Freedom of speech: Can it survive? - Page 5 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section

Debates Section Enjoy a good discussion? This is the place for you! Only knowledgeable discussions allowed!

Old 07-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #61
Freshgrease
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Thanked 1,005 Times in 546 Posts
Freshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to all
Re: Freedom of speech: Can it survive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXmagnesiumXx
of course. u just have to be aware of the consequences of it. like if u go up to the president and cuss, it probably wouldn't be a good idea, but hey, no one's stopping u.
Even if it is your right to say that to him, he has the right to a personal opinion to you. With that personal opinion he can do many things.
Freshgrease is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2006, 07:05 PM   #62
DarkAztek
Sand Man

DarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to all

Quote:
Even if it is your right to say that to him, he has the right to a personal opinion to you. With that personal opinion he can do many things.
Not really. Although he has the power, he doesn't have the RIGHT to do all that much. He can get you removed away from him, but not much else. He can say what he wants, but not much else. If he throws someone in jail or hurts them in any way because they told the President he was a giant blistering vagina, then he would be violating that person's Constitutional right to their Freedom of Speech.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/HookerBodyShots/shark.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[center][b]Filler content[/b][/center]
DarkAztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:06 PM   #63
Naru-rin
Genin

Naru-rin is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, he IS a blistering vagina! (jk.) ^^,

FCs:
Member of:
The Urahara Kisuke FC(owner)
The official 4kids haters FC
Akatsuki Leader FC
The Kon FC
The Naruto's overly obsessed FC

Naru-rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #64
LonelyNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naru-rin
(Delete if necessary) I don't live in the US, nor do I know what's in the constitution. But, as a n00b, I wonder: Does it really exist? For the internet it does, but what about america itself? I don't have much spare time,(Researching j-rock for music teacher mr.evil) so I couldn't research much. Personally, I don't think it can. Not even in the internet, with all the cencoring and e-mail blockage(What's it called when you can't e-mail someone? Like Jack Thompson?) and stuff.
freedom of speech is awesome. it will survive. i mean, i can say, "i hate Bush, i hate Republicans, i don't like super Christians, i hate EVERYTHING IN THIS FORSAKEN ROCK FLOATING AROUND IN THE MIDDLE OF A SOLAR COLLECTION OF GAS, ROCKS AND OTHER FORMS OF MATTER!!!" as long as i say that, i'm using free speech. man, i love the Constitution!
Old 08-12-2006, 11:15 PM   #65
Naru-rin
Genin

Naru-rin is an unknown quantity at this point

I love it too! Although...In England, apparently you can't say bad things about the queen....But you can about Tony Blair! Bwehehehe...
Yeah, but still......Net neutrality....

FCs:
Member of:
The Urahara Kisuke FC(owner)
The official 4kids haters FC
Akatsuki Leader FC
The Kon FC
The Naruto's overly obsessed FC

Naru-rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:45 PM   #66
Izanagi_Takeshiro
Missing-Nin

Izanagi_Takeshiro is an unknown quantity at this point

Freedom of speech is a luxury that most north americans aren't even aware of...most countries use this method in everyday life...the freedom of speech in the case of society (society being the majority of the people on the planet who think what is right, but not infact the whole planet) is a dominant factor in most countries, but they take it for granted and waylay into people who don't feel and think the same as them...people left and right get attacked for their own personal beliefs and viewpoints just because they aren't in the norm, but in the same breath they give everyone the freedom of speech.
Izanagi_Takeshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:29 PM   #67
Tabris
Sexy Lady

Thanked 4,329 Times in 1,961 Posts
Tabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really nice

the main questions were, does freedom of speach exist and if it does will it continue to, right? i dunno, it's there but if i said somehting about jesus and god in a school class the teacher woudl say i couldn't talk about it. what was it... i'd be.. intolerant of everyone else. Weird how everyone else is intolerant of me... hmmm.

oh and Naru rin, i love your pic, urahara is awsome! ^^
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:26 AM   #68
Pride
Change is coming

Pride will become famous soon enoughPride will become famous soon enough

i dont have the time or patients to read all of the posts, but i will say this.

Freedom of speech is very broad area when dealing with the US constitution. See this is a problem that i dont think the forefatehrs thought to much about.. We are not them we do NOT know EXACTLY what THEY meant when they wrote it. but freedom of speech is not restricted to what you say, it in terms of todays world, its how you express yourself.

But lets break it down in both literal and in a broad position.

in this country you CAN say WHATEVER you WANT. BUT it DOES NOT mean you WILL NOT or CAN NOT be punished in PUBLIC esates for what you say. For example it is not illegal for you to say "Fuck You" to your teacher. HOWEVER it is also not illegal for your teacher to punish you for saying it.

Now, looking at this from a broad point of view, as more expression than actual words. This rite is VERY supressed and taken away. Many of you knwo i have a band, ALL of us (aside from myself becouse im homeschooled) were told they had to have there haircut BEFORE coming to school. Becouse we all have long hair. This example brings me to this point, the 'Rules" of many public school systems are disregarding Our Rites as american citizens becouse it states, we cannot wear certain things, we cannot have our hair certain ways and lengths, and we are not allowed to have certain things on our bodies. So in this way, no, it cannot survive, becouse its already been disregarded and the government is not willing to go against it.

Im done. GG to any who disagree. I win.

[1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2]
Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:43 AM   #69
Corbenk
Kuchin

Corbenk is infamous around these partsCorbenk is infamous around these partsCorbenk is infamous around these partsCorbenk is infamous around these partsCorbenk is infamous around these partsCorbenk is infamous around these partsCorbenk is infamous around these partsCorbenk is infamous around these partsCorbenk is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride View Post

in this country you CAN say WHATEVER you WANT. BUT it DOES NOT mean you WILL NOT or CAN NOT be punished in PUBLIC esates for what you say. For example it is not illegal for you to say "Fuck You" to your teacher. HOWEVER it is also not illegal for your teacher to punish you for saying it.
Oh, then we can murder people, however we may be subject to punishment afterward. Hell, you CAN do anything you want. (within physical,mental and emotional limits) I think it is fairly obvious that when we say "can we do this" it means "can we do it without punishment.". It does not mean "Is it possible". It is kids like you that truly piss me off. If you seriously could not figure out that by "can" we mean "able to do with out punishment" then I am amazed you know how to read, write and type.

Quote:
Yeh, 'cause, you know, that is how to debate =\
Corbenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:17 AM   #70
Miburo

Quote:
Corbenk already covered this pretty well. You can say whatever you want, as long as it doesn't impeed on anyone else's rights. Also, a public school can still have it's own rules in addition to current laws, much like a web forum. That's why I would always get suspended for fighting, even though it was usually in self-defence. The school has a no fighting under any circumstance policy, and I have to obey their rules. I can't get arrested for it though, just as you can't get arrested for saying 'fuck you' to a teacher. You'll only get in trouble with the school, not the law. Don't get the two confused.
Quote:
Now, looking at this from a broad point of view, as more expression than actual words. This rite is VERY supressed and taken away. Many of you knwo i have a band, ALL of us (aside from myself becouse im homeschooled) were told they had to have there haircut BEFORE coming to school. Becouse we all have long hair. This example brings me to this point, the 'Rules" of many public school systems are disregarding Our Rites as american citizens becouse it states, we cannot wear certain things, we cannot have our hair certain ways and lengths, and we are not allowed to have certain things on our bodies. So in this way, no, it cannot survive, becouse its already been disregarded and the government is not willing to go against it.
Again, that's the school's rule. It's got nothing to do with the law. If you choose not to follow the rules then you can find a private school to go to, or get homeschooled. Don't even bother mentioning something like "but my parents pay taxes that support the school." That just means that your parents have every right to address their concerns with these policys. They can voice their concerns, but that's it. You can't do whatever you want in a place that has a responsibility to look after and take care of children. They've got every right to make whatever rules they want. Again, it has absolutely nothing to do with the law.

Quote:
Lol.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:39 PM   #71
Izanagi_Takeshiro
Missing-Nin

Izanagi_Takeshiro is an unknown quantity at this point

OOoo...I love the broad amounts of viewpoints and intelligence on here.

The sad thing is people are to stuck on their own viewpoints and opinions that they can't see that other peoples viewpoints and opinion matter to them, just as yours do to you. Most people have a vanity factor when it comes to their opinion like that's the way it is and there is no other way. People have to learn to understand that their is freedom of speech, but there is also consiquences that follow that...like, it's ok to have an opinion, but don't go forcing it down people's throats or all you'll get is a bad response...people should learn to accept that everyone is different and if you are talking to someone they might have a viewpoint that is completely opposite from your own, but just like you wouldn't want your opinion to change, don't try and change other peoples beliefs and opinions.
Izanagi_Takeshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:26 PM   #72
Pride
Change is coming

Think of it this way...

Male's in most public schools are not allowed to have hair longer than there shirt colar, past there eybrows in teh front, and over there ears on the sides... there justification for this rule is "its Distracting" so why is it that guys having long hair is distracting while girls having long hair isnt? its the same fucking thing, it's simply elderly people havign the mindset that guys with long hair MUST be gay, beocus ethey want to look like girls.

Same with earings, in most public schools guys cant wear earings, again, ebcouse its "Distracting" while women can wear 10 foot in diameter hoops and be perfectly fine.

heres another one, i have a freind, his name is james, he has extremely curly hair, he grew his hair out and had an afro, he was kicked out of school for it, while i have another freind, named jermaine who is black, who also had an afro, which was several inches largher than jame's, was he told to cut his? no, becouse its perfectly fine for black people to have afros.. he ended up cutting his simply becous eof what they did to james, we all went to the schoolboard about it, they said to leave, "its not our problem"

teh public school systems in this country dont give a flying fuck about the rights of people.

[1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2]
Old 08-31-2006, 04:39 PM   #73
DarkAztek
Sand Man

DarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to all

Pride:

Or rather, you didn't appeal to a high enough authority... And schools, both public and private, can institute dress codes. You don't HAVE freedom of speech in schools because it can go against their private charter. You'd have to seriously fight for some kind of right and, most often, you will lose because they can always say that a school is technically private property, even if it is funded by the government.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/HookerBodyShots/shark.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[center][b]Filler content[/b][/center]
DarkAztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #74
Pride
Change is coming

so, if i own privat eland, i can grow marijuana, and when the police come and try and get me i can so "no, i ow this land and i made a rule that said i can grow pot" and there gonna say "oh, alright, thats cool, mind if we match you a blunt?"

i dont think so.

[1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2]
Old 09-12-2006, 07:34 PM   #75
Optimus Prime
Academy Student

Optimus Prime is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride View Post
heres another one, i have a freind, his name is james, he has extremely curly hair, he grew his hair out and had an afro, he was kicked out of school for it, while i have another freind, named jermaine who is black, who also had an afro, which was several inches largher than jame's, was he told to cut his? no, becouse its perfectly fine for black people to have afros.. he ended up cutting his simply becous eof what they did to james, we all went to the schoolboard about it, they said to leave, "its not our problem".
I bet that is because Jermanie could pull the "race" card on the school, and that isn't cool.

Free speach survives and it always has been, but some people take a mile when givin an inch so to speak,

If you go to North Korea and say I hate Kimyong ilei (or spell it that way XD) or say i hate N korea, youll be shot immediatly, but its different in america, as long as your not disturbing anyone else, or makeing trouble it is perfectly legal to say any thing....

Plus i have gotten away with a bunch of shit at my school, I said to this slut bag mcgee that "i thought she was a whore" and she tattled and instead of getting suspended i got a half hour detention because i said "i thought" wich i guess falls under free speak/opinion.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote