Laptop Operation <Hardware Freaks needed!> - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Computers

Computers Need help with a problem, or just want to talk about computers? Then this is the place to do that.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:00 PM   #1
Teny
Hunter-Nin

Teny is an unknown quantity at this point
Laptop Operation <Hardware Freaks needed!>

Ok, most of you know who I am, so let's not waste time and get to it.
I'm thinking about opening up my laptop, and I will, as you see, it's an old Compaq laptop, with Windows XP Home Edition on it, made in 2002 I believe.
Now, I want to open it for three reasons.
1. To figure out why the DVD-ROM Drive won't work( As in it wouldn't be recognized with I put a disc in there)
2. To find out why it overheats so damn much and to stop it.
3. To see if there's anything I can do to fix it in general.
Now, I need to be told how to do this without breaking the thing, since I've already suceeded in taking away most of the screws at the bottom, and I began to open it.
I heard a few cracks and little noises, but I assume that this is normal, as things are inclipping and what not.
Now, I stopped when the KEYBOARD became ann issue.
The laptop was basically seperating into two parts, when this happens I am screwed, as it opens up one way, thing of one of those older school desks, that open up with lifted, to reveal the little space inside, think of the keyboard as the part you life up, but when you do this, the bottom is pushed downwards to the point where you think something's going to break off.
Now, I don't want to break it, so what do you think I do?
I'll post pictures here of my progress if you like.

These are Jamie-chans moves, not for yoouu
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
naruto18
Chuunin

naruto18 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have to see the what u arr doing in order to help u fix it

memechan, kitty, Uchiha1412Toshi, Sasuke Gurl, angelwings, lilxvietxgurl, Fullmoon, _hinata_, Sakura, azumi149, Aburame-Shino, 6_Naruto_6, Shadowwolf, supersharingan18, gaaraofthedeathsand, Shikamaru_IQ

naruto18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #3
DarkAztek
Sand Man

DarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to all
You might just want to take it to a technition... If you open it up, you violate the warranty and won't get any help.

1.) That could just be some faulty wiring. Did you spill anything on there recently? Jam it closed too quickly?

2.) You probably need to clean it. Buy yourself a can of compressed air and dust off the air vents. (What type of Compaq is it? I can tell you the information about its cooling system if you tell me that much.) Also, make sure you don't have anything under it other than a desk when you use it. Cloth and paper can make it heat up much quicker.

3.) Well what is wrong? You need spyware and/or virus and/or malware help? That is a different ball park and I can tell you what to do if you tell me more.

4.) Keyboard broken? You need a new one.

Seriously, just take it to the Best Buy Geek Squad. It might be a bit expensive, but they will make it a zillion times better and get the job done. It is worth it.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/HookerBodyShots/shark.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[center][b]Filler content[/b][/center]
DarkAztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:41 PM   #4
Teny
Hunter-Nin

No.
Lmao
The keyboar's not really brokejn, I just type too fast and too hard on it and I polished all the keys, and then I need to open it upo, where do I get a can of compressed air?
o_o
and do I jiust spray that into the thing?
Like into the air vents?
Or does it like condense once it gets inside?
You know, I don't thionk that I jammed it too hard or anything, but I didn't spill anything on it.
BUt I did trip over a network cable one day and then it fell.
o_0
The laptop is fine other than the drive not working.
What kind of Compaq?
It's...
well it has an Athlon 64 processor I believe, and it says Presario 900 on it but that might just be the screen type.
Yes, I plan to open it up and stop it from overheating, and then to also see if I can fix the DVD drive.
But I mean it's already kind of opened..
and I have no warranty for the thing, well I mean it expired already,
and it's from the UK, and I'm in Canada now..

Old 01-14-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
DarkAztek
Sand Man

DarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to all
1.) Compressed air can be bought at any computer service place. Go to a Best Buy or a CompUSA or a Radio Shack or anything like that.

2.) It is compressed AIR. As in, it is AIR. You stick this little tube near the vents (with the can NOT upside down, kthxbai) and spray. Tons of dust and dirt will come off. Stick the nozzle INTO the vents and spray and more dust will fly out. Keep doing this to get rid of all the grime that is making your computer overheat.

3.) You probably can't fix the DVD drive yourself. Seek professional help for that. Seriously.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/HookerBodyShots/shark.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[center][b]Filler content[/b][/center]
DarkAztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 01:35 PM   #6
Teny
Hunter-Nin

Yo, like, add me on MSN.
Right now.
Lmao
But if not, like I need to do it myself since I don't fancy like bringing it somewhere, but yeah, like the thing is like.. what is wrong..
When I put a disc into the drive(it opens now) it's not recognized.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
Rockshmo
Vizual Assassin

Rockshmo is an unknown quantity at this point
It could be software issues and not hardware. That or something happened with the drive's laser. Only reasons I could see it not reading a disc.

Also it's wise to take DarkAztek's advice, trust me, if you don't want your laptop broken.. DON'T do it yourself. Not trying to be harsh or anything, but if you don't know what Compressed Air is or where to get it, you definitely shouldn't be opening/trying to open your laptop.

And yeah.. the warranty is something to think about as well.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #8
Teny
Hunter-Nin

And yeah, blah blah.
The warranty is dead.
Has been for almot 3 years now.
And also, the DVD drive is detachable, and I took it out while the laptop was on, and it knew that the drive was gone, however, when I put it back in, there was nothing, as I think that the area for the drive is slightly out of synch, the top part of the laptop and the bottom, so I need to try and fix that, but I did hear that kinda bell sound when I took the drive out.
So, the laser, when I was looking at the drive, the problem is that.. well not sure if this is a problem or not but when I opened up the drive, what I saw was that the laser, it was able to move up and down, as in in the little slidey part where it's located, you can move the lense up a little bit, inside of it's little metal square.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
shadowclone
Genbu

shadowclone is just really niceshadowclone is just really niceshadowclone is just really niceshadowclone is just really niceshadowclone is just really niceshadowclone is just really niceshadowclone is just really nice
Dude....you fucked up your DVD drive =/

So true.

shadowclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:58 PM   #10
Rockshmo
Vizual Assassin

Rockshmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Please for the sake of your life tell me you didn't directly touch the lense...
Old 01-19-2006, 08:59 PM   #11
shadowclone
Genbu

shadowclone is just really niceshadowclone is just really niceshadowclone is just really niceshadowclone is just really niceshadowclone is just really niceshadowclone is just really niceshadowclone is just really nice
He probably touch it with his oily fingers. =0

So true.

Old 01-19-2006, 10:19 PM   #12
Matonly1T
ANBU

Matonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these parts
Teny......... seek professional help lol. Im afraid to turn my laptop on because my dogs peed on it so much lol xD. It was pretty bad though less than 1 gig and really low ram so no big loss

Co-Owner
Matonly1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:41 PM   #13
H_I
Jounin

H_I Pure EvilH_I Pure EvilH_I Pure EvilH_I Pure EvilH_I Pure EvilH_I Pure EvilH_I Pure EvilH_I Pure EvilH_I Pure EvilH_I Pure EvilH_I Pure Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teny
Ok, most of you know who I am, so let's not waste time and get to it.
I'm thinking about opening up my laptop, and I will, as you see, it's an old Compaq laptop, with Windows XP Home Edition on it, made in 2002 I believe.
Now, I want to open it for three reasons.
1. To figure out why the DVD-ROM Drive won't work( As in it wouldn't be recognized with I put a disc in there)
2. To find out why it overheats so damn much and to stop it.
3. To see if there's anything I can do to fix it in general.
Now, I need to be told how to do this without breaking the thing, since I've already suceeded in taking away most of the screws at the bottom, and I began to open it.
I heard a few cracks and little noises, but I assume that this is normal, as things are inclipping and what not.
Now, I stopped when the KEYBOARD became ann issue.
The laptop was basically seperating into two parts, when this happens I am screwed, as it opens up one way, thing of one of those older school desks, that open up with lifted, to reveal the little space inside, think of the keyboard as the part you life up, but when you do this, the bottom is pushed downwards to the point where you think something's going to break off.
Now, I don't want to break it, so what do you think I do?
I'll post pictures here of my progress if you like.

Take a pic of the Lappy the way you have it now. Post it, but make sure you show all the details of what you took apart and how the inside looks. Imight be able to walk it thorugh with you. NOt promising you anything, but I do PC/laptop work as a side job.
H_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:10 PM   #14
shadowclone
Genbu

Its a lost cause HI. =/
He once asked me what a LAN cable is. *shakes head*

So true.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:14 PM   #15
naruto18
Chuunin

naruto18 is an unknown quantity at this point
LAN he did not know what that means

memechan, kitty, Uchiha1412Toshi, Sasuke Gurl, angelwings, lilxvietxgurl, Fullmoon, _hinata_, Sakura, azumi149, Aburame-Shino, 6_Naruto_6, Shadowwolf, supersharingan18, gaaraofthedeathsand, Shikamaru_IQ

naruto18 is offline   Reply With Quote