Deja vu...does it happen to you? - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk about anything here that does not fit the other categories.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
OffTheChain

OffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure Evil
Deja vu...does it happen to you?

Deja vu is the feeling that you get when you are doing something or you witness an event and you are certain that you have experienced it before. Its like a sudden ephiphamy and usuall you pause and notice it.

Quote:
déjà vu
Déjà vu is French for "already seen." Déjà vu is an uncanny feeling or illusion of having already seen or experienced something that is being experienced for the first time. If we assume that the experience is actually of a remembered event, then déjà vu probably occurs because an original experience was neither fully attended to nor elaborately encoded in memory. If so, then it would seem most likely that the present situation triggers the recollection of a fragment from one's past. The experience may seem uncanny if the memory is so fragmented that no strong connections can be made between the fragment and other memories.

Thus, the feeling that one has been there before is often due to the fact that one has been there before. One has simply forgotten most of the original experience because one was not paying close attention the first time. The original experience may even have occurred only seconds or minutes earlier.

On the other hand, the déjà vu experience may be due to having seen pictures or heard vivid stories many years earlier. The experience may be part of the dim recollections of childhood.

However, it is possible that the déjà vu feeling is triggered by a neurochemical action in the brain that is not connected to any actual experience in the past. One feels strange and identifies the feeling with a memory, even though the experience is completely new.

The term was applied by Emile Boirac (1851-1917), who had strong interests in psychic phenomena. Boirac's term directs our attention to the past. However, a little reflection reveals that what is unique about déjà vu is not something from the past but something in the present, namely, the strange feeling one has. We often have experiences the novelty of which is unclear. In such cases we may have been led to ask such questions as, "Have I read this book before?" "Is this an episode of Inspector Morse I've seen before?" "This place looks familiar; have I been here before?" Yet, these experiences are not accompanied by an uncanny feeling. We may feel a bit confused, but the feeling associated with the déjà vu experience is not one of confusion; it is one of strangeness. There is nothing strange about not remembering whether you've read a book before, especially if you are fifty years old and have read thousands of books over your lifetime. In the déjà vu experience, however, we feel strange because we don't think we should feel familiar with the present perception. That sense of inappropriateness is not present when one is simply unclear whether one has read a book or seen a film before.

Thus, it is possible that the attempt to explain the déjà vu experience in terms of lost memory, past lives, clairvoyance, and so on may be completely misguided. We should be talking about the déjà vu feeling. That feeling may be caused by a brain state, by neurochemical factors during perception that have nothing to do with memory. It is worth noting that the déjà vu feeling is common among psychiatric patients. The déjà vu feeling also frequently precedes temporal lobe epilepsy attacks. When Wilder Penfield did his famous experiment in 1955 in which he electrically stimulated the temporal lobes, he found about 8% of his subjects experienced "memories." He assumed he elicited actual memories. They could well have been hallucinations and the first examples of artificially stimulated déjà vu.

I had experienced deja vu several times. Too often, in fact, as I remember. Perhaps it's just a weird phenomenon, I don't know. I don't really want to believe it, but since it happens to me quite a lot, I have to accept the fact that this phenomenon does exist. :| It could be a dream that we had unconsciously, but it could also be some refractions from our previous life...

My theory is that it is metaphysical in nature and that it needs to be chalked up with all the other unexplained phenomenon.

So the question is do you believe in deja vu? Have you experienced deja vu? What does it really mean?
Do you think it has anything to do with the circle of life or afterlife's recollected memories? (if your religious which im not)
OffTheChain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2006, 10:10 AM   #2
_hinata_
Special Jounin

_hinata_ is on a distinguished road
i think there is such thing as deja vu and yeah, i've experienced it before. a very weird feeling. you feel somewhat familiar with the environment, as though you've experienced/seen/saw the situation before... I dont think it means anything though.. i do think that it's because of the "events" that go on in our unconsciousness. especially the dreams that you dream. some of us cant remember our dreams when we wake up, and so that could be the reason as to why we think we have experienced that particular situation before. like i said, it could be some random information that our brain had randomly picked out and processed. i dont quite believe in previous lives or afterlife though, but that's just my opinion of it ^^
<3 <(".<) <3
_hinata_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
sheik
S-Ranked Shinobi

sheik will become famous soon enoughsheik will become famous soon enoughsheik will become famous soon enough
I experiance it all the time!!!!!!!

What happened to Typhoon_4434?
made by rasenganfox

sheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
jescar
is what you want to be

Location: *Points to map* See that country...that's where i live
jescar is an unknown quantity at this point
I just expereinced it right now!

Shuuuunnn the non-believers...shuuuuuuunnnnn
jescar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:18 PM   #5
OG
[잊지 말아요]

Thanked 4,149 Times in 1,809 Posts
OG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these parts
yup, i've experienced it....it alway feels like a dream O.O....not sure what to think of it really>.>...
Old 04-12-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
Matonly1T
ANBU

Matonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these parts
yeah Ive experienced it alot nothing too important but it feels like ive seen this before.

Co-Owner
Matonly1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
palmereap
Kage

palmereap has a spectacular aura aboutpalmereap has a spectacular aura aboutpalmereap has a spectacular aura aboutpalmereap has a spectacular aura about
well i dont know if i blived in it really haven't thought about it too much, but it happens to me alot, mabye i just need sleep lol
palmereap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:26 PM   #8
palmereap
Kage

palmereap has a spectacular aura aboutpalmereap has a spectacular aura aboutpalmereap has a spectacular aura aboutpalmereap has a spectacular aura about
reading all this information, it's kool,
when i do pscology in sixth form, i'm gonna do a test on this
palmereap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:27 PM   #9
drunk_sea_monkey
S-Ranked Shinobi

drunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheChain2
Deja vu is the feeling that you get when you are doing something or you witness an event and you are certain that you have experienced it before. Its like a sudden ephiphamy and usuall you pause and notice it.

I had experienced deja vu several times. Too often, in fact, as I remember. Perhaps it's just a weird phenomenon, I don't know. I don't really want to believe it, but since it happens to me quite a lot, I have to accept the fact that this phenomenon does exist. :| It could be a dream that we had unconsciously, but it could also be some refractions from our previous life...

My theory is that it is metaphysical in nature and that it needs to be chalked up with all the other unexplained phenomenon.

So the question is do you believe in deja vu? Have you experienced deja vu? What does it really mean?
Do you think it has anything to do with the circle of life or afterlife's recollected memories? (if your religious which im not)
yeash all the time. its crazy. its weird but funky o_O

and no i don't think so never really thought of it connecting to anything really... i will have to think about this now o_O
Old 04-12-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
OffTheChain

OffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure Evil
kewl ya psychology is interesting and so is the info here so far.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #11
Amaterasu
Chuunin

Amaterasu is an unknown quantity at this point
Deja vu feels wierd, i dont like it when it happens, because it try to remeber where im getting that feeling from or that broken memory and nothing connects and it bothers me, and it happens a lot.

Amaterasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:36 PM   #12
OffTheChain

exactly where im getting at
Old 04-12-2006, 04:40 PM   #13
drunk_sea_monkey
S-Ranked Shinobi

drunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant future
at first it was freaky and such like almost scary but then it became normal. last one was pushing the lady in the wheelchair at my grandma's work o_O
at first i thought something was wrong with me =p
Old 04-12-2006, 04:40 PM   #14
Kansuke
Genin

Kansuke is an unknown quantity at this point
Deja Vu happens to me so much,I'd swear I could see the future at times.But,is that a good thing?
Old 04-12-2006, 04:41 PM   #15
Matonly1T
ANBU

Matonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these parts
when de ja vu occurs is it destiny? or is it a glimpse of a possible future.

Co-Owner
Matonly1T is offline   Reply With Quote