Science or God? - Page 9 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section

Debates Section Enjoy a good discussion? This is the place for you! Only knowledgeable discussions allowed!

View Poll Results: Science, God or Something else?
Science 7 23.33%
God 17 56.67%
My own idea 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 10:37 PM   #121
xXGaaraXx
Demon Days

xXGaaraXx is an unknown quantity at this point
the stories of creation in the bible r purely metaphorical and contextual....ur sposed to take the meaning out of the story not believe that God actually created the earth in 7days....God did create everything tho.....it jus wasn't splat there we hav earth sum pretty trees and sum dood hu bes eatin my apples...no i believe in evolution too

Old 05-29-2005, 12:36 AM   #122
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Alot of people do believe that God used an evolutionary method of bringing into being the current life forms on the earth, but I personally don't believe He started with single-cell organisms and moved on up over billions of years.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:44 AM   #123
Peregrin
Fool of a Took

Peregrin is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmm.... maybe god IS evolution... Maybe he started small to see how things would progess, and gradually moved up by changing the DNA of the animals being born, eventually ending up with modern creatures. Extinction is for failed experiments, and the dinosaurs' extinction was god's way of starting with a new plate. Not that this is what I believe, I just think this would make a good compromise theory.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:46 AM   #124
Mal
Scotch

Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Kind of like the wacked-out theory about aliens planting us here as an experiment? Except instead of aliens, it was God?
Old 05-30-2005, 05:44 PM   #125
Tabris
Sexy Lady

Thanked 4,329 Times in 1,961 Posts
Tabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really niceTabris is just really nice
We discussed that in class, it's more of just acompromise of both peoples beliefs. it doesn't make sence that a god who says he did some thing would then do another, especually when he says doing that sort of thing is not ok. (ie lieing) oh soem people say that god could havge used evolution cause 1 second=1 thousand years but that would still not be enough time for what they say evolution happened like. and about that theory of aliens puting us here, or something liek that, i would like to know where they come from. since they're not imortal and such.
i'm just babbling now. bye
Old 05-30-2005, 09:50 PM   #126
Peregrin
Fool of a Took

Aliens? I never said anything about that! I never said it was an experiment either! Geez... I'm just saying that the reason for evolution could be god instead of nature. It's just one idea. I personally don't believe it. I stick firmly with Darwin's theory. I just thought it was an interesting idea. Maybe we are an experiment, though... one that is slowly failing...
Old 05-30-2005, 11:02 PM   #127
flareofdragon
Hunter-Nin

flareofdragon is on a distinguished roadflareofdragon is on a distinguished road
I really do not like these discussion because they usually end up in a lot of flames. Oh well, might as well post something.

First of all, I believe that Science and Faith(God) should not be compared. They are two different things. One tries to make sense of the world around us with the limitations on what we know, the other relies on something else, one that we cannot totally "prove."

Next, Creationism is not a theory. It is religion trying to be science. Religion != Science so that does not work. However you can support a religion and support science at the same time. As long as one does not try to replace the other, it is alright. But when they do try to fight the other (Evangelist, Creationism advocates) it comes to very bad things. (Lynching, oh you get the idea)

Another thing I wanted to point out was that Evolution does not say God cannot exist. However, that does not seem to be the way the discussion is going, so I will move on.

God may have put in the way how evolution works. This might be what we call natural selection. Who knows, we are not in the same plane as him, thus we can't prove it.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:22 PM   #128
Mal
Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by flareofdragon
I really do not like these discussion because they usually end up in a lot of flames. Oh well, might as well post something.
It will only end in flaming if people who shouldn't be arguing try to join in.

Quote:
First of all, I believe that Science and Faith(God) should not be compared. They are two different things. One tries to make sense of the world around us with the limitations on what we know, the other relies on something else, one that we cannot totally "prove."
We cannot totally "prove" either one in respect to how life came to be. You want to talk about proving? Prove that gravity exists. We can see the effects of what we believe to be gravity, but it is not something that we can actually see. Obviously, it's stupid to say gravity doesn't exist because the evidence for it is so strong. Both science and "religion" try to explain the world, they just do it in different ways.

Quote:
Next, Creationism is not a theory. It is religion trying to be science. Religion != Science so that does not work. However you can support a religion and support science at the same time. As long as one does not try to replace the other, it is alright. But when they do try to fight the other (Evangelist, Creationism advocates) it comes to very bad things. (Lynching, oh you get the idea)
How exactly is Creationism not a theory? Just because it relies on the existence of God? Evolution, ultimately, relies on all matter in the universe having had existed forever, or somehow having been created. Also, that living organisms came from non-living matter. Creationism is science, it uses evidence in an attempt to prove a theory, just as "real" science does, it just looks at the evidence in a different way. In reality, almost all scientific obvervations are made with a biased mind.

Quote:
Another thing I wanted to point out was that Evolution does not say God cannot exist. However, that does not seem to be the way the discussion is going, so I will move on.
True, evolution doesn't say that God cannot exist. However, the Bible says that evolution, as the source of all life, did not happen. There is also a fair bit of evidence in support of Creationist theory.

Quote:
God may have put in the way how evolution works. This might be what we call natural selection. Who knows, we are not in the same plane as him, thus we can't prove it.
I don't deny that evolution does happen today, in terms of adaptation. If animals didn't adapt, they would go extinct. I don't deny that mutations occur, we can see this by looking at the mentally and physically disabled. There are also animals born with mutations. Mutation happens, but not to the point that flies can eventually become, say, monkeys.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:46 PM   #129
flareofdragon
Hunter-Nin

flareofdragon is on a distinguished roadflareofdragon is on a distinguished road
Evolution does not spawn life. Animals spawn life. Evolution does not even go into the origin of species.

And the effect of gravity is much stronger than the effect of God. If you roll a boulder on top of a hill downhill (no obstacles) it will go down no? God is much harder to prove. To the point of impossibilty.

And no, Religion tries to explain life. Science tries to explain the world. Religion takes the things and laws around us for granted, it only goes on to say about what we should do about life.

Another thing, evolution is not really that hard of an idea to comprehend. If you believe that small mutations occur, and those occur frequently, then is it that hard to believe that if you isolate a part of a large population, they will change into a different specie when introduced to another environment. (Generation wise, after lets say 200-1000 years).
Old 05-31-2005, 12:10 AM   #130
Peregrin
Fool of a Took

Ok. Science tries to explain many things, not just the world, as does religion. The Origin of Species was a book written by Darwin ON the theory of evolution. They are pretty closely related if you ask me.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:06 AM   #131
Kamatari
Assassin of the Wind

Kamatari is an unknown quantity at this point
Science is gd, but too much science is quite bad... but science cant always explain everything, esp. something supernatural or a miracle... so it mus haf something to do wif god

( i didnt read the first post so i jus post wat i think of science n god)
- i think about killing someone everyday
- i think about how much God must hate me everyday
- i think about how much devils might like me everyday
- i think about yaoi or hot guys kissing each other everyday
- i think about hentai and ecchi stuff everyday
- i think about alot of nasty things

now will you be my friend?
Old 05-31-2005, 05:56 PM   #132
flareofdragon
Hunter-Nin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrin
Ok. Science tries to explain many things, not just the world, as does religion. The Origin of Species was a book written by Darwin ON the theory of evolution. They are pretty closely related if you ask me.
I am using the world as the materials around us. That would be our organs, how animals change, chemicals, quantum mechanics, all that.

Does religion try to explain that? Probably not. It just says how we should live our life. Really, that is practically the whole point.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:52 PM   #133
swinburne188
Genin

swinburne188 is an unknown quantity at this point
if i'm not wrong, this thread can be sum up to "where do we come from?". can science prove where we come from. currently the theory of god created us is the only theory that make sense, it's not a fact though, that's why it's called theory. for scientists, it's hard to prove that god created us because they don't know who or what god is or how god created things. so, until some scientists say that they know where we come from, we'll just have to stick with god as creator.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:04 PM   #134
flareofdragon
Hunter-Nin

You are using scientific words with unscientific definitions, but using it in scientific conotation. Unless someone proves god to be a fact, that means he can be proven like Gravity can be proven, until then, Creationism is not a theory. It is just an idea widely accepted by many.

Also, you can believe in the big bang. Which basically tells how matter formed. Doesn't state the origion of life, but it shows how matter came to being. Then there is a test on how the first micro-organism came to being. Right now, they are already psuedo-cells, now they just need to reproduce and stuff to be considered "living."
Old 05-31-2005, 11:32 PM   #135
Peregrin
Fool of a Took

I just realized something. Creationism and the like is in no way a theory, as there is no supporting evidence behind it... the same is true for many things. My big question is: Why does it matter? We're here, so why not put our minds to better use developing medicine or ways to help the environment? I couldn't care less about how and why we're here!
Closed Thread