christmas... - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section

Debates Section Enjoy a good discussion? This is the place for you! Only knowledgeable discussions allowed!

Old 12-19-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
Lily229
Jounin

Lily229 has a spectacular aura aboutLily229 has a spectacular aura aboutLily229 has a spectacular aura aboutLily229 has a spectacular aura aboutLily229 has a spectacular aura about
christmas...

Now before you all think of me as the new female Scrooge, just stop and think for a second. In my personal opinion, I think Christmas has really gone straight to, well literally "Hell," to be blunt. I remember, not even before Halloween was done with, they were showing frickin Christmas specials on tv...in my town it wasn't even the end of November and we had our Christmas parade! Christmas shopping started early this year.....like back in April -.-; OK, THAT'S WHERE I DRAW THE LINE!
I'm Wiccan, I don't really believe in all this "God" stuff BUT, I still think that the true meaning of Christmas has been completely pushed form our minds.
Christmas started out where St. Nick (NOT SANTA CLAUSE!) began delievering presents to poor children, leaving them in their socks now, this once joyous and giving holiday has turned into a "grab-and-go" holiday. Seriously, everyone is always "GIMME! GIMME!" but do we really give? Oh yeah, we give...we give f-ing Nintendo Wii's and kill each other in Wal Mart to buy some f-ing pair of socks because Paris Hilton wears them.
Now I spice a little religion into this. If "Jesus" was born on this day...a day that is suppose to be oh-so Holy, then why have we turned it into something as sinful? Isn't being greedy sinful? So then all you people who go to church Christmas Eve to celebrate Jesus' birth....do you really honestly sit there and pray to him that you are thankful he gave his life to pay for your sins, or do you sit there and think, is Santa is going to ride his fatbutt over to your house and give you that new singing Barbie Dream House you've been asking for? (and yes, i know he wasn't killed on this day I'm just saying >.<)
I just wanna know if anyone else agrees or disagrees with that I just said, I really wanna know how you all feel about this or if I'm just spewing crap out my mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyNinja
*sighs* Horny nee-san. -_-
Horny, pervy nee-san. -_-
*sighs* Oh wow nee-san. -_-
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sakura*
lily- =___='''''''''''''''''''''
*points* from my Nii-chan to me ^^ and don't forget *Sakura*

I'm in college now ^^
Lily229 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
GaaraOfTheDeathSand
Missing-Nin

GaaraOfTheDeathSand has a spectacular aura aboutGaaraOfTheDeathSand has a spectacular aura aboutGaaraOfTheDeathSand has a spectacular aura aboutGaaraOfTheDeathSand has a spectacular aura aboutGaaraOfTheDeathSand has a spectacular aura about
Re: christmas...

That is true. I was thinking the same thing. Everytime I meet someone who celebrates Christmas, all they talk about is what they want. Instead of worshipping the holiday, they take advantage of it and dont give a shit about what the day is supposed to mean. People die or get hurt like they're trying to dominate the world or something when all they try to do is bring some holiday joy to a loved one. I dont go to church(Cause Im Muslim) but when a friend invites me I come along and all and when I get there, people are just praying for what they want not for God or Jesus. Its just selfish. On Christmas day, people in my town go around the giant tree just so they can get a gift(My town buy's gifts for the townpeople)When I first moved here, people would go around the tree singing songs and being together. Now they have mash pits just so they can get they're hands on some stupid Nintendo Wii or Playstation 3.
GaaraOfTheDeathSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:36 PM   #3
Miburo

I agree that people get a little ridiculous when it comes to the shopping. I remember working at Walmart and first learning about Black Friday. My respect for humanity dropped a couple of notches after seeing some guy in his late thirties sprinting across the store to get to the Hotwheels display with a huge fat lady in hot pursuit. Much lulz that day.

But what's the true meaning of Christmas matter anyway? I'm pretty sure Jesus wasn't even really born during the winter, it was spring or some shit. I don't even believe in that crap, but I celebrate Christmas just because it's usually pretty fun getting together with family and exchanging gifts and junk.

For me, the true meaning of Christmas is to have a good time. While it used to be just a religious holiday, it's become more universally celebrated now. It's "true meaning" isn't the same as it's original meaning (Which was probably just to trick pegans into celebrating J-dawg's Birthday anyway) anymore. It's all subjective, really.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
D4rKR34v3r
ANBU

Location: Wow, if you are reading this stop trying to stalk me
D4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud of

Christmas = Kids hording over gifts

they have no spirit, i personally, every christmas stay at home watching Chritsmas specials with my parents. Like where is the love. Christmas is just another halloween for store, they can make a profit over old things they have in stock. i mean like exchanging gifts isn't wrong, but itz gone too far. Christmas sales in November like wtf!!

I was at my friends house on christmas eve, and some charolers came. We were home alone so it was kinda scary, beign 8:30 and having ppl at ur door. But we gave them a donation for their fund and we listned. At the time i was 12 and christmas was great for me. you might think thoe corny movies suck and should o lick some cows, but the have a good morale that not many follow.

I bet you if you walk up to a kid they won't know what christmas means. I Not even christain and i know. It is the Brthday of Jesus Christ thus the name Christmas. Nor child or adult understnads gifts are extra. Like Milburo said christmas has become World Wide. I am Viet/Malay and we celebrate christmas. TO me christmas is a time where we can get together and have fun, and talk and enjoy this single day in a year. Yes again Milburo True and Original meanings are diffferent.

I think the gift part came from the 3 wisemen bringing gifts to the new born baby. So go hord your gifts and wish for something new. Even Best Buy knows that our corrup christmas is about gifts. Sooner or later our world will be of greed and poverty.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:57 PM   #5
drunk_sea_monkey
S-Ranked Shinobi

drunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant futuredrunk_sea_monkey has a brilliant future

Quote:
I think the gift part came from the 3 wisemen bringing gifts to the new born baby. So go hord your gifts and wish for something new. Even Best Buy knows that our corrup christmas is about gifts. Sooner or later our world will be of greed and poverty.
but its wasn't three wisemen tho...

and the 'mas' means festival.

Christmas is just largely secularized and dominated by gifts to most people.

So for the most part Christmas is corrupt like everything else now-a-days for most people. But, there are some of us who still care for 'what' and 'Who' its all about.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:02 PM   #6
D4rKR34v3r
ANBU

Location: Wow, if you are reading this stop trying to stalk me
D4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud ofD4rKR34v3r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk_sea_monkey View Post
but its wasn't three wisemen tho...

and the 'mas' means festival.

Christmas is just largely secularized and dominated by gifts to most people.

So for the most part Christmas is corrupt like everything else now-a-days for most people. But, there are some of us who still care for 'what' and 'Who' its all about.
really well i know it was ppl that brought gifts to baby jesus. All i can say. So all i can add is Spend time with your family, because we could all be gone at any givinen moment.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 PM   #7
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

It's as simple as this: People are self-centered pricks.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:50 PM   #8
G
S-Ranked Negro

Thanked 1,261 Times in 458 Posts
G has a reputation beyond reputeG has a reputation beyond reputeG has a reputation beyond reputeG has a reputation beyond reputeG has a reputation beyond reputeG has a reputation beyond reputeG has a reputation beyond reputeG has a reputation beyond reputeG has a reputation beyond reputeG has a reputation beyond reputeG has a reputation beyond repute

The true meaning of Christmas is truely gone in most of the world and theres not way around that. Material things are all most people care about these days( myself included to a point) when it comes to Christmas.

/Short and Sweet
Old 12-20-2006, 01:40 AM   #9
Vanity
Succumb

Thanked 5,991 Times in 2,240 Posts
Vanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really nice

Agreeing with the rest of you in the sense that Christmas is now based around materialism.

BUT to find the true meaning of Christmas? It is different things for different people.

Some it’s spending time with family/getting satisfaction out of ‘giving’/Celebrating Christ’s Birth.

So not matter how much you whine about it, realize it varies depending on the person. Even if you DON’T believe in God, others do.

Soooo, find what ever it is you celebrate during Christmas, and don’t worry about the world around you. Because then, concern for how shitty and self absorbed our earth is turns into bitching.
Speak to me.
Why do you never speak?
Speak.
What are you thinking of?
What thinking?
What?

I never know what you are thinking.
Think.
Vanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:43 AM   #10
YoshiToshi
YoshiToshi say grawr.

YoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these parts

Although Christmas was a holiday which was made to celebrate Jesus' birth, not everyone's a Christian. I myself, am a Christian; but I don't go to church on Christmas Eve like all my other friends and/or Christian relatives do. Instead I'm downing some booze and hanging with my cousins. UnChristian-like? You bet. But I don't whine to all my relatives for gifts, I don't totally get into the "christmas" season, where everyone buys eachother gifts and what-not. I shop for my friend's stuff when I see something they'd like. I keep it in my closet until it's their b-day or christmas, whip it out and give it to them.

I haven't EVER been Christmas shopping before, in the craze of everything. But my friend took me last week. ..... <_< I'm not gonna go ever again.

Although I admit that Christmas is fun, and that giving is better than getting, but that's just not how the world thinks.
"Buy more gifts! Buy more gifts" over and over and over again; until you have bought something for everyone from your grandma all the way down to your friend's brother. Honestly, I didn't even buy gifts for all my friends. Only my close friends. It's just stupid to go out and spend ALL your cash buying all thise stuff for people you don't even know.

1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2|hope to be more active...

yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshi toshi
YoshiToshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:56 AM   #11
Vanity
Succumb

Thanked 5,991 Times in 2,240 Posts
Vanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really niceVanity is just really nice

I totally agree. -_-

I find it extremely hard to be ‘jolly’ and in the ‘Christmas Spirit’ because...

Who the hell is happy when you’re standing in line at 2 o’clock in the afternoon, grumpy and hungry, being rudely shoved past, glared at, yelled at, and all those other unpleasant things, buying a gift for someone you may not necessarily hate or not know, but are just greedy and don’t deserve it? Who are most likely gonna complain because you’d didn’t get um what they wanted or w/e?

I submit that it is VERY difficult. Because even if YOUR not stressed, someone you’re close to usually is. And that’s never fun...
Speak to me.
Why do you never speak?
Speak.
What are you thinking of?
What thinking?
What?

I never know what you are thinking.
Think.
Vanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:02 PM   #12
halibut14
Genin

Location: the depths of the abyss of the underworld! BUHAHAHAHA
halibut14 is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm a devoted christian and whenever some1 asks me about christmas i tell them the true meaning and i acknowledge the true meaning alot Jesus's birth and such. but i do think most people have twisted the meaning.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:38 PM   #13
DarkAztek
Sand Man

DarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to all

Heh. I think the Charlie Brown Christmas Special best explains this beef you have, Lily. Yes, the holiday has been commercialized... But so has every other holiday. Everything now is about making the money. However, that does not mean that society is a bunch of morally corrupt people with no true values.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5TF4U36GFg

That's the true meaning of Christmas. Be a good person and be happy because something wonderful happened. (If you aren't Christian, then the meaning only slightly changes... Christmas is a time to be happy with everything that has been given to us. Find something special and celebrate it. We give gifts to one another to be a little less selfless. We help the needy.)

That is what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown. Er, I mean Lily.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/HookerBodyShots/shark.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[center][b]Filler content[/b][/center]
DarkAztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #14
Jaxon
CHEEKI BREEKI

Thanked 12,473 Times in 3,664 Posts
Jaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to beholdJaxon is a splendid one to behold

Pretty much what DA/Peanuts said.

Christmas is a time, at least for me, to appreciate my family and being together with them with no pressures of work or the realities of modern life.

The presents are just a bonus ;]
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:45 PM   #15
sheik
S-Ranked Shinobi

sheik will become famous soon enoughsheik will become famous soon enoughsheik will become famous soon enough

Today all they show on christmas is commerical where a guy dressed as Santa going "WOW!!!! These new MP3 players will make a great stocking stuffer, especially for only 29.99, so come down to walmart!!!HO HO HO!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS"
It is almost like we lost the true meaning of christmas and all we want to see is how many gifts we are getting or how more expensive or better my christmas was than yours. Commercials on T.V. has whored out Santa like a 5 dollar prostitute. All they show is how you should get to their store and buy everything because it is cheaper.
The part I hate most about christmas is those jewelry commercials where they show some women get a diamond ring or necklace for christmas and she starts crying and kisses her husband. Then they tell you "MAKE YOUR WIFE HAPPY TODAY WITH THE NEW DIAMAND RING FOR ONLY $400 DOLLARS!!!!! Then that play that tune "Every kiss begins with Kay"
It seems we lost the true meaning of Christmas but there will always be someone who remembers the true way to celebrate.

P.S. I almost forgot about those church commercials that try and say, JESUS WASN'T BORN ON CHRISTMAS SO STOP GIVING HIM A BIRTHDAY AND GO DOWN TO THE STORE AND GET MY INSPIRATIONAL BOOK "Jesus wasn't born on Christmas" FOR ONLY 19.99!!!!!! IN MY BOOK I DEBUNK ALL THE MYTHS ABOUT HIM BEING BORN ON CHRISTMAS AND WHEN YOU ORDER MY BOOK YOU GET A FREE BABY JESUS BOOKMARK!!!!JUST PAY EXTRA SHIPPING AND HANDLING!!!!!! GET IT NOW BECAUSE SUPPLIES ARE LIMITED! CALL 555-4567. ALSO IF YOU CALL IN THE NEXT 5 MINUTES YOU WILL RECIEVE MY OTHER BOOK "God Is Life" for only 9.99!

Who cares if Jesus wasn't born on christmas. You can still pray to him and tell him Happy Birthday anyways. Does it really matter that he may have not been born on Christmas? It is not going to stop him from loving each and everyone of his creations.

What happened to Typhoon_4434?
made by rasenganfox

Last edited by sheik; 12-21-2006 at 08:47 PM.
sheik is offline   Reply With Quote