What manga series are you currently reading? - Page 2 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Anime & Manga > Anime & Manga

Anime & Manga Talk about some other anime and manga series in this section of the forum!

Old 03-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice
Re: What manga series are you currently reading?

Oh yeah, I started Freezing. Not all that interesting.
I'm constantly changing from calm to ill
Madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
oh, how I'm breaking down
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
LonelyNinja
Fight On, Fight Hard

Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,404 Posts
LonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyNinja has a spectacular aura about

Forgot to add Gamaran to my list. I liked it in the beginning since the fighting seem realistic enough. Then the bow-and-arrow guy shows up and I'm like SO IT'S ONE OF THESE CRAAAZY MANGA and now I only read it for the stupid violence.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #18
Scientia
Francesca

Scientia is on a distinguished roadScientia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask me anything View Post
What's worse, nothing ever got explained. Where did all these various monsters, aliens, and vampires even come from. How does the organization fit into all this. What's the purpose of even bringing people back to life to fight in these competitions in the beginning.
The vampires came from special nano-machines being released upon the population which gave them a condition similar but not exactly the same as that of "traditional vampirism." I can't remember if the concept of vampires existed before like how it does in our universe, and then the nano-machines coincidentally or maybe not-so-coincidentally gave humans such a condition, or if the term vampire just never existed in their universe until the condition with the nano-machines happened. Of course, it's not completely explained as we don't know where the nano-machines came from exactly, or even where the only two vampires left that we know of are at currently in the story.

The aliens came from other planets from a dying star system because they heard Earth was a good place to migrate to. Or something.

If by organization you mean those who created the Gantz ball, well they exploited the fact that the aliens moved to Earth -for profit, by creating the game that is Gantz for rich people to bet on and watch for entertainment.

In reality, though, the fat retarded daughter of the owner of the organization was used as a psychic medium by a powerful alien race to send cryptic codes and mathematical equations, which served as the blueprint for the ball. In that blueprint, was the idea that a terrible alien force was on its way in the form of a countdown, an alien force that this other alien race (that sent the equations) was battling off. So they sent them the gantz equipment to defend them off. The organization used it for other reasons and then the main "politicians" or whoever, decided that they were going to have all the power when the alien force attacked, and that once they fended them off they would rebuild civilization as its leaders. Then the alien force had found ways to hack the Gantz tech, and that's why the main politicians got defeated. From there, this super alien force that sent the Gantz tech stepped in and retook over the Gantz balls, allowing humanity to win.

But, the alien force claims that humans are nothing to them, and that they are not special. They are only doing this to "restore order to the Earth." Ok. Cliché. But fine. Then we start having real problems. The super race claims that we are arrogant and that to them, we are but mere insects. Ok, fair enough. They then go on to say that we are arrogant because we think an ants life is different from that of our own. Well, isn't that exactly what you're doing now with our lives? So you're just as arrogant as we are, apparently. The only way they could get out of that would be the prove something about ants that we don't know, which would make us come to the conclusion that they are just as intelligent, powerful, and feeling as we are. Also, when George Clooney calls them out on protecting the Earth, they just say "ah, well, we didn't actually care that much, lol. We basically just flipped a coin on whether or not we should do it."

This alien force is just really inconsistent and weird, so really that was the worst part of the big reveal, though I don't mind at all that they don't care for us, just don't be philosophically inconsistent about it. Oh, wait, but that's not all. Fucking hell, it gets worse. After all that, after all that shit talking about humans being nothing but matter and electrical impulses, and how we're nothing to the universe, the aliens go on to say that 21 grams of specific data gets saved in an alternate dimension and WILL be reborn as someone else. Meaning reincarnation exists and humans DO have some relevance in the universe, since apparently "nature" saw fit to save a specific set of their data, separate from everything else to be used again. Some abstract concept unique to them. A soul. Fucking ridiculous. Not because I'm an atheist (edit: or rather, not because I don't believe in reincarnation), either, but because of the hypocrisy. Are these aliens fucking constantly drunk?

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of subtle, unexplained things in Gantz, but those main plot points aren't included in that set. And even with the disappointing (VERY disappointing) super alien race reveal and disappointing plot protection granted to Tae, it's still 100 times better than something like Naruto to me.

I read (basically as soon as the chapter comes out):

One Piece
Berserk
Vinland Saga
Gantz
Claymore

I read (usually wait a while and then pick at it here and there):

Detective Conan
Vagabond

Last edited by Scientia; 03-07-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Scientia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scientia For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (03-07-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #19
ask me anything
Simply AMAzing

Thanked 3,660 Times in 1,601 Posts
ask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really niceask me anything is just really nice

Has anybody here heard of a manga called Drifters? I just started reading it today and I find it rather addicting. It's written by the Kohta Hirano, who is most notably known for also writing Hellsing.

The manga itself is one of the more unusual settings I've seen. It's basically famous people from different places and eras of earth transported to a alternate world inhabited by elves and dwarves, among other things. Various people from japans history form an alliance, along with Hannibal, Butch Casidy, and a few others to destroy the Nazi Orte empire, and fight a horde of monsters led by Jesus.

LOL, that sounds so fucking retarded, but it's true. And it's really really good.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it's only on chapter 33 at the moment, so it's not so far along that catching up would be a problem. I could be wrong on this, but at the rate this manga is pacing itself, I doubt if it's lasts past 100 chapters.

Last edited by ask me anything; 03-08-2013 at 10:59 PM.
ask me anything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #20
markwaugh008
Academy Student

markwaugh008 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey,
i have read your post and i am fully agree with you even Rumiko Takahashi is my favourite character in the play the way she act and the power of her is really awesome
Old 09-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #21
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,774 Times in 930 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

So I caught up with Genshiken. Not sure how many of you guys have read or even heard of this series. It's a slice-of-life manga about this college club for otaku called The Society of the Study of Modern Visual Culture or rather commonly called "Genshiken." It starts out pretty good, it follows a lot this freshman guy who's coming to terms with his otaku personality and dives into the otaku lifestyle by joining this club where the other members are more hardcore who guide him in this lifestyle. There is a cosplay clothe designer, an uber otaku super into doujinshi, another guy that's good a drawing manga characters but is not motivated enough to actually become pro, a video game pro player who doesn't look like the typical otaku stereotype and for the longest time is the only one in the group to have a relationship with a girl who also happens to join the club by accident just to be with her boyfriend and is the only non-otaku in the group, and finally this chick with very long hair and large breasts who's a cosplay fanatic.

As the series progresses the main character kinda stabilizes into the otaku lifestyle while the rest of the hardcore members kinda mellow a bit as they get closer to graduation and find jobs, some in their respective original preferences and others get typical business jobs. Almost half way through a new female member joins the Genshiken who's really good at drawing but comes off as a otaku hating person, even though she is an otaku herself with a high fujoshi preference (meaning she likes the boy love genre, otherwise known as yaoi).

Right about that point the story is pretty good but then it kinda starts to progressively get as the whole stories focus on general otaku stuff shifts more precisely on yaoi stuff. The first generation Genshiken members have all graduated and where left with yaoi manga artis and the cosplay chick as the remaining original members. The new second gen members ALL are fujoshi chicks except for one who is actually a cross-dressing boy who claims to be straight but is hardcore into yaoi often even fantasizing himself with other guys. It's story just kinda starts going all over the place and looses the original attraction it once had. It's not bad but it's starting to loose interest. I still read it because the original members often make appearances and sometimes included some story arcs which redeems itself a bit.

I'm mostly reading it because I got into the series when the first anime series came out back in 2006. Meh, it's still a great slice-of-life, I just omit the second half (kinda like how people treat Naruto.)
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #22
Dagoro
The surgeon of death

Thanked 7,284 Times in 2,926 Posts
Dagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to allDagoro is a name known to all

I don't know if anyone has recommended this yet but

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Feng-Shen-Ji

Feng Shen Ji is phenomenal. A great manhwa with insane action, lore and art.

I mean look at this

Dagoro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dagoro For This Useful Post:
ask me anything (09-10-2013), NeoKakarott023 (09-10-2013), Scientia (09-10-2013), Spiegel (09-10-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #23
NeoKakarott023
Tha One to the 23rd Power

Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,057 Posts
NeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoro View Post
I don't know if anyone has recommended this yet but

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Feng-Shen-Ji

Feng Shen Ji is phenomenal. A great manhwa with insane action, lore and art.

I mean look at this

This is the type of kaos I've been a seeking, THANX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Show Me How Much You Have Evolved...(As Tian walks toward an Army he's been waiting eons for).

I speak 4 languages...

English, Profanity, Sarcasm, and Real Shit.
NeoKakarott023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #24
Spiegel
Pirate King

Thanked 1,774 Times in 930 Posts
Spiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to allSpiegel is a name known to all

^Yeah, that looks pretty good. I'll look into that when I finish Genshiken.
“Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!”
― Donquixote Doflamingo
*Ex-Kakashi87*
Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #25
apacolypz
ANBU

apacolypz is on a distinguished road

maybe I am a manga addict..but I am foaming from the stills above.....I will certainly start reading this manga tonight....matter of fact..right now!
apacolypz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apacolypz For This Useful Post:
NeoKakarott023 (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #26
NeoKakarott023

NeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of lightNeoKakarott023 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by apacolypz View Post
maybe I am a manga addict..but I am foaming from the stills above.....I will certainly start reading this manga tonight....matter of fact..right now!
Already finished 3 chapters, this shit is tha truth.

Show Me How Much You Have Evolved...(As Tian walks toward an Army he's been waiting eons for).

I speak 4 languages...

The Following User Says Thank You to NeoKakarott023 For This Useful Post:
apacolypz (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #27
apacolypz
ANBU

Neo,

Man work had me caught up but I am about to dig in real deep...

side note* My dude you seem incredibly chill.....someone to play poker with, drink a beer or some cool cat to shoot the shit with.....I barely say that...so Kudos for seeming so laid back...
Old 09-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #28
NeoKakarott023

Quote:
Originally Posted by apacolypz View Post
Neo,

Man work had me caught up but I am about to dig in real deep...

side note* My dude you seem incredibly chill.....someone to play poker with, drink a beer or some cool cat to shoot the shit with.....I barely say that...so Kudos for seeming so laid back...
I am that Dude, into sports, movies, manga/anime, video games, cars, poker, work, and tha fams, some close friends, dat bout it. Keep rachet types at bey.

I speak 4 languages...

Old 09-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #29
apacolypz
ANBU

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoKakarott023 View Post
I am that Dude, into sports, movies, manga/anime, video games, cars, poker, work, and tha fams, some close friends, dat bout it. Keep rachet types at bey.
Nice nice into all that just a lil more geek mode. Write books, shorts, poetry, music, produce, computer engineer, gourmet specialist, movies TV, duh anime. I stay chill and enjoy the social life. Lol man you have me rolling at times lol. Lol@ keeping ratchet bishes away.. I hope that's all our aim! On chapter 2 right now.. Update you guys soon.

Wow on chapter ten now and I am so fucking hooked. Neo my dude you didn't lie, this manga is the truth. I am a blood and guts guy and man I am in awe. I love all the myths and story behind this manga. Just digging it completely!

Last edited by apacolypz; 09-11-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #30
NeoKakarott023

Okay lets replace Bleach or Soul Eater that ended with Feng Shen Ji. It deserves a spot here EASILY!

I speak 4 languages...

The Following User Says Thank You to NeoKakarott023 For This Useful Post:
apacolypz (09-12-2013)