Santorum: declaring war on heavy metal - Page 2 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 02-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #16
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Thanked 12,473 Times in 3,664 Posts
Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold
Re: Santorum: declaring war on heavy metal

How... how are you all discussing this rationally? The article is clearly satirical.

Hell, I just googled "Rick Santorum Heavy Metal" and this was the first result.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2012...metal-nope.htm
Jaxon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaxon For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (02-12-2012), Mal (02-12-2012), Miburo (02-11-2012), stubborn_d0nkey (02-12-2012), UchihaTaijiya (05-29-2012)

Old 02-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #17
xxMESTxx
EffYouSeeKay

xxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Did you miss the "relatively speaking?" Of the circus of current candidates, Romney and Huntsman were at least not outright ridiculous on most issues. Compare anything Romney has said to Gingrich's goal to build a permanent lunar colony by 2020 and tell me his policies and ideas aren't relatively more grounded.
I didn't miss it. He has no stance on anything, nothing solid anyways, everything he says can change on a moments notice if he thinks it'll gain him more votes. He's obvious as hell about it, and up until he wanted to run for president had a completely different view on things.

He seriously talks himself in circles when questioned, he just comes off as very unintelligent. Even relatively speaking I don't think he should compare to Huntsman or Paul. Don't get me started on Gingrich that sad sack.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -M. K. Gandhi
xxMESTxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xxMESTxx For This Useful Post:
Miburo (02-11-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #18
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
How... how are you all discussing this rationally? The article is clearly satirical.

Hell, I just googled "Rick Santorum Heavy Metal" and this was the first result.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2012...metal-nope.htm
Yeah, I got the article from a local band I listen to off facebook. Knowing that there are some quite insane nominees, I didn't think about questioning it.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
kluang (02-12-2012), Miburo (02-11-2012), stubborn_d0nkey (02-12-2012), UchihaTaijiya (05-29-2012), xxMESTxx (02-12-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #19
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Thanked 17,679 Times in 5,440 Posts
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
This is a republican nominee you're talking about, pretty much everything they say is so insane that it's indistinguishable from satire.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (02-12-2012), kael03 (02-11-2012), kluang (02-12-2012), Mal (02-12-2012), Numinous (02-12-2012), stubborn_d0nkey (02-12-2012), UchihaTaijiya (05-29-2012), xxMESTxx (02-12-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #20
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute

Two same time posts in the same thread. Man, I'm awesome.

Oh, and lunar colony would kick ass. I'm all for that.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (02-12-2012), kluang (02-12-2012), Mal (02-12-2012), Numinous (02-12-2012), stubborn_d0nkey (02-12-2012), UchihaTaijiya (05-29-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #21
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold

Right, so let's all concentrate on insane shit they didn't say, rather than insane shit they did.
Sorry, I forgot I'm dealing with the American electorate here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaxon For This Useful Post:
Miburo (02-12-2012), UchihaTaijiya (05-29-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #22
SirBenoit
Sennin

SirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud of

Santorum has no shot of winning, kinda suprise someone even cares what he is saying. Heavy metal is dead, at least go after something current like rap or country

SirBenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #23
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBenoit View Post
Heavy metal is dead
There are at least several tens of millions of people, in the United States alone, that beg to differ.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
Mal (02-12-2012), Miburo (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #24
SirBenoit
Sennin

SirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud ofSirBenoit has much to be proud of

maybe i should have said fading away or dying... cause it is

SirBenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #25
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Again, there are several million people that beg to differ. Heavy metal may not be "mainstream" but it's still going strong. Stronger than rap, pop, and hip hop.

I'm reminded of Mayhem Fest '10 when Rob Zombie was discussing how there were all of these so-called "artists" that were cancelling shows and tours left and right. But there was 1 tour that no one was reporting on, that no one gave a shit about, going strong.

His exact words to this were "to all of the pop groups: you have no true fans".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (02-12-2012), Mal (02-12-2012), Miburo (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #26
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

I thought the entire point of this thread was to illustrate the fact that shit like this being said by a republican nominee wouldn't surprise most people, since the republican nominees say shit that is equally insane all the time.

Granted, I was wrong since the OP thought it was legit. But the fact that some intelligent people in here (LN) didn't get finished reading that and go "What the fuck, that doesn't seem right. Let me go check some other links" illustrates what I thought the point of this thread was pretty well.

Hell, the main reason I knew is because I obsessively double check almost everything that comes from a source I'm not familiar with. I wasn't about to call shenanigans or anything when I first started reading it. The only part that I thought was a bit too ridiculous was the internment camp part. Other than that I could see Rick Santorum saying most of that shit. I mean, fucking Rick Santorum. Saying ridiculously stupid shit is kind of his thing.

Add that to the fact that no sane person should give a shit about any of the republican nominees at this point, since everyone's opinion of them shouldn't be able to be any lower it already is and nothing any of them say at this point should be able to counter-act all the idiotic and horrible shit they've already stated, I can see why people wouldn't have bothered to verify the legitimacy of this story.

Last edited by Miburo; 02-12-2012 at 01:38 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
kael03 (02-12-2012), Mal (02-12-2012), SirBenoit (02-12-2012), xxMESTxx (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #27
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Was there any point you stopped to consider the hypocrisy of judging Santorum by factual ignorance and prejudice, while calling him on his factual ignorance and prejudice?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaxon For This Useful Post:
Miburo (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #28
Miburo
Deos Fortioribus Adesse

Nope.

Because there wasn't any point where I judged him based on factual ignorance and prejudice. I knew the story was fake when I made my first post in here commenting about that poe law shit, and the article had absolutely no influence on my opinion of Rick Santorum.

Edit: Unless you're talking about people that did respond like the article was legit. I guess, yeah, it would be a bit hypocritical. And yeah, I didn't stop and consider that. Mostly because it's still completely understandable, all things considered. And because the only person in here who responded to the article in a serious-ish manner is a person I have no desire whatsoever to call an idiot or a hypocrite. Which, admittedly, is also the reason I rationalized the situation and argued that it's understandable that people wouldn't immediately realize this is satire, despite knowing that treating satire as legit is obviously something that isn't completely immune to criticism.

Last edited by Miburo; 02-12-2012 at 03:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miburo For This Useful Post:
Mal (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #29
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Yeah, I don't really mean you per se. Honestly it's just because I'm as sick of "HURR REPUBLICANS ARE STOOPID" as I am of actual Republican stupidity. This story is a classic example of people getting overexcited to jump on the superiority bandwagon, without spotting the obvious fucking joke, and thus making their own (usually correct) viewpoints seem stupid by association.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaxon For This Useful Post:
Mal (02-12-2012), Miburo (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #30
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael03 View Post
Again, there are several million people that beg to differ. Heavy metal may not be "mainstream" but it's still going strong. Stronger than rap, pop, and hip hop.

I'm reminded of Mayhem Fest '10 when Rob Zombie was discussing how there were all of these so-called "artists" that were cancelling shows and tours left and right. But there was 1 tour that no one was reporting on, that no one gave a shit about, going strong.

His exact words to this were "to all of the pop groups: you have no true fans".
Ah, the credible mind of Rob Zombie, because he really means it rather than playing to his masses. We really should just do whatever he says.

I'm sure what SirBenoit meant to say is Heavy Metal sucks.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Miburo (02-12-2012)