Legalization of Substances - Page 2 - Fandom Forums
Fandom Forums

Go Back   Fandom Forums > Indepth Interests > Debates Section

Debates Section Enjoy a good discussion? This is the place for you! Only knowledgeable discussions allowed!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #16
Sesshomaru_55
Missing-Nin

Sesshomaru_55 is on a distinguished roadSesshomaru_55 is on a distinguished road
Re: Legalization of Substances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
Thing is, the same people who are likely to drive drunk are probably the same exact people who would do something like drive while on other drugs that impair them. So it really wouldn't be that much of an increase as you're making it out to be. People who do stupid shit while intoxicated can still do stupid shit while intoxicated as things are now, so you're not really changing things all that much.

On the flip side, if people could just go to a store to buy drugs then there really wouldn't be any real incentive to go to shady drug dealers to get them. That alone would drastically cut down on crime, prisons wouldn't be overflowing with people in there for drug related crimes, etc.

Sure, in an ideal society no one would abuse drugs, ever. But that's not going to happen, ever. Making them as safe as possible, allowing people the right to do what they want so long as it's not harming other people (Doing drugs alone doesn't hurt anyone else directly, after all. And no illegal drug is worse than legal shit as a means of causing indirect harm, really.), and pretty much eliminating shady business via getting rid of dealers seems to far outweigh any potential negatives. Unless I'm really missing something huge here.

With the people who are so desperate for drugs that causes the crimes, It will be the same, only a little differant, Robbing drug stores at gun point, knife point, etc. I really dont think we wants all our stores that sell drugs to be robbed every week. I really hate my country :P I'm moving to Japan after I become a lawyer.
Sesshomaru_55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2008, 05:54 PM   #17
Miburo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesshomaru_55 View Post
With the people who are so desperate for drugs that causes the crimes, It will be the same, only a little differant, Robbing drug stores at gun point, knife point, etc. I really dont think we wants all our stores that sell drugs to be robbed every week. I really hate my country :P I'm moving to Japan after I become a lawyer.
And people do that now, except they rob stores for money to buy drugs from shady drug dealers rather than taking drugs from stores. Nothing would be getting worse in that regard.

Also, I hear bullet proof glass does wonders. If my movie theater has that shit for the ticket guys, I'm sure a drug store can follow suit. I'm sure proper security measures would be taken.

Besides, since the risk isn't so damn huge for selling drugs like it is now, and availability would go up as well, a lot of drugs wouldn't be so expensive. Which means people would be a lot less likely to risk huge jail terms for armed robbery for relatively inexpensive consumables.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:35 PM   #18
RNB
El Topo

Thanked 1,887 Times in 822 Posts
RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesshomaru_55 View Post
It would not, If drugs we're legalized, More people would want to try It out, even the people who never have done any drugs, Underage teenagers get their hands on cigarets, alcohol and weed easily enough already, If drugs get legalized, It will be even easier to get, even for underage children. Maybe the crime will decrease, but more and more accidents will happen, and our future generations will just get dummer and dummer If everyone Is doing drugs from now on.

(By the way Im not just talking about weed.)

EDIT: Do you do any drugs DarkAztek?
Yeah because only dumb people do drugs.

HELLOOO, you have The Beatles, (Greatest rock band ever) tons of artists, Bill Hicks, etc. I would rather hang out with a druggie than some person who watches that drug we call TV all day long. The fact that TV is legal, but hallucinogens aren't is 100% retarded.

- Heraclitus
RNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #19
Mr.Magical_Flying_TwixBar
Genin

Mr.Magical_Flying_TwixBar has a spectacular aura aboutMr.Magical_Flying_TwixBar has a spectacular aura aboutMr.Magical_Flying_TwixBar has a spectacular aura aboutMr.Magical_Flying_TwixBar has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
HELLOOO, you have The Beatles, (Greatest rock band ever) tons of artists, Bill Hicks, etc. I would rather hang out with a druggie than some person who watches that drug we call TV all day long. The fact that TV is legal, but hallucinogens aren't is 100% retarded.
exactly, drugs aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be, it effects everyone in different ways, just like alcohol does, and very few get so violent that they "kill" people

Rep me Green and i'll rep you back.
::Proud Co-Owner Of The::
::Own Clan FC::

::Ouran High School Host FC::

::Proud Member Of The::
::Shikamaru FC::

Mr.Magical_Flying_TwixBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:54 AM   #20
Nic
Missing-Nin

Nic is infamous around these partsNic is infamous around these parts

I think it would be nice to have pot legalized, then i wouldn't have to put up with this medical marijuana shit.
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:18 AM   #21
Ryuzaki
Academy Student

Ryuzaki is an unknown quantity at this point

Should they legalize weed? I am so apathetic about this issue because I don't smoke in general. And even if they were to legalize weed, it wouldn't really effect my life at all.

Most that do smoke weed usually smoke cigarettes which is actually worse, in the long run. So it's not really encouraging other people to smoke, just ones that already do. Some that smoke weed usually do it because they are in that "rebellious" stage and don't really care, except that they want to do it to tick their parents off. We all know the side-effects, so if we smoke, we take on the same risk as cigarette smoker and after a while, our lungs will be black and won't be able to breathe. The reason why it won't be legalized is solely based on the fact that it doesn't naturally grow within this country.

My thoughts on smoking are still the same as I was in high school, why would you forcefully inject chemicals within your body that automatically cause you harm? Now, I don't tell people how to live their lives, if you smoke weed then fine, be my guest. I don't smoke because it's healthy and I know on a molecular level how dangerous drugs really are.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:36 AM   #22
Nic
Missing-Nin

Nic is infamous around these partsNic is infamous around these parts

Please, we all know why people want pot, to get high. Not to rebel against your parents.
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:24 AM   #23
RNB
El Topo

RNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the roughRNB is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuzaki View Post
My thoughts on smoking are still the same as I was in high school, why would you forcefully inject chemicals within your body that automatically cause you harm? Now, I don't tell people how to live their lives, if you smoke weed then fine, be my guest. I don't smoke because it's healthy and I know on a molecular level how dangerous drugs really are.
You argument is shallow and you assume that everyone wants a long life. Now I may have a bias towards any issue on drugs, since I can never take them because of a medical condition, but I don't think it matters. This is because I personally don't want a very long life. Now, if one is given to me, then sure I guess I will take it, but I think that my focus in life should be on something else other than how long a life I live. People that are so hype about their health tend to not give a shit about other countries where people are starving so I don't want to turn into that mindset.

- Heraclitus
Old 06-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #24
sheik
S-Ranked Shinobi

sheik will become famous soon enoughsheik will become famous soon enoughsheik will become famous soon enough

I don't think legalizing marijuana would do any good that would greatly outweigh the bad.

I sure as hell don't won't kids growing up thinking that it is okay if their parent is a doped up pothead and that they can be one too when they grow up because pot is legal.

Appeasement is no way of solving our drug problem. People put poisinous substances in their system so they can escape their problems with money, relationships, stress. Giving in and letting them legalize pot is no way of solving our problem with drug use.

We need to make progress in the human race and drugs are like soda or a sugary candy. They may give you a quick boost but after that you come crashing down. Do you honestly believe we will make any progress as a nation by letting drug use be legal.

Nothing great has been achieved through marijuana. People say it helps enlighten their mind or helps them to be creative but it does not. If pot smoking made people artistic whether it is through music, acting then there sure would be a lot of gifted individuals. I personally know a lot of pot heads and they have poor grades, very lazy, have poor attention spans and are not very creative. Artistic ability and creativity is achieved through hard-work and dedication, not through something you smoke.

Pot doesn't just effect yourself, it effects the whole community and it does nothing for the advancement for mankind. Appeasing druggies will only convince them that if they beg hard enough and give out more pro-marijuana half-assed research, they can legalize other drugs too.

The purpose of life is to leave it a better place than it was before you came into this world. I don't see how marijuana would make this world a better place.

What happened to Typhoon_4434?
made by rasenganfox

Last edited by sheik; 06-24-2008 at 06:00 PM.
sheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #25
RNB
El Topo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheik View Post
I don't think legalizing marijuana would do any good that would greatly outweigh the bad.

I sure as hell don't won't kids growing up thinking that it is okay if their parent is a doped up pothead and that they can be one too when they grow up because pot is legal.
Kids already think that...

Quote:
Appeasement is no way of solving our drug problem. People put poisinous substances in their system so they can escape their problems with money, relationships, stress. Giving in and letting them legalize pot is no way of solving our problem with drug use.
You also have the TV, comfort foods, sex, sports, etc. We going to ban those too? If you ban sex every man alive will hunt you down, including me...

Quote:
We need to make progress in the human race and drugs are like soda or a sugary candy. They may give you a quick boost but after that you come crashing down. Do you honestly believe we will make any progress as a nation by letting drug use be legal.
Again, who gives a fuck about the US? The US is the fucking government, not the people. I think we will make progress when drugs are legal because we will actually be able to follow a simple scientific principal that states that you can't back down on data. The ignorant government doesn't care, and average Christians only care about creating a theocracy.

Quote:
Nothing great has been achieved through marijuana. People say it helps enlighten their mind or helps them to be creative but it does not. If pot smoking made people artistic whether it is through music, acting then there sure would be a lot of gifted individuals. I personally know a lot of pot heads and they have poor grades, very lazy, have poor attention spans and are not very creative. Artistic ability and creativity is achieved through hard-work and dedication, not through something you smoke.
It does. The Beatles music wasn't really that good and original until they drugged up. Anyone who disagrees is deaf. Seriously, if there is one thing on this earth we can prove it is that The Beatles got better after they took drugs.

Bill Hicks = Greatest comedian ever was a drug addict.

Quote:
Pot doesn't just effect yourself, it effects the whole community and it does nothing for the advancement for mankind. Appeasing druggies will only convince them that if they beg hard enough and give out more pro-marijuana half-assed research, they can legalize other drugs too.
@Bold: Man, this sounds like you are talking about Television.

You know, I have been thinking, it must be a terrible day when people are able to smoke what they want to smoke just like this country was founded. It must have been great when the tyrants (English, but now present day US governent/democrats/republicans) were overtaxing them.

Quote:
The purpose of life is to leave it a better place than it was before you came into this world. I don't see how marijuana would make this world a better place.
Woah, hold the phone! When did you prove this philosophy to override the rights of others?

- Heraclitus
Old 09-22-2008, 04:21 AM   #26
Ryuzaki
Academy Student

Ryuzaki is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Legalization of Substances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckboy View Post
You argument is shallow and you assume that everyone wants a long life. Now I may have a bias towards any issue on drugs, since I can never take them because of a medical condition, but I don't think it matters. This is because I personally don't want a very long life. Now, if one is given to me, then sure I guess I will take it, but I think that my focus in life should be on something else other than how long a life I live. People that are so hype about their health tend to not give a shit about other countries where people are starving so I don't want to turn into that mindset.
If you would like me to, I can delve deeper into reasons which are supported medically why people should not smoke it and why it should not be legalized, regardless if people want to die or if people want to live. I didn't do so well this is an anime forum and you guys are just kids and I didn't want to be a killjoy for anyone smoking.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:48 AM   #27
zer0systm
Antagonist

Thanked 8,057 Times in 2,875 Posts
zer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nicezer0systm is just really nice

I dont think Substances should be legalized, over here in aus, the ICE epidemic is traumatic, people are gettin their buzz and going round committing crimes to help get their next fix or out of enhanced emotions the drug gives you, an example is a guy was freaking out after taking a hit of ice and his friends called the paramedics to come help him, these paramedics have had to back right off because this guy came out swinging and throwing shit being abusive, when they finally managed to subdue him after gettin the cops involved when he arrived at hospital he hit a nurse that came up to check on him, there are reports on the news over drug related bashings that leave people in critical conditions, people go on how pot i harmless, if you want smoke it i don't care i have mates who smoke it but the ones i know who have been smoking it for the longest eventually loose the buzz they got when they first started smoking and a couple have tried other stuff looking to get that same buzz they got when they started smoking dope starting small leads to bigger things, you go from pot to ekky's to ice and so forth, there is a reason behind why his shit is illegal, but like i said before, if you want it, take it, i personally want none of it and will stay that way...
Old 01-26-2009, 03:54 AM   #28
LightDreamer
Jounin

LightDreamer is on a distinguished road

As far as my position in this debate. I'm not sure yet, I need to read more articles and see what measures could be done to make the drugs safe, etc, vs how much collateral damage it would cause in terms of drugged driving or rapings etc.

But I recently watched one of those "intervention" documentaries. And it had a very young girl (I don't know her exact age because I didn't start from the beginning) but I guestimate around 19. Who lives in the bad part of Baltimore and she's heavily addicted to cocaine and heroine. She became a prostitute to earn money in order to get the drugs. She didn't want to be a prostitute she hates it. She said she has to shoot up to forget what she's done and she has to shoot up before work because it's hard to let the men touch her without being high.

You can say, being a prostitute is her choice, but with that heavy an addiction, whose else is going to hire someone who's high all the time and just physically looks repugnant.

She can't shoot up through her arm anymore because she has too many wounds that she can't find her vein so she has to shoot up in her neck and she's so thin because she barely eats because all her money is going to her addiction. She stole $400 worth of drugs from a drug dealer. Her own step- father said she'd either be killed by doing something bad or die from the drugs.

What's even sadder is the first time she didn't even shoot herself up somebody shot her up. In fact the girl WANTS to quit but she can't.

I know the whole idea with legalizing drug is so that we can control the drugs and make them safe. But we forget how easily it's the drugs that control people and what lengths people will go to to feed their addictions.

The girl has very loving parents as well, a mom who cries every day begging her daughter to come home and get into rehab.

It's hard to sympathize with her now, especially those of you who want to legalize the drugs. But imagine it was your own daughter who dropped out of high school because she couldn't concentrate while she was high and became a prostitute. Obviously you can say don't sell to minors but you can't honestly believe people under 19 don't drink or smoke.

And what exactly is the message of legalizing drugs? That it's okay. And there are far too many cases like hers for it to be okay.

--
If you gave me the letters hrt you could give me [ea] to get h[ea]rt or [u] to get h[u]rt, but I'd rather have hurt than a heart without [u]
- GOD I love that. You could give me a hundred thousand million years and I wouldn't have thought of that.

--
All this time I've spent trying to change into someone you would love, I didn't notice you changed into someone I can't love anymore. Goodbye My King .

---

The adulation of strangers.
LightDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #29
Mal
Scotch

Thanked 10,818 Times in 3,844 Posts
Mal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of lightMal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightDreamer View Post
What's even sadder is the first time she didn't even shoot herself up somebody shot her up. In fact the girl WANTS to quit but she can't.

The girl has very loving parents as well, a mom who cries every day begging her daughter to come home and get into rehab.
Those paragraphs are completely contradictory and destroy any sympathy I may have had for her in the first place.

Quote:
It's hard to sympathize with her now, especially those of you who want to legalize the drugs. But imagine it was your own daughter who dropped out of high school because she couldn't concentrate while she was high and became a prostitute. Obviously you can say don't sell to minors but you can't honestly believe people under 19 don't drink or smoke.

And what exactly is the message of legalizing drugs? That it's okay. And there are far too many cases like hers for it to be okay.
If this was my daughter, she'd hopefully know better. If not, she'd be going to rehab with no choice in the matter.

Of course people under the legal age drink and smoke. You know how else we can look at illegal drugs? Imagine they have a "legal age" of 200. "Far too many cases like her's"? It sounds like people are doing the drugs whether they are of "legal age" or not. Changing that "age" is not going to increase the number of people who do it.

I can see the "it's okay" message you pointed out as possibly increasing the number of users, but tobacco is legal already and the properly informed kids know that while it's not illegal, it's still not good. It's all about parents not being idiots, and being capable of raising discerning kids. If parents are raising stupid kids, then drugs are the least of society's worries.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #30
ShinobiKnight
Silberner Held

ShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really niceShinobiKnight is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Those paragraphs are completely contradictory and destroy any sympathy I may have had for her in the first place.

If this was my daughter, she'd hopefully know better. If not, she'd be going to rehab with no choice in the matter.

Of course people under the legal age drink and smoke. You know how else we can look at illegal drugs? Imagine they have a "legal age" of 200. "Far too many cases like her's"? It sounds like people are doing the drugs whether they are of "legal age" or not. Changing that "age" is not going to increase the number of people who do it.

I can see the "it's okay" message you pointed out as possibly increasing the number of users, but tobacco is legal already and the properly informed kids know that while it's not illegal, it's still not good. It's all about parents not being idiots, and being capable of raising discerning kids. If parents are raising stupid kids, then drugs are the least of society's worries.
@bold: Bullshit. There are those who don't do drugs because they fear the legal repercussions. If bans are removed, those people will almost certainly begin drug use, and in due time, abuse.
@underlined: Again, bullshit. Do you think kids do drugs because of bad parenting? Maybe that factors into it, but that's not the biggest influence by a long shot. The problem is dumbass kids convincing other dumbass kids that doing drugs is cool, and will get them into the "in" crowd, etc. By the time a kid enters junior high, or at least high school, they care more about their friends' opinions than their parents'. If drugs are legalized, it will reinforce the idea that drugs are okay, so when their friends offer to get them high, they'll be more than ready to do so.

For the record, I am against the legalization of drugs. I hate all drugs that are addictive and don't have positive effects that outweigh a possible addiction (nothing outweighs certain addiction). If I could have things my way, cigarettes and alcohol would be illegal (or at least very strictly controlled in alcohol's case). Of course, we know what would happen then, so it's impossible. Why you would willingly surrender your free will and your money to an inanimate substance, I'll never know. But that sort of stupidity shouldn't be encouraged. Besides, at least as first, I'm certain people under the influence of drugs would cause harm to others when they normally wouldn't. Drinking and drugs are two very different things in the minds of many people. The masses don't always think logically.

Also, to those who say legalizing drugs will shut down drug dealers: Do you really think prosperous dealers with an excellent income will just close up shop and exile themselves? Fuck no. They'll compete. They'll invent something so ridiculously powerful, the government would never consider making it legal, and they'll sell it to people when the strongest legal stuff just won't do anymore. Basic economics.

Also, RNB, shut up about fucking Bill Hicks. Being an addict does not equate to being a good comedian.

Last edited by ShinobiKnight; 01-26-2009 at 07:11 PM.
ShinobiKnight is offline   Reply With Quote