Parents Stunt Growth Of Disabled Daughter - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section

Debates Section Enjoy a good discussion? This is the place for you! Only knowledgeable discussions allowed!

Old 01-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
SteveX
Genin

SteveX is an unknown quantity at this point
Parents Stunt Growth Of Disabled Daughter

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...r=HOME_2332076

Some of you may have heard about this, if not the link is above. Basically, the parents of a 9 year old girl with severe brain damage had her undergo surgery to remove her uterus and breast tissue. She was also given hormones to stunt her growth.

Do you think the parents were right in doing this?

My main problem is this; what if, for arguments sake say withing the next 10 years, develop a treatment for people with severe brain damage which could enable them to live normal lives. Given the advances in technology, it is not an absurd thing to think that something like this could happen during the girl's lifetime.

By purposely stunting her growth, you have taken away the girl's chance to ever live a normal life, whether or not they develop a treatment.

I am interested in knowing how other people here feel about the subject.

Proud Member of the Sealed Chain FC

Proud Member of the Hokage Power FC- PM sharinganchakra5551 to join

Proud Member of the ~Naruto Addicts FC~
SteveX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
sheik
S-Ranked Shinobi

sheik will become famous soon enoughsheik will become famous soon enoughsheik will become famous soon enough
Re: Parents Stunt Growth Of Disabled Daughter

I think that they should have waited a little longer for the future. I suspect by the year 2020 they will have an advancement in brain technology and there will be more options availible. I think they did it a bit too soon.

What happened to Typhoon_4434?
made by rasenganfox

sheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:18 PM   #3
Matonly1T
ANBU

Matonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these parts

No offense but what advances in medical technology? The most revolutionary medical breakthrough that saved lives was discovered long ago in the past, washing your hands before a operation to get rid of germs. I highlydoubt there will be surgery in the near future for "a treatment for people with severe brain damage which could enable them to live normal lives"

From the Article
Quote:
Ashley's parents say keeping her small will help reduce risks for bedsores and other conditions that can afflict bedridden patients. Also, they say preventing her from going through puberty means she will not experience the discomfort of having periods or growing breasts that might develop breast cancer, which runs in the family.
I think they did the right thing saving her from unnescessary pain, plus what kind of mother would she be in that kind of state so I dont see the problem with removing her uterus. Shes almost comatose <sp?> think about this, what kind of life will she have after her parents are gone? They send these kind of people to the same sort of place people who are insane goto. They're taken advantage of and are treated horribly. The brain is a sensitive piece of equipment for the body its why people can't kemo cancer thats located there.

Co-Owner

Last edited by Matonly1T; 01-06-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Matonly1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:59 PM   #4
SteveX
Genin

SteveX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matonly1T View Post
No offense but what advances in medical technology? The most revolutionary medical breakthrough that saved lives was discovered long ago in the past, washing your hands before a operation to get rid of germs. I highlydoubt there will be surgery in the near future for "a treatment for people with severe brain damage which could enable them to live normal lives"
Medicine has made leaps and bounds since the discovery of washing your hands. Here is a video clip about a man in Quebec who recieved a mechanical heart *Warning: some footage of the surgery* http://www.ibctoday.com/News/ViewNew...wsItemId=12768

How about a cybernetic eye that allows the blind to see?
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/102/C7184/
It may not be what we define as sight, but would you rather see outlines and flashes or just absolute darkness?

My point is, there is a chance that sometime during this girls life they could find a way to help those with severe brain damage. And by having her get surgery to stunt her growth, you making it so that she will have a chance at a normal life.

Proud Member of the Sealed Chain FC

Proud Member of the Hokage Power FC- PM sharinganchakra5551 to join

Proud Member of the ~Naruto Addicts FC~
SteveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:56 AM   #5
shadowclone
Genbu

shadowclone is just really niceshadowclone is just really niceshadowclone is just really niceshadowclone is just really niceshadowclone is just really niceshadowclone is just really niceshadowclone is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveX View Post

My point is, there is a chance that sometime during this girls life they could find a way to help those with severe brain damage. And by having her get surgery to stunt her growth, you making it so that she will have a chance at a normal life.
yes you might be right. there may be a "cure" for her condition sometime in her lifetime. yet again, there might not. therefore, the parents did what they thought was best at the time to prolong her life.

So true.

shadowclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
Matonly1T
ANBU

Matonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these partsMatonly1T is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveX View Post
Medicine has made leaps and bounds since the discovery of washing your hands. Here is a video clip about a man in Quebec who recieved a mechanical heart *Warning: some footage of the surgery* http://www.ibctoday.com/News/ViewNew...wsItemId=12768

How about a cybernetic eye that allows the blind to see?
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/102/C7184/
It may not be what we define as sight, but would you rather see outlines and flashes or just absolute darkness?

The cybernetic eye is not a medical breakthrough <yet> its been tested on 16 people without any release of information on a possiblity of releasing the precedure to the public or how they've reacted to the new eye. Even after a long time alot of peoples bodies have rejected the mechanical hearts. So its not a huge advance.

Co-Owner

Last edited by Matonly1T; 01-07-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #7
narut012
Chuunin

narut012 is a jewel in the roughnarut012 is a jewel in the roughnarut012 is a jewel in the roughnarut012 is a jewel in the roughnarut012 is a jewel in the roughnarut012 is a jewel in the rough

patience... the parents should have waited

Sasuke Hater FC Link - http://www.narutolounge.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17071
narut012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
DarkAztek
Sand Man

DarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to all

You guys are being quite naive. You cannot compare the brain to any other organ in the body. In sheer complexity, it would be comparing a keychain calculator to the most modern and updated of computers. The brain cannot be stimulated to grow more cells. Even stem cell researchers will tell you that what they are doing cannot heal a person with brain damage. It's permanent.

When someone gets the type of brain damage that the little girl has, they're gone. Forever. No medical procedure will ever be able to help her because of the very nature of the brain's cells and how they work together. Medical science has a better chance at regrowing a person's ARM than anything you guys are suggesting.

But what is the right thing for the parents to do? To be honest, I'm not sure. What they're doing was a pre-emtive strike with the removal of the breast tissue... As for the rest of what she did, I can't even classify it. I need some time to think about what happened before I can say, with better clarity, what should or should not have happened.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/HookerBodyShots/shark.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[center][b]Filler content[/b][/center]
DarkAztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:57 PM   #9
Matonly1T
ANBU

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAztek View Post
You guys are being quite naive. You cannot compare the brain to any other organ in the body. In sheer complexity, it would be comparing a keychain calculator to the most modern and updated of computers. The brain cannot be stimulated to grow more cells. Even stem cell researchers will tell you that what they are doing cannot heal a person with brain damage. It's permanent.

When someone gets the type of brain damage that the little girl has, they're gone. Forever. No medical procedure will ever be able to help her because of the very nature of the brain's cells and how they work together. Medical science has a better chance at regrowing a person's ARM than anything you guys are suggesting.

But what is the right thing for the parents to do? To be honest, I'm not sure. What they're doing was a pre-emtive strike with the removal of the breast tissue... As for the rest of what she did, I can't even classify it. I need some time to think about what happened before I can say, with better clarity, what should or should not have happened.
I completely agree, I suppose its like putting a magnet too a computer. There are usually unseen difficulties/consquences in operations that affect/alter the body. We wont know until she either passes away of old age or sooner.

Co-Owner
Old 01-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #10
Narutobaka
Chuunin

Narutobaka is just really niceNarutobaka is just really niceNarutobaka is just really niceNarutobaka is just really niceNarutobaka is just really niceNarutobaka is just really niceNarutobaka is just really nice

Unfortunately the brain is alot more complex than the heart. There have been trials with surgeries on the brain to help people fight dperession, but it's not had a affect of curing it.

And like DA, I'll come back when I take a closer look at things. See what the parents website says.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #11
flareofdragon
Hunter-Nin

flareofdragon is on a distinguished roadflareofdragon is on a distinguished road

I think the parent did what they thought was right. And thinking about it, they did no wrong. One might object against it like the quoted guy was (what was it, that parents want children to stay as kids?), but they speak in general terms. They did not harm the child.

First of all, there is no chance (well 0.00000001) of being able to cure the brain by the time the child grows up. The brain is a very complex circuit, its not like an architecture that can be copied. Their relative maturity is limited to an infant's, and it is tremendously harsh to take care of a 20 year old person that can only act like a babe. The parents must feel guilty for not being able to do stuff with her, and this way it is better for everyone.

And the brain is even more than any other organ. The child needs it for memory, for judgment, and since this organ is restricted already, she most likely has no knowledge of what happened beforehand. We are not talking about minimal brain damage here, this has to be a severe attack for the parents to be driven that far. Even if the child was given a mechanical brain, she will have to start off like a 3-4 month old.

I can't imagine this "brain" being a tiny machine, it will most likely be like a colossal room like thing. And that kind of living is unimaginable, for the parents and a kid (financially as well). This child is a child forever, and that is how she will stay.

flareofdragon.deviantart.com

Last edited by flareofdragon; 01-07-2007 at 09:57 PM.
flareofdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #12
skwee
Hunter-Nin

skwee is infamous around these partsskwee is infamous around these partsskwee is infamous around these parts

look at it this way,yes there could be advances in the future,but she might not have had the time to live that long and im sure she can live a normal life wit stunted growth(with proper time medicine and,mabye pychological therapy) people in weelchairs live noemal lives why cant she?

the point is she could(if i understand corectlly)died before other help was found,and it was right of the parents to do so for her

"There are things you want to hear,and things you need to hear,
and I am here to tell them to you..."-Skwee

Last edited by skwee; 01-08-2007 at 01:25 PM.
skwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #13
sheik
S-Ranked Shinobi

sheik will become famous soon enoughsheik will become famous soon enoughsheik will become famous soon enough

Well since the bann on stem cells that possibility is out the window. Stem Cells was about the only hope for that girl. Unless out of some wierd miracle stem cells become legal then she is going to have a hard road down life.

What happened to Typhoon_4434?
made by rasenganfox

sheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:44 PM   #14
YoshiToshi
YoshiToshi say grawr.

YoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these parts

Well, although mental disabilities can't be healed through medical purposes, there are still miracles. If I were the parents, I think I would've waited at least 5 years... She was only 9, afterall. And I wouldn't really get my hopes up for the medial advances, although technology has been leaping in the last couple years, I don't think they'll develop a cure for brain illness/disability anytime soon, considering that the brain is extremely complex, and such a matter is very fragile.

1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2|hope to be more active...

yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshi toshi
YoshiToshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:07 AM   #15
skwee
Hunter-Nin

skwee is infamous around these partsskwee is infamous around these partsskwee is infamous around these parts

I agree,while what they did was right it couldnt have hurt to wait before the did it

"There are things you want to hear,and things you need to hear,
and I am here to tell them to you..."-Skwee
skwee is offline   Reply With Quote