Marijuana - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section

Debates Section Enjoy a good discussion? This is the place for you! Only knowledgeable discussions allowed!

Old 08-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
xxMESTxx
EffYouSeeKay

xxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enough
Marijuana

Title speaks for itself. What are your views on this subject? Are you for, or against it?

As a recreational user, I am all for Marijuana. My entire childhood growing up, I was always taught/told that it was bad, horrible actually, and was basically led to believe that it was just a drug. Like crack, heroin, meth etc, and labeled anybody who used it as a piece of trash junkie. Obviously I was young and naive to pretty much everything at the time. Flash forward to 16, I'm working as a 3rd shift cook (9pm-7am) at the Waffle House, encountering all sorts of drunken assholes, crack heads, you name it. Yet I never came across a belligerent or out of line "pot head", in fact, every single one of them came in with red eyes, a big smile, and a seemingly bottomless stomach.

Eventually I got curious, and a co-worker asked me to cover for her while she went out back and "smoked", and I asked if I could come along. So I "helped" her take the trash out, and we went behind the dumpster, she lit up a joint, and I hit it twice. I hurried back inside because nobody was in their, and someone had to be in case the phone rang. I wasn't feeling anything yet when a car pulled up, with two older ladies in it. I was the waiter that day, and as soon as I started putting the silverware on the table, bam! It hits me. I felt ecstatic, like I was floating, everything was fucking hysterical. It was overall a good experience. I ended up practically flirting with those two old ladies, and they left me a ten dollar tip.

After that, I found a way to get a bag of my own, and just like that became a recreational smoker.

The next year, at 17 I decided to take a trip down to Florida to see a lot of my old friends, and was hanging out with a girl I used to date, we were parked out in the middle of nowhere in the woods, so we would have our privacy. I had just worked a 3rd shift (10 hours) then left as soon as I got off work and drove down(9 hours) and had been up for however long just hanging out. I was exhausted, me and this girl had plans to go pick some of our friends up from school (she ditched that day) and we had over an hour to kill..so after our "activities" we set an alarm and passed out in the back seat of my car. Well we were awaken by a cop pounding on my window, and all I can think is "oh fuck.." so I roll the window down, they asked us to get dressed and step outside of the vehicle. Told me she smelled marijuana, she wanted to search the car. Me thinking I was being smart, acted totally cool with it and was like, Yeah, sure!" thinking they wouldn't call my bluff, and decide not to waste there time. Nope, found my bowl, and .03g. They ended up giving the girl a ride home, straight to her parents door, and explained what happened and who it was with, and in a separate car tool me to the police station, where I had to call the only family I had in the area..My grandma. She came and they let me go, but put both those charges on me, made me go to court, and ended up having to do like 55 hours of community service, drug related "workbooks", write 3 different essays, and attend a 3 month long "drug school" which at the end of, I had to take a drug test.

Those were a long 3 months. I did get the charges dropped all together, but lets just say I got a taste of how crooked our system is in regards to Marijuana.

Being a user, I've encountered many stereotypes, and a lot of hate against the herb.

I just don't understand it myself, but I'm biased. I just don't get how people can ignore the good it does and the beneficial medicinal uses for it. How can so many people hate something that does so much good?

The link below, provides 150+ pages of medical cannabis studies.
http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-m...ence-list.html

I ask again, are you for or against, and why?

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -M. K. Gandhi
xxMESTxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xxMESTxx For This Useful Post:
apacolypz (08-07-2012), Human Rasengan (08-09-2012), Miburo (08-06-2012), Numinous (08-07-2012), T9F (08-06-2012), Vishnu (08-27-2012)

Old 08-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Vengeance
Death Scythe

Thanked 9,331 Times in 4,060 Posts
Vengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud of
Re: Marijuana

Well I'm all for the legalization of all drugs not limited to Marijuana. People should have the right to do what they want with their own body so long as they're not a danger to others. With things like Alcohol, Tobacco, & Caffeine being legal with no need for a proscription in order to obtain these drugs there's no legitimate reason why Marijuana should be illegal. All of the above mentioned drugs are worse for your health when compared to Marijuana. Marijuana has the potential to become a multi-billion dollar industry that would be taxable by the government. The Altria Group should jump at this potential gold mine sooner rather than later.

Monster brawl brought to you by Claymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liondemon View Post
Yeah vengeance, if i could giuve rep to your o so epic post too i would, but unfortunately I have already repped your greatness already so i cannot either. Just wanted u to know im on your cock now too
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOTKorby View Post
FOOLS! Time is no obstacle for utter lunacy! Reality is but an illusion that can be ignored if the insane demand it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by batonnoir View Post
1) There may well be some literary or map correlation between the Uzumaki and Ireland.
Check out this awesome manga called Magi.

Wanna join me come and play, but I mite shoot you in your face. Bombs and bullets will do the trick. What we need here is a little bit of panic! ~ Get Jinxed
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vengeance For This Useful Post:
apacolypz (08-07-2012), Human Rasengan (08-09-2012), Miburo (08-06-2012), Numinous (08-07-2012), T9F (08-06-2012), xxMESTxx (08-08-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
Well I'm all for the legalization of all drugs not limited to Marijuana. People should have the right to do what they want with their own body so long as they're not a danger to others. With things like Alcohol, Tobacco, & Caffeine being legal with no need for a proscription in order to obtain these drugs there's no legitimate reason why Marijuana should be illegal. All of the above mentioned drugs are worse for your health when compared to Marijuana. Marijuana has the potential to become a multi-billion dollar industry that would be taxable by the government. The Altria Group should jump at this potential gold mine sooner rather than later.
Proof? My understanding is that there is a lack of health studies on marijuana as a whole, so don't know we can say this. Caffeine is relatively safe, tobacco relies heavily on amount of use, though has a definite link to cancer and alcohol is actually beneficial in smaller quantities, and it is the route of consumption and amount that makes it deadly.

I would not be surprised that marijuana smoking or consumption does have health risks - burning of plant materials usually does - and a legalized, mass produced form would probably end up with the same issues as tobacco, which is more harmful in its processed form.

Personally, don't care what people do to their bodies so long as they are prepared to pay for the consequences. I live with Universal Health Care but if people are willing to sign a waiver to engage in practices their doctors deem unnecessarily harmful (bad diets, high risk sports, dangerous addictive drugs) that they are willing to pay for any associated health care costs, then I'm cool with it.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Mal (08-07-2012), Miburo (08-06-2012), Numinous (08-07-2012), T9F (08-06-2012), xxMESTxx (08-08-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

There are a metric shit-ton of links in the OP. I just clicked on a bunch at random to see if they worked, and scrolled through a couple to see if they were sourced, and they looked okay to me. It being safer than caffeine obviously seems the most dubious, and the only link I found in there that mentions caffeine is talking about pregnant chicks. But that would just boil down to nitpickery, so meh. But yeah, I'm sure some pothead will post a barrage of links from his favorites folder momentarily, haha.

As someone who doesn't partake in sweet, sweet recreational drug use because I'm lame, I'm still for marijuana legalization like any non-stupid person should be. Not only for the personal FREEDOM reason that has already been hit on, but because it's just a waste of fucking money and manpower and it being illegal ruins people's lives far more than smoking pot ever would otherwise for most users.

I'd rather cops be working towards preventing actual harmful crimes than devoting tons of resources playing as the fun police. I'd rather not see young adults overpopulating our jails and having their lives perma-fucked by having criminal records just because they were caught with too much relatively harmless dried grass shit in their pockets.

Only people that benefit from our current system are DEA cops and our privately run prisons. Actually would bet both those groups are the main lobbyists for marijuana criminalization, but that's just me guessing. Maybe tobacco, since pot seems way more awesome than shitty regular smoking. I dunno.

I'm guessing driving high isn't the safest shit ever, but that's something different. DUI shit should apply to all that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACt View Post
Personally, don't care what people do to their bodies so long as they are prepared to pay for the consequences. I live with Universal Health Care but if people are willing to sign a waiver to engage in practices their doctors deem unnecessarily harmful (bad diets, high risk sports, dangerous addictive drugs) that they are willing to pay for any associated health care costs, then I'm cool with it.
Just out of curiosity, what would constitute as unnecessarily harmful in your opinion? Like bat-shit crazy stuff like chocolate cake only diet and chain-saw juggling? Or stuff like not eating enough veggies and manly grappling? My crappy country doesn't have GLORIOUS UHC, so I dunno what it's like. I hope one day soon my country stops sucking and gets with the rest of the first world, but I'd be sad if they penalized a dude for doing some manly grappling. = (

Edit: Oh, TC, I would have posted in this thread sooner but I can't imagine too many people being opposed to marijuana legalization. I bet even total retards like HR support it. No JEBUS involved to shut down people's ability to use simple reasoning, no ridiculously old people posting here (I'm talking crazy, at least double ACT's age old) terrified of change, etc. Figured this would just be a massive circle-jerk. Which is cool, just remember you have to use two hands now that I'm here.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
ACt (08-07-2012), apacolypz (08-07-2012), Human Rasengan (08-09-2012), Mal (08-07-2012), Numinous (08-07-2012), T9F (08-06-2012), Vanity (08-17-2012), xxMESTxx (08-08-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
T9F
OOOH CHAMPAGNE

Thanked 1,124 Times in 407 Posts
T9F will become famous soon enoughT9F will become famous soon enoughT9F will become famous soon enough

To hop on the train of legalizing marijuana (Mibs is right, this is probably just going to be a huge circle of freedom loving posts), the only real health concern I can see it producing would be, obviously, the burning of the mouth and throat from breathing in smoke. Some studies show that there are equal amounts/more carcinogens in marijuana than in tobacco. This site says 50-70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke (and also has other reasons why it can be bad for you. But it also says on there that you can get addicted to marijuana, which is false, so it was clearly written by someone who is against it. So fuck that guy and his anti-freedom). And, it's the smoke that contains any potential carcinogens, so if you really want to avoid them, you can just cook it in brownies or other tasty snacks.

But, whatever, tobacco is legal, so people should be able to choose whether or not they want to take the risk of using it or not.

I think this is probably the only sort of, but not really, acceptable reason people could use to argue against legalizing the drug. There are other things on that site that I linked to that talk about how it "impairs coordination, distorts perception, causes difficulty in thinking and problem solving, problems with memory, etc" but I don't see how any of those are much different from alcohol consumption.

And there are always the people that will cry "But it's a gateway drug! Marijuana now, METH later!" But I know a hell of a lot of people who smoke weed and have not abused any other drug. So that's a grasping at straws kind of defense. Which is lame.

Edit: To add no context to this at all,

Last edited by T9F; 08-06-2012 at 11:00 PM.
T9F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to T9F For This Useful Post:
apacolypz (08-07-2012), Human Rasengan (08-09-2012), Mal (08-07-2012), Miburo (08-07-2012), Numinous (08-07-2012), Vanity (08-17-2012), xxMESTxx (08-08-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
stubborn_d0nkey
Kage

Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,129 Posts
stubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the rough

Legalize, regulate and tax it.

I'm not really for doing the same same way for stronger drugs, though I wouldnt be against all forms of allowing them but it would have to be (very) strict IMO.

I do think one possible obstacle to restriction (or at least something that will help the it be legalized if solved) is the lack of a methood to quickly (and relatively cheaply) detect its presence in a person, like we have for alcohol.

Since I'm already making a comparison with alcohol let me continue it with driving. I dont know if this is truly true, but from my experience marijuana is not as dangerous as alcohol, personally I'd probably put really really having to urinate as more dangerous at least when it comes to the driver hitting something or similar stuff. Though I do see how high drivers could disrupting traffic

This might not be the same for all types of marijuana or for all people, but from my experience marijuana causes drivers to drive at slower speeds than they would if they were uninfluenced. Another thing is that it causes them to percieve things as being closer than they truly are which could be dangerous if the driver behind them is driving too close/isnt paying that much attention since it could cause the high drivers to brake early and seemingly unpredictably,though the driving slower part helps relieve some of the danger and such braking probably isnt very quick braking, but it would definitely be disruptive.

Like I said, I cant be sure if this is true for aall types of marijuana and for all people, but this is what I've experienced.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quotes for noobs (learn how to break up a quote)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future
So you can post the second bit and i shouldnt be allowed to if i dont tell you? Why be so rude?

Anyways, here is a quotes for noobs guide

1. A basic quote

[*QUOTE][*/QUOTE]

(the * need to be removed for it to work, I put them in so you can see the text) is a basic quote that just wraps something in a quote without saying who quoted it who quoted so

[*QUOTE]this is a quote[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
this is a quote

Edit: there is a button for this, it looks like a speech bubble. If you select text and then press the button the selected text will automatically be wrapped with the quote tag

2. A quote that says who said it

[*QUOTE=who said it][*/QUOTE] this adds who said the post, manually putting that there can be useful when quoting something external. Example:

[*QUOTE=Mangastream]Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangastream
Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us
3. A quote that says who said it and links to the post where it was said

[*QUOTE=who said it;X][*/QUOTE]

Where X is the post number.

For the post that i originally quoted it would look like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]

That is what you get when you press the quote button.

4. Breaking up a quote

Now that you know how quotes work it all boils down to preference, how you want it to look like and how you want to do it.

One way of doing it is copying the latter part of the original quote [*/QUOTE] and then pasting it after each section you break up, write your reply, choose the text you want then paste it after that portion, repeat till you finish the go back and copy then paste the first part of the text at the beginning of each portion of text. Of course you can immediately copy and paste both parts of a poste so that you dont forget one in the end.

The end result would be something like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which without any * would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4

Another way of doing it would be to cut and paste the second part of the quote tag after the first section of text you want to seperate then write your reply select the second part and hit he quote button (it looks like a text bubble),if you do that without anything else the end result would be

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4

To make it like the previous example (which wpuld be preferred, though not necessary ) copy the part that says who posted with the link to the post and paste it accordingly to the proper part in each first half of each quote tag. In my I would copy =minato uchiha;2118164 and paste it where the # is
[*QUOTE#] to get [*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] (of course with the * removed)

Of course you can use any other method you like to get to the end result, but now that you know what the end rwsult looks like I think there shouldnt be any problems

Last edited by stubborn_d0nkey; 08-07-2012 at 07:23 AM.
stubborn_d0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stubborn_d0nkey For This Useful Post:
Human Rasengan (08-09-2012), Miburo (08-07-2012), xxMESTxx (08-08-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

For those interested, see how the liberalization of drug use can benefit society. If you're felling lazy:
Quote:
  • Increased uptake of treatment.[8]
  • Reduction in HIV diagnoses amongst drug users by 17%[15]
  • Reduction in drug related deaths, although this reduction has decreased in later years, and the number of drug related deaths is now almost on the same level as before the Drug strategy was implemented.[8][15] However, this may be accounted for by improvement in measurement practices, which includes a doubling of toxicological autopsies now being performed, meaning that more drugs related deaths are likely to be recorded.[16]
  • Reported lifetime use of "all illicit drugs" increased from 7.8% to 12%, lifetime use of cannabis increased from 7.6% to 11.7%, cocaine use more than doubled, from 0.9% to 1.9%, ecstasy nearly doubled from 0.7% to 1.3%, and heroin increased from 0.7% to 1.1%[15] It has been proposed that this effect may have been related to the candor of interviewees, who may have been inclined to answer more truthfully due to a reduction in the stigma associated with drug use.[16] However, during the same period, the use of heroin and cannabis also increased in Spain and Italy, where drugs for personal use was decriminalised many years earlier than in Portugal [16][17]while the use of Cannabis and heroin decreased in the rest of Western Europe.[18][19]
  • Drug use among adolescents (13-15 yrs) and "problematic" users declined.[16]
  • Drug-related criminal justice workloads decreased [16]
  • Decreased street value of most illicit drugs, some significantly.[16]

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Last edited by Numinous; 08-07-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Numinous For This Useful Post:
Human Rasengan (08-09-2012), Miburo (08-07-2012), T9F (08-07-2012), xxMESTxx (08-08-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

I'll be honest - I saw that the links were put up in a forum called Grasscity, so I ignored all of them. Didn't strike me as the best bias for the discussion. And to my point, there is some work, but I wouldn't call any of it expansive. PubMed search of "marijuana health" and "tobacco health" gives a score of roughly 4800 to 24500 (and many of the marijuana articles will look at benefits). We are not at an exhaustive search of the effects of marijuana. It took years for research to finally make the link strong between tobacco and cancer (I actually got the meet the dude to was at the head of it... when he was 90+!), I can only suspect we'll see a similar thing with marijuana.

T9F - I've also seen the info that there are more carcinogens released from the burning of marijuana than tobacco, but that can be misleading. How potent are the carcinogens and how much does the smoker receive? These things matter.

Miburo - I would say in terms of food, if a doctor recommends that your eating practices are unhealthy are you are headed or at obesity, diabetes or any form of malnutrition and you must change and you don't, you should pay for your health care related issues to that until you shape up. I think Japan has something similar to that.

As for activities, I'm talking willful dangerous stuff like freebase climbing, drunk driving, being in a violent gang. There's a current push by my government to get people to pay for emergency services when they aren't necessary, i.e. call an ambulance because you twisted your ankle, call an emergency rescue helicopter because you're camping in the bush and your dog got diarrhoea (this actually happened). If you do shit like this, the government thinks you should foot the bill to A) relieve a bit of strain on the cost of running these things and B) stop people for overreacting. Too many people rush to the emergency room for the sniffles and it really needs to stop.

Yeah, accidents happen so we aren't going to stop sports in which you may break your arm or whatever, but when you do something that is deliberately dangerous or reckless when you could easily have more safety (riding your bike without a helmet because "my hair will get messed up"), you have the freedom but should pay for it. People need to take more responsibility.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Human Rasengan (08-09-2012), Mal (08-07-2012), Miburo (08-07-2012), T9F (08-08-2012), Vanity (08-17-2012), xxMESTxx (08-08-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I would say in terms of food, if a doctor recommends that your eating practices are unhealthy are you are headed or at obesity, diabetes or any form of malnutrition and you must change and you don't, you should pay for your health care related issues to that until you shape up. I think Japan has something similar to that.

As for activities, I'm talking willful dangerous stuff like freebase climbing, drunk driving, being in a violent gang. There's a current push by my government to get people to pay for emergency services when they aren't necessary, i.e. call an ambulance because you twisted your ankle, call an emergency rescue helicopter because you're camping in the bush and your dog got diarrhoea (this actually happened). If you do shit like this, the government thinks you should foot the bill to A) relieve a bit of strain on the cost of running these things and B) stop people for overreacting. Too many people rush to the emergency room for the sniffles and it really needs to stop.

Yeah, accidents happen so we aren't going to stop sports in which you may break your arm or whatever, but when you do something that is deliberately dangerous or reckless when you could easily have more safety (riding your bike without a helmet because "my hair will get messed up"), you have the freedom but should pay for it. People need to take more responsibility.
Here is an article about Japan's maximum waist size policy. In short, companies and local governments are responsible for ensuring employees and citizens over the age of 40 are within a "healthy" waist measurement. Anyone over the limit is given healthy living advice and checked up on regularly to ensure they are losing weight. Companies and governments that do not meet specified goals in the next few years will pay financial penalties.

I think increasing tax on certain, obviously unhealthy foods would be more effective than adjusting people's healthcare costs by examining their diet. It could be much too difficult to prove the contents of a person's diet if needed. Additional tax on unhealthy food would not only increase available funding for healthcare, but it would help encourage healthy eating to begin with by not making it so cost prohibitive.

Manitoba already charges for all unnecessary ambulance rides. Not because of people calling an ambulance because they're feeling a little under the weather, but because the downtown drunken Natives kept calling up 911 for rides. Once the ambulance got them to the hospital they'd hop out, say "I feel fine now" and go about their business as though the ambulance was a taxi.

As for marijuana, I have to disagree that it's "less harmful" than caffeine, because I believe that caffeine is beneficial (as well as alcohol) in proper amounts. Otherwise, I agree with most everything concerning its legalization.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
ACt (08-07-2012), Human Rasengan (08-09-2012), Miburo (08-07-2012), T9F (08-08-2012), xxMESTxx (08-08-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

That waist-size thing seems pretty stupid, mostly because of the waist-size part though. Why not just measure body fat? It takes a little longer than throwing a measuring tape around someone's waist, but not that much longer. And it's only slightly more difficult to calculate too. But WAY more accurate in regards to figuring out who is a fatty and who isn't.

People being punished for being excessively unhealthy (Fatties), doing blatantly stupid things like drunk driving, and abusing the system by being douche bags (Ambulance taxis) all seems okay to me. Not sure I'd be super keen on paying extra for the occasional cupcake just because fatties eat them by the ham-fist full, especially when you can just punish the fatties directly (Though, in reality, I wouldn't care about having to pay a few cents more for the occasional dessert or fast food burger). Besides, all the fatties would just learn how to bake their own massive amounts of cupcakes from scratch, or would just fry all their food themselves, etc. Just seems like it'd be too easy to work around unless they start taxing sugar and oil and crap too.

Not that it matters to me. America, fuck yeah!
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
Mal (08-07-2012), T9F (08-08-2012), Vanity (08-17-2012), xxMESTxx (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #11
T9F
OOOH CHAMPAGNE

Thanked 1,124 Times in 407 Posts
T9F will become famous soon enoughT9F will become famous soon enoughT9F will become famous soon enough

Quote:
T9F - I've also seen the info that there are more carcinogens released from the burning of marijuana than tobacco, but that can be misleading. How potent are the carcinogens and how much does the smoker receive? These things matter.
Page 79 shows thirty-three carcinogens marijuana smoke and tobacco smoke have in common, and compares them in microgram per cigarette.

If you don't want to scroll down 79 pages, because I know I sure wouldn't,
I took a screen shot for you <3

This is what the chart is referring to:
Quote:
3.3.7 Comparison of Marijuana and Tobacco Smoke
Marijuana and tobacco smoke share many characteristics, as they are both complex gaseous and particulate mixtures formed from the burning of plant material. Both mixtures contain products of pyrolysis and incomplete combustion, as well as compounds released unchanged from the starting plant material. The primary differences between the two mixtures are that cannabinoids and cannabinoid-derived products are present only in marijuana smoke and nicotine and nicotine-derived products are present only in tobacco smoke (Hoffmann et al., 1975). Other than cannabinoid- and nicotine-derived compounds, comparisons of the individual chemical constituents of marijuana smoke with those in tobacco smoke indicate that the two smokes are
qualitatively very similar, although quantitative differences in the levels of individual chemical constituents were apparent (Moir et al., 2008; Lee et al., 1976, Hoffman et al., 1975).

The particle size distributions of marijuana and tobacco smoke are similar, with the mass median aerodynamic diameter of marijuana smoke particulates ranging from 0.35 to 0.43 µm, compared to 0.38 µm for tobacco smoke particulate (Hiller et al., 1984). This same study found that particle number and mass was greater in marijuana smoke than in tobacco smoke, and that
marijuana smoke particle number and mass concentration increased as ∆^9-THC concentration increased.

As discussed in Section 3.3.1 Pharmacokinetics and Metabolism, Wu et al. (1988) determined that 80.7 to 86.7% of the inhaled resinous total particulate matter (i.e., tar) in marijuana smoke would be deposited in the human lung. Using the same experimental methodology, these authors
determined that 64.0% of tobacco smoke tar would be deposited in the lung. Taskin et al. (2002) compared the expected lung deposition of tar from equivalent amounts of burned marijuana and tobacco plant materials, and estimated that the amount of marijuana smoke tar deposited in the
lungs would be approximately four times greater than the amount of tobacco smoke tar.

The increased amount of tar deposited in the lungs from smoking equal amounts of marijuana, as compared with tobacco, may partly be due to differences in the way the two substances are smoked. Marijuana cigarettes (joints) and pipes are non-filtered and are smoked by taking longer puffs (larger puff volume) and holding the smoke in the lungs for a longer duration than tobacco cigarettes (Taskin et al., 2002). These smoking differences will also result in a greater absorption of marijuana smoke constituents into the lungs and aerodigestive tract than with
tobacco smoke.

The total volume of smoke inhaled by typical marijuana smokers may be quite different than the quantity inhaled by typical tobacco smokers, however. For example, smoking two to three packs of tobacco cigarettes per day (40 to 60 cigarettes) has been historically common in the U.S.,
while the number of marijuana cigarettes smoked per day has been considerably lower. Also, as the Δ^9-THC content in marijuana has risen, leaf content in marijuana products has dropped over time, possibly requiring fewer puffs to achieve the same psychoactive effect.

As discussed in Section 2 (Identity of Marijuana Smoke), many of the constituents in marijuana smoke are carcinogenic. Each of the 33 marijuana smoke constituents identified as Proposition 65 carcinogens are also present in tobacco smoke, which is itself a Proposition 65 carcinogen. Table 6 lists these carcinogenic constituents and compares the levels (if available) of each
carcinogen reported in the marijuana and tobacco smoke comparison studies of Moir et al. (2008), Lee et al. (1976), and Hoffman et al. (1975). For many of the carcinogenic smoke constituents, the levels were similar in marijuana and tobacco smoke. For acrylonitrile, 4-aminobiphenyl, benzo[a]pyrene, benzo[b]fluoranthene, 1, 3-butadiene, and carbazole, the levels in marijuana smoke were significantly elevated above those in tobacco smoke. For other constituents, including acetaldehyde, formaldehyde, and several of the PAHs, the levels were significantly lower than those in tobacco smoke.

tl;dr - Marijuana and tobacco smoke are pretty similar. The primary differences are that marijuana has cannabinoid-derived products and cigarettes have nicotine-derived products.
Particle sizes distributions are also similar, but marijuana smoke's particle number and and mass are greater, and also increases when ∆^9-THC concentration increases.
Marijuana smoke tar is four times greater than that of tobacco smoke tar.
Another issue is that marijuana smokers will often take larger hits and hold the smoke in their lungs for a longer duration of time than that of a tobacco smoker. So, obviously, an increased amount of exposed time to the smoke would result in an increased risk for all the bad stuff to be absorbed in to the lungs.
Many levels are similar between the two for carcinogenic smoke. The carcinogenic smoke constituents of marijuana were higher than tobacco in some categories, and lower in others.
^Still long.

And, of course, as the report says, it depends on how much is smoked in a day. Some cigarette smokers can blow through pack after pack in a day, whereas a person smoking marijuana is probably not smoking anywhere near that amount.

So to each his own, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Why not just measure body fat?
I mean, it is Japan. I'm pretty sure they never do anything that sensible.
T9F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to T9F For This Useful Post:
ACt (08-08-2012), Human Rasengan (08-09-2012), Mal (08-08-2012), Miburo (08-08-2012), Vanity (08-17-2012), xxMESTxx (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 03:13 AM   #12
xxMESTxx
EffYouSeeKay

xxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enough

To be honest, I expected more of a debate.

@Act
There is no shortage of the medical benefits of Marijuana, the link I posted previously has 150 and is a couple years old, I would gladly post the new 420 link list if anybody is interested. The list of links is on grasscity which is pretty much a weed only forum, but the actual links themselves are not, and I can't see how they could be considered biased. Unless, you think Unbound Medicine, IACM, PubMed, MedScape and various other credible sources aren't reliable? Don't get me wrong, it has its side effects, but the large majority of those health risks are related to smoking alone. You guys are right that it releases carcinogens when burned, but there's also Edibles, drinks, Vaporizers, and pills, concentrates(removing plant matter). Which take care of that completely.

@Stubborn, while I agree that the majority of the people I know can drive safely while high, and that it does make them drive slower, and usually more cautious(paranoia). I would prefer not to share the road with a bunch of intoxicated people driving three thousand pound death machines.

@Mal
I have to disagree with your disagreement. Caffeine is definitely more dangerous than Marijuana, Caffeine is way more dangerous just by the fact that it is able to kill people. Not to mention, it actually has. Alcohol kills hundreds of thousands of people a year, yet could be beneficial in very small doses, that still doesn't change the fact that it's one of the most dangerous/harmful substances.

I agree with everything else said so far.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -M. K. Gandhi
xxMESTxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxMESTxx For This Useful Post:
Human Rasengan (08-09-2012), Miburo (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #13
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Caffeine is only capable of causing death if taken directly in a pure or near-to-it form. "Directly" meaning "not ingested," so either rectally or straight up injected into your motherfucking veins. The only arguable negative to caffeine is the physiological addiction it causes, but since there are no other side effects that could be considered negative, there is no reason to stop consuming it in regular coffee/tea forms.

Source
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Human Rasengan (08-09-2012), Miburo (08-08-2012), xxMESTxx (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #14
manta
No Leaf Clover

Thanked 1,356 Times in 702 Posts
manta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enough

Don't run from the cure you monkeys. Legalize it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0psJhQHk_GI

Not only for personal consumption but the most important thing to legalize it is because its cheaper (hemp) to make products like paper, rope(stronger than normal rope), shirts, oil(video above), food(it's a "superfood"), lotions, plastic, and it grows fast compared to trees and stuff.

manta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manta For This Useful Post:
Human Rasengan (08-09-2012), Miburo (08-08-2012), xxMESTxx (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #15
Vengeance
Death Scythe

Thanked 9,331 Times in 4,060 Posts
Vengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud ofVengeance has much to be proud of

Caffeine causes rapid heart rate which can lead to a heart attack & heart disease.

You can overdose on Alcohol, you can overdose on caffeine however you can not to my knowledge overdose on Marijuana.

The health problems associated with smoking Marijuana in comparison to Tabacco can be resolved with different methods of ingestion such as brownies, pills, & vaporizers. The different methods for nicotine include chewing which causes cancer & patches which can cause nausea, vomiting, dizziness, & a rapid heart rate. A rapid heart rate in particular can lead to heart attacks & heart disease.

Monster brawl brought to you by Claymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liondemon View Post
Yeah vengeance, if i could giuve rep to your o so epic post too i would, but unfortunately I have already repped your greatness already so i cannot either. Just wanted u to know im on your cock now too
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOTKorby View Post
FOOLS! Time is no obstacle for utter lunacy! Reality is but an illusion that can be ignored if the insane demand it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by batonnoir View Post
1) There may well be some literary or map correlation between the Uzumaki and Ireland.
Check out this awesome manga called Magi.

Wanna join me come and play, but I mite shoot you in your face. Bombs and bullets will do the trick. What we need here is a little bit of panic! ~ Get Jinxed

Last edited by Vengeance; 08-08-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vengeance For This Useful Post:
xxMESTxx (08-08-2012)