Is downloading anime (stealing) morally wrong? - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section

Debates Section Enjoy a good discussion? This is the place for you! Only knowledgeable discussions allowed!

View Poll Results: Is downloading (stealing) anime morally wrong?
Yes, and I only buy my anime 3 4.55%
Yes, but I download before buying 7 10.61%
Yes, but I don't care enough to buy it. 18 27.27%
No, there is nothing wrong with downloading anime. 38 57.58%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2007, 09:41 PM   #1
Freshgrease
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Thanked 1,005 Times in 546 Posts
Freshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to all
Is downloading anime (stealing) morally wrong?

I am not innocent when it comes to downloading anime through FTP or Bittorent, but I come to question if I should feel bad about it. I stopped pirating movies, programs, and music several years ago because I felt it was the wrong thing to do, but I think that the topic of anime is a different story.

Is downloading anime (instead of buying it) morally wrong? Does that answer affect you any when you decide to or not to download?

For me, If a series I've downloaded is good, I'll go buy the entire series on DVD and then some of the collectibles, but I dunno if I feel bad or not about getting it beforehand. I subscribe to a subscription downloading service (National-anime) for $5/month, but that only pays for the servers.

EDIT: I searched the forums and couldn't find a similar topic.

Last edited by Freshgrease; 07-07-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Freshgrease is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
sikfearless0
FALLEN HERO

sikfearless0 is a jewel in the roughsikfearless0 is a jewel in the roughsikfearless0 is a jewel in the roughsikfearless0 is a jewel in the roughsikfearless0 is a jewel in the roughsikfearless0 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Is downloading anime (stealing) morally wrong?

Wow this is wierd because i was about to download a pirate movie, spiderman 3 and it didnt feel right so i canceled the download. But honestly anime is a lot cheaper then movies, and i think it isnt fair that japan can watch it on the tv but we cant so i think we have a right to download it. I dont download it i just watch it, i dont want to occupy my laptop with things i can just watch on the internet.

^Thanks NarutoFreak Jr. for making me an awesome sig

Proud Member of NaruHina FC

Proud Member of Uzumaki Naruto FC

Proud Member Of TroubleMakers FC

Proud Member Of The Official Leaf Shinobi FC

I'm Gonna Be Higher Then God!-BlackStar
sikfearless0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
Freshgrease
▂▅▇█▓▒░◕‿‿◕░▒▓█▇▅▂

Thanked 1,005 Times in 546 Posts
Freshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to allFreshgrease is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikfearless0 View Post
Wow this is wierd because i was about to download a pirate movie, spiderman 3 and it didnt feel right so i canceled the download. But honestly anime is a lot cheaper then movies, and i think it isnt fair that japan can watch it on the tv but we cant so i think we have a right to download it. I dont download it i just watch it, i dont want to occupy my laptop with things i can just watch on the internet.
Well see, I am indifferent when it comes to youtube/daily motion videos. Technically it IS downloading, but it doesn't feel like it is downloading.

I feel differently about downloading the weekly Naruto/Bleach than I do with some series that has been out for a while.
Freshgrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
Miburo

No, it's not. Same with downloading movies, music, etc.

Now people will say "it's stealing, and stealing = auto-immoral." But that's a dumb ass way to think. You have to look at why stealing is wrong before jumping the gun like that. Usually, when you steal something the person being stolen from loses something, right? So if I stole your bike you wouldn't have anything to ride/brag about anymore, and that would suck for you. That's why stealing in that scenario is wrong.

But when you download anime/movies/music/whatever no one actually loses anything. Now people will argue that the producers of the downloaded media are losing business, but that's a pretty bullshit argument considering the fact that there's more options other than either buying it or downloading it for free. The people who download things may very well have gone without whatever they're downloading instead of buying it. It would be impossible to actually show lost business solely because of the ability to download shit. I guarantee it.

So it's stealing, but it's not immoral because it doesn't fall under the logic that usually makes stealing immoral. It's not really any different than me going to a friend's house and watching his DVDs instead of buying my own. Or having a friend burn you some songs from his CDs. Are these things morally wrong too? I sure as hell don't think so, and they're pretty much the same damn thing as downloading shit online.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:03 PM   #5
MikeyM1979
Hokage

MikeyM1979 has much to be proud ofMikeyM1979 has much to be proud ofMikeyM1979 has much to be proud ofMikeyM1979 has much to be proud ofMikeyM1979 has much to be proud ofMikeyM1979 has much to be proud ofMikeyM1979 has much to be proud ofMikeyM1979 has much to be proud ofMikeyM1979 has much to be proud ofMikeyM1979 has much to be proud ofMikeyM1979 has much to be proud of

Downloading anything that's retail is wrong if you don't pay for it, of course. Morally wrong, though? That depends on each and every person. I myself feel no remorse when I download anime, movies, applications, music, etc. I especially feel no remorse when downloading music and movies. I know it's all wrong, but I do it anyway, because I can. I guess that means I have no morals lol.
MikeyM1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
Kina
Star-Stuff

Thanked 1,181 Times in 646 Posts
Kina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud ofKina has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
No, it's not. Same with downloading movies, music, etc.

Now people will say "it's stealing, and stealing = auto-immoral." But that's a dumb ass way to think. You have to look at why stealing is wrong before jumping the gun like that. Usually, when you steal something the person being stolen from loses something, right? So if I stole your bike you wouldn't have anything to ride/brag about anymore, and that would suck for you. That's why stealing in that scenario is wrong.

But when you download anime/movies/music/whatever no one actually loses anything. Now people will argue that the producers of the downloaded media are losing business, but that's a pretty bullshit argument considering the fact that there's more options other than either buying it or downloading it for free. The people who download things may very well have gone without whatever they're downloading instead of buying it. It would be impossible to actually show lost business solely because of the ability to download shit. I guarantee it.

So it's stealing, but it's not immoral because it doesn't fall under the logic that usually makes stealing immoral. It's not really any different than me going to a friend's house and watching his DVDs instead of buying my own. Or having a friend burn you some songs from his CDs. Are these things morally wrong too? I sure as hell don't think so, and they're pretty much the same damn thing as downloading shit online.
I believe this, it's totally not the same.

Luck is a skill.

<Jonathan3

Don't hate on Rival.

When I wake on the last day of my life, I want to face it without regret.

Kina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #7
sikfearless0
FALLEN HERO

sikfearless0 is a jewel in the roughsikfearless0 is a jewel in the roughsikfearless0 is a jewel in the roughsikfearless0 is a jewel in the roughsikfearless0 is a jewel in the roughsikfearless0 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah Miburo has a really good point and i agree with him, but then u get those website wear ur try downloading pirate movies and then someone tracks and u get busted for it.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
Miburo

^Legality doesn't have anything to do with morality though. Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it's morally wrong. In actuality, it's kinda ridiculous that it's even illegal in some places.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:08 PM   #9
Hiraku
Puppet Master

Hiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of light

downloading anime that has come out on tv a few days ago is not stealing. Because that episode or show is not on video for there its not a video being merchandised so its not stealing. Who cares if any one thinks downloading anime is wrong. If the compnies dont do any thing about it why should we care about downloading anime. Its in the intrest of the company for us to download anime like naruto or bleach.

Because the popularity of there product is already set up in a foreign market such as the U.S and the western world.

They like the idea of naruto and bleach being watched all over the world it equals more money in the end for them.
Hiraku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #10
sikfearless0
FALLEN HERO

^i agree with you, in the end they make more money by merchandise and stuff and then when they put it in english dubs more people watch, like on toonami they have naruto marathons like every month.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #11
YoshiToshi
YoshiToshi say grawr.

YoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these parts

If I downloaded a movie/tv show/music off the internet for free, people would call it stealing... And that it would be wrong; and I would feel a little guilty if I downloaded it, i guess. Anime, is basically a tv show, but aired in Japan. (which would later be aired in other places of the world...) But it's somehow different because we don't feel remorse or guilt after having downloaded it.

I buy my anime when I have no connections to download it, and usually I buy it before it's been liscenced in US and dubbed. I never buy the dubbed versions of the anime, and never will.

I think downloading music/pirated movies on the net would make me feel guilty, though anime doesn't. Even though that seems pretty stupid, I think the reason why I think that way is because of my mom and brother telling me all that stuff about how it's a federal offense, blah blah blah....

But in my opinion downloading/streaming anime, music, movies, tv shows isn't immoral and no one shouldn't feel that it's immoral. But it is illegal, which although isn't immoral, still makes me feel bad.... for a little while. XP
The companies are all filthy rich, anyways. So what if they lose a few thousand dollars because we're downloading and they selling a little less than they would if we bought it?

1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2|hope to be more active...

yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshi toshi
YoshiToshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:41 PM   #12
Hiraku
Puppet Master

Hiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of light

i dont download movies or music that is stealing i dont even like the dowloaded songs not as good as a hard copy cd. But anime is diffrent that is just how it works popular anime is downloaded in dubbed forms but then we still watch it in english. I have watched almost all naruto and all of shippuden episodes. But i still watch them in english becuase there fun to watch in there original language and then in english.

That way you can spot the diffrence i do.
Hiraku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:45 PM   #13
YoshiToshi
YoshiToshi say grawr.

YoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these parts

So downloading movies is wrong, but downloading anime is OK, since it's in a different language, and it's fansubbed?

So would foreign movies be OK to download, if they were fansubbed? It's a movie, but it's fansubbed and avaliable for download on the internet.

1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2|hope to be more active...

yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshi toshi
YoshiToshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:57 PM   #14
sikfearless0
FALLEN HERO

idk what he meant i got confused by just reading his post.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:11 AM   #15
Assaulter
Symphony of Destruction

Assaulter will become famous soon enoughAssaulter will become famous soon enoughAssaulter will become famous soon enough

I agree that its stealing, because it is really. The makers of it lose money know it or not and they also put a lot of time into making it good so I think I should buy the time they spend into an anime I consider good, but its not immoral. Immoral would be if the business was gonna collapse because of it which is not the case for ANYTHING pirated. I do the same with actual movies. Though yes sometimes I get impatient and I have to download a movie I haven't seen because truly I'm far to poor to go to a movie everytime there is one that I want to see.

Like said before it may not be immoral but it makes me feel bad when I find out the anime is actually worth paying for so I usually get around to it.

Assaulter is offline   Reply With Quote