Martial Arts!!! - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk about anything here that does not fit the other categories.

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
kakashi_00x000
Chuunin

kakashi_00x000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Martial Arts!!!

Hey, who does any kind of martial art? how long have you done it? what belt/rank are you? what other martial arts interest you? also, do you compeat at all?

and if you DON'T do martial arts, which do you think looks coolest?

Myself, I've done karate for 7 or so years (half my life!) I'm a blue belt. I also think aikido and ninjutsu are cool. and i've been to a fair number of turnaments, the biggest being the nationals in 2000. and i'm going to a turnament in thunder bay this weekend!!!!!!(it's 7 hour drive).

-History is like an Endless Waltz in three-four time. The Never-Ending steps of War, Peace and Revolution.
-\/\/HY (4n't w3 f33l wh4t 1t t4k35 f02 u5 t0 83 234l-why d0 w3 54y 4ll 0f th353 th1ng5 th4t 821ng u5 d0wn

Old 02-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #2
Aruko
ANBU

Aruko will become famous soon enoughAruko will become famous soon enoughAruko will become famous soon enough
I take Tae-Kwon Do.
I have done so for 5 or 6 years now.
I am (as of last Friday night) a Red belt.

I have done tournaments but I have stopped since the rules mean nothing. Say the rule if you make CONTACT with the head you are disqualified no BUTS! But I was in a sparring match and just got CLOCKED in the head with a front punch and they didn't disqualify the person. That pissed me off and detered me from tournaments. I have always gotten 1st place in my patterns but I don't believe I have ever gotten 1st in sparring.

I am interested in Tai-Chi, Shotokan Karate, Kung Fu, Drunken Boxing, and a few others.

Old 02-23-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
Vermilion
Chuunin

Vermilion is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to do ninjutsu. But I got lazy.

¨´
Old 02-23-2005, 07:36 PM   #4
[Daisuke]
Eeeek!

[Daisuke] is an unknown quantity at this point
I do (am currently out of training due to being at University) Aikido, have done it for over 3 years, and am first degree blackbelt. Some people may think that this is too quick to be a shodan, but that's their opinion, and you don't know how intensively I've trained either. It's said that you can become a shodan in 3 and a half years doing the Shudokan style of aikido training for 2 hours a week. I trained on average 4+ times a week for 20 months, to recieve my shodan. I know thats very quick, but I earnt it. My sensei said I pick up the martial art extremely well and deserved it. since then my trainings slowed down due to running another branch club of the style, which I've had to give up but still visit every so often when I'm on holidays from university.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:37 PM   #5
mini
Jesus Freak

mini is on a distinguished road
taekwon doe - 3rd degree black i think?
hapkido-black then quit
gumdo-black xD n quit

wanna do taekwondoe again 2 help my tricking, havent tricked in a long time
>>
<<
Old 02-23-2005, 08:46 PM   #6
Freshgrease
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Thanked 1,005 Times in 546 Posts
Freshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to all
I wanted to do it when I was young but my parents didn't allow me to take any form of martial arts. Is it too late (not technically, but theortically) ifor me to start up doing karate? I think one of the courses I can take at the university I am going to next year has some form of martial arts. Then I'll be in the ROTC, so I might get something out of that as well. (Texas A&M if you are wondering.)
Old 02-23-2005, 10:20 PM   #7
nelsonkong
S-Ranked Shinobi

nelsonkong is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini
taekwon doe - 3rd degree black i think?
hapkido-black then quit
gumdo-black xD n quit

wanna do taekwondoe again 2 help my tricking, havent tricked in a long time
>>
<<
Wow Mini...you are super....(better stay away... XD)
me..I have learned nothing..my parent say no when i am small....What to do..too late to pick up one now. But i like Karate, seems cool.

Ma Sis : Sakatsu, Bubblezio
Old 02-24-2005, 01:12 AM   #8
DarkAztek
Sand Man

DarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to all
I took Isshinryu for about 8 or so years before being forced to give it up because of time restraints. For those who don't know, it is a style completely honed from Okinawa, Japan and, well, look up the rest yourselves. I reached my second dan black belt and it was a hell of a lot of fun. There are no real "tournaments," per se for this style of karate, because it would all come down to "who can take the most punishment." There are, however, demonstration and mass gatherings and the like... I went to a few of those.

Come September or so, I will gain quite a bit of time and am hoping to learn a completely different style of martial arts, for the diligent training required by my former style literally was the most physically exhausting thing I've ever done. I saw a demonstration of Aikido once and it looked like fun, perhaps, if I can find a center to learn it, I'll take it. Daisuke, know of any places near Allentown, PA?
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/HookerBodyShots/shark.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[center][b]Filler content[/b][/center]
Old 02-24-2005, 01:36 AM   #9
abedin
Genin

abedin is an unknown quantity at this point
i do 'silat' (malaysia tradisional martial art).. i also do taekwan-do... i used to do 'tomoi'(thailand kickboxing) for 2 years... but recently i stopped for a while to focus on my studies...

~~~YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE~~~
Old 02-24-2005, 05:24 AM   #10
Hooded_Ninja
Chuunin

Hooded_Ninja is an unknown quantity at this point
I am currently doing Karate and reached the second degree a few weeks ago, being the yellow belt.

I did Judo back in Malaysia for a while, also reached the yellow belt I think...But stopped.

I wanna learn Kendo and maybe Tai Kwon Do!
Old 02-24-2005, 07:15 AM   #11
Phlemingo
Chuunin

Phlemingo is an unknown quantity at this point
Too many people are learning martial arts today. It is no longer "cool". What's more, the standards are decreasing more and more. I'm not saying I'm good... Taekwondo poom belt, but who cares. It just gets so boring.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:25 AM   #12
[Daisuke]
Eeeek!

[Daisuke] is an unknown quantity at this point
Unfortunately I can only recommend the Shudokan Aikido school, adn they're all in the UK. Other than that, my advice would be to look for somewhere with a good base of students, ranging through the grades, and ask about their lineage, i.e. traditional or yoshinkan etc. and if possible, go for Yoshinkan as that was the branch shudokan was developed from. It is an awesome martial art if taught correctly. Good luck =]
Old 02-24-2005, 04:25 PM   #13
Sakatsu
Jounin

Sakatsu is just really niceSakatsu is just really niceSakatsu is just really niceSakatsu is just really niceSakatsu is just really niceSakatsu is just really niceSakatsu is just really nice
I used to be in Tae-Kwon Do....

I had to quit, unfortunally because I was *cough*poor*cough*.

<_< ... >_>

I didn't get very far it it either, but when I do become less *cough*poor*cough* I would like to take it again.....
Support Local Music!

No infraction without representation, biotches!1!

This is the Symphony of the Damned.

Knowledge Is Power!
Old 02-24-2005, 06:48 PM   #14
kakashi_00x000
Chuunin

kakashi_00x000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlemingo
Too many people are learning martial arts today. It is no longer "cool". What's more, the standards are decreasing more and more. I'm not saying I'm good... Taekwondo poom belt, but who cares. It just gets so boring.
I don't like you. I think it's still "cool". It's not the number of people doing Martial arts, it's the number of people doing good martial arts. Such as aikido, which I think looks pretty cool.

Thanks people for posting, there are a lot of martial arts out there and it's cool to see so many people showing interest in them. I just think martial arts in general are super sweet. My favorite of being Karate...since it's the only one I've done. I do Tsurouko (or something) style karate.

Sakatsu - Too bad man.
mini - What's tricking?
Vermilion - slacker, where'd you do ninjutsu, isn't it inposible to find real ninjutsu taught anywhere by somebody who's competent?
aruko samaki - by patterns, I believe you mean katas.

YA!

-History is like an Endless Waltz in three-four time. The Never-Ending steps of War, Peace and Revolution.
-\/\/HY (4n't w3 f33l wh4t 1t t4k35 f02 u5 t0 83 234l-why d0 w3 54y 4ll 0f th353 th1ng5 th4t 821ng u5 d0wn
Old 02-24-2005, 08:55 PM   #15
mini
Jesus Freak

mini is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashi_00x000
I don't like you. I think it's still "cool". It's not the number of people doing Martial arts, it's the number of people doing good martial arts. Such as aikido, which I think looks pretty cool.

Thanks people for posting, there are a lot of martial arts out there and it's cool to see so many people showing interest in them. I just think martial arts in general are super sweet. My favorite of being Karate...since it's the only one I've done. I do Tsurouko (or something) style karate.

Sakatsu - Too bad man.
mini - What's tricking?
Vermilion - slacker, where'd you do ninjutsu, isn't it inposible to find real ninjutsu taught anywhere by somebody who's competent?
aruko samaki - by patterns, I believe you mean katas.

YA!
OMGGg
>>
<<
WUTS TRICKING?!?!
http://bilang.com/
http://www.thefiveelements.tk/
http://www.xendynasty.com/
tricking is a combination of martial arts and gymnatisic
member in the movies where ppl walked up the wall in flipped over i can do that i love that xD daisuke is a tricking n00bie :P
Closed Thread