. When I liked mainstream i basically progressed through each style. Starting at rock-and-roll to heavy metal, which by the way, is considered mainstream rock. My favorite mainstream bands at my heavy metal phase were System of a Down, Disturbed, Seether, and Coheed and Cambria. The only band I still partially like is Coheed and Cambria because of their newest album's guitar sound. Every one of those bands are sell outs because they each have chosen not to be talented to earn huge amounts of money and be credited by large amounts of fans.

While I was bored one day I turned on the on demand thing on cable and started watching the video for As I Lay Dying's song, "The Darkest Nights." It is truely an amazing song with absolutely amazing guitar riffs that I could not get out of my head, not to mention an incredibly catchy breakdown. Through the months I began picking more Metalcore and Post-Hardcore to listen to until I realized, "Why do people bother listening to somthing less talented and extremely boring than what I am listening to?" Many people respond in the following ways:

-"All they do is scream.....How is there any talent in that?"
-"You listen to people talk about cutting themselves."
-and my personal favorite, (loud screaming voice) "Satan, Satan, Satan....Thats all they talk about."

Wow what a biased way to talk about a kind of music you have never truely listened to. In fact the people that responded these ways probably don't know how to listen to music the right way. Also the cutting yourseld thing is not present in any music I listen to so I guess you are listening to emocore or somthing.

Now another subject that people tend to shy away from, Death Metal. People tend to have their first reaction be when hearing the word "Death Metal" as, "So you listen to people talk about death all day " or "That stuff is from satan." I sit and laugh all day at these poor responses everytime I hear them. Accroding to the article on wikipedia it states two possible origins to the word "Death Metal." One being that it is from a song that is by one of the starters of Death Metal called, "Death Metal." The other is that another starting group called "Death" is where death metal got its name from. Now in either of those theories did you hear, "killing people" or "dieing".

So basically if you have anything against me posting what I posted or anything that proves that mainstream is so talented than you can comment back or you can shut your mouth about me listening to death metal and you can go on listening to your emo, pop/rock, and heavy metal knowing that what you listened to is written by sellouts. So with that said C@C is greatly appreciated.
I hope you all enjoy my editorial.

Here is the actual link to the bold word phrase. Please keep in mind that it is not edited out. http://www.l9ianime.com/showpost.php...00&postcount=8

- Heraclitus

Last edited by RNB; 12-28-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:29 AM   #15
Takumi
Chuunin

^^Owned

He'll have to have real good arguments to counter that, which I doubt he has, I also doubt he'll even come back here, sooooo, time to talk about good bands again xD

know any other good death metal bands, maybe you could recommend some doom metal bands to me since I hardly know any.

btw, isn't your sig an image of anders friden?

Quote: