Gender Equality - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section

Debates Section Enjoy a good discussion? This is the place for you! Only knowledgeable discussions allowed!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
Kilik 64
Dragon Quest ftw

Kilik 64 is on a distinguished roadKilik 64 is on a distinguished road
Gender Equality

Ok, we've all heard the arguement before. Glass ceiling, gender superiority, etcetera etcetera. I had the displeasure of listening to freshmen girls squawking about not being treated as well as men at 7:00 in the morning, and it got me thinking. Is there any actual merit to what they were saying, or were the just abusing my eyes for no good reason?

How do you feel about the equality between men and women? Do you think there is an aspect of society where one is treated better or worse? Maybe more than one? Is there any way to fix this?

How about which gender does better off? Men or women? Which side truly has the "greener grass"?

Note 1: I am refraining from posting my opinion for a little to avoid making people see my point of view instead of expressing themselves. I want to hear what you think, not read what I think.

Note 2: I do not have bias against women, and I apologize if I came across that way. However, when freshman are literally screaming at the top of their lungs at the crack of dawn after some 4-5 hours of sleep, you'll sound like you have a serious bias too.

Note 3: I added the last question to generate more discussion.

Last edited by Kilik 64; 10-26-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Kilik 64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
YoshiToshi
YoshiToshi say grawr.

YoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these parts
Re: Gender Equality

It's true that there is some gender equality. But in my opinion, it's not a big deal. You think about the things that women can't do that men can, or the fact that in some jobs men will get paid more than a woman--I just don't think it's a big deal. There are so many countries that have to deal with extreme gender inequality and it's just part of their culture.
There will always be inequality in the world. May it be by gender, race, or social status--
Men will more likely be better drivers than women, and women will mature faster than men as they get older. It isn't a hate crime, so I don't see anything wrong with it. =/

1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2|hope to be more active...

yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshi toshi
YoshiToshi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YoshiToshi For This Useful Post:
gaarasandchick13 (03-13-2010)
Old 10-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
fox maiden
Vixynn

fox maiden is on a distinguished roadfox maiden is on a distinguished road

I'm basically with toshi on this one. Without inequality, then we couldn't gauge equality. There will always be some type of discrimination between gender, race, religion, ethnicity, whatever.
Its the reason we have so many stereotypes.
But, again like toshi said, It could be worse.

fan clubs:

@>-->-
Ouran High Host Club Queen

Owner of the Black Cat fc
Co-Owner of The Official Vampire Knight FC.

fox maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
Shikaratsu
Genin

Shikaratsu is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilik 64 View Post
Ok, we've all heard the arguement before. Glass ceiling, gender superiority, etcetera etcetera. I had the displeasure of listening to freshmen girls squawking about not being treated as well as men at 7:00 in the morning, and it got me thinking. Is there any actual merit to what they were saying, or were the just abusing my eyes for no good reason?

How do you feel about the equality between men and women in America? Do you think there is an aspect of society where one is treated better or worse? Maybe more than one? Is there any way to fix this?

Note 1: I am refraining from posting my opinion for a little to avoid making people see my point of view instead of expressing themselves. I want to hear what you think, not read what I think.

Note 2: I do not have bias against women, and I apologize if I came across that way. However, when freshman are literally screaming at the top of their lungs at the crack of dawn after some 4-5 hours of sleep, you'll sound like you have a serious bias too.
Us men need our women. XD Let's hope the same for women.

Translation: "Oh, I see it. So what have we learned about having kunais in our mouth?
Shikaratsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
The Yellow Maelstrom
Genin

The Yellow Maelstrom is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I think we're leaning over to a time where women will have the upper hand. In my opinion, if they want the same rights they need the same responsibilities. Drafting, being bashed if you annoy someone etc.

Seriously, in Aus men can't defend themselves against women. It's ILLEGAL. Which is bull.
The Yellow Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Yellow Maelstrom For This Useful Post:
aeondrift (02-28-2010), Scientia (11-29-2009)
Old 10-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Kilik 64
Dragon Quest ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikaratsu View Post
Us men need our women. XD Let's hope the same for women.
Uhh... what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yellow Maelstrom View Post
Personally I think we're leaning over to a time where women will have the upper hand.
Could you go into more detail, because I'm not sure I follow.

Quote:
In my opinion, if they want the same rights they need the same responsibilities. Drafting, being bashed if you annoy someone etc.
This would be my biggest problem with the arguement about womens' rights. It essentially "gimme this, gimme that". However, there's nothing being sacrificed in return for these rights they want.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
fox maiden
Vixynn

fox maiden is on a distinguished roadfox maiden is on a distinguished road

This is not unlike the "women on the frontlines" argument.
Is the question "Should they have equality?" or is it "Have they equality?"
Because regardless of whether we should, we will never have complete equality. Its impossible.

fan clubs:

@>-->-
Ouran High Host Club Queen

Owner of the Black Cat fc
Co-Owner of The Official Vampire Knight FC.

fox maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
Kilik 64
Dragon Quest ftw

I didn't want to limit the extents of the conversation, so feel free to answer both.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:58 AM   #9
Mashed Potato
sunshine and biscuits

Mashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the rough

I propose a grand scheme: castrate all males and forcefeed them estrogen tablets. Physical equality is the stepping stone towards total equality. Prove me WRONG!

Quote:
Periously, in Aus men can't defend themselves against women. It's ILLEGAL. Which is bull.
Unless it was aggravated assault (read: assault with a weapon) then I don't see how that's bad. I've not met really any women who had the physical ability to seriously beat a guy up. And plus, even if such a thing did happen, the courts would adapt to the case and consider all the details, and punish the accused accordingly.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:13 AM   #10
Ninja48
48 Cypherin' Ninjas

Ninja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to beholdNinja48 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potato View Post
I propose a grand scheme: castrate all males and forcefeed them estrogen tablets. Physical equality is the stepping stone towards total equality. Prove me WRONG!
I prefer death by snu-snu.

Legally, women should have the exact same rights and opportunities as men. Socially, however, views upon the (social) behavior of men and women will differ. Men are expected to act masculine, women are expected to act feminine (men are tougher, women are emotional, men are outgoing in romance, girls are passive in romance, men work, women cook, etc). There is no expectation that's exceptionally easier, so any perception that one gender "has it easier" or is "treated better" is simply looking at greener grass on the other side.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
Trey
Legendary

Trey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to beholdTrey is a splendid one to behold

^Futurama is awesome.

There will never be true equality, because even if a women makes the same amount as me if we both hold the same job, society will still expect me to open a door for her or something.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #12
Miburo

Quote:
= (

Quote:
Unless it was aggravated assault (read: assault with a weapon) then I don't see how that's bad. I've not met really any women who had the physical ability to seriously beat a guy up. And plus, even if such a thing did happen, the courts would adapt to the case and consider all the details, and punish the accused accordingly.
I dunno. Because there's some skinny dudes that are built like chicks that lack the physical abilities to beat a non-sissy guy up. But if an wussy skinny dude started beating on me I can pound his face in until he stops and not get in any trouble. I'd assume it works the same there. I agree that it's not a bad thing (assuming the dude is still allowed to restrain the chick, at least), but it's not really the most equality supporting law either.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #13
Kilik 64
Dragon Quest ftw

Quote:
Change is not an easy or quick process. Unless there's some huge influx of women beating down men Austrailia, that law isn't just going to magically change with one case of a man getting beat down in the street by a woman.

The woman will still be punished (hopefully), and people will gripe how the man defending themselves against women deal needs to be changed, but that's it.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #14
Teh Big One
I am an Ass

Teh Big One is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
^Futurama is awesome.

There will never be true equality, because even if a women makes the same amount as me if we both hold the same job, society will still expect me to open a door for her or something.
Agree completely.
Teh Big One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:59 AM   #15
Mashed Potato
sunshine and biscuits

Mashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the roughMashed Potato is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilik 64 View Post
Change is not an easy or quick process. Unless there's some huge influx of women beating down men Austrailia, that law isn't just going to magically change with one case of a man getting beat down in the street by a woman.
No, but magistrates of the court usually examine a court case and punish accordingly, even if they follow the "you can't defend yourselves against women" law. If a man defended himself against a woman, the court would consider how badly he assaulted her, the woman's history and her usual behaviour (whether she is aggressive or impassive in nature) and other things that would impact the final ruling. The accused man would probably be let off lightly if he could adequately prove she had malicious intent.

That law is usually just a guide, magistrates usually make their own precendent (opinion on the case) or follow an older, relevent precendent set by a previous judge.