MMA Board Breaks - Page 2 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > The Trashbin > Spam Zone > Random Videos

Random Videos Post YouTube and Google videos here. Do not post anything that will get you banned.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:41 PM   #16
Miburo

Re: MMA Board Breaks

Heh, actually glad to hear that to tell the truth. From a few of your other posts I got the impression that you're the type of guy who doesn't realize certain techniques just aren't effective against a resisting opponent, or that rank is always a true indicator of actual skill. Seems that I was mistaken, totally my bad. ^^;

As for knowing your ability against a real opponent, contact sparring and competition really helps a lot. I'm in the camp that believes point-sparring isn't as helpful due to the need to always hold back. I wouldn't personally join any school that didn't do any sparring.

As for sarcasm on the internet, can't argue with that. Though, it does work pretty well as long as you lay it on really thick. : )

Old 08-24-2006, 10:05 AM   #17
Aruko
ANBU

Aruko will become famous soon enoughAruko will become famous soon enoughAruko will become famous soon enough

I do believe that any technique properly used can be used to resist an opponent. You just have to have the proper execution, which very few seem to have.

Sparring really isn't my thing. My school's in a point-sparring only and I truely detest it. Not for the reason you do. When I'm given rules, I stick to it. Sure I bend them here and there, but I never completely go against them. So when I get up in a sparring match and I'm told NOT to hit someone then they go and smack me around, I get pissed. At that point I don't trust my own abilities to beat the crap out of the person. Sure you might say lack of self-control...And I'd say, "YEAH!"

This is why I've stuck to something basic as a starter. I'm really interested in martial arts like Dim Mak, Tai Chi, and Baguazhang, but I don't trust myself with those abilities. Although I have been thinking about working on Tai Chi, but first I gotta find a teacher. lol

Oh and furthermore about the rank; honestly a black belt is just another belt in the ranking system. Except you only get numbers from here-on out. Also, I have no doubt that an untrained (meaning never learned martial arts) person who has had his, or her, problems on the street before would know how to fight me efficiently. Especially since I carry the mark of TKD. Or at least as my father says it. (Basically because of my training I do things like TKD, and it's easy to pick out.)

When I assist in teaching classes, people have found that rank doesn't matter in that situation. As long as I receive permission before class to give push-ups out, I'll take on anything up to 3rd Dan if they're messing around.

Aruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:17 PM   #18
Miburo

Quote:
I do believe that any technique properly used can be used to resist an opponent. You just have to have the proper execution, which very few seem to have.
Oh, no doubt. Just some moves have a higher chance of success than others. Like I'd have a higher chance of success in taking a guy down with a single leg shot than of someone trying to invert a guy's knee with a kick, because the latter has a very, very low chance of success. When I say a technique is worthless against a fully resisting opponent I'm not saying it could never work ever, just that the chance of it working is fractions of a percent and thusly can't and shouldn't be relied on in a fight.

And I wasn't trying to single out black belts, I believe the ranking system as a whole in a lot of schools is flawed. It shows how much money or time you've put into the program instead of your actual skill in the art. Not saying it's like that everywhere, definitely not generalizing all art forms with a ranking system. Just have to be careful with a lot of martial art schools, some of them are really only out for the money.