Science or God? - Page 7 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums



Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section

Debates Section Enjoy a good discussion? This is the place for you! Only knowledgeable discussions allowed!

View Poll Results: Science, God or Something else?
Science 7 23.33%
God 17 56.67%
My own idea 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2005, 10:57 PM   #91
Mal
Scotch
 
Mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,090
Thanks: 12,722
Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrin
Genetic mutations aren't random occurences. Evolution has to do with the idea that creatures with helpful natural variations survive better than those without them, and they pass the traits on to their offspring.
Those "helpful natural variations" are genetic mutations, in theory they occur at random and, more often than not, aren't helpful. If a mutation is helpful, the creature will survive, breed, and possibly pass on that mutation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrin
Over millions of years and many environment changes, evolution makes a lot of sense. Each animal is highly adapted to its particular environment. It's why creatures from different sides of the world that have similar environments are similar. Also, there are so many small differences between many species. It's hard to imagine why God would create so many small variations when the common ancestor that sprouted them survived in its environment in the first place. If there is geology, there is most likely evolution. If physics exist, then even God would have to enact some form of evolution to ensure the survival of living creatures.
Not once in this forum have I denied that adaptation is perfectly possible. I know that God has given animals the ability to adapt and change to their surroundings, we can see that in everyday life. The objection I have to evolution is the idea of all species coming from single-celled organisms.
Mal is offline  


Old 04-27-2005, 12:07 AM   #92
Peregrin
Fool of a Took
 
Peregrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Somewhere with a Mediterranean climate.
Age: 23
Posts: 574
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peregrin is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh. That makes sense. That is a touchy subject, and it is unclear to many how that happened if indeed it did. Sorry... I would think that the single celled organisms weren't the only ancestor. I think that there may have been a multicellular ancestor that was the starting point. Maybe a mass of cells evolved into tissue, organs, and organ systems. There's really no way of knowing for sure.
__________________
"The chief has spoken"
-Lord of the Flies
Peregrin is offline  
Old 04-30-2005, 09:50 PM   #93
Mal
Scotch
 
Mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,090
Thanks: 12,722
Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Most subjects like this (Creation vs. Evolution) are touchy ones. It is true that creatures would have simple, multi-cellular ancestors, but those organims would have had to come from somewhere. I don't find it likely that a mass of completely separate cells would each evolve into a different type of cell and combine to form a single being. I don't think it could happen.
Mal is offline  
Old 05-01-2005, 03:04 PM   #94
HT2791
Chuunin
 
HT2791's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Halo 04
Posts: 375
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HT2791 is on a distinguished road
If there is/was no God, what is the purpose of the Bible? Could it just be a bedtime story or a book of real records.

100% honestly, i am tilted to science more. Its just the way i've grown up. My family stopped going to church. Not for religous reasons or anything, just because we dont have the time to, and Sunday is the only rest day my parents have.

i really dont know what to believe.
HT2791 is offline  
Old 05-01-2005, 07:34 PM   #95
Bearfan34
Genin
 
Bearfan34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago (suburbs)
Age: 25
Posts: 209
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bearfan34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by toma24135
That is a theory, no one said that the big bang is truth, and if someone did tell you that the big bang is definately true then they don't know what they are talking about. Although if you accept that fact that you can't understand how god can do these things, then how can you use the fact that you can't understand how the universe could have been created thru the big bang as a reason for not believing it?
No, I didn't mean that. I am just saying that I think that that theory os not true at all. Wahtever I said, I'll clear it up. I believe in God.
__________________



yami_youkai - my Sunny Island Girl
Daisuke - my Pink Floyd pal
Sakatsu - my bass buddy

Getting married to Yami_Youkai, the love of my life
Bearfan34 is offline  
Old 05-01-2005, 07:57 PM   #96
toma24135
Chuunin
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 437
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
toma24135 is an unknown quantity at this point
Does clear up your opinion, although you don't answer the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Although if you accept that fact that you can't understand how god can do these things, then how can you use the fact that you can't understand how the universe could have been created thru the big bang as a reason for not believing it?
or rather, why do you believe it to be false.
toma24135 is offline  
Old 05-01-2005, 09:51 PM   #97
cdle007
Missing-Nin
 
cdle007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Denver,Colorado
Age: 33
Posts: 76
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cdle007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Religion is a cultural concept and thats the bottom line. It is just another concept to separate people from us vs. them. Race is another cultural concept and religion is just the same. The fact that there is or isnt a god is unimportant because we do not gain anything from it. The only thing we gain is the idea that we are somehow superior or pretected from our fear of death. All religions are the same and I mean all.
cdle007 is offline  
Old 05-01-2005, 11:06 PM   #98
toma24135
Chuunin
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 437
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
toma24135 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well The only disagreement I would have is with buddism, since they allow one to pratice other religions and stuff, but basically I agree with you.
toma24135 is offline  
Old 05-02-2005, 11:08 PM   #99
Mal
Scotch
 
Mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,090
Thanks: 12,722
Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT2791
i really dont know what to believe.
No one can force you to believe anything, so if you want to find something to believe in then look at the evidence for yourself and decide. Try praying even if you don't think it will do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdle007
Religion is a cultural concept and thats the bottom line. It is just another concept to separate people from us vs. them. Race is another cultural concept and religion is just the same. The fact that there is or isnt a god is unimportant because we do not gain anything from it. The only thing we gain is the idea that we are somehow superior or pretected from our fear of death. All religions are the same and I mean all.
True, Religion itself is absolutely useless. However, it's the God behind it that makes faith worthwhile. Whether or not God exists is ultimately important, far more so than anything else. We don't gain nothing from God, we gain everything we could ever need. Believing in God doesn't make someone better than another. In fact it can sometimes make you worse, if you believe in God, and yet do nothing about it, living as everyone else and giving God only your Sunday mornings. Christianity differs greatly from other world Religions, mainly in the existance of a personal God. I don't fear death, nor would I fear death if I lead a Godless life with no purpose, because if I have no purpose, then what is the point of living in the first place except to have fun? I've had my fun, now I serve The Lord.
Mal is offline  
Old 05-03-2005, 12:53 AM   #100
Peregrin
Fool of a Took
 
Peregrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Somewhere with a Mediterranean climate.
Age: 23
Posts: 574
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peregrin is an unknown quantity at this point
While religious, the only thing I feel that I can offer God is a moral standing that I live by. No matter how strong the urge, I don't resort to violence. I don't swear, and I don't experience negative emotions (when possible). I never question God's existance, or question why things happen the way they do. I'm just another organism in the world, and I'm no better than any other.
__________________
"The chief has spoken"
-Lord of the Flies
Peregrin is offline  
Old 05-03-2005, 11:40 PM   #101
Mal
Scotch
 
Mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,090
Thanks: 12,722
Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Hmm.... if you don't mind me saying you seem to have had a change of heart since your last post, either that or you've just never admitted your faith. Anyways, well said and well done. Not restorting to violence can be tough, especially for me because I'm easily annoyed by people. There is more to offer God than a good sense of morality, but that is indeed a great way to worship Him.
Mal is offline  
Old 05-04-2005, 12:46 AM   #102
Peregrin
Fool of a Took
 
Peregrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Somewhere with a Mediterranean climate.
Age: 23
Posts: 574
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peregrin is an unknown quantity at this point
I love science. I find a happy medium between science and religion. I go to church, and I believe in god. The only thing I dislike is when people with my religion think that it's the only right religion. In a way, I accept all religions. I like chemistry more than biology anyway. I support evolution, though. I figure that I'd rather devote my time to devoloping things to save people than debating evolution. The only thing I'll probably ever use it for is research in the evolution and ancestry of drug-resistant viruses. This is one aspect of evolution that is true. Disease like Tuberculosis have gained drug resistance through natural selection.
__________________
"The chief has spoken"
-Lord of the Flies
Peregrin is offline  
Old 05-06-2005, 01:05 AM   #103
Mal
Scotch
 
Mal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,090
Thanks: 12,722
Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light
Just as everything does. Adaptation (and in some cases "evolution") is fact. Mainly, I disagree with all life evolving from another form of life, as described by evolution. I also disagree with claims that the universe, let alone the earth and life, is billions of years old. But it is true, the present is what should be focused on, not the past. The only thing the past is good for now is learning from, really. I wouldn't say I accept all religions, I don't hate anyone who doesn't believe exactly what I believe, but with so many different ideologies and beliefs, it would be difficult for all of them to be right. So I go with the one that makes the most sense to me.
Mal is offline  
Old 05-24-2005, 09:33 PM   #104
Tabris
Sexy Lady
 
Tabris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: in a box, out side your house, with binoculars.
Posts: 778
Thanks: 5,570
Thanked 4,329 Times in 1,961 Posts
Tabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really nice
not starting an argument but i'dlike some sites that show the proof of evolution, please, no scetches, or anything, hard facts evidence and all.
Tabris is offline  
Old 05-24-2005, 10:24 PM   #105
swinburne188
Genin
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 214
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
swinburne188 is an unknown quantity at this point
just wondering about allien from another planet or galaxy? did god create them too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris
not starting an argument but i'dlike some sites that show the proof of evolution, please, no scetches, or anything, hard facts evidence and all.
here's the problem with evolution. it took many years, sometimes million of years to evolve and no human live that long to be able to document the changes, so the scientists can only make prediction through sketches.
swinburne188 is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Religion and God Anto Debates Section 229 09-30-2006 06:01 PM
Debate me on common sense... Aruko Debates Section 61 12-14-2005 09:48 PM
LIFE IN A JAPANESE SCHOOL ~Introduction~ kei Chit Chat 31 07-04-2005 01:18 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.