Thousands Dead in China Earthquake - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
YoshiToshi
YoshiToshi say grawr.

YoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these parts
Thousands Dead in China Earthquake

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewForeignBu...20080512h.html

Quote:
Beijing (AP) - A massive earthquake struck central China on Monday and state media reported that as many as 5,000 people were killed in a single county while nearly 900 students were trapped under the rubble of their school.

The official Xinhua News Agency said 80 percent of the buildings had collapsed in Beichuan county in Sichuan province after the 7.8-magnitude quake.

Xinhua reported that 3,000 to 5,000 people had died in Beichuan, which has a population of 160,000, raising fears the overall death toll could increase sharply. Another 10,000 people were believed to be hurt.

The earthquake sent thousands of people rushing out of buildings and into the streets hundreds of miles away in Beijing and Shanghai. The temblor was felt as far away as Pakistan, Vietnam and Thailand.

Rescuers had recovered at least 50 bodies from the debris of the school building in Juyuan township, about 60 miles from the epicenter. Xinhua did not say if any students had been pulled out alive.

An unknown number of students also were reported buried after buildings collapsed at five other schools in Deyang city in Sichuan, Xinhua reported.

It said its reporters saw buried teenagers struggling to break loose from underneath the rubble of the three-story building in Juyuan "while others were crying out for help."

Two girls were quoted by Xinhua as saying they escaped because they had "run faster than others."

The earthquake comes less than three months before the start of the Beijing Summer Olympics, when China hopes to use to showcase its rise in the world.

Shanghai's main index inched up Monday, but the advance was capped by worries over inflation and potential damage from the earthquake. Analysts said that shares of companies located in the Sichuan region may fall in coming sessions due to the quake.

It struck in the middle of the afternoon when classes and office towers were full, about 60 miles northwest of Chengdu. There were several smaller aftershocks, the U.S. Geological Survey said on its Web site.

Calls into the city did not go through as panicked residents quickly overloaded the telephone system. The quake affected telephone and power networks, and even state media appeared to have few details of the disaster.

"In Chengdu, mobile telecommunication convertors have experienced jams and thousands of servers were out of service," said Sha Yuejia, deputy chief executive officer of China Mobile.

Although it was difficult to telephone Chengdu, an Israeli student, Ronen Medzini, sent a text message to The Associated Press saying there were power and water outages there.

"Traffic jams, no running water, power outs, everyone sitting in the streets, patients evacuated from hospitals sitting outside and waiting," he said.

Xinhua said an underground water pipe ruptured near the city's southern railway station, flooding a main thoroughfare. Reporters saw buildings with cracks in their walls but no collapses, Xinhua said.

The earthquake also rattled buildings in Beijing, some 930 miles to the north, less than three months before the Chinese capital was expected to be full of hundreds of thousands of foreign visitors for the Summer Olympics.

Many Beijing office towers were evacuated, including the building housing the media offices for the organizers of the Olympics, which start in August. None of the Olympic venues was damaged.

"I've lived in Taipei and California and I've been through quakes before. This is the most I've ever felt," said James McGregor, a business consultant who was inside the LG Towers in Beijing's business district. "The floor was moving underneath me."

In Fuyang, 660 miles to the east, chandeliers in the lobby of the Buckingham Palace Hotel swayed. "We've never felt anything like this our whole lives," said a hotel employee surnamed Zhu.

Patients at the Fuyang People's No. 1 Hospital were evacuated. An hour after the quake, a half-dozen patients in blue-striped pajamas stood outside the hospital. One was laying on a hospital bed in the parking lot.

Skyscrapers in Shanghai swayed and most office occupants went rushing into the streets.

In the Taiwanese capital of Taipei, 100 miles off the southeastern Chinese coast, buildings swayed when the quake hit. There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.

The quake was felt as far away as the Vietnamese capital of Hanoi, where some people hurried out of swaying office buildings and into the streets downtown. A building in the Thai capital of Bangkok also was evacuated after the quake was felt there.

A magnitude 7.8 earthquake is considered a major event, capable of causing widespread damage and injuries in populated areas.

The last serious earthquake in China was in 2003, when a 6.8-magnitude quake killed 268 people in Bachu county in the west of Xinjiang.

China's deadliest earthquake in modern history struck the northeastern city of Tangshan on July 28, 1976, killing 240,000 people.
Other sources tell me that it was 900 students that were buried under the school-- It's unconfirmed on how many were found alive.
EDIT: The count for the students is in the thousands-- It's still unconfirmed.

1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2|hope to be more active...

yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshi toshi
YoshiToshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
xXmagnesiumXx
'光和雨

xXmagnesiumXx will become famous soon enoughxXmagnesiumXx will become famous soon enoughxXmagnesiumXx will become famous soon enough
Re: Thousands Dead in China Earthquake

My grandma lives in Chengdu. She called us at 1:30 on early monday morning and I didn't realize what it was. I guess this was it. Fortunately, all the structures in her area held, so she was fine. Apparently there are still aftershocks, so my grandparents are coming over.
xXmagnesiumXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:49 AM   #3
phew2
Jounin

phew2 is just really nicephew2 is just really nicephew2 is just really nicephew2 is just really nicephew2 is just really nicephew2 is just really nicephew2 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXmagnesiumXx View Post
My grandma lives in Chengdu. She called us at 1:30 on early monday morning and I didn't realize what it was. I guess this was it. Fortunately, all the structures in her area held, so she was fine. Apparently there are still aftershocks, so my grandparents are coming over.
Thank god they still alive. This is a horrible event . An earthquake strike always come in surprise and it seems quite hard to avoid losses of lives.

On behalf of the my family , we express our deepest sympathy and condolences to the victims and their families.

Proud Co-Owner Of The
Welcome To The Host Club! <3

Proud Member Of The
The New Gaara FC
The Shikamaru FC

슈퍼주니어 <333

friends <333

fox maiden aka vixynn ~ <3
lil' sammy ~ My super banned princess
yellow flash 55 ~ My King
Thomas aka Mr. Magical_Flying _Twixbar ~ Gashu Guy

Last edited by phew2; 05-14-2008 at 08:56 PM.
phew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Nidaime.
Academy Student

Nidaime. is an unknown quantity at this point

*snifff* really sad...............
Nidaime. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
OniKage
Shadow Demon

OniKage has a spectacular aura aboutOniKage has a spectacular aura aboutOniKage has a spectacular aura aboutOniKage has a spectacular aura about

yah... and i had heard reports and predictions from the US Geological Society in Hawaii that even the Philippines will experience a massive 6.8 magnitude a few ours after i made this post.

I'm with the:

OniKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
Hokage4354
SOTW Host

Hokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of light

I heard about this yesterday. . ..

This is really horrible.......

~~~~~~~~~~

Join Kongregate today!
Hokage4354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
OG
[잊지 말아요]

Thanked 4,149 Times in 1,809 Posts
OG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these partsOG is infamous around these parts

one of my cousins is among one of the X who are missing......

I hope he is still alive, but sadly, I think he is dead.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #8
Babyface BK
<3===BK

Thanked 1,856 Times in 844 Posts
Babyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant futureBabyface BK has a brilliant future

This is quite a terrible thing to happen with most of the Asian countries already under threat of going underwater in 50 years time, plus the recent food crisis. I send out my condolensces to all the families that have had losses in this unfortunate event.

"The road to success is always under construction. "
Babyface BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
YoshiToshi
YoshiToshi say grawr.

YoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these partsYoshiToshi is infamous around these parts

In the aftermath of the earthquake, more than 50,000 bodies were found dead.
edit: Ah, that was a mistake. It is estimated that they will find more than 50,000 bodies.

1.14.20.9 - 14.15.15.2|hope to be more active...

yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshitoshi//yoshi toshi
YoshiToshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
OffTheChain

OffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure Evil

Shit is bad. Asia is getting bad luck atm. First Burma, now this.
I wish they had made better buildings, but I guess it can't be helped.
Just hope everyone who has family members and friends out there are alive, and if not R.I.P.
I don't even like looking at the tv reports anymore...
OffTheChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #11
hippiematt
Chuunin

hippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of lighthippiematt is a glorious beacon of light

They found this kid that was buried beneath the school, he was buried for 80 hours yet still alive. It is so sad, on the news many people were crying, kinda killed my friday.

Brawl

Mario Cart

hippiematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #12
Sevi
Toothpick

Sevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to beholdSevi is a splendid one to behold

There was no warning, was there? With Tornadoes and Hurricanes, there's usually a warning. People have a chance to evacuate before it happens. Here there was nothing.
Asia's got it bad.
Sevi is offline   Reply With Quote