Woman shot by oven while trying to cook waffles - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 02-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
kluang
One Punch Man

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,087 Posts
kluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to beholdkluang is a splendid one to behold
Woman shot by oven while trying to cook waffles

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...k-waffles?lite

Quote:
An 18-year-old Florida woman was only slightly injured this week when she was shot by her friend's oven, police said.

Aalaya Walker was visiting a friend in St. Petersburg Monday when they decided they wanted some late-night waffles, The Tampa Bay Times reported. So Walker began preheating the oven — unaware that her friend, JJ Sandy, 25, was storing a magazine from his .45-caliber Glock 21 in the oven.

The magazine exploded about 9 p.m. ET, spraying casing fragments at high speed and striking Walker. She managed to pick some of the fragments out of her leg and chest and then took a bus to the hospital, where she was treated and released.

Sandy told police he'd stored the gun in a drawer but had stored the magazine in the oven. Four rounds were in the 13-capacity magazine, he said.

Gun and ammunition references indicate that the .45-caliber bullets commonly used in Glocks can explode at temperatures as low as 280 degrees — or even lower if they've been exposed to heat for a long time, which can degrades the structure.

Sandy "stated that he does not have a temperature gauge on the oven so he estimates the temperature based on how far the knob is turned," according to the police report, which was obtained by the Times. "I observed that the inside of the oven was damaged."

In a memorable 2007 episode, the popular science TV show "Mythbusters" found in several experiments that bullets can explode "once the oven was hot enough."

"Without a gun barrel to contain and direct the propellant gases, the bullets did not develop enough speed to pierce the glass or steel portions of the oven. The shell casings actually caused more damage than the bullets," it found — essentially reproducing what police said happened Monday.

Sandy wasn't charged because he had a proper concealed weapons permit, The Tampa Tribune reported.
live ammo in an oven

wow

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Humans aren't machines... they have souls, feelings. They live, they die, they love, they hate... And yes, they even make mistakes.....

When kluang finds you creepy and wrong then you are beyond horrible.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Being Malaysian is about driving in a German car to an Indian restaurant for an Indonesian food, then travelling home, grabbing a Pakistani kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Because we have no originality.

kluang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Dagoro
The surgeon of death

Thanked 7,274 Times in 2,924 Posts
Dagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to all
Re: Woman shot by oven while trying to cook waffles

Keeping the gun and ammo in separate rooms..........genius. That would totally not backfire if someone broke into the house.
Dagoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

But completely backfire when making waffles.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoro View Post
Keeping the gun and ammo in separate rooms..........genius. That would totally not backfire if someone broke into the house.
Where does it say they were in separate rooms? I only see the gun was stored "in a drawer." I don't know about you, but my kitchen has plenty of drawers in it.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
emachina
Jounin

emachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura aboutemachina has a spectacular aura about

Well, if you think about it. And using redneck physics, the oven is a pretty good place to store your ammo if you don't have an ammo safe. It's fairly heat resistant to outside heat. It's a standup comedian punch line, but I do know people who stored their paperwork in their ovens. It still stupid to not tell people you're storing live ammunition in your oven, I'm still laughing at this poor woman's misfortune. Bitch just wanted waffles and she was in the kitchen!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

My kitchen has knives. Put a gun in a room that doesn't have a handy weapon, I always say.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Mal (02-22-2013)