Harry Potter vs. Christianity - Page 2 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk about anything here that does not fit the other categories.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:16 AM   #16
Sakuralover26
Genin

Sakuralover26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Harry Potter vs. Christianity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha1412Toshi View Post
I myself am a Christian, and while I myself think that Harry Potter is a pretty good series, I also agree that I shouldn't and wouldn't watch the movies or read the stories; because it's "of the devil" or whatever.
It's flat out sorcery and magic, and Christians like myself believe that it is not right to watch or read such a thing. Because it is ungodly.

Some Christians will not even let their children watch "That's So Raven" because the fact that Raven is a psychic. Even anime is a big "of the devil" to christians. Some think that Yugioh, Pokemon, Digimon, and anything supernatural is ungodly, of the devil, and will invite spirits into their homes.

Other Christians on the other hand, do not believe such a thing, because they do not believe in "The Holy Spirit" and don't take such a thing so seriously. That's a basic explanation of my understanding, anyways.
Well, I'm Christian, and you're right, I don't believe that magic or anything unnatural is evil. Even though I believe in God, at the same time, I face the fact that all the "miracles" and "blessings" that other Christians talk about is pretty much another form of magic, kind of.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:43 AM   #17
Kekkei Genkai
Chuunin

Location: Somewhere someplace doing something, meeting someone somehow
Kekkei Genkai is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't get it, why is pokemon and digimon ungodly. What's so supernatural about it. I'm not defending pokemon or anything but I wonder often why certain Christians don't like the supernatural. If supernatural is evil, then what is the Holy Spirit. What do they call that. I think that supernatural is everything that is extraordinary. If the holy spirit is extraordinary, then isn't that supernatural too? Supernatural isn't just limited to good and bad. In fact. What is good and bad. Who are just mere people to judge from their point of view. As a firm Christian believer and tolerance for other things as well, I think that HP and other things including magic and supernatural things should be open to Christians as well. As Christians, they should believe in what they believe but also explore other things as well. If HP is bad because it uses magic, isn't LOTR bad because it involves a lot of magic as well? And isn't almost all anime bad? Including Naruto because jutsu is basically a Japanese form of spell. And magic + spell = magic spell. Ta da! There you go. For all Christians. Those of you who hate magic should keep hating magic even if it's fiction. In that case, you should bann magic tricks and all anime including Naruto and Bleach and others. You should also bann Star Wars and LOTR because the "force" is magic and therefore it's evil. If you don't believe in luck, then why do you say good luck or I got lucky. If you just look at the bad part of HP and ignore the good vs. bad part of the story, then you should just forget everything else that is like it. You have to look at the whole picture. Suppose there was a magnificent statue discovered by archeologists. And it was perfectly intact and stunning. You would just concentrate on the fact that the arms are cut off from the shoulders and that there are no arms. If you don't like HP because of the magic, then focus on things that aren't magic. Sure it's almost impossible to view HP without magic but think of the morals that go with it and the things that the author is trying to say. No matter how many times evil may strike good, goodness will continue to survive and triumph over evil. Isn't Christianity like that too? Don't just look at the negative parts, look at the whole thing and then you will understand that HP isn't so bad at all.
Kekkei Genkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:47 AM   #18
Shikamaru
░░░░░░░▲░░░░░░░

Location: Although I may not go down in history I will however go down on your sister
Shikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to behold

well for one... Harry Potter is stupid to begin with

second off its not harmful to God if its being emphasized that its not real and its just fake, obviously both harry scarhead and anime are fake, so i see in no way why they would be contradictory to the bible. now if they were REAL thatd be different
Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:59 AM   #19
Azumi
유아쿨입유캔리드디스

Location: In the land of rubbershoes and dirty ice cream... ;o)
Azumi is just really niceAzumi is just really niceAzumi is just really niceAzumi is just really niceAzumi is just really niceAzumi is just really niceAzumi is just really niceAzumi is just really nice

im not against Harry Potter.. but i want to comment on the fact that in HP, they celebrate Christmas, where in fact they are pagans.... and they believe on human powers and magic, w/c is in contradiction with Christianity...

im suprised JK Rowling failed to see that...

I LOL'D.
삳 압. 유 아 이스투피드.
Azumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:10 AM   #20
Shikamaru
░░░░░░░▲░░░░░░░

Location: Although I may not go down in history I will however go down on your sister
Shikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to beholdShikamaru is a splendid one to behold

Christmas WAS originally a pagan holiday, in fact i bet jesus is pissed christians celebrate it
Old 09-10-2006, 05:44 AM   #21
Shikamaru
░░░░░░░▲░░░░░░░

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_NaRuTo_6 View Post
Teh Saturnalia. <.< The romans celibrated that holiday in December before they converted to Christianity.
yes... a time where they'd get drunk, fight, have sex with each other and beat their wives.... thats what christmas is all about
Old 09-10-2006, 06:11 AM   #22
Kekkei Genkai
Chuunin

Location: Somewhere someplace doing something, meeting someone somehow
Kekkei Genkai is an unknown quantity at this point

Ya, Jesus was actually born in the Spring. Christmas was actually a holiday dedicated to the sun god in Roman religion. Constantine the Roman ruler changed almost everything about Christianity including the birthday of Jesus. As a Christian, you should at least know that Dec. 25 isn't actually Jesus's birthday.
Kekkei Genkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:15 AM   #23
Shikamaru
░░░░░░░▲░░░░░░░

wrong again it was pope julius I who changed all of that, romans have to listen to the pope
Old 09-10-2006, 12:12 PM   #24
Sakuralover26
Genin

Sakuralover26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
well for one... Harry Potter is stupid to begin with

second off its not harmful to God if its being emphasized that its not real and its just fake, obviously both harry scarhead and anime are fake, so i see in no way why they would be contradictory to the bible. now if they were REAL thatd be different
I agree, it isn't at all harmful to God if it's completely fictional. But yes, if they were real that'd be another thing.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:34 AM   #25
YoshiToshi
YoshiToshi say grawr.

YoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekkei Genkai View Post
I don't get it, why is pokemon and digimon ungodly. What's so supernatural about it. I'm not defending pokemon or anything but I wonder often why certain Christians don't like the supernatural. If supernatural is evil, then what is the Holy Spirit. What do they call that. I think that supernatural is everything that is extraordinary. If the holy spirit is extraordinary, then isn't that supernatural too? Supernatural isn't just limited to good and bad. In fact. What is good and bad. Who are just mere people to judge from their point of view. As a firm Christian believer and tolerance for other things as well, I think that HP and other things including magic and supernatural things should be open to Christians as well. As Christians, they should believe in what they believe but also explore other things as well. If HP is bad because it uses magic, isn't LOTR bad because it involves a lot of magic as well? And isn't almost all anime bad? Including Naruto because jutsu is basically a Japanese form of spell. And magic + spell = magic spell. Ta da! There you go. For all Christians. Those of you who hate magic should keep hating magic even if it's fiction. In that case, you should bann magic tricks and all anime including Naruto and Bleach and others. You should also bann Star Wars and LOTR because the "force" is magic and therefore it's evil. If you don't believe in luck, then why do you say good luck or I got lucky. If you just look at the bad part of HP and ignore the good vs. bad part of the story, then you should just forget everything else that is like it. You have to look at the whole picture. Suppose there was a magnificent statue discovered by archeologists. And it was perfectly intact and stunning. You would just concentrate on the fact that the arms are cut off from the shoulders and that there are no arms. If you don't like HP because of the magic, then focus on things that aren't magic. Sure it's almost impossible to view HP without magic but think of the morals that go with it and the things that the author is trying to say. No matter how many times evil may strike good, goodness will continue to survive and triumph over evil. Isn't Christianity like that too? Don't just look at the negative parts, look at the whole thing and then you will understand that HP isn't so bad at all.
Like I said before, there are christians that have different beliefs from others. Some Christians don't believe in the Holy Spirit, and thus they don't think that spirits and all that really exist.

Christians like me and some others that i know believe that EVERYTHING is spiritual. And that even TV shows like Naruto and even the Harry Potter series conflict with the spiritual world and life. These Christians believe that watching Harry Potter will invite spirits of rebellion, witchcraft, and all that junk. I'm not so knowledgeable when it comes to this kinda stuff.
Because Harry Potter is based upon sorcery and witchcraft, they believe that it's of the devil.

@Kekkai: This is the weird part that i REALLY don't get. Although Harry Potter is looked down upon by Christians, LOTR is SOLD in christian book stores. APPARENTLY, the author is a christian. I also said "wtf?" to that, but go figure.

As for your whole picture thing, i can partially agree with you, from my point of view. But think of a creampuff. A YUMMMY creampuff, with a yummy cream-filling... but has dirt all over it. Would you eat the dirty creampuff to taste the yummy cream-filling? Probably not. That's the same with HP, in the eyes of these Christians. Although the books and the movies can be very entertaining and fun, they don't want to take the magic in as well. They don't want to invite these spirits along with just having fun of watching the movie.... you could say. So they don't watch it entirely, instead of just ignoring the bad parts. When oil is spilt into water, it dilutes. The magic is in the movie, so the movie is bad. That's how it is from their point of view.

Now me as a Christian.... I don't watch movies like Harry Potter (but i don't like it anyways. lol), and I won't watch anything that has sorcery or magic in it. Now, you mentioned that Naruto would be evil in the eyes of these christians, if they believe that anything with magic is evil. That is correct. These Christians believe that Naruto is evil, because of ninjas, jutsu, and etc...... That's just how it is. BUT, remember that there are other christians that don't believe it to that extent. Everyone's beliefs are different. That's why I watch/read Naruto, but don't watch/read HP, or other TV series that involve magic.

Christmas was yes, an original pagan holiday. But later on, it was celebrated as the birth of Jesus, and I don't know if they called it "christmas" back then. NOW, people are trying to get rid of the name "CHRISTmas" because of the christianity in it. At least, in my neighborhood they are. Not sure about other places.

1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2|hope to be more active...

yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshi toshi
YoshiToshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:48 AM   #26
Shikamaru
░░░░░░░▲░░░░░░░

ok to avoid reading ALL of that, id like to point out, no where in the Bible does it say "do not watch fake witchcraft" it says do not PRACTICE or be a part of it

i believe Deuteronomy 18:10-... 12 or 13 says "let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead anyone who does these things is detestable to the lord and because of these detestable practices the lord your God will drive out those nations before you. you must be blameless before the lord your God"

whereas 2 Chronicles 33:6 says "he sacrificed his sons in the fire in the valley of ben hinnom, practiced sorcery, divination and witchcraft, and consulted mediums and spiritists. he did much evil in the eyes of the lord provoking him to anger"

and thats all the relavent verses i can think of off the top of my head and all there is i believe. No where does it say anything against watching fake- or real witchcraft for that matter.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:00 AM   #27
Narutobaka8623

O_o

The thread is still open? Wow, sorry guys have been busy with school and kids, didn't realize people were still posting.

Well, to me lately christianity just seems to be dealing out alot of contradictions. You can't believe in witchcraft, but believe us when we tell you we can change water into wine, split the Red Sea, walk on water, set plagues on people, make more food out of 2 fish and a loaf of bread..etc. And you can do this because we don't call it magic, we call it a miracle. I try not to sound cynical but it's become very hard to believe anything of a religion that has basically done what others have done. Start out as a sort of cult, grew in size, took over other religious holidays and renamed them. And what's up with the Pope? The original reason for that particular job was to lead the people and continue in Christ's teachings right? Since when did Jesus decide to have designer sunglasses and shoes!? And don't get me started on the whole sex scandal and the church thing! The whole basis for why homosexuality is not accepted is because it goes against the bible, but then you have this going on within the religion that supposedly despises it! ARGH!

And as for the LoTR, why would they be sold simply because the author was christian? Doesn't Rawlings go to church? And how can a person think that Naruto or Potter conflict with the spiritual world when they are also included in those worlds? Could you explain a bit more, admit to being confused on that part.

Another thing that I'm a bit confused on is when you say that you'd watch Naruto but not HP because Naruto doesn't use magic. Pardon, but isn't the scrolls that contain the jutsu a spell? Don't you have to say a certain group of words to get it to work? And Pokemon and Digimon have nothing to do with magic. They're both stories dealing with the relationships between humans and animals in a sense. Pokemon deals with the caring and training of a specific type of creature. Whereas digimon deals with the relationship between the human and the major characteristic of that human and the digimon is really a partner that helps them along.
I guess the thing that really just irks me is that all of these things are stories and ideas made up by a human. If God created us in his image and gave us all imaginations, why are we critisizing each other when we use that gift? Wouldn't it be a sad and boring place without stories being told and songs to go with them!?

And yeah, the politically correctness has gone way overboard! When I hear about things like changing the names of things because it would offend others, I'm brought back to a South Park episode. They tried to hold the annual Christmas pagaent and couldn't because it would offend others and their beliefs and by the time everything was changed or made different you lose the whole original point of the thing! It's craziness.

And I'm sorry again, but can you explain the cream puff theory?
Old 09-11-2006, 06:41 PM   #28
Shikamaru
░░░░░░░▲░░░░░░░

they're called miracles because they came directly from "God Almighty" and not humans, like harry potter
Old 09-12-2006, 03:40 AM   #29
Narutobaka8623

But if we are created in his image, wouldn't it be the same? Isn't a miracle a certain type of magic that noone can explain?
Old 09-12-2006, 06:20 AM   #30
Azumi
유아쿨입유캔리드디스

Location: In the land of rubbershoes and dirty ice cream... ;o)
Azumi is just really niceAzumi is just really niceAzumi is just really niceAzumi is just really niceAzumi is just really niceAzumi is just really niceAzumi is just really niceAzumi is just really nice

Quote:
Christmas WAS originally a pagan holiday, in fact i bet jesus is pissed christians celebrate it
i believe CHRISTmas comes from Christ's name Himself... it's different from the one youre talking about...

nwei, HP and all the witchcrap (i mean craft) stuff turn UNGODLY only if it's practiced by ppl... watching and doing it is different.

I LOL'D.
삳 압. 유 아 이스투피드.
Azumi is offline   Reply With Quote