Megaupload Shut down by FBI - Page 2 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #16
manta
No Leaf Clover

Thanked 1,356 Times in 702 Posts
manta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enoughmanta will become famous soon enough
Re: Megaupload Shut down by FBI

I love how the news media try to vilify him on the plates "EVIL" and "The God" like its bad, come on that's some cool shit, every christian would like to have "GOD" on their license plate.

manta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to manta For This Useful Post:
Grimmjow (01-22-2012), Mal (01-22-2012), Miburo (01-23-2012), Numinous (01-22-2012)

Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #17
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,774 Times in 930 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

Seems that in light of everything going on with Megaupload other file sharing sites have been affected by this and have started to massively deleting files and accounts, ipbanning entire countries (specifically the U.S.), and shutting down various features like hotlinking. Upload.to has blocked U.S. ips, Filesonic have now disabled their functions and limited to only uploading and retrieving your own crap. Fileserve has deleted a shit load of accounts and files.
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

America, Fuck Yeah!

Oh, wait. I meant Yeah, Fuck America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Mentioning the Occupy movement right after "...fucking with our liberties..." kind of made me laugh, because everyone involved in the Occupy movement wants to fuck with the liberties of the 1%.
Explain.
Quote:
Police brutality is nothing in the States. Ooooohhhh, some people got pepper sprayed or beaten, that's totally as bad as the thousands dead at the hands of the Russian-backed Syrian military.
Oooohhhh, that bad thing isn't as bad as a worse bad thing. What's the point of even saying something like this, really?

Ooooohhh, thousands dead at the hands of the Russian-backed Syrian military is nothing compared to the Holocaust.

Quote:
All the legislation you mentioned was most likely done with good intentions but poor methods.
No. Like SOPA. The intention there was to take away freedom from the people of the country to preserve archaic business practices of corporations that just so happen to fund lobbies that provide campaign funds for some of the politicians that would be voting for the bill.

Or, if you want to look at it in a more optimistic light, the bill aimed to take freedoms away from the american people to fix something that cannot even be shown to be harmful or wrong. A point I am extremely confident I can debate successfully should anyone disagree with that last part.

Not that it even matters what the fuck their intentions were. What they're trying to do is horrible and wrong. Police brutality is bad, even if some other things are worse. Etc.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
Shrike (01-24-2012), xxMESTxx (01-23-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #19
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Explain.
In a Capitalist system, one of your liberties is to utilize the market in whatever way you wish in order to make a profit. I'm not saying it's a good liberty, and I certainly do not condone such an unregulated system, but that's how it is in the US right now and that's how the Tea Party wants to keep it. They view it as an infringement of their rights and freedoms to have their system regulated and their high incomes highly taxed.

Quote:
Oooohhhh, that bad thing isn't as bad as a worse bad thing. What's the point of even saying something like this, really?

Ooooohhh, thousands dead at the hands of the Russian-backed Syrian military is nothing compared to the Holocaust.
I'm not saying the police brutality in the US is literally "nothing" and should be ignored, I'm saying that I think most US citizens are trying to make it seem worse than it is in an "oh woe are we, look at how bad we have it" kind of way. It just seems ignorant and disrespectful to those who are losing their lives.

Quote:
No. Like SOPA. The intention there was to take away freedom from the people of the country to preserve archaic business practices of corporations that just so happen to fund lobbies that provide campaign funds for some of the politicians that would be voting for the bill.

Or, if you want to look at it in a more optimistic light, the bill aimed to take freedoms away from the american people to fix something that cannot even be shown to be harmful or wrong. A point I am extremely confident I can debate successfully should anyone disagree with that last part.

Not that it even matters what the fuck their intentions were. What they're trying to do is horrible and wrong. Police brutality is bad, even if some other things are worse. Etc.
The good intention such legislation is done with is "protecting the intellectual property and resultant income of the media producers." I believe that the supporters of SOPA and other such bills legitimately believe that they are on the side of good, fighting against the vile pirates and thieves of the internet.

They view it similarly to 17th and 18th century piracy, in which they are Spain and their shipments of gold are being attacked by "seadogs" (pirates) who are unofficially supported by England. This is obviously not the case though, as I also believe digital piracy in the form of sharing does no noticeable damage to their revenue.

However, as wrong as they may be, that does not mean they do not think they are doing the right thing.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Human Rasengan (01-24-2012), Miburo (01-23-2012), Shrike (01-24-2012), xxMESTxx (01-23-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #20
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

I remember when Napster went down. Everyone said "that's that, no more downloading."

It won't stop until the governments control all the computers. Good luck with that.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Miburo (01-23-2012), Shrike (01-24-2012), That1CheezyGuy (01-24-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #21
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In a Capitalist system, one of your liberties is to utilize the market in whatever way you wish in order to make a profit. I'm not saying it's a good liberty, and I certainly do not condone such an unregulated system, but that's how it is in the US right now and that's how the Tea Party wants to keep it. They view it as an infringement of their rights and freedoms to have their system regulated and their high incomes highly taxed.

Not sure how this has anything to do with explaining the statement of "everyone involved in the Occupy movement wants to fuck with the liberties of the 1%."

Honestly, I can't see any way to justify that statement though...

Quote:
I'm not saying the police brutality in the US is literally "nothing" and should be ignored, I'm saying that I think most US citizens are trying to make it seem worse than it is in an "oh woe are we, look at how bad we have it" kind of way. It just seems ignorant and disrespectful to those who are losing their lives.
Again, what is the point of saying that at all? Not that you even said that. You definitely trivialized police brutality. But even if what you're saying now is what you meant, no one at all said anything even close to what you're implying now. The guy above you who mentioned police brutality certainly didn't say it in such a way to make it seem like it's worse than thousands of people losing their lives. You can't just make things up, like saying "Oh, everyone is acting like it's the worst thing ever", to justify blatantly incentive statements.

Not even trying to be a dick. But come on, man. = (

Quote:
The good intention such legislation is done with is "protecting the intellectual property and resultant income of the media producers." I believe that the supporters of SOPA and other such bills legitimately believe that they are on the side of good, fighting against the vile pirates and thieves of the internet.

They view it similarly to 17th and 18th century piracy, in which they are Spain and their shipments of gold are being attacked by "seadogs" (pirates) who are unofficially supported by England. This is obviously not the case though, as I also believe digital piracy in the form of sharing does no noticeable damage to their revenue.

However, as wrong as they may be, that does not mean they do not think they are doing the right thing.
I honestly don't. If I wanted to do the right thing I'd actually research the shit I'm trying to pass. Especially if I could be potentially dicking citizens out of freedom. But I guess it's a pointless thing to discuss considering we don't know whether dumbshit incompetent politicians are doing shit because they're idiots that mean well or scumbags who care more about campaign funds than the people they're suppose to represent. Either way, incredibly stupid or just scummy, it's not good.

Last edited by Miburo; 01-24-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #22
OG
[잊지 말아요]

Thanked 4,149 Times in 1,809 Posts
OG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these parts

SOPA and PIPA boils down to the rich wanting to be richer, piratez are taking away their money? really? oh i guess those few millions they got isn't enough.

Last edited by OG; 01-23-2012 at 11:48 PM.
OG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OG For This Useful Post:
kluang (01-24-2012), Mal (01-24-2012), Miburo (01-23-2012), Scientia (01-24-2012), Shrike (01-24-2012), That1CheezyGuy (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #23
Mal
Scotch

Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Not sure how this has anything to do with explaining the statement of "everyone involved in the Occupy movement wants to fuck with the liberties of the 1%."

Honestly, I can't see any way to justify that statement though...
The comic wasn't part of my argument, it was just funny and related.

"The protesters say they want, in part, more and better jobs, more equal distribution of income, bank reform, and a reduction of the influence of corporations on politics." Every one of those demands could be considered an attack on the liberties of the 1% because they would be able to run their business and utilize their funds not as they wanted, but as the government permitted.

Quote:
Again, what is the point of saying that at all? Not that you even said that. You definitely trivialized police brutality. But even if what you're saying now is what you meant, no one at all said anything even close to what you're implying now. The guy above you who mentioned police brutality certainly didn't say it in such a way to make it seem like it's worse than thousands of people losing their lives. You can't just make things up, like saying "Oh, everyone is acting like it's the worst thing ever", to justify blatantly incentive statements.

Not even trying to be a dick. But come on, man. = (
Re-reading it, I did really jumped to my own conclusions on that one, but I do still think that many people have a mindset of "FREEDOM good, police brutality bad, but those Muslims are uncivilized and a few hundred deaths are expected, so that's okay." I have heard a few people inadvertently express such thoughts, and that kind of ignorance particularly irks me.

Quote:
I honestly don't. If I wanted to do the right thing I'd actually research the shit I'm trying to pass. Especially if I could be potentially dicking citizens out of freedom. But I guess it's a pointless thing to discuss considering we don't know whether dumbshit incompetent politicians are doing shit because they're idiots that mean well or scumbags who care more about campaign funds than the people they're suppose to represent. Either way, incredibly stupid or just scummy, it's not good.
True enough, no sense discussing assumptions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Miburo (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #24
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Quote:
The comic wasn't part of my argument, it was just funny and related.

"The protesters say they want, in part, more and better jobs, more equal distribution of income, bank reform, and a reduction of the influence of corporations on politics." Every one of those demands could be considered an attack on the liberties of the 1% because they would be able to run their business and utilize their funds not as they wanted, but as the government permitted.
The only way one could consider that quote a statement meaning that everyone involved in the Occupy movement wants to fuck with the liberties of the 1% is by looking at things through a very biased lens while doing some pretty impressive mental gymnastics. By that same logic of "able to run their businesses and utilize their funds not as as they wanted, but as the government permitted" you could say anyone wanting any regulations for businesses and any taxes on them are people that wish to "fuck with liberties."

The only way to not fuck with liberties would be zero regulations and taxes. Which would be horrible and only horrible people would support such a thing. It makes no sense to single out the Occupy movement on that when it actually applies to any half-way intelligent rational person. I assumed when you said that you didn't mean it to come out as some sort of compliment, even though as you're explaining it now it certainly doesn't seem like a bad thing at all. Kinda confusing.

Edit: Oh wait. I see now where you might have been trying to go with the tea party paragraph response to my "explain." What I don't see is how that response fits the original statement of yours that I quoted...unless you were trying to do a satire mocking of the tea-party sort of poe thinger or some shit there and didn't mean it. If not, then the only way it makes sense is that you are saying you agree with the tea parties stance. Which I refuse to believe, so I'm going to pretend you were doing some hardcore subtle satire there in the "Occupy fuck with freedom" statement.

Quote:
Re-reading it, I did really jumped to my own conclusions on that one, but I do still think that many people have a mindset of "FREEDOM good, police brutality bad, but those Muslims are uncivilized and a few hundred deaths are expected, so that's okay." I have heard a few people inadvertently express such thoughts, and that kind of ignorance particularly irks me.

I dunno. I guess it wouldn't surprise me that there are horrible people like that. But I personally can't say I've ever seen anyone trivializing thousands of deaths while acting like police brutality is something way worse. Usually the people that don't see a problem with mass murder don't give too much of a fuck about police brutality against non-violent protesters. Or the suffering of people in general most of the time. I'm talking about republicans, of course.

Last edited by Miburo; 01-24-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #25
Mal
Scotch

Quote:
The only way one could consider that quote a statement meaning that everyone involved in the Occupy movement wants to fuck with the liberties of the 1% is by looking at things through a very biased lens while doing some pretty impressive mental gymnastics. By that same logic of "able to run their businesses and utilize their funds not as as they wanted, but as the government permitted" you could say anyone wanting any regulations for businesses and any taxes on them are people that wish to "fuck with liberties."

The only way to not fuck with liberties would be zero regulations and taxes. Which would be horrible and only horrible people would support such a thing. It makes no sense to single out the Occupy movement on that when it actually applies to any half-way intelligent rational person. I assumed when you said that you didn't mean it to come out as some sort of compliment, even though as you're explaining it now it certainly doesn't seem like a bad thing at all. Kinda confusing.

Edit: Oh wait. I see now where you might have been trying to go with the tea party paragraph response to my "explain." What I don't see is how that response fits the original statement of yours that I quoted...unless you were trying to do a satire mocking of the tea-party sort of poe thinger or some shit there and didn't mean it. If not, then the only way it makes sense is that you are saying you agree with the tea parties stance. Which I refuse to believe, so I'm going to pretend you were doing some hardcore subtle satire there in the "Occupy fuck with freedom" statement.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. I in no way meant to support the idea of an unregulated system, I was just pointing out that some people (Tea Party-ers) could consider the demands of the Occupy movement to infringe on their distorted idea of freedom. I personally consider a regulated system to offer more freedom than an unregulated one; the role of government should be to ensure freedom for all, not just those who can afford it.

Quote:
I dunno. I guess it wouldn't surprise me that there are horrible people like that. But I personally can't say I've ever seen anyone trivializing thousands of deaths while acting like police brutality is something way worse. Usually the people that don't see a problem with mass murder don't give too much of a fuck about police brutality against non-violent protesters. Or the suffering of people in general most of the time. I'm talking about republicans, of course.
It's not as overt as that, and I guess people normally put more weight on events closer to home so it could even be unintentional.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Miburo (01-24-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
Marlboro
Drop The World <3

Thanked 1,121 Times in 669 Posts
Marlboro is on a distinguished roadMarlboro is on a distinguished road

I admit, I was surprised when I saw the site shut down. It was one of my favorite download/upload sites. You know, ignoring the 42 sec waiting time.
Marlboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #27
stubborn_d0nkey
Kage

Thanked 3,903 Times in 2,129 Posts
stubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the roughstubborn_d0nkey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlboro View Post
I admit, I was surprised when I saw the site shut down. It was one of my favorite download/upload sites. You know, ignoring the 42 sec waiting time.
No captcha was great so it was good for downloading seasons, just add a bunch of links to your downloader of choice and let it roll

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Quotes for noobs (learn how to break up a quote)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minato uchiha View Post
Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future
So you can post the second bit and i shouldnt be allowed to if i dont tell you? Why be so rude?

Anyways, here is a quotes for noobs guide

1. A basic quote

[*QUOTE][*/QUOTE]

(the * need to be removed for it to work, I put them in so you can see the text) is a basic quote that just wraps something in a quote without saying who quoted it who quoted so

[*QUOTE]this is a quote[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
this is a quote

Edit: there is a button for this, it looks like a speech bubble. If you select text and then press the button the selected text will automatically be wrapped with the quote tag

2. A quote that says who said it

[*QUOTE=who said it][*/QUOTE] this adds who said the post, manually putting that there can be useful when quoting something external. Example:

[*QUOTE=Mangastream]Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us[*/QUOTE] without any * would look like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangastream
Remember all you sexy bastards out there, Naruto, Bleach, OP, FT, etc. all on break this week. Feel free to take your rage out on us
3. A quote that says who said it and links to the post where it was said

[*QUOTE=who said it;X][*/QUOTE]

Where X is the post number.

For the post that i originally quoted it would look like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey, how do you break it up please and if your not willingly to tell me, then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]

That is what you get when you press the quote button.

4. Breaking up a quote

Now that you know how quotes work it all boils down to preference, how you want it to look like and how you want to do it.

One way of doing it is copying the latter part of the original quote [*/QUOTE] and then pasting it after each section you break up, write your reply, choose the text you want then paste it after that portion, repeat till you finish the go back and copy then paste the first part of the text at the beginning of each portion of text. Of course you can immediately copy and paste both parts of a poste so that you dont forget one in the end.

The end result would be something like this

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which without any * would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4

Another way of doing it would be to cut and paste the second part of the quote tag after the first section of text you want to seperate then write your reply select the second part and hit he quote button (it looks like a text bubble),if you do that without anything else the end result would be

[*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164]Ok Stubborn donkey,[*/QUOTE]
My reply 1
[*QUOTE] how do you break it up please[*/QUOTE]
my reply 2
[*QUOTE]and if your not willingly to tell me, [*/QUOTE]
my reply 3
[*QUOTE]then please DONT offer me no advice in future[*/QUOTE]
my reply 4

Which would look like

Quote:
Ok Stubborn donkey,
My reply 1
Quote:
how do you break it up please
my reply 2
Quote:
and if your not willingly to tell me,
my reply 3
Quote:
then please DONT offer me no advice in future
my reply 4

To make it like the previous example (which wpuld be preferred, though not necessary ) copy the part that says who posted with the link to the post and paste it accordingly to the proper part in each first half of each quote tag. In my I would copy =minato uchiha;2118164 and paste it where the # is
[*QUOTE#] to get [*QUOTE=minato uchiha;2118164] (of course with the * removed)

Of course you can use any other method you like to get to the end result, but now that you know what the end rwsult looks like I think there shouldnt be any problems
stubborn_d0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #28
Darth-Nero
Victory!

Thanked 1,675 Times in 677 Posts
Darth-Nero is on a distinguished roadDarth-Nero is on a distinguished road

Ok question..in law school 1st thing we learn is that laws does not apply retroactively unless it benefits the defendant, so how can 7 people get arrested and charged with internet piracy as a criminal offence while piracy wasn't a crime before the activation of SOPA law?

Am quite unfamiliar with the "copyright infringement" laws in the US, but if it's already a crime then why arrest people only after SOPA? did SOPA turned the copyrights infringement from a civil crime to a criminal one? I know that am probably missing/forgetting something really simple that will clarify my questionings but i can't put my hand on it.
Darth-Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darth-Nero For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (02-07-2012), Miburo (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #29
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

SOPA didn't pass...yet. I haven't looked into it beyond checking wikipedia, but I assume it's just copyright shit. I guess they didn't try hard enough to take down copyright infringing shit. And/or other ridiculous unjust bullshit like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
Darth-Nero (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #30
Mal
Scotch

SOPA has been "shelved" for now, but it's gone for good. That is, the bill itself, not its contents. They won't try such a well known bill again, but everything they tried to pass in SOPA will come back attached to some future bill or another under a different name.

To my understanding, the US already has sufficient legal grounds to shutdown sites like MegaUpload, which is probably more than they need. What SOPA would have given them was the ability to hold websites accountable for all user generated content, which included simply linking to a pirate website.

As for their intended method of removing sites from the Domain Name System, the US Department of Homeland Security specifically stated that such measures were a risk to national security and completely counteractive to what they themselves were doing. Not to mention it would have been completely useless, since removing a site from the DNS doesn't remove the site from the internet, you'd still be able to access the site by typing in its IP address.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (02-07-2012), Darth-Nero (02-07-2012), Miburo (02-07-2012)