The absurdity of balance - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section

Debates Section Enjoy a good discussion? This is the place for you! Only knowledgeable discussions allowed!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
hakushiro
FUBAR

hakushiro is on a distinguished road
Question The absurdity of balance

Come to think of it, there are a lot of movies/animés that concern a "battle for the future of the world by defending it against the forces that seek to destroy its balance".

But then, is balance, defined as a perfect weight on both sides resulting in equilibrium, really possible?

Communists seek to destroy capitalism, seeing it as a gross unbalance in the distribution of wealth. They say they will abolish the concept of "ownership", thus, in abolishing it, everyone owns everything, so in the end, everyone is provided for.

But is this really possible?

Doesn't saying "everyone owns everything" the same as "noone owns nothing"?

I say balance is one of the improbabilities in this plane. This plane, under the supposition that it was constructed by a God that restrained it with logical laws, is imperfect. The constant push and pull of two opposing forces/concepts is what really keeps this plane in existence.

The matrix of this plane is a matrix of an infinite number of even points, never odd; an odd number of points would mean the existence of a point in the perfect, ideal middle. This would mean that the possibility of perfect balance would then be attainable.

If ever the ceaseless tug between the two opposing sides end up in the middle, then that would mean armageddon.

What truly sustains this plane is not balance:
It is the perpetual disbalance that keeps it rocking upon a precarious point; rocking, but never quite tilting to one side-- it would fall off; rocking, but never reaching absolute balance--the plane would break in half.

+1 (+) -1 = 0

Is this balance truly, desirably, attainable?

Old 12-07-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
Miburo

Re: The absurdity of balance

An equal distribution of wealth just isn't possible due to human desires/vices. So I'll agree that it's extremely improbable, but I fail to see how it would be a unfavorable outcome as your little 'plane' analogy thing suggests.

After all, even if not actually obtainable, true equality among men in any aspect of life is at the very least something to strive for. And the closer we get, the better.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
dfacto
Genin

dfacto is an unknown quantity at this point

You're misinterpreting the term. Balance require two or more things to be in equilibrium, not for all of those things to become a homogenous blend. When you say
Quote:
It is the perpetual disbalance that keeps it rocking upon a precarious point; rocking, but never quite tilting to one side
You are actually refering to balance, because that "rocking upon a point' is sort of the idea behind the word.

Balance can exist without complete homogeneity. Yin/Yang is the best example, with two opposites still striking a balance. The world is in a state of rough balance composed of many differing things, and that is the balance that is under threat from the space alien/demon/mad scientist/evil genius threat de jour. The implication is that they're going to death-ray all the Good stuff and disrupt the balance, making Bad the law of the land.

Also, not to nitpick but... when making arguments or discussion topics, consider keep stuff like "matrix of this plane" and such out of it, because it just makes you sound like you're trying too hard to be intellectual, but really it doesn't mean anything.

Last edited by dfacto; 12-07-2007 at 11:55 AM.
dfacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:47 AM   #4
hakushiro
FUBAR

hakushiro is on a distinguished road

@ Miburo

Yes, the a balance between all men is indeed something to strive for, but we can only get so close, no? The constant need to attain balance and the constant want of mankind to have it all is what sustains us.

@ dfacto

Exactly, a "rough balance", no? But is this "rough balance", balance at all? Would a "balance" that is "roughly balanced" called a "balance" at all?
And about that threat du jour seeking to make "evil the law of the land", that was included in my propositions, if you had been able to read it betwixt the lines. What will destroy this plane is either the complete dominance of one side of the balance (the plane would fall off) or the attainment of absolute balance (the plane would break in half).

And besides, I did not mention nor imply homogeneity. Balance is not = homogeneity. Yin-yang? Yin-yang is absurd. At one point in this balance yin is dominant, at another it is dominated by yang. The concept of yin-yang is an ideal, and though I totally detest Plato, I have to agree with him: In this plane all we have are the ideals of how things should be-- beauty, good, evil, they are but dreams. As Miburo said, we will forever strive for them... but we shall never have them. No. Not in this plane.

And dude, when I say, "matrix of this plane", I mean "matrix of this plane". I doubt I can find other word that would satisfy the idea that I was trying to convey. Words are unique, you know. Synonyms never quite convey the same ideas, they all have unique implications. I refuse to downsize my vocabulary just to avoid sounding pompous. Big words are naturally pompous, but you can't live without 'em.