How To Make Good Comments. - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Graphics Design

Graphics Design Show off your works of graphics in here, form clans, or ask for help from members!

Old 09-23-2006, 01:09 AM   #1
Fei Shou
Genin

Fei Shou is an unknown quantity at this point
How To Make Good Comments.

On my couple of days on this site, I have seen some really bad comments on artwork. Merely saying 'ZOMG 10/10 SO COOLIE!!!' or something along the lines of it is spam everywhere else I've been.

So, for those who can't make proper comments, I've decided to post this guide on how to MAKE PROPER COMMENTS. Note: This guide was not created by me, it was created by Deep Dive and anotondev of KHU (Kingdom Hearts Ultimania). I take no credit of creating it, I just feel it is really needed.

-----------------

1. The falsehood of perfection.

10/10 Never helped anyone. No one. Nada. Zip, zero, squat. So please, don’t hand them out so freely… I highly doubt that there are more then 3 people on the known internet that can make a perfect signature time and time again.

And yes, when you give it a 10/10, you’re calling it perfect.

Even if it’s just a 9.99/10. When I see 10/10 ZOMG! BRILLIANT! PERECT! MICHAELANGELO EAT YOUR HEART OUT! I think of a few things.

1. You have NO idea what you’re talking about.
2. You didn’t take the time to look You saw it, thought “Hmm, that’s pretty snazzy.” And decided that it must be perfect.
3. You feel bad and are trying to make feel good about myself, even though the signature sucks.

Hence, the 10/10. So I usually ignore your post. Even if a 10/10 signature would put me on an ego boost like whoa. .

2. CRITIQUE DAMNIT! (a.k.a Words are our friends.)

Even if you break the habit of 10/10 (or in my case, just don't use it), and give them a 9.99/10, don’t just put good job! Nice tag! Hurrah!

… Once again, that never helped anyone. Be specific! What did you like, what didn’t you like?

"Critique: A written or broadcast assessment of something, usually a creative work, with comments on its good and bad qualities."

Ok, so the cutting was good, the stock blends nicely, and the colors are nice. But… you know what… it’s just slightly oversaturated.

Or the left side looks kinda plain. … And this looks… well, exactly like the last signature you’ve done. And the one before that. And before that. Try something new, nay?

Besides, numbers really don’t tell much. 7/10 might be good in your book… but for those who are used to the 10/10, it’s pretty bad. Words are you’re friends. They’re a lot more descriptive.

BUT if you must use the number system, try breaking it down:

Color: x/10
Stock Choice/Cutting: x/10
Typo: x/10
Technique: x/10
Overall: x/10

Or something like that. This way, you can still use your numbers, but you’re showing what the good, and what they need to improve.

If you just tell them 10/10, once again, you’re saying that overall, as a whole, their work is perfect.

Remember!! There is no law that states that critique must be less then 1.34 sentences long and include numbers.

Believe me, it doesn’t have too.

3. Mixed Signals

You want to make sure when you critque someone, you send a clear signal. Don't tell them you think the font is great, but then list 8 different things that should be changed with it. That the signature is fricken' perfect, but you need to add a border and a do betting cutting with the stock.

Another thing: Don't say it's a "decent" or "ok" siganture, and then give it that cursed 10/10. How cany anything be OK and Perfect at the same time?!

v.V Doesn't make much sense. You confuse the person!! When you do that, I can't tell if you like it or not, if I should change it or not. If you're trying to get a point across, sending mixed motions about something only serves to confuse.

You need to decide: Do you, or don't you like it.

4. Excuses, excuses...

I've noticed this alot lately, people going "This is my first, second, 912th signature" and whatnot, and kinda using it as an excuse for their skill, or lack of.

I don't know if this goes for everyone, but I find it kinda annoying. Same with people going how they only used default brushes, didn't use a tutorial, just got photoshop, etc, etc.

It's like you're making excuses... so don't. You should be proud of what you made, regardless. So please... don't use your inexperience as a way to get sympathy from others. It kinda puts me off infact...

5. A good clean game.

If you’ve made it this far, I’ve hoped you learned that very few signatures are perfect, and honestly critiquing never hurt. So now we’re down to the core of critiquing:

Helping people improve.

If people post their signature, it’s because they want feedback. They could’ve easily just put it in their signature and screwed all our lovely opinions. But seeing as they didn’t...

Let’s play nice, and fairly?

Don’t say a signature good if you honestly don’t think it is. But don’t go on a bitchfest about how it sucked either. Offer suggestions, maybe even point out a tutorial or two. But don't get so hardcore that you discourage them.

Supportive and nurturing children!!

---------------

There. Hopefully that will help some of you. And hopefully you won't be so lazy as to not read it, it shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes.

Don't rate. Appreciate.

Last edited by Fei Shou; 09-23-2006 at 01:10 AM.
Fei Shou is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2006, 01:15 AM   #2
Bod
Hunter-Nin

Bod is on a distinguished roadBod is on a distinguished road
Re: How To Make Good Comments.

It is about time someone made this thread. sticky anyone?

im just glad you did. im lazy =.=
Old 09-23-2006, 01:25 AM   #3
ryanisc001
jaxonsmybitch001

ryanisc001 is on a distinguished roadryanisc001 is on a distinguished road

mmm, you can sticky this but i doubt it will help at all, face it theres always can be new people here that dont know how things work. and i already think theres to many stickys already >> >lol yeah but thanks for posting this well see if this helps at all.

Last edited by ryanisc001; 09-23-2006 at 01:27 AM.
ryanisc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:38 AM   #4
Ero
//Sin\\

Ero has a spectacular aura aboutEro has a spectacular aura aboutEro has a spectacular aura aboutEro has a spectacular aura aboutEro has a spectacular aura about

Thank You.

reps+

Sadly, alot of people will not listen, mainly because they lack the knowledge to critique effectively. (graphically speaking)

But I Think this will help people get on the right track alot faster.

*agrees with Bod*

stickify this.

Someone
Ero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:44 AM   #5
Corbenk
Kuchin

Corbenk is infamous around these partsCorbenk is infamous around these partsCorbenk is infamous around these partsCorbenk is infamous around these partsCorbenk is infamous around these partsCorbenk is infamous around these partsCorbenk is infamous around these partsCorbenk is infamous around these partsCorbenk is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero View Post
Thank You.

reps+

Sadly, alot of people will not listen, mainly because they lack the knowledge to critique effectively. (graphically speaking)

The graphics noobs are the ones who make the most comment. As can be seen in any one of my vector topics. It is always "OMFGBBQ" or" Oh, that is cool, bit you can do better"

Well, HOW can I do better.

Anyways, nice, but I fear after a month or two of being here, you will realize why we do not even bother making these sorts of topics anymore.

To all those saying "it is time this has been made", we have had many of these topics since november 04. However, the graphics section got anally raped, then revived, but all of these topics were deleted. On top of that, nubs never read stickies anyways.

This is an admirable topic, however, I doubt it will do ANYTHING.

Last edited by Corbenk; 09-23-2006 at 01:48 AM.
Corbenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:53 AM   #6
Demi-God
BEST

Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,312 Posts
Demi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to all

Ryan - No need for the quote -.-

Fei - We have tried many times to get this message out to the pricks that still do it but it just doesnt get through, nevertheless Ill sticky this and hope that this time some people might read it.
Demi-God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:03 AM   #7
Mashed Potato
sunshine and biscuits

Mashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei Shou View Post
I've noticed this alot lately, people going "This is my first, second, 912th signature" and whatnot, and kinda using it as an excuse for their skill, or lack of.
Well if it was their first signature, they wouldn't have developed that much skill, would they?

if I made my first sig I would want people to acknowledge that fact 'cause I guess I would want people going easy on me, since i'm only just entering the GFX world

and I think that entire post can be summed up into one sentence:
Use constructive critism.
Mashed Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
OffTheChain

OffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure Evil

i loff you already Fei

but as i said in PM, lets hope it does something lmao
OffTheChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:21 AM   #9
-=(k@k@sh1)=-
Special Jounin

-=(k@k@sh1)=- has a spectacular aura about-=(k@k@sh1)=- has a spectacular aura about-=(k@k@sh1)=- has a spectacular aura about-=(k@k@sh1)=- has a spectacular aura about

nice job on the diligency =D

but for 4th, it's not an excuse that you mean(for beginners), it's just they want the people who critique them to understand their condition. Even though i never said something like that before, i know it =P . But yeah for default brushes etc things sometimes are excuses.

^*Sakura*^

-=(k@k@sh1)=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:06 AM   #10
Takumi
Chuunin

Takumi is an unknown quantity at this point

Fei, great post but it will probably have effect on 5 people at the best, the other 95 noobs will continue with their "OMFG 10/10 aWsoMeSSZZZEE".

On this board people have tried this before and on other boards too, never has the effect everyone wishes for.

Still you deserve credits for making this topic and trying to make the idiots intelligent xD

btw, you sure ur 13? coz most posts by 13-year-olds are the most stupid and childish things ever, if you really are 13, I might start to like people aged under 15 again xD

I treat people the same way they treat me......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend of Mine
You're not George's friend?? But I thought all assholes were each others' friends!
Takumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #11
beautiful-green-beast
Shiddy-Chicken

beautiful-green-beast is an unknown quantity at this point

This looks oddly familiar o.O

Thanks for posting it though. Now, when we flame a noob we can give them the link to this thread...

"The world will look up and shout 'Save us'.
And I'll whisper...no."

-Rorschach
beautiful-green-beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #12
Wave
Custom User Title

Wave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi View Post
Fei, great post but it will probably have effect on 5 people at the best, the other 95 noobs will continue with their "OMFG 10/10 aWsoMeSSZZZEE".
yes i notice that in rate thread...i mean back in the past those types of threads had serious comments now, but yeah now its just random stuff x_x
Old 11-04-2006, 04:13 PM   #13
YoshiToshi
YoshiToshi say grawr.

YoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these parts

This ish bery good. I commend your effort and time into making this. Hopefully dem newbs will read it, though. o.o;
Reppies for j00!!

1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2|hope to be more active...

yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshi toshi
YoshiToshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:08 PM   #14
Wave
Custom User Title

Wave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to beholdWave is a splendid one to behold

^read? x_x doubt it, apparently short attention span is quite common to most lol

hell i use to follow this type of commenting in the past, nowadays with these people ruining it..its like meh 'why bother'
Old 06-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #15
SASUKE GURL
ANBU

SASUKE GURL has much to be proud ofSASUKE GURL has much to be proud ofSASUKE GURL has much to be proud ofSASUKE GURL has much to be proud ofSASUKE GURL has much to be proud ofSASUKE GURL has much to be proud ofSASUKE GURL has much to be proud ofSASUKE GURL has much to be proud ofSASUKE GURL has much to be proud ofSASUKE GURL has much to be proud ofSASUKE GURL has much to be proud of

haha cool cool
nice instructions
SASUKE GURL is offline   Reply With Quote