is gender nature or nurture - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section

Debates Section Enjoy a good discussion? This is the place for you! Only knowledgeable discussions allowed!

Old 12-11-2005, 12:45 AM   #1
~*ChizurU千鶴*~
aka Yuuki-Chama

~*ChizurU千鶴*~ is an unknown quantity at this point
is gender nature or nurture

First: difference between sex and gender
Sex is the biological characteristics that distinguish male and female
Gender is the social characteristics (behaviors, attitudes, values)

Second: difference between nature and nurture
Nature is something that is coded in your body
Nurture is something that was tought and trained (effected by ur enviroment)

so is gender nature or nurture?
~*ChizurU千鶴*~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2005, 01:32 AM   #2
itatchi tai
Genin

itatchi tai is an unknown quantity at this point
sex is nature, and gender is nurture..

you said that sex came from biological reasons, while gender came from social...

and nature was stated as something that is encoded in ones' body,.. body lies on biological/scientific aspects...

nurture based from what you've posted, is something that's trained and affected by the environment,...isn't it that our social life has something to do with the environment?....

UCHIHA ITACHI FC
1st HITSUGAYA FC
ICHIGO FC
FB FC

[...I am itatchi tai...and i really like HARU
my close friend,Mangekyou Rasengan,hi classmate!

MY BEST BUDDIES:

nelsonkong,hokge,Lilxvietxgurlx,uchiha14 12toshi,lapinky,yami youkai,haka,[Jin Kazama],Loz the Riotous,hillybobchavr,6 Naruto 6,Santoryu,MalevolentSasuke,Angelwings,c hibi-anbu,Kites,-sasuke-

my name may sound like a boys' name but it doesn't mean that i am a boy, the truth is i am a GIRL, i really admire itachi a lot that's why i named it after him..

MY SIS! : SASUKE GURL!
itatchi tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:40 AM   #3
~*ChizurU千鶴*~
aka Yuuki-Chama

yes but gender can also b nature...
e.g. males are naturally aggressive
Old 12-11-2005, 03:42 AM   #4
palmereap
Kage

palmereap has a spectacular aura aboutpalmereap has a spectacular aura aboutpalmereap has a spectacular aura aboutpalmereap has a spectacular aura about
gender is nature you can never truly cange that
palmereap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:45 AM   #5
Bubblezio
Chuunin

Bubblezio is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*ChizurU千鶴*~
yes but gender can also b nature...
e.g. males are naturally aggressive
from ur example...are males naturally aggressive only because the other males around them are more aggressive? people's personalities are based on environment right? so if other males around the boy were aggressive...this boy would tend to grow up to become more agressive...it'd be a cycle....
Old 12-11-2005, 04:23 AM   #6
~*ChizurU千鶴*~
aka Yuuki-Chama

*sigh* FINALLY finished typing:

The drama began in 1963, when 7-month-old identical twin boys were taken to a doctor for a routine circumcision. The inept physician, who was using a heated needle, turned the electric current too high and accidentally burned off the penis of one of the boys. You can imagine the parents’ disbelief—and then their horror—as the truth sank in.

what can be done in a situation like this? The damage was irreversible. The parents were told that their boy could never have sexual relations. After months of soul-searching and tearful consultations with experts, the parents decided that their son should have a sex-change operation. When he was 22 months old, surgeons castrated the boy, using the skin to construct a vagina. The parents then gave the child a new name, Brenda, dressed him in frilly clothing, let his hair grow long, and began to treat him as a girl. Later, physicians gave Brenda female steroids to promote female pubertal growth.

At first, the results were extremely promising. When the twins were 4 years old, the mother said (remember the children are biologically identical), One thing that really amazes me is that she is so feminine. I’ve never seen a little girl so neat and tidy. …She likes for me to wipe her face. She doesn’t like to be dirty, and yet my son is quite different. I can’t wash his face for anything …she is very proud of herself, when she puts on a new dress, or I set her hair….she seems to be daintier.

About a year later, the mother described how their daughter imitated her while their son copied his father: I found that my son, he shoes very masculine things like a fireman or a policeman…he wanted to do what daddy does, work where daddy does, and carry a lunch kit….[my daughter] didn’t want any of those things. She wants to be a doctor or a teacher….But none of the things that she ever wanted to be were like policeman or a fireman, and that sort of thing never appealed to her.

If the matter were this clear-cut, we could use this case to conclude that gender is entirely up to nurture. Seldom are thins in life so simple, however, and a twist occurs in this story. Despite this promising start and her parents’ coaching, Brenda did not adapt well to femininity. She preferred to mimic her father shaving rather than her mother putting on makeup. She rejected dolls and insisted on urinating standing up. Classmates teased her and called her a “cavewoman” because she walked like a boy. At age 14, she was expelled from school for beating up a girl who teased her. Despite estrogen treatment, she was not attracted to boys, and at age 14, in despair over her inner turmoil, she was thinking of suicide. In a tearful confrontation, her father told her about the accident and her sex change.

“All of a sudden, everything clicked. For the first time things made sense, and I understood who and what I was,” the twin says of this revelation. David (his new name) then had male hormone shots and later surgery to partially reconstruct a penis. At age 25, he married a woman and adopted her children. There is an unfortunate end to this story. In 2004, David committed suicide.

Last edited by ~*ChizurU千鶴*~; 12-11-2005 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:30 PM   #7
LightDreamer
Jounin

LightDreamer is on a distinguished road
[Btw I tried posting this last night but my internet got screwed up and erased it sooo yah]

Gender is nature.

There was a story, about 2 twin boys. When they went to the doctor to get the skin of the heads of their penises chopped off [I forgot what this was called] the doctor accidentally chopped one of the twin's penis off. Now a psychologist found out, and decided to do a test, to see if it would still work if he brought up the boy with the chopped off penis up as a girl. [the boy of course got surgery so he'd look more like a girl] Now when the 'boy' was at puberty the mom gave him 'vitamines' full of female hormones, so he'd grow boobs and stuff.

They went to the psychologist regularly, and the psychologist did tests on them, and tried to get them to differentiate the differences between guys and girls. Apparently the psychologist did really wierd stuff like make the two boys undress and look at each other.

So the 'boy' was put in dresses and treated like a girl, and such, but he still felt incredibly different, he felt like he didn't fit in, he didn't feel right. And he tried to be a normal girl but he couldn't, he wanted to play with his brother's friends, and wanted to do 'guy' stuff.

So eventually he went like suicidal and crazy, so his mom finally told him he's actually supposed to be a guy. ANd he was really angry, because they did this stupid experiment on him. SO he took a gun and tried to kill the doctor that cut off his penis, he eventually decided against it though. He had himself get a fake penis made. And he lived the rest of the life as a guy.

Thus proving the psychologist wrong, on his test to see whether a guy can be brought up a girl and still be normal.

Our gender is embedded into our genetic code, and if not physcially, its still there mentally.

EDIT: [Oops sorry didn't realize you already posted this story o.o COOL!]

--
If you gave me the letters hrt you could give me [ea] to get h[ea]rt or [u] to get h[u]rt, but I'd rather have hurt than a heart without [u]
- GOD I love that. You could give me a hundred thousand million years and I wouldn't have thought of that.

--
All this time I've spent trying to change into someone you would love, I didn't notice you changed into someone I can't love anymore. Goodbye My King .

---

The adulation of strangers.
LightDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:56 PM   #8
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

The drama began in 1963, when 7-month-old identical twin boys were taken to a doctor for a routine circumcision. The inept physician, who was using a heated needle, turned the electric current too high and accidentally burned off the penis of one of the boys. You can imagine the parents’ disbelief—and then their horror—as the truth sank in.

what can be done in a situation like this? The damage was irreversible. The parents were told that their boy could never have sexual relations. After months of soul-searching and tearful consultations with experts, the parents decided that their son should have a sex-change operation. When he was 22 months old, surgeons castrated the boy, using the skin to construct a vagina. The parents then gave the child a new name, Brenda, dressed him in frilly clothing, let his hair grow long, and began to treat him as a girl. Later, physicians gave Brenda female steroids to promote female pubertal growth.

At first, the results were extremely promising. When the twins were 4 years old, the mother said (remember the children are biologically identical), One thing that really amazes me is that she is so feminine. I’ve never seen a little girl so neat and tidy. …She likes for me to wipe her face. She doesn’t like to be dirty, and yet my son is quite different. I can’t wash his face for anything …she is very proud of herself, when she puts on a new dress, or I set her hair….she seems to be daintier.

About a year later, the mother described how their daughter imitated her while their son copied his father: I found that my son, he shoes very masculine things like a fireman or a policeman…he wanted to do what daddy does, work where daddy does, and carry a lunch kit….[my daughter] didn’t want any of those things. She wants to be a doctor or a teacher….But none of the things that she ever wanted to be were like policeman or a fireman, and that sort of thing never appealed to her.

If the matter were this clear-cut, we could use this case to conclude that gender is entirely up to nurture. Seldom are thins in life so simple, however, and a twist occurs in this story. Despite this promising start and her parents’ coaching, Brenda did not adapt well to femininity. She preferred to mimic her father shaving rather than her mother putting on makeup. She rejected dolls and insisted on urinating standing up. Classmates teased her and called her a “cavewoman” because she walked like a boy. At age 14, she was expelled from school for beating up a girl who teased her. Despite estrogen treatment, she was not attracted to boys, and at age 14, in despair over her inner turmoil, she was thinking of suicide. In a tearful confrontation, her father told her about the accident and her sex change.

“All of a sudden, everything clicked. For the first time things made sense, and I understood who and what I was,” the twin says of this revelation. David (his new name) then had male hormone shots and later surgery to partially reconstruct a penis. At age 25, he married a woman and adopted her children. There is an unfortunate end to this story. In 2004, David committed suicide.
That's the "John Joan" case, and you've got at least one thing wrong:
"One thing that really amazes me is that she is so feminine. I’ve never seen a little girl so neat and tidy. …She likes for me to wipe her face. She doesn’t like to be dirty, and yet my son is quite different. I can’t wash his face for anything …she is very proud of herself, when she puts on a new dress, or I set her hair….she seems to be daintier." His mother never said that, Dr. Money lied to make it look like his experiment was succesful.

Gender is NATURE. No question about it.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:29 PM   #9
Makoto_Duke_War_IV
ANBU

Makoto_Duke_War_IV is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

*yawn* Been heard about that...

Anyway gender is nature

Midori Cache Aoi Cache Chairo Cache

Makoto_Duke_War_IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:43 PM   #10
g4ara
Chuunin

g4ara is an unknown quantity at this point
its got both nature and nuture .
Old 12-11-2005, 09:24 PM   #11
DarkAztek
Sand Man

DarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to all
Gender is purely nurture. Take tribes in Africa where being "masculine" is to be more stereotypically feminine in our own culture. The women there are more masculine by our standards. Any sociological text or psychological text you study will tell you that. There is no debate.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/HookerBodyShots/shark.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[center][b]Filler content[/b][/center]
DarkAztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:50 PM   #12
Inuzuka_Riyo
Jounin

Inuzuka_Riyo will become famous soon enoughInuzuka_Riyo will become famous soon enoughInuzuka_Riyo will become famous soon enough
your sex (i.e. male or female) is genetic, due to having x or y chromosome. however, gender is the role that societies place on one's sex that would identify a sex-male or female fit a specific gender role. first of all, there are other genetic "sexes" out there, as in xxy, xxyy, xxxy, and so on (some are not so uncommon), and in some tribes, there are third genders. people think that gender and your biological make-up go hand in hand, but that is a stereotypical societal "norm" that we either consciously or unconsciously place on a male or female. and the reason that men are more aggressive than women has roots in biology, because men have a natually higher level of testosterone (duh) and lower levels of seratonin which are both chemicals that are incharge of aggressiveness and other emotions associated with that. (FYI, one theory of why there are less women serial killers than men is because they natually have a higher level of seratonin - about 30 percent higher that men - so their aggressiveness is kept at a much lower level than men.....which is genetic and not gender associated, since gender is not genetic).

I can go more in-depth if u'd like, but i don't think u'd want to read it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
RIZZY SPEAKS TRUTH
Inuzuka_Riyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:06 AM   #13
haronusman
Genin

haronusman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: is gender nature or nurture

I took Sociology last semester and it was hell. So much of memorizing things, but I've learned a lot things including this topic. Gender is Nurture,and Sex is Nature. Our environment,neighbors,friends,parents,re latives,surroundings, will influence us and it is a very big part of us. example? Gender can change over time. how? Imagine you have a son, but you always work and your wife always take cares of your son and she always bring him to the beauty parlor most of the day/week because she works there. what you think your son's gender will be like later on after few years having the same routine?

We tend to like to avoid bringing back dead threads... However this one might spark up some good debate and you did add a bit of new information. I'll let it slide this time. ;-) ~DA

Last edited by DarkAztek; 06-04-2007 at 12:32 AM.
haronusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:18 AM   #14
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

He'll be a metrosexual (by the old definition) and in touch with "his feminine side".

As I said a year and a half ago, gender is nature.

Here's a link to the Wikipedia page for "John Joan", whom I mentioned at the same time and who's real name is David Reimer.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:14 PM   #15
Nexus
Susano'o Legend

Nexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant future

I'll say that gender is nature all the way. It was meant for us to be.

[
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote