Humanity Escapes the Solar System - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > The Trashbin > Spam Zone

Spam Zone Come here to post anything that doesnt fit into the rest of the forum topics.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
xxMESTxx
EffYouSeeKay

xxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enough
Humanity Escapes the Solar System

Humanity escapes the solar system: Voyager 1 signals that it has reached the edge of interstellar space - 11billion miles away.

With absolutely no attempt at hyperbole at all, it is fair to say that this is one of - if not the - biggest achievement of the human race.
For, as we speak, an object conceived in the human mind, and built by our tools, and launched from our planet, is sailing out of the further depths of our solar system - and will be the first object made by man to sail out into interstellar space.
The Voyager 1, built by Nasa and launched in 1977 has spent the last 35 years steadily increasing its distance from Earth, and is now now 17,970,000,000km - or 11,100,000,000miles - away, travelling at 10km a second.
Indications over the last week implies that Voyager 1 is now leaving the heliosphere - the last vestige of this solar system.

The probe is still detecting 'spikes' in the intensity of cosmic ray electrons - which lead scientists to think it's still within the 'heliosheath', the very outer edge of our solar system.

The Voyager probe has been travelling towards the outer reaches of the solar system since 1977 - it has enough batteries to last until 2020, scientists estimate

The Atlantic reports that the Voyager 1 - which is still managing to communicate with Earth with radio waves that reach us 16 hours later - is beginning to experience a bit of heat.
It is detecting more energetic particles around it, implying it it at the very edge of the heliosheath, which is like a bubble around the solar system, protecting us from the cosmic winds of deep space.

The Voyager entered the heliosphere in 2004
According to The Atlantic, certain cosmic rays have a hard time entering the heliosphere, but as of last month, the sum of these slower particles increased by about 10 per cent.
This does not necessarily mean we have crossed over - but it means we are getting close.

For the past year, Voyager 1 used its instruments to explore the new region. It appeared to be the cosmic doldrums where solar winds streaming out from the sun at 1 million mph have dramatically eased

Voyager is now detecting the first traces of 'interstellar winds' - the signs it is finally reaching the edges of solar system

Voyager scientist Edward Stone told The Atlantic: 'This is the first time any spacecraft has been there.
'We're looking at our data every day - we listen to these spacecraft every day, for a few hours every day - to keep track of what's going on. ... It's very exciting from a scientific point of view, when you're seeing something that nobody's seen before.
'Since nothing's ever been there before, we don't know what it will look like, which makes it a little hard to recognize "it" at all.
'That's the exciting thing.'
It will be hard to define when Voyager has left. It will not be a clean break - the molecules will thin out less, and there will be no wall or set boundary.
What will the Voyager find out there? Probably close to an absolute vacuum, save for a few long-range comets which still orbit the sun.
Scientists expect to see several telltale signs when Voyager 1 finally crosses the boundary including a change in the magnetic field direction and the type of wind.
Interstellar wind is slower, colder and denser than solar wind.

Voyager 1 and its twin, Voyager 2, were launched in 1977 to tour the outer planets including Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -M. K. Gandhi

Last edited by xxMESTxx; 06-22-2012 at 11:00 AM.
xxMESTxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxMESTxx For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (06-22-2012), Numinous (06-22-2012)

Old 06-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
xxMESTxx
EffYouSeeKay

xxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enoughxxMESTxx will become famous soon enough
Re: Humanityescapesthesolarsystem

I personally think this is amazing, and yet another leap for mankind.

I don't know why we aren't doing more with our space program and offering a bigger budget. The science behind it all amazes me. Kind of going to suck when the battery's die in 2020. With it exiting the heliosphere now though, we still have lot's of time to learn all sorts of things we may not already know.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -M. K. Gandhi
The Following User Says Thank You to xxMESTxx For This Useful Post:
UchihaTaijiya (06-26-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

Thanked 4,135 Times in 1,403 Posts
LonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxMESTxx View Post
I don't know why we aren't doing more with our space program and offering a bigger budget.
Because them dang dirty terrorists and dem illegal metzicans are knockin' on our doorstep. MURRIKA.
LonelyNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LonelyNinja For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (06-22-2012), Numinous (06-22-2012), UchihaTaijiya (06-26-2012), xxMESTxx (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
Shino
I'm so happy because today I found my friends- they're in my head

Shino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond reputeShino has a reputation beyond repute

That's really amazing, honestly.

What I don't get though, is, how can they make batteries in 1977 that last for 43 years, but today in 2012 I still have to recharge my phone almost every day.

Gamertag: ShinoNC
Shino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shino For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (06-23-2012), Jaxon (06-23-2012), stubborn_d0nkey (06-23-2012), UchihaTaijiya (06-26-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

They should use that battery tech for cars today. Fuck oil

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kluang For This Useful Post:
UchihaTaijiya (06-26-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
xxMESTxx
EffYouSeeKay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shino View Post
That's really amazing, honestly.

What I don't get though, is, how can they make batteries in 1977 that last for 43 years, but today in 2012 I still have to recharge my phone almost every day.
I agree.

As for the batteries, the ones on the Voyager 1 and 2 are really large nuclear powered batteries, specifically made by the smartest people alive at the time for the Voyager's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluang View Post
They should use that battery tech for cars today. Fuck oil
I'd actually feel really uneasy with people driving around what could potentially be mini nukes.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #7
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Thanked 12,474 Times in 3,664 Posts
Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold

Goddamn, I love news like this. It feels like our generation are living in the least adventurous period of human history.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaxon For This Useful Post:
Mal (06-24-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'd actually feel really uneasy with people driving around what could potentially be mini nukes.
Nukes or oil they both carry potential hazard and risk. With good safety procedures and technology nuke battery can be use in daily life

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
xxMESTxx
EffYouSeeKay

You do realize that with a nuclear battery, if you were to, i dont know, get in a car wreck, you would explode and radiate/kill everything in the vicinity.

Sure they both carry risk, nuclear just carries way, way more. It would be impractical and dangerous. Besides, we have the tech now to make better more efficient batterys, and still have lithium which could be used. Problems is, those lead and acid batterys are about 100 bucks a piece. Everyone who owns a car will end up replacing them in a couple years spending more money, and thats really what its all about.

@jaxon

I feel ya, I always said i was born way to late to explore the world, and way to early to explore the universe. Sucks.