Vegan couple sentenced to life over baby's death - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section

Debates Section Enjoy a good discussion? This is the place for you! Only knowledgeable discussions allowed!

Old 05-09-2007, 11:36 PM   #1
ApatheticDimwit
ಠ_ಠ

ApatheticDimwit is infamous around these partsApatheticDimwit is infamous around these partsApatheticDimwit is infamous around these partsApatheticDimwit is infamous around these partsApatheticDimwit is infamous around these partsApatheticDimwit is infamous around these parts
Vegan couple sentenced to life over baby's death

ATLANTA - A vegan couple were sentenced Wednesday to life in prison for the death of their malnourished 6-week-old baby boy, who was fed a diet largely consisting of soy milk and apple juice.

Superior Court Judge L.A. McConnell imposed the mandatory sentences on Jade Sanders, 27, and Lamont Thomas, 31. Their son, Crown Shakur, weighed just 3 1/2 pounds when he died of starvation on April 25, 2004.

The couple were found guilty May 2 of malice murder, felony murder, involuntary manslaughter and cruelty to children. A jury deliberated about seven hours before returning the guilty verdicts.
Story continues below ↓advertisement

Defense lawyers said the first-time parents did the best they could while adhering to the lifestyle of vegans, who typically use no animal products. They said Sanders and Thomas did not realize the baby, who was born at home, was in danger until minutes before he died.

But prosecutors said the couple intentionally neglected their child and refused to take him to the doctor even as the baby’s body wasted away.

“No matter how many times they want to say, ‘We’re vegans, we’re vegetarians,’ that’s not the issue in this case,” said prosecutor Chuck Boring. “The child died because he was not fed. Period.”

Although the life sentences were automatic, Sanders and Thomas begged for leniency before sentencing. Sanders urged the judge to look past his “perception” of the couple.

“I loved my son — and I did not starve him,” she said.

When the judge told the defendants they could ask for a new trial, Thomas hung his head low.

“I’m dying every day in there,” he said, “and that could take three years.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18574603/?GT1=9951

Do you think they deserve life in prison? Personally I think it's ridiculous that they didn't notice their own child wasting away and that they deserve to be in prison.
ApatheticDimwit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #2
LonelyNinja

Re: Vegan couple sentenced to life over baby's death

While they do deserve to serve time for inadvertedly causing their kid's death, a life sentence seems a little harsh, in my opinion.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:02 AM   #3
Miburo

It's not really 'inadvertently' killing the little guy if you intentionally feed it next to nothing and don't take it to the doctor when it's obviously under-weight.

Extreme stupidity and deciding to force your fairly stupid lifestyle on an infant aren't justifiable excuses for killing a little kid. I think their sentences are pretty fair.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:32 AM   #4
Kekkei Genkai
Chuunin

Location: Somewhere someplace doing something, meeting someone somehow
Kekkei Genkai is an unknown quantity at this point

Mmm, I would conclude this as irresponsibility and should have known that just a simple diet for a kid that young would result in malnourishment. It's just a misunderstanding of raising children. Personally, I kind of feel sorry for the couple but then again, it's common sense that a kid that young needs intensive care and giving him food that doesn't suit children at that age is never acceptable. Life in prison is harsh, but what is done is done.
Kekkei Genkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
lufia
Genin

lufia is an unknown quantity at this point

thats a heavy punishment unlike australia, very lenient on their sentencers.

life in prison...the judge/jury might be subjected to the influence of subjectivity but i believe not, they go through alot of work and are scrutinized heavily to archieve impartiality.

The couple very well could of been sick bastards but it is not portrayed in this article. The media has a habit of twisting the truth in many ways to attract an audience so not much faith can be trusted in this news article for the whole story.

My conclusion atm, they deserved it.

my unworthy sons ...convert to the darkside my child >D evil fc co-leader & member of square-enix fc
My love is SasuSaku4life!
lufia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
sand_illusions
Jounin

sand_illusions is a name known to allsand_illusions is a name known to allsand_illusions is a name known to allsand_illusions is a name known to allsand_illusions is a name known to allsand_illusions is a name known to allsand_illusions is a name known to allsand_illusions is a name known to allsand_illusions is a name known to allsand_illusions is a name known to all

how they didn't know that he was not dying is amazing to me.

6 weeks old???
while I understand soy milk (i babysit kids that use that) feeding a 6 month old baby apple juice is NOT a good thing. There is TOO much sugar in apple juice, let alone it is TOO harsh on their stomach.

I could not say whether prison or not...but not knowing about feeding him properly (intentionally or unintentionally) is a TRUE sign of lack of responsiblility AND maturity...

this story is just sad....V_V

[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnticitizenOne View Post
Christian Girls ftw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kites View Post
20/10 Christianity FTW
"]

We live in the HERE and NOW
so don't worry about what will happen tomorrow, todays troubles are enough for today-Matthew 6:34
sand_illusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:41 AM   #7
Raidder
Academy Student

Raidder is on a distinguished road

I don't think the vegan lifestyle is stupid, but the way these parents went about it is. Well, more like they were under-informed as to how to care for a vegan baby. If the couple had asked for nutritional help on their first visit to the doctor (months before the child was born, going vegan isn't a choice you make overnight), the child would have been fine. A vegan baby requires many supplements to it's diet, and should have little to no fruit juices, escpecially citrus, as the acidity is bad for their stomachs and developing teeth.

As for getting the life sentence, if malicious intent is proven then it is well deserved.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:20 AM   #8
YoshiToshi
YoshiToshi say grawr.

YoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these parts

I think that couple would try drinking just soy milk and apple juice everyday; see if they feel full after every meal.
Honestly, even if they didn't mean to kill the baby, they should've been more aware and such. >_>

1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2|hope to be more active...

yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshi toshi
YoshiToshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
DarkAztek
Sand Man

DarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to allDarkAztek is a name known to all

Wow. Just... Wow. Mammals NEED THE BREAST MILK OF THEIR MOTHER. Each mammal has a specific kind of breast milk that contains just the right amount of fats and sugars to keep a baby healthy and for them to grow as quickly as possible.

These parents are morons. You cannot treat a baby to a "vegan" lifestyle! For fuck's sake, soy milk even has a warning on the side that says it is not to be used for infants in place of breast milk! (I know, I drink soy.) These people deserve life in prison just for their stupidity.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/HookerBodyShots/shark.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[center][b]Filler content[/b][/center]
DarkAztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #10
Babyface BK
<3===BK

Thanked 1,856 Times in 844 Posts
Babyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant future

I don't think the death was intentional. They were trying to keep their baby healthy, that is not a crime. Although they could've fed the baby a little more. The fact that they kept the baby on a strict diet clearly states they deserve to be punished but i think life imprisonment is too much.

"The road to success is always under construction. "
Babyface BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:52 PM   #11
Urbane_Name
Genin

Urbane_Name is an unknown quantity at this point

They defently deserve jail time, I don't think it was intentional, however it was defently neglagent.Not sure about the life sentence though, a softer sentence maybe.

The quiet corner:
"]

Urbane_Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
Nexus
Susano'o Legend

Nexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant futureNexus has a brilliant future

While believing that these two should serve some jail time, I think that serving life in jail is just too much. 5 or 6 years would've sufficed...

[
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #13
skwee
Hunter-Nin

skwee is infamous around these partsskwee is infamous around these partsskwee is infamous around these parts

i think they shouldnt have made him vegan that young,heres my reasons
1.being vegan is a choice that a baby cant make on its own
2.the baby was severly deprived of nutrition,even as a vegan there are ways to supplement a baby other than soy and apple juice.
3.even though your vegen you still use hospitals,the parents should have taken the baby to the hospital when he was fading away into malnutrition

Because of this I beleave they deserve it,but I am sad they lost there baby

"There are things you want to hear,and things you need to hear,
and I am here to tell them to you..."-Skwee
skwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:37 PM   #14
flareofdragon
Hunter-Nin

flareofdragon is on a distinguished roadflareofdragon is on a distinguished road

Uhm, honestly, even I knew that you had to feed the baby its mother's milk. Seriously, thats not something you need to learn, that should come naturally.

flareofdragon.deviantart.com
flareofdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #15
skwee
Hunter-Nin

skwee is infamous around these partsskwee is infamous around these partsskwee is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flareofdragon View Post
Uhm, honestly, even I knew that you had to feed the baby its mother's milk. Seriously, thats not something you need to learn, that should come naturally.
There are other ways to feed a baby other tan breast milk,even at the early stages.But breast milk is without a doubt the best way to feed a child.Regardless of breastmilk and it's nutritional values,It's clear the parents had no idea what they were doing.

"There are things you want to hear,and things you need to hear,
and I am here to tell them to you..."-Skwee
skwee is offline   Reply With Quote