Game of Thrones and other TV shenanigans - Page 7 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > The Trashbin > Spam Zone

Spam Zone Come here to post anything that doesnt fit into the rest of the forum topics.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #91
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Game of Thrones and other TV shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxMESTxx View Post
I won't hold my breathe for the Stark's. Kind of wondering what happened to Jon Snow though.
Well, the second book ended with Osha and the Reeds splitting up Rickon (with Osha) and Bran (with the Reeds to continue his warging training) and going off in opposite directions when Ramsey Snow took Winterfell from Theon, But since it looks like the Reeds aren't in the show, Osha's sneaking the boys (with Hodor, of course) out of Winterfell seems like it's the new version.

Sansa's time in this season is done, as well, as the last scene with her in Clash of Kings was when the Hound drunkenly offered to get her out of King's Landing before making her sing at knife point, then left her alone with his gold cloak after, in Sansa's mind, giving her a small kiss on the cheek.

Arya escaped Harrenhall with Gendry and Hot Pie, but after she recalled Jaqan Haqar's name (she opted to have him help certain prisoners escape instead), he changed his face before her (since he is a Faceless Man, Jaqan Haqar is merely a disguise for him), and gave her a coin to get her to the Faceless Men guild at a later time. She uses that coin to kill a guard blocking her escape route (she dropped it on the ground and slit his throat when he bent over to pick it up, much to Gendry's horror, and she was really calm when he said "You killed him?!"

Robb wasn't seen after the Battle of the Blackwater (he didn't participate, as his forces were still in Riverrun), so I think his time is done this season.

Jon still has one more part to play. Originally he and Halfhand were captured together while fleeing from the Wildlings (the show hasn't deviated much here). Jon was told by Halfhand to "betray" his oaths to figure out what Mance was up to, and to prove himself a "traitor's bastard", he kills Halfhand to show he really defected.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
xxMESTxx (05-29-2012)

Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #92
Servo
Mega User

Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,045 Posts
Servo will become famous soon enoughServo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Mest was referring to Bronn, not Podric. I agree with him that Bronn could take the Hound.
I don't know how they're presented on the show, but my assessment based on the source material is there's no fucking way Bronn would beat Sandor.

Edit-All things being equal that is (i.e. Sandor not roaring drunk as he is many times)

Last edited by Servo; 05-29-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Servo For This Useful Post:
Mal (05-30-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #93
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

So, just watched episode 9 and I'm not even going to spoiler this.

Stannis Baratheon. WHAT. THE. FUCK. Honestly? Stannis in the vanguard? Stannis FIRST up the siege ladders?!?! First up those laters ALWAYS DIES! Holy crap I can't believe that Martin even wrote that!! Stannis believes it is his god given right to be king - everyone else can spill their blood so he can be king.

I don't even know how to defend how they've done his character. Idiocy.

Everything else was pretty darn good, though I'm guessing the whole episode will be largely devoted to Danaerys and perhaps a little Arya and Rob.

As for these fights - only guy who would give Sandor a good fight is his brother. Which never happened, unless you're going to believe the wild theories from book speculators. Of course, given what Martin has done...
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Mal (05-30-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #94
Shino
I'm so happy because today I found my friends- they're in my head

Shino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond repute

@Mal - You're right, I forgot all about Bronn. In which case, I believe Bronn could beat Sandor, though it would be extremely close if Sandor wasn't piss drunk.

Gamertag: ShinoNC
Shino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shino For This Useful Post:
Mal (05-30-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 02:10 AM   #95
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servo View Post
I don't know how they're presented on the show, but my assessment based on the source material is there's no fucking way Bronn would beat Sandor.

Edit-All things being equal that is (i.e. Sandor not roaring drunk as he is many times)
I won't be reading the books for a while, but the show seems to present them as fairly even but with vastly different styles. Sandor fights very stiff and straight forward, parries and strikes simultaneously with little wasted movement; Bronn is much more fluid and evasive, looking for the chance to strike rather than overpowering his opponent's defenses.

Based on how the show presents these styles, I think Bronn would likely be able to avoid Sandor's attacks just long enough to strike.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Servo (05-31-2012), xxMESTxx (05-30-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #96
Shrike
█▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

Thanked 9,850 Times in 2,943 Posts
Shrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant future

The episode was awesome...aside from the very very bad scene with Sandor and Bronn which made them both speak words which are completely out of character and the fact that Stannis charged first. What the hell. Everything else was nothing short of amazing. I am surprised I liked it so much.
Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shrike For This Useful Post:
Mal (05-30-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #97
ACt
Heart Wizard

ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Yeah, but that's the problem with real life - very tough to find actors who are both large and agile. From my memory, the Clegane brothers were both excellent warriors beyond being brutes. Hard to kill and fight because they were big, strong and fast whereas in the show they just chop people in half. Monsters. And Sandor is supposed to be the quick one. Bronn's advantage was also being unnoble in his manner (victory at the Eyrie). They've also made Bronn far more sauve in this show which gives him more mystique. He was a brute himself, albeit an intelligent brute, in the books.

There were few who could match the Clegane brothers (couple of the Kingsguard, Jamie especially, Briene on some level, one or two of the Night's watch and, of course, the Red Viper.) so I still would say Bronn would lose. But I see how the show makes the case against it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Mal (05-30-2012), Servo (05-31-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #98
Tzu Men
hostis humani generis

Thanked 2,697 Times in 854 Posts
Tzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the roughTzu Men is a jewel in the rough

I think Quarth's been pretty dull this season but I'm looking forward to the season finale. Last season the dragon birth scene managed to top Ned's execution, at least in giving you something to look forward to, and so I'm curious as to what can pique the battle that just passed.
Tzu Men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #99
Demi-God
BEST

Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,312 Posts
Demi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to all

I liked that Stannis charged in first, 'twas badass.

I'm reading alongside the show now and I'm treating the two as different stories, I would get bored if I was just seeing an exact repeat of what was in the book so I'm glad they've changed a few things, even if they are character traits.

Though I do wonder if they'll introduce the Reed children later on, I understand leaving out some minor characters so that the viewers don't get too confused, but the Reeds seem more important than that. Maybe in the 3rd Season somehow.
Demi-God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #100
Demi-God
BEST

Demi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to all

Season 3 Casting - May be a spoiler to some:

Ha, I was right, in your face... someone!

Casting news for Season 3

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/05/ew...-is-blackfish/

Looking forward to seeing the Reeds and Thoros mostly.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #101
ACt
Heart Wizard

Beric Dondarrion is a character they can really mess up. He's minor but important (and a good character), so I hope they get the feeling right.

You aren't supposed to like Stannis though. The whole thing seemed stupid rather than the intelligent, cold calculating ruler he's supposed to be. People don't LIKE Stannis. People would like a leader willing to risk dangers with his men - which was supposed to be the whole goodwill that Tyrion was to get for defending the city by actually fighting. Of course...

Qarth has been boring. but then, I've found most of danaery's chapters are pretty boring after the exits of Drogo and Viserys. The good news is that they'll pick up a bit with Strong Belwas and Whitebeard. The Houses of the Undying should be a good finale though.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #102
Shrike
█▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

Thanked 9,850 Times in 2,943 Posts
Shrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant futureShrike has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACt View Post
Yeah, but that's the problem with real life - very tough to find actors who are both large and agile. From my memory, the Clegane brothers were both excellent warriors beyond being brutes. Hard to kill and fight because they were big, strong and fast whereas in the show they just chop people in half. Monsters. And Sandor is supposed to be the quick one. Bronn's advantage was also being unnoble in his manner (victory at the Eyrie). They've also made Bronn far more sauve in this show which gives him more mystique. He was a brute himself, albeit an intelligent brute, in the books.
I never imagined Bronn as a brute. I always thought of him as a quick and very capable fighter who is quite intelligent. Sandor was, in my mind's eye, always large, but quicker than Gregor. Indeed, Sandor from the show doesn't show much of the Sandor from the books, especially in character if you ask me, but he is still okay.

Quote:
There were few who could match the Clegane brothers (couple of the Kingsguard, Jamie especially, Briene on some level, one or two of the Night's watch and, of course, the Red Viper.) so I still would say Bronn would lose. But I see how the show makes the case against it.
I am not sure, it would be a good fight, but I would also go with Sandor for the winner if he ever fought Bronn. Sandor is as intelligent as Bronn is and definitely a better fighter. I am just not sure if he is as quick as Bronn is, and he should be.

Quote:
Beric Dondarrion is a character they can really mess up. He's minor but important (and a good character), so I hope they get the feeling right.

You aren't supposed to like Stannis though. The whole thing seemed stupid rather than the intelligent, cold calculating ruler he's supposed to be. People don't LIKE Stannis. People would like a leader willing to risk dangers with his men - which was supposed to be the whole goodwill that Tyrion was to get for defending the city by actually fighting. Of course...

Qarth has been boring. but then, I've found most of danaery's chapters are pretty boring after the exits of Drogo and Viserys. The good news is that they'll pick up a bit with Strong Belwas and Whitebeard. The Houses of the Undying should be a good finale though.
I dunno, I somewhat like Stannis. I like that he is persistent in his ideals. I like that he is iron fist. I like that he keeps to his character no matter what. Indeed, his character doesn't leave much to be liked, but as I said, his morals and attitude is what I, well, respect about him.

Daenerys was always boring for me. There were a few chapters in four goddamn books that I liked. That speaks volumes. I find her really boring, too. Honestly, she had more character when she was remembering the red door then she has now.
Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shrike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #103
ACt
Heart Wizard

Maybe I'm using brute to broadly. What I was implying was that Bronn is a fighter, always and ever. He has no scruples so long as he wins. He was never the biggest or the strongest or even the fastest (I think the books give that to Loras and Jamie) but he always sets out to win. Like a physical manifestation of Tyrion's mind. He's a mercenary brawler who finds a way to survive any situation. I don't mean brute as "big dumb strong" but rather in this sense. And yes, he'd definitely give Sandor a good fight.

I kinda envision Bronn similar to how most of us write Miburo, though with a bit less of the Viking bravado and smaller.

Also, I understand the character of Stannis and it is likeable in the sense of honour, but as a character within the story, you are loyal and dutiful to Stannis, but you don't like or love him. He's a ruler who holds to a definite line of justice and ideals... but he's not lovable. He's not a character who lead men into battle. He's a character who takes people to battle and expects them to fight for him, because that is what his right as being the "rightful" heir to Westros.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Mal (05-30-2012), Servo (05-31-2012), Shrike (06-03-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #104
Demi-God
BEST

Phil, maybe I should clarify that, I don't like Stannis in a kind of "Oh he would be so fun to be around!" kind of way, more that he's an interesting character to me and I always want to know more about him and am curious as to what he's doing, both the book and TV versions of him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demi-God For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #105
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

I'm the same Demi, I find Stannis interesting and want to see how he deals with situations that arise, but I don't particularly like him and won't really care when he dies.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mal For This Useful Post:
Servo (05-31-2012)