Ellen Page comes out - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 02-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
Darth-Nero
Victory!

Thanked 1,674 Times in 676 Posts
Darth-Nero is on a distinguished roadDarth-Nero is on a distinguished road
Ellen Page comes out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26210047
Quote:
Actress Ellen Page, who starred as a pregnant teenager in Juno in 2006, has declared she is lesbian.

"I am tired of hiding and I am tired of lying by omission," she told an audience in Las Vegas on Friday.

The 26-year-old actress said she felt "a personal obligation and a social responsibility" to come out.

She is the latest in a series of high-profile figures in the US to declare their sexuality, including American footballer, Michael Sam.

Page, who was born in Canada, was addressing a conference on teenage homosexuality hosted by the Human Rights Campaign, which lobbies for the rights of those in same-sex relationships.

"I am here today because I am gay," she said, prompting a standing ovation.

Her voice trembling, she said: "I suffered for years because I was scared to be out.

"My spirit suffered, my mental health suffered and my relationships suffered. And I'm standing here with all of you on the other side of that pain."

Page, who was nominated for an Oscar for Juno, also criticised the "pervasive stereotypes about masculinity and femininity that define how we are all supposed to act, dress and speak".

The actress, who enjoyed central roles in X-Men: The Last Stand in 2006 and the science fiction movie Inception in 2010, is also due to appear later this year in X-Men: Days of Future Past.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XJkZf7KhjA

Not quite the shocking news, was kinda obvious.
Darth-Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darth-Nero For This Useful Post:
Scientia (02-15-2014)

Old 02-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
Scientia
Francesca

Scientia is on a distinguished roadScientia is on a distinguished road
Re: Ellen Page comes out

lol, I had no idea, seriously.

Nooooo! All of my hopes, all of my dreams. Destructified.

Ever since I saw her in "Super" I've wanted her to dress up in the Boltie suit and rape me.

Last edited by Scientia; 02-15-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Scientia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Thanked 12,473 Times in 3,664 Posts
Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold

It's all a distraction. Just wait, ten years down the line, she'll finally come out and admit she's an adolescent boy.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaxon For This Useful Post:
Darth-Nero (02-16-2014), Mal (02-20-2014), Tzu Men (02-18-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Ellan who?
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Wait, I thought this was already known?
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,718 Times in 3,842 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Wait, we're supposed to care?

I mean, I'm all for equality for homosexuals, but really I just don't care what other people do in their bedrooms.
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kael03 For This Useful Post:
emachina (02-21-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

That's fine. But a lot of people in the world do and so people coming out and wearing in public, unafraid and unabashed, is necessary. Until you achieve true equality, it matters and you need publicity and you need to fight for your rights.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Mal (02-22-2014), Scientia (02-22-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
emachina
Jounin

emachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura about

I care about this about as much as I care about Paris Hilton fucking random guy number 418!

Tl:dr: I'd watch her sex tape. Barring that, WGAF.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
Darth-Nero
Victory!

Thanked 1,674 Times in 676 Posts
Darth-Nero is on a distinguished roadDarth-Nero is on a distinguished road

What's pissing me off more than her unfathomable timid demeanor on stage is those people calling her "brave" right after, as if she came out in the fuckin' 1970's. Fuck's sake people, get real.
Darth-Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #10
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, "brave" is a bit of a stretch I think. Seems to me, in America at least, it would be ballsier for a politician to "come out" as atheist than a celebrity to come out as gay. Still, every extra bit of support/encouragement for those who actually do have to be brave to come out is important.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #11
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

Thanked 4,134 Times in 1,402 Posts
LonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Seems to me, in America at least, it would be ballsier for a politician to "come out" as atheist than a celebrity to come out as gay.
It's not any secret that gays are welcome in Hollywood, but it's a different story in politics, like you said, or sports. I think that football player Michael Sam coming out is way braver than Ellen Page. Ellen Page will still get movie roles. Michael Sam can be barred from being drafted in the NFL.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:32 PM   #12
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Thanked 1,248 Times in 521 Posts
jekyl_hyde is on a distinguished roadjekyl_hyde is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyNinja View Post
It's not any secret that gays are welcome in Hollywood, but it's a different story in politics, like you said, or sports. I think that football player Michael Sam coming out is way braver than Ellen Page. Ellen Page will still get movie roles. Michael Sam can be barred from being drafted in the NFL.
I'm guessing you don't follow American football, especially the NFL. Here are some tidbits:
1. Before Michael Sam came out, he was projected as a 4th-5th round pick at best (a mid-rounder, 3rd day pick).
2. Numerous players have publicly proclaimed that there are known gay football players on several of the NFL teams, but it is kept secretive to avoid what has become known as the "Tebow-mania Circus".
3. Following the situation that just happened with the Miami Dolphins, Jonathan (sp?) Martin, and Richie Incognito, barring any player, existing or potential because of sexual orientation is ridiculous.

Michael Sam was seen as an average player with some potential that might possibly be recognized before he came out. Now, media outlets that honestly have no business covering football, are going to stick their noses in an arena in which it doesn't belong, all to exploit this situation.

Honestly, I may not agree with Sam's lifestyle/sexual orientation, but he has my respect for confronting this situation head on. He seems to be an average guy who has a dream to play in the NFL, who happens to be gay. Not a crusader for gay rights who is going to use the platform that is the NFL. And yes, there is a difference between those two.
jekyl_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:13 AM   #13
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

Thanked 4,134 Times in 1,402 Posts
LonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyl_hyde View Post
2. Numerous players have publicly proclaimed that there are known gay football players on several of the NFL teams, but it is kept secretive to avoid what has become known as the "Tebow-mania Circus".
I'm calling bullshit on the angle that no one is outing anyone or is coming out because it's to protect their sport or teammates. It's because there are dicks in all levels of the sport, from players to coaches to managers, that would shun them for their sexuality. NFL stars may have come out after their careers, but that's the idea; they're retired and no one can touch them now. Right now, I don't think any NFL team wants to be the "first" team to have an openly gay player because, at the very least, their fans and the wider public aren't ready for it. After Sam came out, I had friends who were like "Gays in my football? NOT IF I HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT IT!" They may not be representative of all football fans, obviously, but the fact that they throw a hissy fit every time gays are mentioned in a positive light shows that there's still a ways to go in gay acknowledgement.

Quote:
Honestly, I may not agree with Sam's lifestyle/sexual orientation, but he has my respect for confronting this situation head on. He seems to be an average guy who has a dream to play in the NFL, who happens to be gay. Not a crusader for gay rights who is going to use the platform that is the NFL. And yes, there is a difference between those two.
I wasn't trying to insinuate that Sam was trying to use the NFL as a platform for gay rights, just pointing out the huge difference between Ellen Page in Hollywood coming out and Michael Sam in football coming out. I wouldn't say that Sam wouldn't use the NFL to a major degree in furthering the gay rights agenda, but you're right in that he would probably put the sport first and his own motivations second. Still, the fact that he came out publicly in the first place does show that he wants to make a change now and not pull it out after retirement.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
emachina
Jounin

emachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura about

Here's a better question: Why did they decide to hold a LGBT Youth conference in Las Vegas? Was Tiajuana all booked up?
Old 02-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
jekyl_hyde
Hunter-Nin

Thanked 1,248 Times in 521 Posts
jekyl_hyde is on a distinguished roadjekyl_hyde is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyNinja View Post
I'm calling bullshit on the angle that no one is outing anyone or is coming out because it's to protect their sport or teammates. It's because there are dicks in all levels of the sport, from players to coaches to managers, that would shun them for their sexuality. NFL stars may have come out after their careers, but that's the idea; they're retired and no one can touch them now. Right now, I don't think any NFL team wants to be the "first" team to have an openly gay player because, at the very least, their fans and the wider public aren't ready for it. After Sam came out, I had friends who were like "Gays in my football? NOT IF I HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT IT!" They may not be representative of all football fans, obviously, but the fact that they throw a hissy fit every time gays are mentioned in a positive light shows that there's still a ways to go in gay acknowledgement.
Like I said, from your comments, I can tell you don't follow American sports. The media has been practically begging for years for a gay athlete to come out while they were still playing their perspective sport. But the majority of the athletes have decided not to come out for whatever reason. I'm not going to deny that there probably are some who would discriminate (try getting some facts about what just happened in the Miami Dolphins organization this past year, there is plenty of evidence there to support your point). But for the majority of people, at least publicly, they state they are open and supportive of any player coming out. But most players have said that those that they know of who are gay, that player avoids that, because they don't want to bring that attention to their team. That gay athlete becomes the focus instead of the team, and most athletes don't want that type of attention. That's why it's lovingly became known as the "Tebow-mania Circus". Because numerous NFL coaches and front offices have all stated they love Tim Tebow as a player and teammate. They just don't want to deal with the headache of the media circus that follows him.

Quote:
I wasn't trying to insinuate that Sam was trying to use the NFL as a platform for gay rights, just pointing out the huge difference between Ellen Page in Hollywood coming out and Michael Sam in football coming out. I wouldn't say that Sam wouldn't use the NFL to a major degree in furthering the gay rights agenda, but you're right in that he would probably put the sport first and his own motivations second. Still, the fact that he came out publicly in the first place does show that he wants to make a change now and not pull it out after retirement.
I wasn't insinuating that you were insinuating. Honestly. I was giving my opinion on the situation, because just like the aforementioned players that know of a gay teammate and state that they support them, those said supporters will support that gay teammate as long as the team comes first. Once it becomes about the gay teammate, all bets are off. Whether people like it or not, that is how it is in the vast majority of sports locker rooms across the country. Because in all honesty, what the NFL and the owners want to avoid is tabloids and channels such as LOGO and Bravo! making a huge deal about a player's sexual orientation instead of anything else about the team, especially the NFL.

Me personally, I don't care if the All-Pro QB on my favorite team is gay or not. I care about whether he's a good QB or not. Same for any position. In all honesty, the best thing that Michael Sam can do for gay rights is to keep his head up, but put his nose down (to the grind) and just play football. That's metaphorically what so many Negro League players did back in the 40's and 50's with Major League Baseball in breaking racial lines.
jekyl_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote