What book are you currently reading? - Page 69 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Literature

Literature Talk about books that you have read.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #1021
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,264 Posts
Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough
Re: What book are you currently reading?

Reserved for my post. But I have to go drinking now, I'll edit this tomorrow.
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #1022
-SassyLady-
Dysfunctional Sweetheart

Thanked 1,398 Times in 877 Posts
-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough

Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers
Old 01-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #1023
ACt
Heart Wizard

Thanked 18,598 Times in 4,839 Posts
ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Keep up my multiple book run, Dying of the Light by George R. R. Martin.
ACt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #1024
Demi-God
BEST

Thanked 6,491 Times in 2,312 Posts
Demi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to all

I've had to put WoT aside for my dissertation reading and this pile is part of the books I need to go through.

Demi-God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #1025
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,723 Times in 3,844 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

Jesus, how big is the actual pile?
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #1026
Demi-God
BEST

Demi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to allDemi-God is a name known to all

Well, this is the rest of what I have with me at the moment.

Then I have another 4 books in the mail another 10 or so I need to check out from the library once I return the 10 I've already borrowed, then dunno what extra stuff I might get recommended by supervisor or stumble on along the way so add a few more on top. I plan on getting at least a decent grade for this dissertation.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #1027
ACt
Heart Wizard

ACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really niceACt is just really nice

Well, I could stack all the journals and articles that I read... but then a stack of .pdf's doesn't reach very high.
The Following User Says Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Mal (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #1028
Demi-God
BEST

Dammit, you reminded me of the journals too. Thanks Phil, thanks. =_=

Though any good PDF's you have. =D Send 'em over, I wanna learn to be a heart wizard like you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Demi-God For This Useful Post:
ACt (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #1029
ACt
Heart Wizard

Heart Wizard is going on my business card now... when I get one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACt For This Useful Post:
Demi-God (01-29-2011), Mal (01-28-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #1030
kael03
Aspiring Physicist

Thanked 8,723 Times in 3,844 Posts
kael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the roughkael03 is a jewel in the rough

"Homeland" Book 1 of the Dark Elf Trilogy by R. A. Salvatore

I need something to occupy myself until I find a job and can afford new books (like books 3-6 of the Codex: Alera series).
kael03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #1031
-SassyLady-
Dysfunctional Sweetheart

-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough-SassyLady- will become famous soon enough

Currently Songs for a Teenage Nomad by Kim Culbertson.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #1032
Nerox
Mah'alleinir

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,264 Posts
Nerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enoughNerox will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kael03 View Post
Don't let candy read this part. They'll think you have no taste or whatever.
Hehe, I was quite amused by that guy.

Now, finally.

Quote:
I did like Graendal betraying Aran'gar like she did. Makes the power struggle among the Forsaken more realistic instead of just "I'm going to plot away at becoming Nae'blis but not do a damn thing". I did not, however, like that she could use the True Power when it was established earlier that Moridin was the only one allowed to do that. There was no explanation as to why the Dark One granted her access to that. I also figured she was the one behind Asmodean's death, but I'd like to know how she did it instead of having a vague hint from Shaidar Haran.
I was really stoked about Graendal surviving and sacrificing another forsaken for her. And also how she did it, let Aran'gar's pet Aes'sedai weave the compulsion etc. But I thought she might be more of a pain in the ass for Perrin and so on. Her trap for Perrin and the Whitecloaks was kind of obsolete and well, being able to control Slayer to wreak havoc in Tel'aran'rhiod and not using him more...that was weak.

Quote:
Padan Fain is now able to summon Mashadar? Wtf? I thought that was a centralized evil of Shadar Logoth that was destroyed during the cleansing of saidin? Also he goes from being able to kill with a touch to corrupting dead trollocs...what? A little more explanation of this would be nice instead of his 3 pages he got in the book.
Definitly. I was really wondering where Jordan/Sanderson are going with his character. Some kind of Gollum theme? I am still puzzled, and hoping that it will all be resolved in 14.

Quote:
The Asha'man that Taim knocked out is apparently irrelevant now. It's been more than a night since he did that and nothing was said if he lived through the night or not. He was about to tell the Red sisters something and I'd like to know what it was.
Yeah, I would have liked more info on the things going on in the Black Tower. And it all points to a split in the Asha'man in the Last Battle as well. Good vs. Evil.

Quote:
It feels like Sanderson is trying to rush to the Last Battle and is leaving out a few things Jordan alluded to in earlier books. First is Min's viewing of Aviendha carrying Rand's fraternal quadruplets. He's at the border of the Blight and she's in the Waste. I know they can make gateways but with what she saw during her second trip through the pillars combined with her not knowing the grounds near that valley, I don't know how fast she'll get away from the Wise Ones to go get pregnant.
Didn't she already sleep with Rand? But no, that was too long ago. I am puzzled as well as in when Rand will knock her up. Perhaps the night before the Last Battle we will have a nice foursome scene.

Quote:
Logain is apparently MIA now with no explanations.
Logain vs. Taim, I see it...But yes, where the fuck is that guy?

Quote:
Rand needs to deal with the Black Tower before he goes to break the seals. He needs everyone he can get and he's leaving his own men out of the fight? I'm hoping that Sanderson has him Travel to the Black Tower and kill Taim while freeing the corrupted Asha'men, if possible, in Memory of Light.
Rand vs. Taim would be overkill dude. Rand would kill him even shielded by all the Asha'man in the Tower. He has the True Power, and if Taim is not a forsaken, and only a mere dreadlord, I see no survival chance for him. Logain on the other hand, with Aes'sedai linked circles smashing Taim and his supporters, showing that combined power with the sisters is supperior to them, would make a lot of more sense. And it will be more awesome. Also, I think the dude who talked with the Red sister at the end of the book will bond her or the other way around and kick ass. And clearly, the other Aes Sedai are under some kind of compulsion.

Quote:
Slayer was never resolved. I don't like how he was depicted as just a tool for the Forsaken, especially when he's been hunting others on top of hunting Perrin. It's too easy an explanation for his actions and I like him being an unknown factor.
Same here. Like I said before, even as a tool, he could have been much more dangerous. For example, Slayer would have just killed Egwene and the complete Tower in the fight.

Quote:
Manetheren. It needs to happen. I don't like this "Province of Andor" crap resolution that they agreed to. The old blood is surfacing and the people of the Two Rivers hold Perrin as their lord. The flag was found and raised. Manetheren is going to rise as it's own kingdom. I would figure it would rise as an ally to Andor, also. Especially with the marriage arrangements for Perrin and Elayne's children set up in the bargain.
Rand will raise Manetheren I think. And with Elayne becoming the queen of Cairhrien as well, I see at least 2 new Old Kingdoms. The borderlands mybe reformed as well. But fuck it, what about the Seanchan Empire?

Quote:
Now for things I like. I like how powerful of a healer Nynaeve is becoming. She never ceases to amaze me. Now she can heal taint induced madness on everyone except Rand. From what I gathered the "light" she saw in his mind when she Delved him was feeding the madness and it was too far spread for her to Heal.
Damn yes. Nynaeve was the character I liked the least in the beginning and now she is one of my favorite female characters in the series. She and Lan will make bloody fine king and queen of Malkier.
And the delving is awesome. I see male and female channelers working together again after Rand gives Egwene a nice spanking and shows her that Saidin is cleansed.

Quote:
The final confrontation with the gholam was epic. I liked how Mat ended it and his speech at the end.
I am struggling who of Mat and Perrin is my second favorite main character. Mat has awesome abilities and with his lost eye and spear and knowledge, I SAY FUCKING ODIN ! Fuck yeah.

Quote:
Perrin's new hammer being forged by instinct both by him and by Neald's power wrought weaves.
FUCKING THOR ! But yeah the hammer scene was awesome. Perrin will create more power weapons, I can think of one for some of the fighters named more often, like Tallmanes (if he hasn't got one already) or Logain etc.

Quote:
Mesaana's downfall was cool. She was claiming dominance over the world of dreams due to her experience and Egwene left her a child with her own natural Dreamer talent.
Yeah the battle was cool. And the best scene was when Perrin was there and she was like 'sorry Perrin, it is too dangerous here for you here in the Dream' and was about to restrain him. And he just shrugged of the restraints shook his gead and laughed at her. Damn that was awesome. But like I said, Slayer would have annihilated all the Aes Sedai in the Dream, just like that. I wonder why the Forsaken didn't use him to do that.

Another awesomeness, was the battle in this northern city, where Rand unleashed his fury on this enormous trolloc army. Fuck yeah.

Well, let's hope that all the questions will be answered with "A Memory of Light".
Nerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #1033
-SassyLady-
Dysfunctional Sweetheart

Finished with Songs for a Teenage Nomad, and now on some Stephen King Novel called Cell.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #1034
luffyg2
Genin

luffyg2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Currently reading The Lord Of The Ring ... the fellowship of the ring .. again
luffyg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #1035
-SassyLady-
Dysfunctional Sweetheart

Reading : Salem's lot (again for the 15th time) by Stephen King.
It scares me how I read fast.