SOPA and PIPA - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 01-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
xxMESTxx
EffYouSeeKay

xxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enough
SOPA and PIPA

Millions of Americans oppose SOPA and PIPA because these bills would censor the Internet and slow economic growth in the U.S.

More about SOPA and PIPA

Members of Congress are trying to do the right thing by going after pirates and counterfeiters but SOPA and PIPA are the wrong way to do it.

1. SOPA and PIPA would censor the Web

The U.S. government could order the blocking of sites using methods similar to those employed by China. Among other things, search engines could be forced to delete entire websites from their search results. That’s why 41 human rights organizations and 110 prominent law professors have expressed grave concerns about the bills.

2. SOPA and PIPA would be job-killers because they would create a new era of uncertainty for American business

Law-abiding U.S. internet companies would have to monitor everything users link to or upload or face the risk of time-consuming litigation. That’s why AOL, EBay, Facebook, Google, LinkedIn, Mozilla, Twitter, Yahoo and Zynga wrote a letter to Congress saying these bills “pose a serious risk to our industry’s continued track record of innovation and job-creation.” It’s also why 55 of America’s most successful venture capitalists expressed concern that PIPA “would stifle investment in Internet services, throttle innovation, and hurt American competitiveness”. More than 204 entrepreneurs told Congress that PIPA and SOPA would “hurt economic growth and chill innovation”.

3. SOPA and PIPA wouldn’t stop piracy

To make matters worse, SOPA and PIPA won’t even work. The censorship regulations written into these bills won’t shut down pirate sites. These sites will just change their addresses and continue their criminal activities, while law-abiding companies will suffer high penalties for breaches they can’t possibly control.

There are effective ways to combat foreign “rogue” websites dedicated to copyright infringement and trademark counterfeiting, while preserving the innovation and dynamism that have made the Internet such an important driver of American economic growth and job creation. Congress should consider alternatives like the OPEN Act, which takes targeted and focused steps to cut off the money supply from foreign pirate sites without making US companies censor the Web.

Quote:
This shit is pretty fucked up. If anybody reading this wants to sign the petition to stop it, the link is here.

https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

I'm pretty concerned about the ethics of this all, and the power we would be giving our government. Sign the petition, maybe it won't pass. Share your thoughts.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -M. K. Gandhi
xxMESTxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Freshgrease
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Thanked 1,005 Times in 546 Posts
Freshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to all
Re: SOPA and PIPA

Yeah....Reddit and Wikipedia were down today. That's why I'm here.
Freshgrease is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freshgrease For This Useful Post:
kluang (01-18-2012), xxMESTxx (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
xxMESTxx
EffYouSeeKay

xxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enough

Yeah I read somewhere that thousands of websites were affiliated against this bill. A lot of which will participate in these black outs.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -M. K. Gandhi
xxMESTxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
UnicornG
Academy Student

UnicornG is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, NO to SOPA and PIPA!
only the hypocrites would accept these bills
UnicornG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

SOPA/PIPA aren't a direct threat to most of the websites involved in the blackout/protest, but it sets a dangerous precedent in terms of freedom of speech and information and lays the ground work for censorship without due process.

For any gamers out there, share this with your gaming friends.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
OG (01-19-2012), xxMESTxx (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,657 Times in 1,600 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

Better yet, sign the petition to have the ESA withdraw their support of the bill

http://www.change.org/petitions/stop...nd-boycott-e3# Fight the powah!!!

ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ask me anything For This Useful Post:
OG (01-19-2012), Scientia (01-21-2012), xxMESTxx (01-19-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

SOPA/PIPA have been pulled.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (01-20-2012), Numinous (01-20-2012), Scientia (01-21-2012), Spiegel (01-20-2012), xxMESTxx (01-20-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Numinous
Writing speed: snail

Thanked 11,563 Times in 3,932 Posts
Numinous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of lightNuminous is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael03 View Post
Good, but that's until they give it a new jacket and push it again. They've been doing this since the 90's.

Water of Ocean Darkest Chapters: 1 - 2
Weaver Chapters: 0 - 1 - 2 - 3

Numinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Oh, I'm aware of the distinct possibility of it coming back in a new form. Congress needs to understand that "online pirating" isn't nearly as harmful to the entertainment industry as they are being led to believe. Nor will they be able to stamp it out by passing a law that will only accomplish more attacks by Anonymous and the possibility of another Egypt.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
Scientia (01-21-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Well now that the CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America is no longer a US Senator, there will be at least one voice fewer supporting such bills in the future.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,657 Times in 1,600 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

So victory? Yeah victory!!!

Unless it's a feint. They might try to sneak it into some Dog food legislation bill, all ninja like. Be vigilant and watch out for flank attacks.

ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ask me anything For This Useful Post:
xxMESTxx (01-23-2012)