Anime insults Islam. - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > General > World News

World News Post and discuss news articles on recent world events here!

Old 05-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
OffTheChain

OffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure EvilOffTheChain Pure Evil
Anime insults Islam.

Quote:
Publisher to suspend cartoon sales after Muslims say it insults Islam

Thursday 22nd May, 09:06 AM JST

CAIRO —

A popular Japanese cartoon is sparking off outcries in the Muslim world where some fear it could fuel a backlash not seen since European papers carried cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed and a Dutch lawmaker released a controversial film earlier this year.

Shueisha Inc, a Japanese publisher involved in the production of the cartoon ‘‘JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure’’ and its animation version, suspended sales of some of the original comics and the DVD series Thursday, but said the material was not intended to be offensive.

At issue is a 90-second segment from “JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure,” which depicts Dio Brando, a villain, picking up a Quran from a bookshelf and apparently examining it as he orders the execution of the hero and his friends.

The animated movie is based on the wildly popular comic book by Hirohiko Araki, which has been carried in Shonen Jump, a weekly magazine, from 1987 to 2003. The cartoon series’ pirated version with Arabic subtitles has been distributed on websites since March 2007.

After a viewer posted negative comments and the still scene, it sparked off more protests. Eventually responses were carried on more than 300 Arab and Islamic Web forums with some accusing Japan of insulting the Quran.

Sheikh Abdul Hamid Attrash, chairman of the Fatwa (religious edict)
Committee at Al-Azhar, the highest Sunni authority based in Cairo, dismissed the cartoon as an insult to Islam.

‘‘This scene depicts Muslims as terrorists, which is not true at all,’’ he said. ‘‘This is an insult to the religion and the producers would be considered to be enemies of Islam.’’

In responding to the accusation, the Shueisha official explained that it was ‘‘a simple mistake.’’

‘‘Neither the original comic nor the animation intends to treat Muslims as villains. But as a result, the cartoon offended Muslims.’’ said the official. ‘‘We apologize for the unpleasantness that the cartoon may have caused and will carefully consider how to deal with religious and culture themes.’’

The official said one of animators came up with the idea of using an Arabic book in order to give the scene a more authentic feel as the villain was hiding out in Egypt.

With that in mind he went to the library and found a book, which turned out to be the Quran and inserted it. No one realized the mistake as no one could read or speak Arabic, the official said.

Other reactions included website postings citing their offense as the suggested correlation between the villain and his reading of the holy book, as well as the underlying message suggesting that children who read the Quran will become villains.

‘‘There are prejudiced pictures about the greatest and purest divine book, our Great Quran, in a new cartoon series called JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure...what is the purpose of putting these pictures?’’ a well circulated Internet message asks.

Although the Japanese publisher explained that the Quran was not included in the original comic book version, the scene appears in episode 6 of the cartoon’s first original animation video, ‘‘Stardust Crusaders,’’ which was produced by A.P.P.P (Another Push Pin Planning) Co in 2001.

‘‘There is a wicked man in a cartoon series called JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure and this villain appears in a clip while reading Holy Quran...even the Japanese began to depict Muslims as evil persons and terrorists in their cartoon films,’’ said Qannas al-Jazira, one of al-Hesbah most active members.

Al-Hesbah is a major Islamic website used as a clearing house for Islamic militants’ statement.

Despite the apology from the company, some such as Aly Yassin, are not willing to accept the error.

As an Egyptian Internet cafe owner in Cairo, Yassin, believes the objective of the Japanese producers is to say, ‘‘This evil character derives its subversive ideas from this book, the Holy Quran...this indicates the deep-rooted rancor against Islam and the misconceptions about Quran meanings.’’ ‘‘This is unjustifiable,’’ he said.

Still others, such as Gamal Qutb, the former head of the Fatwa Committee at Al-Azhar, were even tougher, suggesting that Muslims would boycott Japanese products unless Japan takes action against the controversial video.

‘‘Muslims will be forced to adopt a position toward their civilization, from arguing their worship through boycotting their products to responding in the same manner if necessary,’’ he noted.

On the other hand, Henry, 50, a Christian administrator in Beirut, who only gave his first name, spoke about his concern about Muslims’ intolerance toward freedom of expression. He thought that a boycott of Japanese products or an attack on producers was going too far as he pointed to negative examples prevalent in the Hollywood film industry.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/n...-insults-islam

Quote:
‘‘This scene depicts Muslims as terrorists, which is not true at all,’’ he said. ‘‘This is an insult to the religion and the producers would be considered to be enemies of Islam.’’
OffTheChain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Hokage4354
SOTW Host

Hokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Anime insults Islam.

Deplicting them as "terriorists" doesn't need
to cause some huge debate.

Besides, if they were smart, they wouldn't
start a debate by going all
"You're rascist"
on them. =/

~~~~~~~~~~

Join Kongregate today!
Hokage4354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
Kushina
Lost Visionary

Kushina has a spectacular aura aboutKushina has a spectacular aura aboutKushina has a spectacular aura aboutKushina has a spectacular aura about

Hasn't this happened already like a couple years back.
Honestly every show you watch now a days has something to do with putting down races. Hell if any of you watch mind of Mencia you know what I'm talking about.
The point that its now in anime is no suprise to me. South Park had issues with this a while back and they've been doing this shit for years. I honestly don't see the big deal.
They need to learn to get over these things. It's only the author's point of view and thus shouldn't be taken so seriously. I get the fact that this could cause immense turmoil in those regions but seriously it's just a cartoon!!!

Credit to iKayos for the sig ♥
Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, "Let there be lulz," and there was lulz. God saw that the lulz was good, and He separated the lulz from the unfunny. God called the lulz "Encyclopedia Dramatica," and the Unfunny he called "Uncyclopedia." And there was pr0n, and there was pedophiles — the first internets.

—Genesis - The Bible
Kushina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
Shikamaru2007
Special Jounin

Shikamaru2007 is a glorious beacon of lightShikamaru2007 is a glorious beacon of lightShikamaru2007 is a glorious beacon of lightShikamaru2007 is a glorious beacon of lightShikamaru2007 is a glorious beacon of lightShikamaru2007 is a glorious beacon of lightShikamaru2007 is a glorious beacon of lightShikamaru2007 is a glorious beacon of light

I highly agree that anime sometimes go off limits ... this is unacceptable ....
I'm glad that I didn't watch these Kindda Animes ....
Not all of Muslims are Terrorists .... Terrorisn has no Religion
Btw , I'm a Muslim

- FanClubs -
The Proud Owner Of :
Join Us at : Final Fantasy FC
A Proud Member Of :
~ The Official Shikamaru FC ~
~ The Uzumaki Naruto FC ~
~ The New Gaara Offical FanClub ~
~ The New Uchiha Clan FC ~
~ Kingdom Hearts FC ~

A Proud Co-Owner Of :
~ The "NEW" Madara Uchiha FC ~
Shikamaru2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
Hokage4354
SOTW Host

Hokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of lightHokage4354 is a glorious beacon of light

Shikamaru, You're back!
*glomps*

*cough* *cough*
Now back on topic...

Yea, that's kinda over the top a bit.

~~~~~~~~~~

Join Kongregate today!
Hokage4354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
Tsuna
♪S♥NE~소녀시대♪♪

Thanked 2,470 Times in 1,137 Posts
Tsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond reputeTsuna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokage4354
Deplicting them as "terriorists" doesn't need
to cause some huge debate.

Besides, if they were smart, they wouldn't
start a debate by going all
"You're rascist"
on them. =/
Lmao @ stealing Bal's post format.

This is messed up, though. I'm on the Muslim's side.
Tsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
Kushina
Lost Visionary

Kushina has a spectacular aura aboutKushina has a spectacular aura aboutKushina has a spectacular aura aboutKushina has a spectacular aura about

Don't get me wrong, I never said it was right but what you have to understand is they are just cartoons. It may not be right and many may find it offensive but at the same time you have those perverse humans that get off on making fun of other races. My point being you see this kind of thing everyday. I personally don't have issues with any race, I hate veryone equally as a person. Race really means nothing to me. As for the Quran, I do realize it's a holy book to the islamic people and that making a mockery of something like that is injustice but if you look around how many shows do you find with the bible being mocked and christianity being stepped on. All religous sects and belief systems have been subjected to this kind of act and what did they do about it? They moved on and cast it aside. Parents control what their children watch most of the time and religious icons give their views on whats acceptable in their beliefs. So if this is unacceptable to you then please by all means get into a world wind of arguments with the company and author of such media. Do't know how much good it will do you. But at the same time you could also be expressing your views to those around you and have them spread them amongst others and soon such inlfuencal dribble as this wont see the light of day except for a few minor idiots that would accept it.

Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, "Let there be lulz," and there was lulz. God saw that the lulz was good, and He separated the lulz from the unfunny. God called the lulz "Encyclopedia Dramatica," and the Unfunny he called "Uncyclopedia." And there was pr0n, and there was pedophiles — the first internets.

—Genesis - The Bible
Old 05-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
Miburo

I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, how fucking stupid are these crybaby muslims? Holy shit, bad people can read religious books? No way! Doesn't mean the book, or people that subscribe to the principles written in the book, are evil or bad in anyway because some bad cartoon character reads it. It doesn't even come close to implying it either. What kind of shitty ass logic is that?

And even if it there was actually something in there that is meant to insult muslims, then it is still too fucking bad. These crybabies need to grow the fuck up and realize that people's freedom of expression shouldn't be limited just because some baby-dicks' panties got all bunched up.

People hate scientologists because of shit just like this. It's muslims like this that give Islam a bad name, not fucking cartoons.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
speedhost101
Genin

speedhost101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Racist bastards.I'M A MUSLIM.Racism has shown up in a place I would have least expected.Manga/Anime.Terrorism has no religion.George bush is a bitch.I have no idea why I just said the G Bush thing, but he can shut his crap about nuclear wepons coz' *cough* usa nuked japan *cough*.I didn't ask for these extremists did I.All I ask is that they don't say that they all are extremists.You can't walk down the streets these days without a policeman with their eyes on you, while a white guy is mugging someone.Fuck them.They can go suck Israel's dicks, when and if they get any.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #10
Kushina
Lost Visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, how fucking stupid are these crybaby muslims? Holy shit, bad people can read religious books? No way! Doesn't mean the book, or people that subscribe to the principles written in the book, are evil or bad in anyway because some bad cartoon character reads it. It doesn't even come close to implying it either. What kind of shitty ass logic is that?

And even if it there was actually something in there that is meant to insult muslims, then it is still too fucking bad. These crybabies need to grow the fuck up and realize that people's freedom of expression shouldn't be limited just because some baby-dicks' panties got all bunched up.

People hate scientologists because of shit just like this. It's muslims like this that give Islam a bad name, not fucking cartoons.

GO MIBS!!!!

Pretty much the exact same thing I said but much cruder XD

Speed- the point we are tryin to make is that yes racism is bad but get over it, its done all around the world and cartoons and comics are no exception.
If you try and sensor shit like this it's only going to get worse. If you dont like what you see then don't look at it. As for all the american shit you just mentioned, Im really in no state to go into that with you. There are belief systems in this country and every where else around the world that are scrutinized just as much as another. Racism is no exception to this.

My whole statement in a nutshell:

Get the hell over it or go cry to someone who cares!!!! This shit is done everywhere and anyone who actually lets it bother them is just lame. kthnxbai

—Genesis - The Bible

Last edited by Kushina; 05-23-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:55 PM   #11
Miburo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushina View Post
Pretty much the exact same thing I said but much cruder XD
Yeah, I just wanted to get a cruder version up in here. ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedhost101 View Post
Racist bastards.I'M A MUSLIM.Racism has shown up in a place I would have least expected.Manga/Anime.Terrorism has no religion.George bush is a bitch.I have no idea why I just said the G Bush thing, but he can shut his crap about nuclear wepons coz' *cough* usa nuked japan *cough*.I didn't ask for these extremists did I.All I ask is that they don't say that they all are extremists.You can't walk down the streets these days without a policeman with their eyes on you, while a white guy is mugging someone.Fuck them.They can go suck Israel's dicks, when and if they get any.
Lol@bolded.

And there wasn't any racism (Or, more relevantly, insults towards any religion) in the cartoon. It's just a bunch of pussies looking for any excuse possible, no matter how silly and stupid it is, to cry all over the place.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #12
speedhost101
Genin

speedhost101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Whatever.Then if you acept that trash, except this!Scottich are bastards, seriously, one tried to bully me, I knocked the shit out of him.Nigga stole my bike, na nigga stole, na (the funny part about that one is that a nigga made that fad, and I do belive someone stole my bros bike):http://youtube.com/watch?v=tFt9Dp2nGYk
Look at , india say to da balck girl :We want white girls for the cheerleaders.Lol.This will teach you.Whatever.All I know is, not the fact of just this situation, the fact that muslims get a bad name.Anyone who doesn't like muslims can go sleep with some isrealy and burn in hell.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:45 PM   #13
Introspection
Academy Student

Introspection is an unknown quantity at this point

There a few bottom lines that people should take from this. If they have a problem with Islam being associating with terrorism, than they should do something about the Islamic terrorist. Since, well, the Islamic fundamentalist terrorist ARE ISLAMIC! Somebody is always going to be insulted by something, the key here is to learn to get a sense of humor. Unless its directly bashing you, get over it. Watch Carlos Mencia, that show efficiently portrays the way people should view offensive material, especially those with humorous backgrounds.

And I am against Islams, the religion, not the people and pro reason. You see, to a fundamentalist Islam the Quran, must be followed, and it states anyone who is not one, must die. I've looked it up, its there, those people suck that religion sucks. But reason at least makes those who do realize how much bull shit that is, to not go along with it. Point being, its because of reason not Islam that makes some people good. Good people, not good Islams. Fuck Islam.

If I have to change some stuff- okay, but this is a little emotional for me.

Last edited by Introspection; 05-23-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Introspection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #14
Kushina
Lost Visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Introspection View Post
There a few bottom lines that people should take from this. If they have a problem with Islam being associating with terrorism, than they should do something about the Islamic terrorist. Since, well, the Islamic fundamentalist terrorist ARE ISLAMIC! Somebody is always going to be insulted by something, the key here is to learn to get a sense of humor. Unless its directly bashing you, get over it. Watch Carlos Mencia, that show efficiently portrays the way people should view offensive material, especially those with humorous backgrounds.

And I am against Islams, the religion, not the people and pro reason. You see, to a fundamentalist Islam the Quran, must be followed, and it states anyone who is not one, must die. I've looked it up, its there, those people suck that religion sucks. But reason at least makes those who do realize how much bull shit that is, to not go along with it. Point being, its because of reason not Islam that makes some people good. Good people, not good Islams. Fuck Islam.

If I have to change some stuff- okay, but this is a little emotional for me.
I wouldnt change a thing, its your own opinion and you should hold to it. As for the Mencia comment, read back I already stated that but props to you for advancing it further. Also as far as religion goes I think all religions just suck. Too many rules to live by and to many things that if you dont do your screwed, Islam is no exception to that. I do not agree with how they treat women and I do not agree with many of the basic principles by which they guide their existance in this life. But as far as Im concerned I hate everyone equally unless you've made an impression on me and made me think you were actually worth my time to talk to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedhost101 View Post
Whatever.Then if you acept that trash, except this!Scottich are bastards, seriously, one tried to bully me, I knocked the shit out of him.Nigga stole my bike, na nigga stole, na (the funny part about that one is that a nigga made that fad, and I do belive someone stole my bros bike):http://youtube.com/watch?v=tFt9Dp2nGYk
Look at , india say to da balck girl :We want white girls for the cheerleaders.Lol.This will teach you.Whatever.All I know is, not the fact of just this situation, the fact that muslims get a bad name.Anyone who doesn't like muslims can go sleep with some isrealy and burn in hell.

Ok honestly your pushing the wrong buttons with this one. Can you seriously sit there and bitch about people making fun of your culture and heritage, saying its not right and all that shit. Then you turn around and start bashing other groups that seriously have nothing to do with you. You are the reason people avoid your type. Just because someone goes out and says something about your race you think it's ok to bash the rest of us. You a fucking hypocrite If I've ever seen one. You should be ashamed of yourself and what you stand for. I have a few Islamic friends my self that just laugh their ass of at this kind of crap, while you sit there and cry like a baby. Boo fuckin hoo, get over it, if you let shit like this get to you then you aren't even worth dirt I scrap of my shoes.

In the end we are all human and as such fighting, racism, hate, war, and all that bs comes with it. If you don't like it then off yourself right now and save the world and people around you the time and energy it would have taken to do it themselves and the crap they would have had to put up with while you were around.

—Genesis - The Bible
Old 05-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #15
Hiraku
Puppet Master

Hiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of lightHiraku is a glorious beacon of light

Man cry me a river no wander the middle east is baren and dry. They cry so much about being put down around the world were they are not the majority that we should respect there basic beliefs and such.

But when Christians or non muslims want to worship freely in muslim held lands they are threatened and attacked just becuase they are not muslim. To me that is racist and not acceptiable.

If Muslims world wide want us non believers to respect there beliefs and cultural diffrences in our lands that are not muslim dominated. Then they should learn to respect others beliefs with the same respect they want us to show them in our lands they must show the same respect to non muslims in muslim countrys.

the reason i said that the middle east is barren becuase all the salt there combined tears left behind dried up the land. ha ha.

does the image of the scorpion i drew offend muslims becuase what it represents.

The Look of Innocence
Hiraku is offline   Reply With Quote